You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Lord Gaurdian's Autobiography!
posted 29 July 2005 03:48 PM EDT (US)   

Greetings all! By now, I am sure most of you know who I am. You've heard of my tales, my exploits and have enjoyed my work throughout my stay in this community. You've come accross this page because you want to know more- which is exactly what I am about to give. My real name is Mohammad, I am 18 and I was born in the L.A., California on May 15, 1987. Throughout my life, I have moved about, living in London and Paris before finally moving back here six years ago. I am a high-school graduate, and will be studying in the University of California, Irvine. Our family is well off- we have a home in Brea, CA, and a home in Westwood.

Designing

But enough of that. What you want to hear concerns my introduction into designing, and the evolution of my designing skills who's results you can see today. My first Age game was, infact, Age of Empires I. Actually, it was probably my first computer game as well- besides Prince of Persia. I was a designer even back then- after playing a few of the awesome scenarios other designers came up with, I tried a few of my own. But my first posted scenario actually came with Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, where, as a member of a multiplayer design team, I created 'Capture the Flag'. TiTaN_KiNG_L1 was my nickname, since back then I was the leader of a major clan, TiTaN, if anyone remembers it. After that, I worked on several single player RPGs which, sadly, I never released.

Now, on to AoM. When AoM first came out, I plunged into designing. My first scenario was Spartan- Cheezy might remember this one- it's current rating is 2.9/5, and as my first project ever, a complete waste of time, really. Though, I guess you guys can look back at this, and realize that most designers start out bad. So god knows, the 'noobs' you see now might be the designers extraordinare of the future.

I made a re-make to Spartan, by the way, while I was..away. That was around 2 years ago, though I only got around to posting it recently. I've learned alot since then.

My first major scenario came with KoTM: Heroes of Avalon, which took me a considerable time to complete since I actually intended it to be a campaign. I created 3 scenarios, and then, with Phatfish's advice, just released them one by one in quick successions. I was very critical of my work at the time, and didn't believe my scenarios would amount to anything, but, surprisingly, the KoTM series were well-taken, spotlighted, highly-rated and are among the most downloaded scenarios on AoM's database. I guess I should thank Cheezy for this- who spotlighted my work- I do owe him alot for starting my 'designer career'.

The rest, surely you know. My next projects were never released (two of them remain hidden), except for Birthright-The Adventure- one of my most ambitious projects ever, perhaps a reason it didn't go as well as I anticipated- and Heroes Chronicles, the most recent of my scenarios, which I designed in colaboration with the wacko Elpea. I am proud to say that they are both highly rated, downloaded and hopefully, admired by the community.

Design Teams

Now, on to design teams. My first design team was Blackstorm Inventions, of which Phatfish and Lorenzo were the leaders. Later on, I joined Merlord Studios, then shifting to Ambition Designs before finally moving to Liquid Fire Studios. I'm currently still the leader of LFS, and have no plans of changing, no matter what the circumstances. The team is the best I've worked with, and perhaps the best in the HG community so far. In such short time, we've released a multitude of fantastic projects, my favorite of which has to beIncident-39 by eXtinction- a god damn FANTASTIC mod!

During my stay at Blackstorm Inventions, I learned alot. Dr. Lorenzo and Phatfish are both great teamplayers and, if it wasn't for them, quite frankly, I wouldn't have learned anything, espiacally when it comes to organizing my work into a playable map. Unfortunately, like alot of teams lately, BSI was plagued with leadership and other ridiculous problems, and Lorenzo and I never got along. I quit BSI to join Merlord Studios, though Phatfish and I remained close. He's still one of my closest friends.

Merlord Studios was organized, though it just lacked that friendly feel other teams had. We had to sign contracts, work on annoying deadlines, and a bunch of other useless limitations that were, basically, nothing but nuisances that hindered your ability to design with a peace of mind. Merlord was a good team in that it got the job done- it's projects were pretty cool. But it had various issues, including appalling leadership, that just couldn't be solved. So I quit...

..And joined Ambition Designs. Ambition Designs is one of the greatest teams you will ever work with. I considered alot of teams before joining, including DGDN, but in the end I found AD the most designer-friendly place to work. It does have some problems, but overall, my stay was enjoyable. However, later on, I met RiderofEternity- who happened to be one of my Merlord 'mates'- and together, we formed Liquid Fire Studios.

With Liquid Fire Studios, my main, and insane goal, was to re-create the Scn Punk of the past. We brought together some of Age of Mythology's greatest designers, including the legendary eXtinction and the talented multiplayer designed Nodgene, and put together a team which, I can proudly say, is a large figure in today's design community.

Our goal, with LFS, was to create a team that integrated itself into the community. Our projects would be influenced by the community- whether by feedback in our posts, or public-playtests for our upcoming scenarios. We would hold community events, distribute files useful to the community and today, we are working on a website that will be an asset to the community as well. By the end of 2005, Liquid Fire Studios will have released three of Age of Mythology's greatest and largest Total Conversions ever- the LTA mod, Incident-39, and the upcoming Star Wars.

These three mods are the results of huge, massive teams of talented modders, scripters and designers working together perfectly and the results are really outstanding. You have GOT to see the space battles in that Star Wars mod. I was totally blown away.

Well, that's about it. I guess there's more to it, but this is a designer biography after-all, not a community one. I do plan on designing for Age of Empires III, where I plan to re-create the events surrounding Jack Absolute in a massive-RPG I've dreamt of making for AoM.

As for my AoM designing? I'll still be around. AoM will always have the best designing community, atleast in my eyes.

There is one more thing- look for it on HG news in the future!

Contacts

- Liquid Fire Studios Website: http://liquidfirestudios.net

- My MSN: scooter_logical ( a t ) hotmail ( d o t ) com

[This message has been edited by Lord Gaurdian (edited 07-30-2005 @ 08:36 PM).]

Replies:
posted 29 July 2005 04:52 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
Nicely written, although it never made even think about changing your stance as AOMH's most boastful designer .
posted 29 July 2005 05:06 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Solidly done article, it reminded me of your works - I remember they were trully unique at the time.

Would have been nice to ellaborate more on LFS and its history/the history of those other teams I fell out of the design team loop and really don't know much about those teams other than they exist.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 29 July 2005 05:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Nice article, not quite as lnog as Cheezy's though :P
posted 29 July 2005 06:12 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  

Quote:

Would have been nice to ellaborate more on LFS and its history/the history of those other teams

Not a bad idea. Might do an article on them later on, since I've been around most of the design teams.

Actually I almost got into Scn Punk once, but then had a spat with good ol' LD.

posted 29 July 2005 06:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
I hated LD.

BTW Gaurdian why do you still not want to tell us your surname?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG

[This message has been edited by RiderOfEternity (edited 07-29-2005 @ 06:14 PM).]

posted 29 July 2005 06:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
Nice article
posted 29 July 2005 06:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
I already told you it, on MSN Messenger. I don't reveal it on a public, internet website because I live in the United States and have children at home (brothers and sisters). On top of that, I like having my privacy and distributing real-life info online is not a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Lord Gaurdian (edited 07-29-2005 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 29 July 2005 10:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
I refuse to read this until you mention me in it.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 30 July 2005 00:31 AM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
I love you
posted 30 July 2005 03:50 AM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
What's with the banner thou?

posted 30 July 2005 07:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Short and to the point, i like it.

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 30 July 2005 08:15 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
The banner is my signature on Total Designer.

I'm going to edit with more info on the design teams, and my experience(s) with them.

posted 30 July 2005 08:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
I wasn't gonna read it til I noticed my name in shiny red. I ended up not reading it anyway .

Grats!

posted 30 July 2005 08:36 PM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
ROFL. I wonder if anyone actually reads them.

BTW, updated with alot more info on all those design teams I jumped through.

posted 07 August 2005 05:39 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23  

!!!!!
-----o00o----( @ @)-------o00o
(_)

posted 07 August 2005 06:54 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
^Do us all a favor and stop spaming up the forum.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 08 August 2005 00:56 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
I have to agree.
posted 08 August 2005 01:13 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
!!!!!

-----o00o----( @ @)-------o00o

(_)

^That looks like Lord Guardian's-

!!!!!

( o o )

----oOO----(_)----OOo----

posted 08 August 2005 03:48 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
a bad copy.

The Gaurdian monkey is sacred. And Gaurdian if you get rid of it ill kill you

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 08 August 2005 09:06 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
It's a monkey?!?
OMG, I was thinking the wrong thing this whole time

posted 09 August 2005 01:08 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Who dares insult my monkey?

It's going to win the sig of the year award some day. It's also the longest living sig on HG (3 years).

posted 09 August 2005 02:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
I thought that was TFWs sig?

[This message has been edited by Mr Muppet (edited 08-09-2005 @ 02:04 PM).]

posted 09 August 2005 11:32 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
Oh yeah.

Second longest

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Lord Gaurdian's Autobiography!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames