Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My problem with the Norse
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03 September 2007 06:08 PM EDT (US)   
Thoughts from myslef and others I have compiled:

The Norse have so many problems IMO,
Ox carts are so vulnerable first off, anyone can raid them and aim for the ox cart, due to its speed it will probably be dead by the time anyone arrives or it can be ushered back to safety. It is especially vulnerable in forward hunts because once it's dead, your villagers are basically useless until the slow lumbering ox cart can be created and walk to the hunters.

Ulfsark, the classical (age) backbone of the army, which should be compared to Hoplite and Murmillo are awful (comparably). While they may defeat the Egyptian spearmen, thats no feat as the egyptian classical backbone would probably be a Myth Unit or something. Some may say "Oh. no its not the ulfsark, it's the heresir". No, that's just plain worng. Compare the Hersir to other units liket he murmillo and hoplite
-It's not good against cavalry
-It has a slow train time
-It's not even similar in design, it has no shield or weapon even, they walk around carrying a hammer!

Other quick points:
The gatherer/dwarf system scares away beginners

Their scouting is poor, should the ulfsark be scouting or building? Do you really want to risk him being killed and have to make another one?

They can do NO pierce damage, besides the slow late game ballista, (which I'll admit I like) anything bad against archers is at an advantage.

Their buildings are weak, while they claim to be amazing at FB's when you think about, they are really pretty bad. The soldiers can build, ok that's fine, but what if you get attacked? Should you be building or fighting??

Discuss

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
Everything that shines ain't always
gonna be gold.
Replies:
posted 03 September 2007 06:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 50  
1. ulfsarks have a quick train time, therein lies their strength. Spearmen have a fast train time which is why they would be considered the backbone of a classical eggy..

and as for the scouting. How would you expect the ulfsark can die besides zeus bolt or bad routing (which is your fault for not knowing an estimate of where his town center should be i mean honestly).

murmillos and hoplites are strong yes, but have you noticed they are considered to be classical fighting armies..

many greeks fight classical, and almost every atlantean will have some classical fight time in.

gatherer/dwarf system is quite easy, and really its a beginner that its scaring off, which after they try something else, they will get the hang of this no problem.

they're scouting is actually quite nice, and why should something not be able to build and scout?? 2 ulfs is a decent thing to do in many cases

trolls do pierce.

they can build forward bases on all except greek because, as you said, they're army builds... so what does that mean, that means they can have some 10-20 builders without throwing off they're economy, which grows quite rapidly.

If an enemy attacks, kill it, nobody is gonna stand around in build (except maybe 1 unit while the rest fight).

Again, they train fast, classical they aren't the strongest but they train fast, thus they can stand they're own.

another point:

try pinning a classical fight atlantean vs. an ulf flood norse.

they're murmillos are stronger but 2 murmillos training to every 3 ulfsarks, as well as the fact that ulfsarks get bonus to cheiros AND turma... you are screwed.
posted 03 September 2007 06:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 50  
You contradict yourself...
murmillos and hoplites are strong yes, but have you noticed they are considered to be classical fighting armies..
Implying that the Norse are not...
try pinning a classical fight atlantean vs. an ulf flood norse.
A classical strategy.
Again, they train fast, classical they aren't the strongest but they train fast, thus they can stand they're own.
Besides the reasonably fast ulfsark, the other train times are no better then other civilizations.
How would you expect the ulfsark can die besides zeus bolt or bad routing (which is your fault for not knowing an estimate of where his town center should be i mean honestly).
I have caught an ulfsark standing idly by my hunters for only a moment and killed him with them, easily.

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 03 September 2007 06:48 PM EDT (US)     3 / 50  
i see no contradiction in your quotes, and he must have been out of it to have an idle scout, yes?

how often do you see norse go to heroic later than 11 minutes???

I RARELY EVER see this, so therefore the norse are an aggressive race, not a classical fight race. They fight all ages whereas in most cases.

Egyptian: heroic age race
Greek: Classical/Mythic age race
Atlantean: Classical/Mythic age race.
Norse: Evenly aggressive in all ages.
posted 03 September 2007 06:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 50  
Ox carts are so vulnerable first off, anyone can raid them and aim for the ox cart, due to its speed it will probably be dead by the time anyone arrives or it can be ushered back to safety. It is especially vulnerable in forward hunts because once it's dead, your villagers are basically useless until the slow lumbering ox cart can be created and walk to the hunters.
The same can happen to egypt and greece if their drop site is razed. Villagers can't build another if they're being attacked. The end result is the same.
Ulfsark, the classical (age) backbone of the army, which should be compared to Hoplite and Murmillo are awful (comparably). While they may defeat the Egyptian spearmen, thats no feat as the egyptian classical backbone would probably be a Myth Unit or something. Some may say "Oh. no its not the ulfsark, it's the heresir". No, that's just plain worng. Compare the Hersir to other units liket he murmillo and hoplite
-It's not good against cavalry
-It has a slow train time
-It's not even similar in design, it has no shield or weapon even, they walk around carrying a hammer!
Ulfsarks aren't meant to fight in small numbers. They gain their advantage with fast train time so you can flood them. They also have higher speed and can build.

The hammer is the Hersir's weapon...
Their scouting is poor, should the ulfsark be scouting or building? Do you really want to risk him being killed and have to make another one?
You should build more than one ulfsark in archaic anyway. Not to mention they have better line of site than most units.
They can do NO pierce damage, besides the slow late game ballista, (which I'll admit I like) anything bad against archers is at an advantage.
Troll
Their buildings are weak, while they claim to be amazing at FB's when you think about, they are really pretty bad. The soldiers can build, ok that's fine, but what if you get attacked? Should you be building or fighting??
If you get attacked your troops are there to defend and your buildings can continue to make more troops. You can build towers too.
I have caught an ulfsark standing idly by my hunters for only a moment and killed him with them, easily.
That's poor player skill, not bad game design.

Confucious says, "Man who jump through screen door likely to strain himself."
posted 03 September 2007 06:59 PM EDT (US)     5 / 50  
the gatherer/dwarf thing confuses me, so i dont play norse...
posted 03 September 2007 07:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 50  
Norse are the most fun culture to play with, and the hardest IMO.

But its all about getting to know them better. And you clearly don't know them. Watch some Expert recorded games.
Watch my hero: StarSky.

Quoted from Ironclaw77:
Their buildings are weak, while they claim to be amazing at FB's when you think about, they are really pretty bad.
Who exactly claims that? FB does works vs other norse. GL doing a FH vs a Greek player!

Quoted from Ironclaw77:
The soldiers can build, ok that's fine, but what if you get attacked? Should you be building or fighting??
That was the only downsize I was also able to came up with, but other than that, its great! Your villagers are more busy in resources than building buildings, and if you have your army in one group, you can quickly building any kind of building you want.
When attacked, it's up to you to measure the strengh of your opponents army and the consequences of not stoping the construction.

-invent00r

My Work: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WIP: Master XS Battle Micro AI
Paused: AI (%4.247)
Os segredos são de quem os souber guardar.
posted 03 September 2007 08:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 50  
But its all about getting to know them better. And you clearly don't know them. Watch some Expert recorded games.
I could watch expert recs of basically every god, there are some people who devote themselves to a god and will be those experts, but that does not make those gods better, it makes those players better.
That's poor player skill, not bad game design.
You tell me you have never told a scout to go off into tyhe black, then looked back at your economy and momentarily forgotten about him?

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
gonna be gold.
posted 03 September 2007 08:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 50  
I RARELY EVER see this, so therefore the norse are an aggressive race, not a classical fight race. They fight all ages whereas in most cases.
No, it's because early classical most norse players aq dwarves to gold. when they get 11 or so, they stop and start making woodies/foodies. If a norse gets 11 min. classical, either they are on water map or have small army.
trolls do pierce.
Shoot, I'm Odin.

Also, Loki/Thor only get a pierce damaging unit before mythic by choosing to go that god path. That means they give the other god and his/her bonuses up. All other civs don't have this problem.
posted 03 September 2007 08:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 50  
Ox carts are so vulnerable first off, anyone can raid them and aim for the ox cart
Yes you found a disadvantage. I will find u 2 advantages now:

• Ox - carts can be ordered to move closer to your gatherers without having to pay.
  • This ^^ also means that u can use the same ox -cart in wood for example, for an entire game. Meanwhile any other race (vanilla) has to use villager time / resources when building new gathering spots. (I would use 2 ox -cart per resource late game tho..)
  • Ox -carts are awsome meat-shields XD
Why do u care about beginners?
Their scouting is great IMO. Ulfsark has a big LoS. When he is done scouting, he builds a temple. Requires little practice to get used to it.
TA work almost the same, I think that norse players can live with them ( + ballistas + Trolls)
Their buildings are weak
I know
while they claim to be amazing at FB's when you think about, they are really pretty bad
When u think FB, u think norse
The soldiers can build, ok that's fine, but what if you get attacked? Should you be building or fighting??
U should build, then when ur done, u should attack; when u win the fight, u should build even more forward...
He lacked micro
posted 03 September 2007 09:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 50  
I've never had a problem with norse except for loki and odin.If you want to play norse i say LOOK AT BO'S!
posted 04 September 2007 05:17 AM EDT (US)     11 / 50  
Tbh Squeoo said almost everything that I would have responded here. I will still try to add my five cents:
Ox carts are so vulnerable first off, anyone can raid them and aim for the ox cart
I am always happy when I see my opponent go for my ox cart instead of my villagers:

• Ox carts have better armor than villagers and almost three times the hp, so they soak up damage far better.

• Ox carts have half the train time of a dwarf, so I can replace them faster (less TC time lost).

• Ox carts cannot fight back anyway, so I can send my cart running, while my vills attack the raiders, doing base hoplite damage to them. A moving target like a cart is way harder to hit for melee raiders than a stationary one. Often enough I beat back the whole raid without even losing the cart! In this case, I have lost nothing. Had he attacked my vills instead, I would at least have lost some before forcing him to flee - if I had managed to repulse his raiders at all when they kill my damage-dealing vills.

• Ox carts allow for way shorter delivery paths than any other vanilla race can dream to have on anything but gold.

As for the missing ox cart (in case it is actually killed), I can normally assess up front whether a raiding force will be able to kill my cart or not. If I foresee that the cart will go down, I order another in the nearest TC before it is even dead. While the raid lasts, my vills better spend their time fighting anyway instead of gathering - unless I am completely caught off guard and cannot send help early enough, so it is better for them to run. Either way they will hardly need a cart before there is peace again. And by that time, the replacement cart is almost there.

If there is no raid yet, but I know that I am gathering in a dangerous area (like in the middle of Anatolia where all the gold is), then I will be using two or three carts right away. Spending one or two additional pop slots on safety is not much of an issue in these special cases, and the pop is not even wasted, as I can deploy the carts around the mine to minimize delivery times. The impact of this is greater than you should expect: Remember that early on, 2 vills with cart gather faster from stragglers than 3 vills without! If you have like 17 dwarves around a mine, having two carts on two sides of the mine can easily compensate for the additional pop.
    Ulfsark, the classical (age) backbone of the army, which should be compared to Hoplite and Murmillo are awful (comparably).
    Not all units of all civs are the same, otherwise the game would be boring. From the 4 mainline infantry units of the 4 civs, the ulfsark ranks #3. Not brilliant, but not rock bottom either. And he is the infantry unit with the most available god-based special ups in the game (Thor, Odin, Forseti, Bragi, Tyr - they all have something special for the ulfsark, so you are not nailed down to one god if you want an extra boost for your ulfens). In fact, all three Norse main gods benefit the ulfsark in one way or another (Odin: Lone Wanderer, Thor: Extra armory ups, Loki: Even faster training time).
    Some may say "Oh. no its not the ulfsark, it's the heresir".
    I have never heard someone say that, and it would be nonsense anyway (unless you are Loki and get free MU from your hersirs). Hersirs lose to ulfsarks pop/cost-wise, so they are obviously not the alternative when plain firepower is called for.

The ulf is excellent for early rushes, where his fast training time is what counts. It is also the mainline infantry with the highest attack per pop in the game, making it excellent at attacking weakly-protected targets.

Basically, some units have their value in high hp, while others excel in attack. The ulfsark belongs to the latter category. This puts him at an advantage when it comes to healing: No matter which way of healing you use, all units regain hp at the same speed. Since the ulf has less max hp in return for his higher attack, he regains his combat value faster! You could say that every hp of an ulf is more valuable than, say, a hp of a jarl. Jarls have huge base hp, but a horribly crappy attack for their pop usage, and if they are near slain, you must let them rot for an eternity at your spring before they are back to full health. Bringing an ulf back to 100% firepower is a way quicker thing.

As for the "backbone" role, it is well known that RC play it for Norse in most games. No other civ has a human unit that unites speed, firepower, and flexibility to such a great extent like the RC. Once you have enough longhouses up so that training time stops being an issue, the RC is a breathtaking unit and certainly one of the major advantages of the Norse race. Compare the RC to Greek hippikons, for instance:

• 21% more attack per pop

• 5% more hp per pop

• more base hack armor equivalent to a 11% hack armor upgrade

• more base pierce armor equivalent to a 14% pierce armor upgrade

• 9% higher speed

• toxotes get a 0.9x penalty when firing at RC, but not against hippikons

• +75% attack against TA. Hippikons have no such bonus.

• the same bonus as hippikons against archers.

• +100% against siege. (TT only) Hippikons have no bonus here.

The only thing that hipps can compensate with is the fact that they need less space in combat, which makes their microing easier, helps their pathing and aids their fighting in narrow terrain. But still, at the sight of the above comparison you must draw the conclusion that either hipps are the lowest crap (which they are proven not to be) - or that RC are absolutely excellent, which they indeed are.
    You write that in a thread that you gave the title: "My problem with the Norse" So you rate yourself "beginner". Well then, I agree that Norse is not exactly the race I would recommend starting the game with.
    Their scouting is poor, should the ulfsark be scouting or building?
    There is not much to be built in early archaic, so you can start scouting. You can make another ulf for additional scouting/building later (for like 2/3 of the TC training time of a gatherer) - or leave the building task to hersirs that you train from your temple, depending on the game situation. In many cases you will also go Freyja, giving you a free MU that will easily reveal the whole map for you.

Anyway, you need not have the whole map revealed yet when you hit classical age. Once you have an army up and running, you can easily spare an ulf whom you waypoint over the remaining black areas, which he will then scout on his own while you forget him and care for other matters.
    "Anything bad against archers" is mainly infantry, against which the TA poses the best inf counter in the game. Yes, the TA beats the Eggy axeman when you use it the way any ranged unit should be used: In larger numbers behind a meat shield. In return for not having archers, Norse have excellent archer counters. Their backbone unit, the RC, already does a great job here. Tox are even penalized against RC as mentioned above. Huskarls offer additional help later by being as strong as ulfs in melee combat whilst being able to fight in archer fire and countering archers hands down.
    Their buildings are weak, while they claim to be amazing at FB's when you think about, they are really pretty bad.
    The weakness of their buildings lies in their inability to research the later building upgrades, but that is unimportant in classical age when the fb shines, because in those early ages the other civs do not get those upgrades either. It is the Atlantean race whose TCs suffer from a -25% hp penalty.
    Unlike the other civs, you have that choice. But when you are not attacked, you can build without an impact on your economy due to withdrawing precious villagers from their economy work. You also need not bother with aggressive animals when e.g. building docks.

Yes, there are also downsides. The most prominent of them is Norse needing 2 pop per builder when erecting a titan gate. But that is fine overall - the various races have differing strengths and weaknesses.
    Squeoo was right to criticize your opponent. When you do not have time to micro your scout manually, he should always be having waypoints, so he can never become idle. You will normally not be able to kill a waypointed ulf even if he runs right through your hunting group. And the enemy TC is always at the exact mirror position of your own TC, so you know up front where you better avoid waypointing your ulf to.

Darkness is a state of mind
    Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
    Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
  • posted 04 September 2007 06:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 50  
    You should definatly take a job as a critic/writer.
    I envy how you can write so much...
    posted 04 September 2007 07:32 AM EDT (US)     13 / 50  
    He'd be able to write 9X more if he played other Gods

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
    -Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
    -Vagabond Tom.

posted 04 September 2007 08:58 AM EDT (US)     14 / 50  
    Quoted from Ironclaw77:
    Quoted from invent00r:
    I could watch expert recs of basically every god, there are some people who devote themselves to a god and will be those experts, but that does not make those gods better, it makes those players better.
    Oh...By that logic, if you were learning how to fly airplanes. And there were 12 different airplanes you wanted to atleast be able to lift off and land.
    Watch an expert flying one of those models, and sitting by his side, watching what he does and where he is looking, would not make you any better?

I still don't know what you exactly meant by that sentence to be quite honest.

So gods don't get better, but those (reffering to Experts) get better. So...It only helps Experts?

I never said anyone could make a god better. Only ES people could do that. I said that you have to know those gods better, not making them better. ¬¬'

-invent00r

posted 04 September 2007 04:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 50  
    Wow DaP thx that was almost like a strategy guide
    posted 04 September 2007 04:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 50  
    Basically, some units have their value in high hp, while others excel in attack.
    What about Spearmen then?

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
    There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me...
    posted 04 September 2007 05:08 PM EDT (US)     17 / 50  
    Cheap+Quick+Fast Production
    posted 04 September 2007 05:36 PM EDT (US)     18 / 50  
    Ox carts have half the train time of a dwarf, so I can replace them faster (less TC time lost).
    Ox carts are also much slower then dwarves and have a more important role for the Norse economy. A dwarf lost is not as devastating as an ox cart.
    Ox carts cannot fight back anyway, so I can send my cart running
    You can send them trotting, any raider will not have a problem with an ox cart on the run. As for villagers, this must be against a very unintelligent player who allows his raiders to be killed by villagers, not many do.
    As for the "backbone" role, it is well known that RC play it for Norse in most games
    Then this is bad, all other civilizations backbones can beat this one. As you seemingly agree with the other three then they will all counter the RC and defeat them.

As for the other things, most are right. These are not all my list (including the beginner one) and I just posted it to see what people thought, and because I had been getting frustrated with some of these. Problems can be pointed out in every civ and this is only supposed to be a discussion...

*waits to get yelled at again*

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
    gonna be gold.
    posted 04 September 2007 05:56 PM EDT (US)     19 / 50  
    Quoted from Ironclaw77:
    You can send them trotting, any raider will not have a problem with an ox cart on the run. As for villagers, this must be against a very unintelligent player who allows his raiders to be killed by villagers, not many do.
    Actually, a very unintelligent player is the one that attack drop-of-points, instead of attacking the source.

Any villager you don't kill while you are killing his Ox cart his going to generate many many, many many many, many many many resources. (many many many many many many many. I can't stress many enough.)

Ox Cart + 3 Villagers - Ox Cart = 3 Villagers generating many many many resources
    Ox Cart + 3 Villagers - 3 Villagers = An ox...Nice, pretty looking Ox cart that just trains in 8 seconds. Oh look at that. It moves!

Quoted from Ironclaw77:
    Then this is bad, all other civilizations backbones can beat this one. As you seemingly agree with the other three then they will all counter the RC and defeat them.
    The sooner you stop abbreviating his name, the sooner you will know what they are mostly used for instead.

-invent00r

posted 05 September 2007 03:39 AM EDT (US)     20 / 50  
    Oh...By that logic, if you were learning how to fly airplanes. And there were 12 different airplanes you wanted to atleast be able to lift off and land.
    Watch an expert flying one of those models, and sitting by his side, watching what he does and where he is looking, would not make you any better?
    You did not really get the logic. Applied to your example, the answer is: Yes, it will make you better, but it will not make the airplane model any better. You may learn to land even the crappiest model decently, but still the good airplane will be better. In case of combat airplanes, the good airplane will still make you a more dangerous foe than the crappy one if you have learnt to handle both equally well.
    I still don't know what you exactly meant by that sentence to be quite honest.
    His point was that any god can be dangerous when played by an excellent player, but that will not make a crappy god be less crappy, because an excellent player with a good god would be even more deadly.
    Ox carts are also much slower then dwarves and have a more important role for the Norse economy.
    What is the problem with the slower speed of ox carts? Normally it remains stationary anyway. And when you move to a new gathering place, your vills can already start gathering although the slower cart is still en route. It suffices if it gets there by the time the vills need to deliver. And more important? Yes, perhaps. Is that a problem?
    A dwarf lost is not as devastating as an ox cart.
    As mentioned before, ox carts are far harder to destroy, and quicker to replace, so no problem here.
    You can send them trotting, any raider will not have a problem with an ox cart on the run.
    Try attacking a moving unit, even if slow, with melee troops, and then try attacking the same unit again when it is not moving. You will notice that you will get far more hits landed in the same time. I never said the cart could evade the raiders. I just said that running will make it take less hits, giving the vills more time to fight back at base hoplite damage.
    As for villagers, this must be against a very unintelligent player who allows his raiders to be killed by villagers, not many do.
    Very many do. i r n00b says that he never ever gets raided effectively because his vills are just so strong when fighting back. This is one of his usual exaggerations, but you get his point.

Vills do mainline infantry damage against typical cavalry raiders. Their weakness is their low hp and armor, but these are unimportant when the raiders are not hacking back at the vills, but are attacking the drop site (ox cart) instead. Things get better for the raiders as they obtain upgrades in the course of the game, but the basic principle remains valid.
    Then this is bad, all other civilizations backbones can beat this one.
    In mono-type-armies, yes, and even then only in higher numbers. But any decent player knows that mono-type armies are bad. Compare two typical classical armies: hops + tox vs RC + TA. Even though the RC clash with the hops, I see them at no disadvantage here. The reason is that the TA in the second row rape the hops hands down, while the tox in the second row face a high RC pierce armor and suffer from a 0.9x attack penalty on top of that. The Greek has to attack the TA with his tox somehow, but in order to do that, he must move his tox closer to the front, practically right into the gleeful RC which have the speed edge over both Greek unit types anyway.

That is a real-game analysis, not just looking at one unit and making a statement.

posted 05 September 2007 07:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 50  
    Quoted from DeathAndPain:
    His point was that any god can be dangerous when played by an excellent player, but that will not make a crappy god be less crappy, because an excellent player with a good god would be even more deadly.
    Hmm. I see. Thanks for explaining. However, if a player plays one of the most crappy gods, all game long, he will certainly learn how to take the full advantage of his unique bonuses, and how to combine them with his strategies, even tho they might not be as easy to pull off as other strats from better gods. He will be using them to a very precise point.
    And if one reaches the highest position in the game, with one of the worse gods, not only means that he is a better player overall, but it also means he has learned how to take full advantage of his god.

Compare two typical classical armies: hops + tox vs RC + TA. Even though the RC clash with the hops, I see them at no disadvantage here. The reason is that the TA in the second row rape the hops hands down, while the tox in the second row face a high RC pierce armor and suffer from a 0.9x attack penalty on top of that. The Greek has to attack the TA with his tox somehow, but in order to do that, he must move his tox closer to the front, practically right into the gleeful RC which have the speed edge over both Greek unit types anyway.

That is a real-game analysis, not just looking at one unit and making a statement.
    Unfortunately, you didn't go deep enough. There is no way a equal numbered hops + tox vs RC + TA would be won by norse. There is one way actually. With horrible micro.

As opposed to what you think, toxotes can easily reach TA. Toxotes range is of 15 meters where TA range is 9 meters. So toxotes can be 6 meters behind Hoplites and still reach TA.
    At the beggining of the battle, toxotes are immediately capable of hitting the TA due to much larger range. And Hopiltes face RC, while they are still moving towards toxotes, so besides RC already losing some of their HP and besides Toxotes are already attacking TA, TA are still moving to get closer to the Hoplites.

Lets add some numbers to the mix.

10 TA can kill 1 Hoplite in about 10 strikes.
    10 Toxotes can kill 1 TA in less then 2 strikes.

This means that in 20 strikes all TA would be dead, and only 2 Hoplite dead.

Now some toxotes will die meanwhile yes, but once TA are all dead, 10 RC will lose vs 7 hoplites + 5 toxotes.

Also, considering the training time, Greek gets a huge advantage over Norse.

-invent00r

[This message has been edited by invent00r (edited 09-05-2007 @ 08:02 AM).]

posted 05 September 2007 06:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 50  
    Well a good norse player wouldnt fight that battle since Greek Classic ppl > Norse Classical ppl they would raid or do some kinda strat (FH, ambushes etc. etc.)
    posted 05 September 2007 08:26 PM EDT (US)     23 / 50  
    Greek Classic ppl > Norse Classical ppl

11, greek soldiers are much stronger than norse ones, and you really can't fight a straight up battle, and expect to win.
    posted 05 September 2007 09:36 PM EDT (US)     24 / 50  
    As opposed to what you think, toxotes can easily reach TA. Toxotes range is of 15 meters where TA range is 9 meters. So toxotes can be 6 meters behind Hoplites and still reach TA.
    Good micro would put the RC attacking the Tox if they are but six meters away.

And Superusername not only is your mini strategy guide wrong, but I believe it is very much against the CoC.

-Ironclaw77

I R O N C L A W 7 7
    gonna be gold.
    posted 06 September 2007 03:21 AM EDT (US)     25 / 50  
    However, if a player plays one of the most crappy gods, all game long, he will certainly learn how to take the full advantage of his unique bonuses
    Any player will learn that with any god if he plays his god seriously. The difference is only on which skill (rating) level he does. For instance, if your talents (intelligence, speed, mouse dexterity, diligence) allow you to reach a max rating of 1700 with Poseidon and then you will play him to the best of his abilities within your biological boundaries, then you might be able to reach 1780 with Isis. At this higher level your opponents will be so tough and challenging that you will need to max out your Isis skills just like you maxed out your Possy skills. In the end, you will learn to max out either god, but the better god will still lead you to the higher rating.

The only exception would be you hitting the absolute ladder #1 position with a suboptimal god, where there are no greater challenges that could require you to play a better god. However, few people manage to ever get there, and those that do usually do not stay up there for a long time. They belong to the elite, and in one decisive game had luck and map on their side, so they reached #1 until the next competitor took it away from them. The only player that I remember that remained #1 for months was GP_Intel, and he played Isis, the best god in the game, combining outstanding skill with the best god traits that the game has to offer.
    There is no way a equal numbered hops + tox vs RC + TA would be won by norse.
    I disagree.
    Toxotes range is of 15 meters where TA range is 9 meters. So toxotes can be 6 meters behind Hoplites and still reach TA.
    The Norse compensates for that by far superior RC speed, giving him the edge in the micro battle. But I agree that this is a matter of exact numbers and army composition. In really huge numbers tox beat RC pop-wise, so if you assume big armies on both sides and reduce your number of hops to near zero, replacing them with tox, then you will win pop-wise. However, such an approach would defeat your argumentation that hops are the superior backbone unit that makes the difference against Norse. As long as your hops make up at least 50% of your hop/tox army, I am confident that I can win this with an army that includes at least 50% RC.
    At the beggining of the battle, toxotes are immediately capable of hitting the TA due to much larger range.
    At the beginning of the battle, the RC are riding up towards the tox and try to encircle them while the TA are still out of range. While doing this the RC use their superior speed to outmaneuver the hops, and the tox miss the moving RC because RC speed is greater than 5.0. The hops are forced to stay close to the tox in order to protect them, so they cannot intercept the RC early. The tox are well-advised not to maintain a closed line, or the RC will have an easy time attacking from behind with the slow hops being unable to prevent it. As melee combat begins, TA close in and join the battle. Your tox fire at the RC with priority, because these are closer and have the higher attack. This means that your tox fire at the targets against which they are least effective. You need to compensate by microing them manually, but this is very hard, as you will have to target every TA manually. In order for your tox to operate at full efficiency, you need to disperse their fire over several TA, because focus-fire is inefficient against low-hp units like TA (you lose too much arrow fire in the killing volley, because all arrows that hit the target when its hp count is already zero are lost). Doing all this manually in a large battle with many units is a nightmare and impossible for a human being to achieve. Whenever a TA dies, your tox will immediately target another RC again. Waypointing them over several TA is not really viable either, because this is buggily implemented in AoM, so in many cases your tox will start running forward rather than attacking the next TA.
    Unfortunately, you didn't go deep enough.
    I guess this time I did.
    Lets add some numbers to the mix.

10 TA can kill 1 Hoplite in about 10 strikes.
    Are you on dope?

I will make you a present of 2 TA and settle with only 8 TA attacking your hoplite:

• TA base damage: 4.5
  • TA multiplier against hoplites & myrmidons: 2.75x
  • Hoplite base hack armor: 35%
  • Total TA damage against hoplite: (4.5 x 2.75) x (1 - 0.35) = 12.375 x 0.65 = 8.04
  • 8 TA doing 8.04 damage each in 2 strokes means: 8 x 8.04 x 2 = 128 damage done
  • Base hoplite hp: 115

Your hop is dead after 2 seconds, and that is with only 8 TA attacking him.
    Also, considering the training time, Greek gets a huge advantage over Norse.
    A training time of 14 (hop) or 15 (tox) is not a "huge" advantage over 16 (TA) and 18 (RC). It is an advantage, yes, but Greek is nailed down to the unit composition that your building choice dictates. I can start out with early ulfens if I like, easily outspamming you with a training time of only 9 per ulf, and tailor my unit composition to your army later. I can see what buildings you have and flexibly make the appropiate counter-units, while you can use your buildings only for the units they were made for. Later in the game you can have more buildings of all sorts, but by then I have plenty of longhouses, so training time becomes less of a factor. And I still keep my flexibility, being able to use all my longhouses to quickly train a full round of RC or TA, while you remain restricted.

• posted 06 September 2007 01:01 PM EDT (US)     26 / 50  
    Regarding the gods matter. I believe that the difficulty of progress and learning, that one has with the god he is focusing is exponencial. It will get harder to one player reach 1850 from 1800 than reaching 1650 from 1600.
    However, there will be always something missing that would make ones gameplay style better and more efficient.

Anyways, I am sure you agree with me, that todays best players are not even close to the experts that played AoM in its prime years.

Are you on dope?

I will make you a present of 2 TA and settle with only 8 TA attacking your hoplite:
    Ok. Never though my calculations would be so far off. I have no idea where I got the 10 strikes from. 11 TA kill in 1 strike for sure.

Anyways, your calculations are also incorrect. Phew.

So. If I were you I will make me a present of 4 TA and settle with only 6 TA attacking my hoplite:
    I love presents. They make me happy.

Total TA damage against hoplite: (4.5 x 2.75 + 4.5) x (1 - 0.35) = 16.875 x 0.65 = 10,96875 Rounded to 11.

6 TA doing 11 damage in 2 stroke means: 6 x 11 x 2 = 132 damage done

At the beginning of the battle, the RC are riding up towards the tox and try to encircle them while the TA are still out of range. While doing this the RC use their superior speed to outmaneuver the hops, and the tox miss the moving RC because RC speed is greater than 5.0. The hops are forced to stay close to the tox in order to protect them, so they cannot intercept the RC early.
    You can only have this much freedom if you are facing Zeus army in a open space. The speed of my Hoplites aren't as slow as they seem, since when RC are trying to circle around Toxotes, avoiding Hoplites, RC need to travel a larger area.
    And what happens if I put them in box formation? - Not really viable but just mentioning.

Taking 10 Hoplites + 10 Toxotes and puting out of game context vs 10 RC + 10 TA, with nothing but free room. Then Norse speed will prove his value. If this never happened, noone would be playing Norse.

I am not handing you the victory yet tho.

If we are to consider, all the variables, that allow 2 players to reach a similar battle, in a possible Zeus vs Norse game, the outcome favors Zeus.

Equal Advance times.

Building time of Academy: 23 seconds
    Building time of Archery Range: 23 seconds
    Building time of Longhouse: 28 seconds

Zeus gets a 5 seconds head-start in the military production.

Now a good Zeus player will do atleast 2 Academies and 2 Archery Range. A Norse, well, lets consider 4 Longhouses built by 2 hersirs + 2 ulfsarks.

After 1 minute:
    Zeus: 8 Toxotes + 8 Hop + Jason
    Norse: 6 TA + 6 RC + 2 Hersirs + 2 Ulfsarks (40% done TA; 5% done RC) Considering the 5 second penalty.

So, taking this possible real-game situation, Norse isn't outnumbered but Zeus toxotes are expected to kill both TA and Ulfsark, and with 8 Hops protecting the toxotes from 6 RC, Norse is expected to retreat.

If Norse choses to build Ulf.
    then:
    After 1 minute:
    Zeus: 8 Toxotes + 8 Hop + Jason
    Norse: 26 Ulfsarks + 2 Hersir

Norse will win, but then again, you would need to gather 1200 Food in just one minute. And still have a strong Classical eco for 4 longhouses. =O.

Regarding limited unit type per building, I see no downfall in having a solid consistent Infantry + Archer army all game long.

And ultimately, if Zeus is in trouble. He just casts Restoration or Cease Fire. Which will decide the outcome of the battle.

Edit: Forgot my name tag.
    -invent00r

[This message has been edited by invent00r (edited 09-06-2007 @ 01:13 PM).]

posted 07 September 2007 01:32 AM EDT (US)     27 / 50  
    Invent00r do you play TT? If so what is your account?

"The next turn I attacked those that had been attatched, fiendishly fracturing the friendly faction fraction"
    -Wartrain.

"Why not do the exciting thing and sit back, boom to a rag and use flaming weapons? - Who would have thought a Thor player could show this level of innovation?"
    -Vagabond Tom.

posted 07 September 2007 02:48 AM EDT (US)     28 / 50  
    Anyways, I am sure you agree with me, that todays best players are not even close to the experts that played AoM in its prime years.
    No, I do not. In fact, I believe that the skill of both current and former elite players is so far beyond your and my skill that we cannot even tell. I agree that the somehow reduced player base makes it likely that today's excellence is not equal to that of former times, but we cannot be sure of that. We will never see a modern elite player play against Hope or GP_Intel, so we cannot tell the outcome.

I believe that GP_Intel was the most exceptional AoT player of all times, because he did not only manage to claim the #1 position, he could also defend it for months. But aside from him, I am not convinced that today's #1 would certainly lose to a Hope or Ourk. Fact is that we will never know.
    Anyways, your calculations are also incorrect.
    No, they are not.
    Total TA damage against hoplite: (4.5 x 2.75 + 4.5) x (1 - 0.35) = 16.875 x 0.65 = 10,96875 Rounded to 11.
    I have no idea where you take those additional 4.5 from, but they are false. TA get a 2.75x multiplier against hoplites, or do +175% damage against hoplites. They do not do +175% plus another +100% against hoplites.
    You can only have this much freedom if you are facing Zeus army in a open space.
    Why do you talk about Zeus here? The comparison was Norse backbone unit vs Greek backbone unit, not Norse backbone unit vs Zeus backbone unit. It is always inappropiate to factor in godly bonuses when comparing the value of units, because godly bonuses always come at the price of not getting the bonuses that the alternative gods would have given you. These bonuses may be of totally different nature, like gathering increases or something, but you lose them by not choosing their god. So if you say that a Zeus hop is better because he is faster and does bonus damage against buildings, then I respond that he is also worse because he makes your archers and buildings weaker, as getting him means losing the benefits that you would have obtained if you had chosen Hades instead. The only exception that I can think of is the ulfsark, because no matter which main god you choose, you will always get some sort of improvement for your ulfs, so you can assume that a real-game ulf is always a little bit better than the stock ulf on the paper (provided you research the corresponding benefits that you have access to).

This discussion was about standard Greek hoplites against standard Norse RC. And stock hops are a whole lot slower than RC.
    And what happens if I put them in box formation? - Not really viable but just mentioning.
    Since you agree yourself that this is not really viable because box formation horribly sucks in real combat, I think there is no need to discuss it or anyhow take it into consideration.
    Taking 10 Hoplites + 10 Toxotes and puting out of game context vs 10 RC + 10 TA, with nothing but free room.
    Most maps offer lot sof free space to have combat on. Alfheim is pretty much the only exception, perhaps also Medi when it comes to land-based warfare. However, I agree that in narrow terrain, which can also be caused by deliberate placing of buildings, tox are at an advantage. The races just are not all the same. Norse have other strengths, but are at a disadvantage in narrow terrain until they finally get ballistas.

According to your early-game build up situation, I agree that Greek has a slight advantage here. However, this is necessary because Greek is so restricted choosing their units. A Norse can always check what buildings the Greek made and design an appropiate counter-army against that. Greek military needs to be strong enough to fight the Norse army anyway, which requires the basic Greek troops to be somewhat stronger than those of the Norse, because they are going to be countered appropiately from the very start. Otherwise the Greek race would not stand a chance against Norse.

You see that the concepts behind the two races are totally different, which is a great factor that makes this game fun. Greek: powerful but slow troops and unflexible production. Norse: Fast troops, most versatile production of all races in the game, but weaker mainline units.

But not even that is entirely true, as RC > hippikons. However, the hipps are easier to control due to lower numbers and gain the edge in narrow terrain.

Now the Norse needs to use the versatility of his longhouses to compensate for the weaker base strength of his units. You could also say that his units may be basically weaker, but he has the right ones against what his opponent has. This may make the Norse harder to play, because you cannot stupidly pump out the only troops that your production buildings are capable of training; you always need to adapt very flexibly.
    Regarding limited unit type per building, I see no downfall in having a solid consistent Infantry + Archer army all game long.
    Just to give you one of multiple pointers, with that unit composition the enemy can easily outrun you, and you lack fast units for raiding. If you want those, you will have to make stables in addition (or use the benefits of a god by getting cents, but the god that provides them otherwise benefits your cavalry, so you lose a major bonus of him by going full inf/archer). If you do make stables in addition, you can finally train some hipps for raiding, but again you will be able to use these stables only to make hipps, even if you want more hops for your main army.
    And ultimately, if Zeus is in trouble. He just casts Restoration or Cease Fire. Which will decide the outcome of the battle.
    Yes. Other gods have god powers of their own, which will also serve them nicely. For instance, aside from one-time restoration Zeus has no means of healing his units other than temple healing which requires another subgod and is so crappy that it is near negligible in real games. Nothing in comparison to Forseti's healing spring or Freyja's healing valks.

But again, we are going off topic. Zeus has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. This is about Greek in general vs Norse in general.

posted 07 September 2007 03:44 AM EDT (US)     29 / 50  
    Looking at editor Dap it seems as if the attack is 11~ Regardless 8 TA still kill 1 hoplite in less then 2 seconds.

-Wartrain.

-Vagabond Tom.

posted 07 September 2007 04:20 AM EDT (US)     30 / 50  
    I have not measured their firing rate. Damages (well, most of them) are listed per second, not per single attack. As far as I remember, the ulfsark has 2 different slashes, between he randomly alternates. One of them does more damage than the other. But in average, the ulf does the listed 9 damage per second.

Likewise, I consider it well possible that TA attack per throw varies, or that TA throw less often than once per second.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: