You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Odin fh
posted 14 November 2003 01:38 PM EDT (US)   
Odin fast heroic

A forumer inspired me to try this strat again. However Odin’s jarls aren’t that uber anymore(but still good), hillforts are more expensive, the strat is still viable, because you get a strong free myth units( in classical: a valkyrie or an einherjar and in heroic: a frost giant or a mountain giant).

When can you use fast heroic?
You need good hunt maps(because Odin has a hunt bonus). At least two packs of hunt is needed to do a fast heroic under 8 mins(more hunt is better so you can hunt whole the time without wasting wood on farms ). So tundra, marsh, watering holes and Anatolia you can easily pull a fh under 8 mins. Alfeim and Ghost lake have sometimes good conditions to do a good fh. I don’t recommend other maps to do fh on with odin.

Build orders

Casual build

Two starting vills+ ox to hunt(research hunting dogs)
5 next vills to food
2 vills+ ox to gold
1 vill to tree near tc
1 dwarf to gold
2 vill to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill + ox to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold
make also a second ulfsark, between this build.

During classical:
- 2 vills from gold to food
- Make a hersir
- Make an armory
- 1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold.

Huskarl build

Same build as above only when you reach heroic, two vills from food and two vills from gold to wood(so you will have 8 on wood) to have a good income of wood to produce constant huskies.

Anatolia build

2 starting Vills+ ox on wood
vill to wood(build with your ulf a dock on the left side)
4 vills to sheep
2 dwarves to gold
then all vills to wood and sometime a dwarf to gold until 4.10-4.30 when you must click in.
Try to build 10-12 fishing ships in archaic and classical.

During classical
Build a hersir
Research hunting dogs
Build an additional ox-cart
4 vills from wood to food
all vills/dwarves you make from you tc to gold
Build an armory
Build a longhouse.

Minor gods

In classical:

Heimdall:

GP: undermine: destroy asap a tower or a wall and do great damage to castles and tcs.
Myth unit: Einherjar: 175 gold 15 favor. Myth unit with good armor and a good special which increase the attack of all friendly units.
Techs:
Safeguard: 300 wood 10 favor: Doubles hp of walls and towers and lower the cost of towers.
Artic wind: 200 wood 10 favor: increase hp of longboats by 10%.
He provides you a strong myth unit, good gp and decent techs. Einerjhars are good because they have an awesome special which works too on the ww. The gp will help to take down a tc( vs ra use it on his migdol).
Freya:

GP: forest fire: burns down a forest and damage buildings and units which stand next to the forest.
Myth unit: valkyrie: 200 food 18 fav: a fast myth unit which is be able to heal friendly units.
Techs: thundering hoves: 300 food 10 fav. Give cavalry and valkyries 10% hp/speed.
Aurora borealis: 200 gold 10 fav: +50% attack/ +33 healing rate.
Awesome myth unit, weak gp, and a decent tech. Freya is for a fast heroic much weaker because she doesn’t have a real good gp to help you. I mostly pick her vs eggies.

In heroic:

Njord:

GP: walking woods: convert 8 trees to living trees which have much hp and good attack
Myth unit: Mountain giant: A giant with tons of hp, huge attack and decent armor.
Techs: Ring Giver: 400 Gold, 30 Favor: Jarls +25% HP
:Long serpent: 200 Gold, 25 Favor, Longboats +20% attack, -20% crush vulnerability
:Wrath of the deep: 200 Gold, 15 Favor, Krakens +200 HP.
Njord is a very good choice when you do a fh, because he has a good gp, a extremely strong myth unit and a great tech which benefit your strong jarls.

Skadi:

GP: frost: freeze your opponent army for 1 min, but give them 99% armor.
Myth unit: Frost giant: 200 gold 22 fav: a myth unit who can freeze units with his breath.
Techs: winter harvest: 200 food 20 fav.: increase farm rate by 20%
Huntress axe: 300 Gold, 20 Fav: increase attack of ta’s by 20%
Rime: 200 Food, 20 Favor, Frost giants +33% HP, +20% hack damage, special attack charges 25% faster
Skadi isn’t a bad choice too for fh, because frost and ww have the same effect, but I prefer njord to skadi, because ww can kill units too and mountain giants are better.

What to do?

Follow the build and when you are advancing to heroic, build a longhouse and some houses(1-2) because your pop will be full soon. Then make some soldiers(ulfs or ta’s depending which resources you have, but remember you need 250 wood and 250 gold to build a hillfort). When you reach Heroic, you should have around six builders so you can build you fort in 30 seconds. You have two myth units, a good gp(woods or frost) too. With these things you will be able to build your fort and kill some units of your opponent which is always good. In the meanwhile produce addition units from your longhouse. A CONSTANT FLOW OF VILLS IS NEEDED TO SUPPORT YOUR FH, HILLFORT UNITS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE SO YOU NEED A GOOD ECO. Do your eco upgrades when you have resources to spare or have enough army (pick axe first and hand axe second). Produce first from your hillfort some jarls so you can kill easily their myth units. But don’t forget to produce also units from your longhouses(build addition ones when you have wood so you will have quick army). Use your ravens to scout the map to find extra hunt and goldmines(so you can make a little party to raid with ). Myth units are very important in this strat, because Norse have access to very good myth units(esp. the mountain giant which has a tons of hp and a good crush attack so you have good siege). If you decide to use portable rams try to get at least 2-3 of them, because when they are alone they suck pretty hard. Try to destroy his militairy buildings and houses. If you keep a good pressure, you will win most of the times, because he will lose map control.

FH vs other civs

Vs zeus: It can work pretty well vs him, but don’t forget he has access to bolt and ceasefire which can disturb your fh. Your advantage is that his troops are trained slow.

Vs Poseidon: Just like zeus, pos can have troubles vs the fast heroic, because his troops are trained slow. Take of ceasefire and add additional ta’s to kill those annoying militias.

Vs Hades: Both jarls and huskarls counter his main unit and his troops are trained slow. Take care of pestilence because you can lose your game with it.

Vs Ra: Works very good vs Ra fh, because you have an offensive gp and stronger units. Huskarls are very effective because they counter camels and chariots pop cost effectly.

Vs Isis: If she does fh you’re dead, but even if she doesn’t fh, it is very very hard to win because you can’t cast ww close to her base.(monument blocking).

Vs set: risky, because he has a free army of animals so you have some troubles to pull fh vs him.

Vs Norse: I can assure you that you will be dead if you do a fh vs them. So don’t do it, unless you are going to give a free win.

Vs Kronos: Very useless vs. him(deconstruct, valor, cheap myth units, turma’s).

Vs oranos: Very hard to do because he has access to prometheus, shockwave. Huskarls might be a good option vs. him(follow huskarl build )

Vs Gaia: Huskarls are the best solution vs. her and she isn’t that hard if you compare it with oranos and kronos.

Benjamin

Replies:
posted 14 November 2003 05:43 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
anyone care about it :'(.
Benjamin
posted 14 November 2003 06:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
sounds good, but as you said it yourself its not worth it to go fh-ing with odin against most civs

on team games it could work out well, especially if you're a pocket player. but on 1vs1 its just too risky, except maybe against hades cause forts units works great against him.

oh and the about the build order, you heroiced with 19vils/dwarves. i find that a bit too low, maybe add 1-2 more to wood/gold. so you can get a fort up quicker or maybe a second tc during advance to heroic to help boom your eco?

posted 14 November 2003 06:44 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
It's a great write-up, Benjamin, but the Odin FH really isn't that useful anymore. It used to be very useful against other civs' FH's (like Ra), but these strats are no longer in use, so there's really no point in it. The only other FH in use is Isis', but you NEED to be hitting Isis hard and early, and you need units ready to take on the anc/ecl combo once Isis goes heroic (if you let her make it that far ).

The Odin FH is fun, and again, this is a very good write-up, but no longer is it a very feasible strat.

posted 14 November 2003 06:57 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19  

Quote:

oh and the about the build order, you heroiced with 19vils/dwarves. i find that a bit too low, maybe add 1-2 more to wood/gold. so you can get a fort up quicker or maybe a second tc during advance to heroic to help boom your eco?

If you read it again you will see that i have written during classical you should add a vill and a dwarf to gold .

Quoted from funclan_zero:

Casual build

5 next vills to food
2 vills+ ox to gold
1 vill to tree near tc
1 dwarf to gold
2 vill to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill + ox to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold

During classical:
- Make a hersir
- Make an armory
- 1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold.

Benjamin

posted 14 November 2003 07:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Oh yeah, and I wouldn't ever use an FH on a water map. You gotta go wood-intensive and win the water, and FH strats focus strictly on gold and food.

[This message has been edited by NoAffinity (edited 11-14-2003 @ 07:19 PM).]

posted 14 November 2003 07:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
SO THE FH IS BACK!!!

i have quite a different BO to that, and i get to heroic on high food maps in <7:30 minutes. i research hunting dogs ASAP and i build only 2 dwarves in classical before advancing to heroic.

i think FH is not about getting to heroic and attacking straight away, beause as you said, Odin's jarl's are not that good anymore. but i do believe that huskarls would do the job nicely.

quote:

if she doesn't FH then you have a great advantage, you have acess to your more powerful unit, the longhouse units alone and a couple of einherjars are not enough to penetrate Isis's mighty defenses. so u need mountain giants, rams, huskies and ususally some TA are good too.

posted 14 November 2003 07:26 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19  

Quote:

on team games it could work out well, especially if you're a pocket player. but on 1vs1 its just too risky, except maybe against hades cause forts units works great against him.

Hmmm, i prefer most of the time to build forward so it isn't always easy to find a good spot. The real problem is in 3 vs 3 games the fh can be double teamed so when you lose forward you probably dead then :s. The only way so to succeed it is to build a double forward base and your third teammate must conquer the other opponent.

Quote:

but on 1vs1 its just too risky, except maybe against hades cause forts units works great against him.

You can beat zeus/possy with it too, but it is annoying when they bolt(zeus) your mountain giant and cast cheasefire .
Benjamin

[This message has been edited by FunClan_zero (edited 11-14-2003 @ 07:31 PM).]

posted 14 November 2003 07:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19  

Quote:

Oh yeah, and I wouldn't ever use an FH on a water map. You gotta go wood-intensive and win the water, and FH strats focus strictly on gold and food.

I described in my guide that only anatolia is a good water to do a fh under 8 mins. Look, anatolia has perfect start conditions: 4-5 sheeps, two starting gold mines and near you will find some boars(and deers too). Most people fish on the right side of anatolia, so you take the left side to fish. When you opponent discover you aren't fishing on the right side then he will try to attack your fishing on the left side(consider he isn't an idiot(most are) and build afterwards a dock on the left side) so he find your fish and wast resources to kill your fishing ships(just do them in your docks so he needs many ships to destroy your dock. In the meanwhile you have enough food to advance to herioc and take mapcontrol(all gold is in the middle).

Quote:

SO THE FH IS BACK!!!

Yes, because the free myth units are pretty interesting for this strat (norse myth units are pretty strong(esp mountain giant).

Quote:

have quite a different BO to that, and i get to heroic on high food maps in <7:30 minutes. i research hunting dogs ASAP and i build only 2 dwarves in classical before advancing to heroic.

My build is far from perfect, but i gave it so everyone who wanna try odin fh will be able to do it(atleast i hope :s). Maybe your build is better, it all depends which build give the player a better economical balance.

Quote:

i think FH is not about getting to heroic and attacking straight away, beause as you said, Odin's jarl's are not that good anymore. but i do believe that huskarls would do the job nicely.

Yes, i agree. i will useally use the jarls to kill their myth unit(s)(they have *4 vs them) only vs egypt it is better to make many jarls because they can easily make some axemen who rip the huskarls.
Benjamin

posted 14 November 2003 08:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
i tried a fh in a team game vs an isis and it worked well (yes, i was odin). jarls still pwn eggies pretty good. huskarls are also good.

my curiosity zero is why u build a hersir in there? ur two ufls can build what u need and the hersir is 80f, which is a lot when you're trying to fh? *maybe* if u expect myth in your base early but it seems like it's a general part of your build and i don't see why?

and, actually, the odin fh is very good on water. why???

well, u go forest fire and walking woods which can *seriously* impair your opponent's wood econ. plus, you get access to njord which gives you the mighty kraken! so, they might hurt you a bit early but you will soon regain the advantage. plus, with docks firing arrows when a fishing boat is garrisoned now you don't have to worry about losing your docks before you advance. kill some animals and raid with ur valk, etc to get some favour for another kraken upon advancing, support with siege ships and away you go.

i've seen skilled players pull this off and it is devastating. of course there on times like on medit where there isn't a sheep or boar to be found and then it's definitely less feasible.

any skilled odin player should definitely know how to do this strat. i just don't understand people sometimes they seem to think that when you play a god you do one strat with that god. with zeus i have about 6 strats in my arsenal. surely an odin fh is one strat that you want to have handy. forest-fire + walking woods can = ownage, esp vs greek. krakens own the water. jarls own eggy. etc.

good post zero.

fh

posted 15 November 2003 05:35 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19  

Quote:

my curiosity zero is why u build a hersir in there? ur two ufls can build what u need and the hersir is 80f, which is a lot when you're trying to fh? *maybe* if u expect myth in your base early but it seems like it's a general part of your build and i don't see why?

The only reason i build a hersir is because i want to have enough builders for hillfort and try to avoid to make an addition ulf from my tc in classical(slow down your fh).

Quote:

well, u go forest fire and walking woods which can *seriously* impair your opponent's wood econ. plus, you get access to njord which gives you the mighty kraken! so, they might hurt you a bit early but you will soon regain the advantage. plus, with docks firing arrows when a fishing boat is garrisoned now you don't have to worry about losing your docks before you advance. kill some animals and raid with ur valk, etc to get some favour for another kraken upon advancing, support with siege ships and away you go.

You made some good points fh, the only thing i shouldn't do is to make an aditional kraken, you need to keep it for your hillforts first then i see no problem to make them .

Quote:

any skilled odin player should definitely know how to do this strat. i just don't understand people sometimes they seem to think that when you play a god you do one strat with that god. with zeus i have about 6 strats in my arsenal. surely an odin fh is one strat that you want to have handy. forest-fire + walking woods can = ownage, esp vs greek. krakens own the water. jarls own eggy. etc.

Yes, i have around 3-4 stretegies with odin too, but most of them i don't use anymore(like semi fast herioc).

Quote:

good post zero.

Thx fh
Benjamin

posted 15 November 2003 04:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
With ODin i have 3 major strats at my disposal
RUSH
RAID
FH

i have BO's for them all, and i know when to use them, i tend to rush pos/zues/atl raid eggy/hades/other norse and FH against a player who will not be offensive (although its rare in 1v1)

posted 14 December 2003 08:20 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
thor hammer, u got one for pure husks?, cuz im against a hades playa

-TS

(-speaker-)
:unsure:
posted 14 December 2003 09:19 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
just put some from food (maybe gold too) to wood when advancing to heroic and you'll be fine I think
posted 14 December 2003 09:50 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19  

Quote:

thor hammer, u got one for pure husks?, cuz im against a hades playa

Did you actually read my guide?

Quoted from myself:

Build orders

Casual build

5 next vills to food
2 vills+ ox to gold
1 vill to tree near tc
1 dwarf to gold
2 vill to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill + ox to wood
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold
1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold

During classical:
- Make a hersir
- Make an armory
- 1 dwarf to gold
1 vill to gold.

Huskarl build

Same build as above only when you reach heroic, two vills from food and two vills from gold to wood(so you will have 8 on wood) to have a good income of wood to produce constant huskies.

Benjamin

Creator of the plenty article
Creator of the odin fast herioc guide
Creator of the The nereid guide
In progress: the scylla guide
posted 14 December 2003 03:19 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
With pure huskies all ya need to do is change many vills to wood when in heroic. although pure any type of units is not a good idea (unless you are cheap oranos player)

[This message has been edited by Thors_hammer_256 (edited 12-14-2003 @ 03:20 PM).]

posted 14 December 2003 04:07 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  

Quote:

my curiosity zero is why u build a hersir in there?

I haven't done a Norse FH in a while, but when I did I would always build at least one hersir early on. That way, I would be guaranteed some favor would trickle in so I could put up a hillfort.

posted 14 December 2003 04:21 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
When I used to play Odin and do the FH, I would make a raiding party of 6 or so rc, raid amap, still get to heroic by 730-800. But map is important, like oasis sucks. Use forest fire with your raiders, get to heroic cast walking woods on their tc area and plop down a hill fort or two , just outsdide his los, while they deal with the ww. Add a few rams and spam huskrals. When going from classical to heroic I would only keep 8-10 on food, the rest all on gold and wood. A second tc is necessary asap.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 14 December 2003 04:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Hey thnx alot. Ill might try this one time, ive never done a proper Odin FH before in my life.

supporter of Crystal Palace Football club
Leader of The VnX clan!

ESO Name: Rulezzz
posted 14 December 2003 04:41 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
I think its bad idea on anatolia---map control is so key and with norse its so easy to foward build.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Odin fh
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames