You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Getting To Classical ( Guide )
posted 20 August 2004 04:32 PM EDT (US)   
Alright. I think the biggest problem for people new to the game is just getting to classical age with about 25 vills at 5:30 or lower. In this guide I will be teaching you how to get to classical fast with a good eco. Also, in this guide I am excluding Atties because all u have to do is make 5 chubbies and advance ( yawn.. )

Part 1 - The Loading Screen

When the map is loading and the green bar is halfway or done it is a good idea to.. Click "h" on your keyboard ( default for towncenter - if ur tc is a diff button then press that button ) and then click "v" ( villager - if it is different then press the vill button ) 5 times. This helps u get a jump start so when the map loads you are already training villagers and u can look around for food. It saves time...

Part 2 - Send your vills to..

When the map loads you have to send your vills most likely to a food source ( unless your thor and you have duarves ). Different food sources have different gathering rates. Huntables such as elk or animals that you shoot with the bow n arrow allow u to get food the fastest. The second fastest is chickens/berries. The third fastest is sheep/goat/cow. The fourth fastest is farming. Go to the huntables first and don't be afriad to move your vills from foraging if u spotted huntables. Also when the map has lots of hunting get hunting dogs asap and if it has not much hunting get husbandry.

Part 3 - How much on each resource?

You almost always want to start by sending 7 vills to food if hunting and 8 if foraging. Then you can either send your next 3 vills to gold or wood. You have to decide depending on what you are gonna do. If you are possy and want to mass hippokins then you might as well send ur next few vills to gold and if you are hades then you should send your next vills to wood. Also.. I forgot to mention. If you are massing hoplites in classical then you should send lots of vills to food in the beginnign ( possibly 9 ) This is the same for other gods. Send the amount of vills to the resource depending on your plan. You also may want to send more vills to the resource than you usually do depending on your plan.

Part 4 - Idle tc.. In archaic? WTF

Okay. I have seen this too much and it has got to be stopped. Your tc idle for even a second can lose you the game in the end. Never have ur tc idle in archaic.

Part 5 - Balance vills in archaic

Don't have 4 vills on wood and 2 vills on gold and 18 vills on food when you advance.. It's just stupid... Balance where your vills are in archaic. When I advance when I am m fav god ( thor ) I have 5 duarves on gold. 2 duarves and 4 vills on wood and 7 vills on food.

Part 6 - God choosing?.. Have your god chosen

Sometimes I see people wondering what god to pick for over 10 seconds.. Have your god chosen. I know sometimes you have to pick different gods depending on the god your facing. I like to pick Forseti when facing atties because they have about 7 mus when they attack you and hall of thanes help your hersirs.

Part 7 - Being Popped

Ahhh!!! In archaic this is awful.. Being popped means you are like 15/15 or like 25/25. In archaic this could possibly lose the game. When it says 15/15 blinking red and you start building a house then which takes 10 seconds it could take 20 seconds off your advance time if being popped twice or once for a while. Build your houses when you are like 12/15.

Part 8 - Hotkeys

hm.. Keys. The should be hot by the time you reach classical. My reason why they are called hotkeys. They were pressed so much that they are hot. lol.. Anyways. Use them a lot in archaic. You know why? Scrolling takes seconds. You don't have that kind of time. Even clicking on the minimaps makes you scroll to the minimap. Get familerized with your hotkeys. Mine are default but I know them all to shave off my advance time. Instead of scrolling to my tc I can just press "h". Instead of clicking the house button I can just click "e". get familerized with your hotkeys and use them often.

Part 9 - Water maps

I decided to replace Part 9 with what to do in water maps. Water maps are different than land and must be treated different. U should immedialtly build a dock with one vill or ulf. On this map you should have a vills on food but on wood too. I'm not really good at one bos so I can't give much info but you want to have enuf wood for boats and enuf food for vills. Watch some expert recorded games and copy down their build orders.

Part 10 - Duarves..

I have seen many loki and odin noobs only using duarves and/or sending duarves to food or wood and not using them wisely.. Remember. For Loki and Odin you should send duarves to gold and villagers to food and wood.

- - - - - - - -

So ends my guide. Remember that the archaic age is the most important and if you do bad in it you will do bad in the game and if you do good in it you will do good in it

[This message has been edited by Mythical_King (edited 08-20-2004 @ 07:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 20 August 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
Using the hotkeys at the loading screen is a great idea. I never thought of that. Would you recomend building lots of housing at once if you are mass producing military and vils? Or build them as you need them?

Sudo
posted 20 August 2004 04:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
lol when i read the beginning(loading screen) i thought it was gonna be a joke guide :P but it's actually a good guide...good job
posted 20 August 2004 04:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Can you use find and replace to replace u with you and duarves with Dwarfs? It would make it a much easier read.

Sudo
posted 20 August 2004 04:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Excuse me Sudo? I didn't understand your post there

Oh and I would recomend build houses when you need them as norse and greek but as eggy I usually just have one vill go around and build all the houses then a temple. I wouldn't do it as norse or greek because building all the houses at once costs as greek 400 wood which should be saved for storehouses and graneries in the beginning and for classical building millitary even though this is a archaic guide I would probably just build them all at once because millitary pop goes up very quickly

[This message has been edited by Mythical_King (edited 08-20-2004 @ 04:55 PM).]

posted 20 August 2004 04:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
If they close my threads they have to close this.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 20 August 2004 05:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
The gather rate of berries/chickens and herdebals is exactly the same iirc.

Quote:

Part 3 - How much on each resource?

You almost always want to start by sending 7 vills to food if hunting and 8 if foraging. Then you can either send your next 3 vills to gold or wood. You have to decide depending on what you are gonna do. If you are possy and want to mass hippokins then you might as well send ur next few vills to gold and if you are hades then you should send your next vills to wood. Also.. I forgot to mention. If you are massing hoplites in classical then you should send lots of vills to food in the beginnign ( possibly 9 ) This is the same for other gods. Send the amount of vills to the resource depending on your plan. You also may want to send more vills to the resource than you usually do depending on your plan.

I partly disagree with you. Your start depends from map to map. if I'm Odin/loki and I get a heavy hunt map, I mostly send only 4-6 vills to food with hd, otherwise I have way too much food early on. Only when I get a map like ghost lake with less hunting, I do 7 vills with husbandry.

Quote:

I have seen this little but nevertheless I shall mention it. Sometimes I see people getting non needed upgrades in archaic making disaster to their economy. For example. In archaic get pickaxe and all those eco ups and jason and not having the resources to advance in time. Remember to use ur resources wisely at the right time.

I really depends of your strat that you're going to do. If I'm greek and I decide to boom, I need a better eco so it doesn't matter that I get my eco techs earlier and getting a late advance time(I need more wood/gold to get tcs), but in general you're better off to do your eco's like handaxe, pickaxe when you clicked in.

For the rest this guide is pretty good, however you should mention something about water maps, because they mostly require a diffrent start(first wood, then food ect...)
Benjamin

Creator of the plenty article
Creator of the odin fast herioc guide
Creator of the The nereid guide
In progress: the scylla guide
posted 20 August 2004 05:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  

Quote:

If they close my threads they have to close this

Why? This thread can be very helpfull for beginners, only he forgot some things to add.
Benjamin

posted 20 August 2004 05:15 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
A guide on how to get to classical.... build a temple and click a button.... sounds just as good as a mino/tox rush to me.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 20 August 2004 05:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
SilverOsiris it's cause you're threads make no sense and are worthless this actually helps out noobs!
posted 20 August 2004 05:35 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
My threads are worthless?

I told you I'd be back.
posted 20 August 2004 06:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
Well, if you read them more carefully you will see it's for getting decent classical times. Although the guide is for most people nothing new, it can help beginners.
Benjamin

posted 20 August 2004 06:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Soap next time read the post before you flame it, this guy didnt just say "get 400 food n click teh buttn"

its a guide for beginners on how to handle their economy in the archaic age so that they can acheive a decent calssical time. Plz esad.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.
posted 20 August 2004 07:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Thanks for standing up for me guys. Yes it seems I made some mistakes. I will edit it now.
posted 20 August 2004 10:02 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
h then shift-v for 5 vils qued up at a time, or just hit h then v then your autoque button and no problem all together!

use the F5 key on the loading screen in team games to set up allied only chat and if you need to say something to your team mate, you might get a short thing in.

best tip for reaching classical in a good time and well off is knowing your BO for that map, your civ, and for against your enemy civ.

Quote:

You almost always want to start by sending 7 vills to food if hunting and 8 if foraging.

No, your best off with a finding a BO in some expert rec and following that. You only need 4 or 5 on food as Odin with hunting for example, and even as greek, I get some on wood and gold before getting that many on hunting.

Nick: Eten.
Gods: All of them!
Vanilla.
posted 21 August 2004 00:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
I used to do that but I found it was better to send 7 as I could get armor ups and eco ups early on. And this guide isn't about bos and your civ and against ur enemy civ.. It's just ten things to remember to have a good time i archaic age and get the most out of it
posted 21 August 2004 02:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
I use zues most of the time and I advance with 20 vils 12 on food 3 on wood and 5 on gold is that cool orshould I change it up? I hit classical atleast 5:30 latest 6:30.
posted 21 August 2004 04:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
I want to add something on dwarves.

Loki and Odin have a powerful rush.When u rush u sacrifise
econ for military.So most of the times,after u put 10-13 dwarves on gold,is a good idea to make mixed(dwarves and gatherers)for food and wood.U want ur tc to work,no matter what.For example if the odin player advance through freya he will want to use valks.So...instead of building 4 gatherers,u build 4 dwarves and thats all.

This is my opinion,and I am an norse player.If u find this post right add it.

The reason I play Isis???
She is too sexy to go on waste!
Who cares about a/e...

Spamming forums = Learning english !
Flaming noobs = Break from the lessons...

[This message has been edited by Grateful_Dead (edited 08-21-2004 @ 08:58 AM).]

posted 21 August 2004 09:48 AM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
WOw this is a really good topic
posted 21 August 2004 01:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,20084,0,10

SOAP...read that if you don't want to be banned again.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 21 August 2004 02:38 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
Hot-keying villagers doesn't work in the loading screen, at least not for me, i've been doing for a while because i get bored while it loads, but it just makes the sound, when you get into the game you have to do it again, i assure you.
posted 21 August 2004 02:45 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
No, it works.
posted 21 August 2004 09:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
Indeed, it works.

Btw mythical, its dwarves and not duarves good job on ur guide, i learned a few stuff (i'm new).

posted 21 August 2004 10:48 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
Np man.
posted 22 August 2004 10:22 AM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
* has tried several times* Why does it not work for me!!

So many things u guys post don't work for me, and no i'm not a retard i'm pretty sure i do them right.

posted 23 August 2004 06:44 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
works 4 me =)
also i think this is a good guide well done =)
posted 24 August 2004 05:10 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
I can't believe no one knew about that loading screen thing.. hehe. One day I was bored cause it was taking so long and I pressed enter and typed in h but it wasn't typing so I hear my tc noise and I'm like wtf? I hit h again and it kept doing that. Then I tried clicking v 5 times and when it loaded vills were training :P
posted 09 September 2004 04:42 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
I'll add it.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Getting To Classical ( Guide )
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames