Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Water Town Eye Candy Guide
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06 April 2005 03:04 AM EDT (US)   
I was working on a certain AoM thing, when I finished that part, I thought, what the heck, I'll make another guide.

So...

~~~~~~~~~~Water Town Eye Candy Guide~~~~~~~~~~

This eye candy makes use of the bridge unit. Personally I think it is a very nice piece of item that can be used to eye-candy your map. It has many uses, stick it between two cliffs to make a simple non-useable bridge, shrink it down to make nice archeers or attachements to wooden buildings, or even use it to texture certain terrain.

Anyways, enough babbling about the bridge. Let's start.

1. You start off with a blank map. (No duh) Make sure you have adequate room for a nice amount of sea. Contrary to what I say, I failed to do so when I started to make the map.

2. You put in a sea. Any sea would work, but I love the Aegean so much that I am using it again. Anyways, put a blob of it. Depending how big you want your water town, the size of the water can change. You can have it like a bay, a lake, or even part of a huge ocean.

3. Add certain "foundations" for your buildings. This is simply to guage, and later you would add more "foundations". This makes your bridge laying next easier.

4. Put tons of bridges. Lay them out, then shrink them to the appropriate size. (Shift-K to shrink, k to enlarge)

5. Lay down your shrunken bridge into the water. Make sure they look like they are 1 big dock area. Try to get your bridges as close to the "foundations" as close as possible, since your buildings upon those will need to join with the bridges.

6. Add basic buildings, in this case houses. Since this is a small water town, I could not use buildings that are too big or very well-built ones. So I chose the norse for their shack-like buildings. Bascially by this, you already have the main part done. But that is just the easy part.

7. Here is the part where you make your water town look really nice. Adjust bridges, add more bridges, add additional buildings, add things to make the transition between building and water easier (In this case, wooden wall connectors), trees, waves and more water. This is where your creativity can shine.

8. Add some boats, a skybox, a nice angle, a character or 2, and you have a nice cinematic background.
To make a nice screenie/cinematic with the dam, remember to add several things.

Notes for cinematics and screenies:
1. Change your view! Put it at a different angle. Zoom also. This can make your eye-candy better than it's viewed from above. Use A+Z, Page Down+Page up for maximum effect.
2. Render Sky. Unless you want to make it a night scene, a black sky is downright ugly. Turn off unit outline and make sure you turn off fog and black map. Add snow, mist and rain as neccesary.
3. Add sun/moon/star, animals, units. This will make it look lively. For example, I added some seagulls and boats.

NOTE: The bridges CANNOT be walked on. That is its greatest drawback. This also measn the water town cannot be used. But if you want, you can use the following alternative.

1. Lay down a strip of land on the water. Don't make it too high.

2. Simply put wooden walls, and flip them over so that they lay horizontally. Make sure the base of the walls does not lay across where the part where it is meant to be walked. Add fences to make it look better.

Replies:
posted 06 April 2005 03:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 34  
Lol, nice guide Echowinds. It looks great

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 06 April 2005 03:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 34  
Utter awesomeness.

sig
posted 06 April 2005 03:28 AM EDT (US)     3 / 34  
very good guide Echowinds, I think I've seen some pic of yours with this type of town.
I have made partly such a thing for a scenario I'm making (3 single player scenarios at the same time, cause I get bored of doing just 1!!!), and now this file of yours got me thinking to make a harbourt town of sorts, with lots of boat people living inside.
It wouldn't be much of a scenario, just nice looking picture.
posted 06 April 2005 04:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 34  
Excellent stuff, this is what you used in the screenshot in your pack right?

    
posted 06 April 2005 08:09 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34  
Echowinds this is awesome! Very cool.

Titan was here
posted 06 April 2005 09:31 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34  
Indeed very cool !
posted 06 April 2005 10:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34  
Great Guide Echowinds !

The bridge version is very usefull for cinematics.

It is also great that you added the alternative playable/walkable instructions.

Great and complete guide good work !

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 06 April 2005 09:21 PM EDT (US)     8 / 34  
Thanks, everyone.

Now I am just waiting for Theris' "Added ". Lol.

posted 06 April 2005 10:36 PM EDT (US)     9 / 34  
How do you get the water rippled??

Buddha made food for a reason
posted 06 April 2005 11:28 PM EDT (US)     10 / 34  
Yes,I like it.I'm very dissapointed that you can't use the bridges though.Combining the 2 would be great!It would make the town usable and very beautiful.=D
posted 07 April 2005 05:43 AM EDT (US)     11 / 34  
Added.

Quoted from Submission Error:

» Your post is too short.

What's that? So I can't use my catchphrase any longer.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 07 April 2005 05:45 AM EDT (US)     12 / 34  
new rule thingy i think. sure is annouying though.

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
posted 17 April 2005 05:53 AM EDT (US)     13 / 34  

Quote:

Excellent stuff, this is what you used in the screenshot in your pack right?

Yes.

Ok, so its a bumb, but so what?

posted 23 April 2005 01:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 34  
as a noob to senario makein how do u flip the wall side ways?

Spike

posted 23 April 2005 04:46 AM EDT (US)     15 / 34  
You need Reyk's Editor, found in the Download section.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Corn for the Corn God!
posted 23 April 2005 05:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 34  
great guide, very usefull to make a village of fishermen or lake dwellings.
In any case to make your bridge walkable just create it a little larger simply to increase a little its width

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens
posted 28 April 2005 04:03 PM EDT (US)     17 / 34  
why does nowone answer my questions? i asked why the water is rippled. on my game it isin't.

Buddha made food for a reason
posted 28 April 2005 06:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 34  
@ zenney19

Quote:

why the water is rippled. on my game it isin't

Can have 2 possibilities:

1) your game is not seton high detail

2) your grafix card is not good enough to make the water riples visible

solution:

1) set it on high detail

2) upgrade your computers grafix card

best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 28 April 2005 07:39 PM EDT (US)     19 / 34  
or, if u made the water and didnt click the butafy button then the waves wont appear. to get wave u can also put in some of the "wave unit"

spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
posted 28 April 2005 08:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 34  
only if it is an ocean water
posted 29 April 2005 05:02 AM EDT (US)     21 / 34  
There's a difference between ripples and waves.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
posted 29 April 2005 10:26 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34  
oh she just meens the ripples in the middle of the water. then dat wouldnt be a wave unit thing.

Spike

All men dream, just not some as much as others. Some men dream of great things in the dark of night, but when morning comes they see that these things are out of their reach and forget them. Other men dream in the day, these men are dangerous men indeed, for they dream of change and conquest and fight for it with unmatched strength. These are the Chaos Knights
posted 30 April 2005 07:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 34  
Great guide echo, nice work!

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 30 April 2005 11:09 AM EDT (US)     24 / 34  
Very nice guide Echo! (not sure if i already replied here but im not about to check either )

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 30 April 2005 11:37 AM EDT (US)     25 / 34  
Good job Echowinds, all your guides are awsome!

Reverie World Studios
.:°.- Swift Sampson - .°:.
My custom AoM-TT Menu Backround
Member of Liquid Fire Studios | My AoM / AoE3 Eyecandy Screens | The Rise of Zeus
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Water Town Eye Candy Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames