Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Editing-resistant security measures
posted 03 June 2006 03:26 PM EDT (US)   
Recently I heard lots about scenarios being changed by noobs on ESO and I've heard some people say they have "security measures" to prevent others from editing. Can anyone share some things they do to prevent others from editing easily?

Replies:
posted 03 June 2006 04:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 20  
Reinfire knows some

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 03 June 2006 04:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 20  
ok heres one of hundreds of ways
Put a cinmatic block but oversize it to cover the map then make it so that the cinmatic block if destroyed disables a bunch of necassary triggers and shakes camera and changes color and then overlay text this map has been edited to hide these things put a group filled with inactive triggers and one active trigger which is that screw it up trigger be creative with some other ideas 2!

Yeah.... I need a better signature
  • City Under Siege
  • Help9113's Cat and mice
  • Random Myth Wars
    AomT name: Help9113 or Quicksilver
    Senario Design team: None (After about 20....)
  • posted 03 June 2006 04:46 PM EDT (US)     3 / 20  
    hope he does. im scared of people making my new sims a pile of junk
    posted 03 June 2006 04:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 20  

Quote:

Put a cinmatic block but oversize it to cover the map then make it so that the cinmatic block if destroyed disables a bunch of necassary triggers and shakes camera and changes color and then overlay text this map has been edited to hide these things put a group filled with inactive triggers and one active trigger which is that screw it up trigger be creative with some other ideas 2!

You couldn't do that in the editor, and you can't delete cinematic blocks in game

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
    posted 03 June 2006 04:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 20  
    i thought there was this complex trigger. When somebody changes the map by one tiny bit even (just adding another block of water or changing sandy land to grassy or adding 1 unit) the game gets ruined when the guy plays it. Its something like everybody cant move and buildings dont work.
    posted 03 June 2006 06:38 PM EDT (US)     6 / 20  
    hmm it makes it uneditable though

Yeah.... I need a better signature
  • City Under Siege
  • Help9113's Cat and mice
  • Random Myth Wars
    AomT name: Help9113 or Quicksilver
    Senario Design team: None (After about 20....)
  • posted 03 June 2006 06:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 20  
    I discovered a way a long time ago similar to what Aomts_help911 said.

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=13&tn=22213&f=13,,,all&st=0

With this trick, every time you want to edit the map, you can just delete the cinematic block and replace it with a new one and update the trigger when you are done.

And, here are two more ways posted by Archaeopterix in the same thread (12th reply):

Quote:

Nice idea. I really like the mercenary trick though. A trigger checking if there's a certain mercenary - placed in the editor right before saving the scen - on the map. If not, it apparently died in the editor, thus it is a n00b-edit . End game. Camouflage the checking trigger though.

But the best solution is just to make your scenario so complicated the n00bs won't understand it

[This message has been edited by Pepsidude_123 (edited 06-03-2006 @ 06:47 PM).]

posted 05 June 2006 04:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 20  
    I don't understand how the mercenary trick works.

Can someone please tell me? Thanks.

posted 05 June 2006 04:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 20  
    You place a mercendary and put the condition "is alive" in a trigger with the fire event for cinematic mode off, if a n00b opened the editor, saved the file etc. Then the mercendary would die, meaning the players would be stuck in cinematic mode being unable to play the game, of course people being stuck in cinematic mode is just a example.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
    No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 06-05-2006 @ 04:44 PM).]

posted 05 June 2006 04:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 20  
    This must sound stupid, but I don't see why the mercenary will die if a noob opens the scenario.

posted 05 June 2006 05:38 PM EDT (US)     11 / 20  
    Umm, dont people just shrink the giant units?

My way is to have a trigger where the condition is if the plyers are comps, the map dosnt work. You set all the players comps in editor but if YOU want to edit the map, you set then human then change them back after testing. It would be hard for noobs to guess that one!

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 06-05-2006 @ 05:40 PM).]

posted 05 June 2006 06:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 20  
    But if all players are computer when the final version is done, how can anyone play it on ESO?

posted 05 June 2006 06:29 PM EDT (US)     13 / 20  
    Firstly, the mercenary trick is awesome.

@ darkdude

A mercenary only lives for a certain amount of time ( 1 minute??? ). Anyway, if you place one in the editor right before you save it and add an "is alive" trigger, the map will only play if the mercenary is alive. However, if someone has edited the map, they would have had the editor open long enough for the mercenary to die and the trigger would then prohibit the map from running correctly.

@ nottud

Your way sounds good too. It eliminates the need to adjust the trigger every time you wish to edit the map.

Lastly, thanks to all who posted new tips for security. These should be very helpful in scenario design.

My Scenario: Battle Pit
    There once were four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to do and Everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody would not do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
    posted 05 June 2006 07:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 20  
    Wow, we brainstormed this on archsyndicate and that mercanary trick is the best solution.
    posted 05 June 2006 07:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 20  
    @Wadinator, there is a way to pause the editor. So this would be the way around setting the trigger each time you edit the map.

oh you can wait for what I can give
    you know what I am so you know how I live
    try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
    its happening now and it’s always been like this.
    posted 05 June 2006 07:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 20  
    I thought units while in editor mode are in "suspended animation". I never knew that lifespans still count in the editor.

But I don't understand how nottud's way works.

Quote:

there is a way to pause the editor

Let me guess, Pause Button?

posted 05 June 2006 09:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 20  
    @ darkdude

Come on guys, give me more! All you've got!
    What a nice trick though... to have all of these very protective people showing one after the other all of their secrets! That is beautiful! And smart! You've got some talent. Alright, guys, dinner is served! Just help yourselves! And...it's on the house!
    I'm not hungry myself... I like fresh food.

posted 06 June 2006 04:25 AM EDT (US)     18 / 20  
    if your map runs of kills or resources, you can add a trigger that sets player one defeated if he/she gets a large amount of resources/kills within the first minute.

The cinematic block one is my favorite, Most noobs who edit scenarios are going to open it in the editor and want to look at the map. Giant cinematic blocks are gonna be deleated, which in turn stops editing with triggers.

Or maybe use a combination of ALL anti-editing triggers.

Also Someone is trying to convert the Stronghold Lock box (located here ) to AOM, which renders a scenario playable, but it cant be opened in the editor!

Out Reach
    The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by newreach268 (edited 06-06-2006 @ 04:26 AM).]

posted 06 June 2006 01:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 20  
    When you play online, the settings overwrite the all players comps so it won't happen.

For the mercenries, you would have to pause the editor everytime you would want to edit!

Not sure how that will work that LOCK program. Won't it be on the map if you download it from another player?

The boy with the mad imagination
    Prepare for the ultimate duel!
    Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
    Find out and download the transform trigger here.
    Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 06-06-2006 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 06 June 2006 08:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 20  

Quote:

When you play online, the settings overwrite the all players comps so it won't happen.

I am sorry, I must be stupid, but I still don't see how that will help. So if I were a noob I would just open your scenario and edit it, I won't even test, and then I would still be able to play online because all computers become humans.

I never knew computers get reset to humans when you play on ESO. If that's the case then the host must manually set all supposed computers back to AI instead of humans?

Quote:

Also Someone is trying to convert the Stronghold Lock box

OMG I will worship whoever succeeds that!

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Editing-resistant security measures
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames