You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Possible way to protect your scenario from noobs
posted 11 October 2005 09:23 AM EDT (US)   
Lately, I have seen a lot of people mad at the noobs on eso for taking their scenarios and editing them. I thought of one way which might stop that.

Here are the directions:
1. Place some really big revealers so nobody can see your map.
2. Make a trigger in the beggining of the game that is like, after opening cinematic or introduction fire event - turn revealer into those one cinematic blocks and then that would fire another trigger that would continue the game.
3. Name your trigger something noobs won't understand or something they won't mess with like cinematic dialog.
4. Play your scenario online.
5. A noob will take it and edit it. They will delete the huge cinematic block to look at it. They will not know why the scenario won't work after that.

I haven't been able to try this, but do you think it will work online? Any other suggestions?

- Pepsidude_123

[This message has been edited by pEpsIdUDe_123 (edited 10-11-2005 @ 07:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11 October 2005 10:04 AM EDT (US)     1 / 18  
Nice ideas, good thinking

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 11 October 2005 11:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 18  
thats actually the best plan ive ever heard. quick edit the topic the noobs are everywhere!

no really this should be given to people who you know will use it, and not for those who will abuse it. keeping it online much longer and it will be useless as they will lern the idea and get round it.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 11 October 2005 12:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18  

Quote:

1. Place some really big cinematic blocks so nobody can see your map.

Ingenious!

However, the only solid way to make sure the a scenario isnt edited by such sed nubs, is to make it far too tactical and complex for them to understand/like in the first place.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.
posted 11 October 2005 12:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18  
Brilliant! I'd never have thought of that myself in a million years. How did you think of the idea?

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
posted 11 October 2005 02:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 18  
nice idea, thanx.
posted 11 October 2005 03:55 PM EDT (US)     6 / 18  
posted 11 October 2005 04:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 18  
good, stuff, man

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 11 October 2005 04:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 18  
Wow, amazing idea, never would have thought of it myself.

Cavuy | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003
posted 11 October 2005 07:12 PM EDT (US)     9 / 18  
Thanks for the comments guys. I don't really think I have to edit it though because I don't think a noob will look throught every triggers to find out what one it is.

posted 11 October 2005 07:17 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18  
Great idea!

But, sometimes people who aren't that n00bish edit maps, and they find their way around that, so it doesn't protect it 100%. Anyways, good job though!

posted 12 October 2005 02:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 18  
great idea pEpsIdUDe, very creative.
Allow me to say something guys, do we really care if people hack our maps so that they can play it online? Experience tells us, that if someone really wants to do it -he probably will if he devotes the time and effort. So I say that we shouldn't waste the effort trying to "protect" our scenarios, but put all our efforts into designing.

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 12 October 2005 08:28 AM EDT (US)     12 / 18  
Nice idea. I really like the mercenary trick though. A trigger checking if there's a certain mercenary - placed in the editor right before saving the scen - on the map. If not, it apparently died in the editor, thus it is a n00b-edit . End game. Camouflage the checking trigger though.

But the best solution is just to make your scenario so complicated the n00bs won't understand it

posted 12 October 2005 11:58 AM EDT (US)     13 / 18  
Usualy, the n00b will not sped time and effort trying to fix a map, because that is what he is trying to avoid by fixing it.

Rabid Potatoe Is The Win.
posted 12 October 2005 05:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18  
I think I just won't make any multiplayer scenarios, but excellent idea. Most noobs at ESO don't even know what triggers are

But to add to that, put the trigger that fires the start thing in a huge list of QV triggers and name it something weird in those QV like i do in my scens "RSOQV1_1v1" or something They actually have a meaning but at the end of completing my list, I have forgotten what they mean Anyway, good idea and sorry for the off topicsy

posted 13 October 2005 10:18 AM EDT (US)     15 / 18  
i have to admitt, tats pretty nice thinking. but have you ever thought that the noobs could deletee the revealers?

||||||||||-------------------|||||||||||
~~~~~~Lord of the Noobs~~~~~~
((((((((((Dragonfreak016)))))))))
~~~~~~Lord of the Noobs~~~~~~
||||||||||-------------------|||||||||||
posted 13 October 2005 01:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18  
Dragon, I hope you get banned eventually for spamming, but this just adds to it:P You obviously haven't read/understood the post yet.

Anyway, great idea, yes! I'll use this occasionly, It's just that you hve to remove the triggers etc when you want to edit it yourself again. You should obviously put it in at the last moment, but if you want to make more versions... yes

posted 13 October 2005 01:39 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18  
The only real way to stop it, is to make your MP into a RMS file... Then they are too scared to touch it.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.
posted 13 October 2005 02:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18  
ya but the only thing is they dont know the difference and if they did they would probaby know to look for the triggers.

go away dragon freak.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Possible way to protect your scenario from noobs
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames