Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Battle for Thrynn
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 11 November 2008 10:10 PM EDT (US)   

he people of Thrynn have been ruled by two opposing deities since the beginning of time:
 Embir the wiseThe Goddess, EmbirStraife the dominantThe God, Straife   
Although they cannot enter the physical realm of man, their influence on their followers is great..

For centuries, the well-trained Embirian army has held back the vicious, yet disorganized armies of Straife using strength of arms and a barrier wall between the two lands.

The Embirian army at the border wall 
The traitor scholar delivers knowledge to the enemy leader..But as it always has been with man, peace is never permanent. Greed and power will eventually find its hold in even the noblest of Embirians - even one who was trusted to keep the secrets of their ancient library safe,  secrets so powerful that in the wrong hands, they could bridge the ancient barrier that keeps a god from entering the world of men..
Embir awakens from her slumber...Embir awakens.. 
Embir shares her plan with Kohann and his battlemates...and calls upon the great leader of her people, Kohann, to face this new challenge. Kohann (center), chooses his battlemates carefully. Ogien (left) was a former follower of Straife, but since his defection, has given Kohann a great advantage over their common enemy. Kaline (right) is a scholar of ancient magic and martial arts, particularly with the staff. Her knowledge of dark magic will be critical in defeating the ancient evil our heroes will face. 
The warriors will have to travel deep into enemy land to Straife's shrine where the ancient laws between the gods and man are being broken in payments of blood and sacrifice. The heroes travel to the heart Straife's land..
Rexel, the face of evil..Rexel, with his innate leadership skills has organized the tribes of Straife into a recognizable army. Driven by sheer hatred of the people of Embir - especially Kohann, he will, and has stopped at nothing to become the supreme ruler of Thrynn. Will Kohann be able to stop him from summoning Straife into Thrynn? 
Trailer now avialable:
<a title="Watch Youtube trailer" target="_blank" href="" />
  Preview the Halo Effect
<a title="Watch Youtube trailer" target="_blank" href="" />
Failure Cinematic Completed

Fail your in your mission and see your army being overrun down to the last commander(Kurtlinn, right), hordes of enemy fighters overrun your city gates and attack your citizens while Embir watches in horror, helpless from the realm of the gods all to the chilling music of Gustav Holst.

Kurtlinn's last stand...
Commander Kurtlinn is left to face the horde alone...
Details:
  • This is my Boss-battle contest map where the point was to make the best, most interesting Boss-battle.
  • Despite being a 150 x 150 (contest rules) map, there is an intricate, carefully directed, written and acted intro cinematic lasting over 10 minutes!
  • The sound effects will consist of AOM sounds supplemented with carefully chosen excerpts from Gustav Holst's the Planets and Wagner's Die Gφtterdδmmerung (Twilight of the Gods).
  • The storyline is carefully intertwined with the game play for added emotion and realism and features winning and losing cinematics.
  • The first battle involves defeating an army of undead creatures who rise from the dead and when defeated blast choking sands at their attackers until the soul that has been stolen is released to heaven in a beam of light - all made possible by a revolutionary new custom trigger written to manage up to thirty monsters using a single effect.
  • This project is the embodiment of my story-telling, triggering, screenshot and cinematic skills and will (hopefully) cement my legacy in the world of AOMH.

To do list:

• Add music clips and more sounds to cinematic and fix scene continuity
  • tune strength of undead army
  • finish final battle
  • create success cinematic
  • create failure cinematic *done
  • Consider creating voice acting
  • test
  • release

Updates:

11/12 Fixed player # issues, edited sound files, timed and placed music for corpse scene (very chilling), intro cinematic battle..
11/16 Created new triggers for custom placement of effects for the final battle and visualized the final battle sequence
11/19 Added more cinematics before undead battle and refined existing dialogue, fixed diplomacy issues.
11/21 Updated intro story battle scene with more action and sound effects. Created custom unit create effects for square, round and spiral deployment pattern.
11/23:

• Refined more text and fixed timing and animation choices for Embir's dialog.
  • Edited music to fit traitor scene.
  • Got idea to place title after intro story and release as video.
  • Developed circle/spiral pattern math w/o trig functions that will allow for new series of Unit Halo effects in rotating spiral, circular, spiral vertical, radius expanding and rising patterns that follow a chosen unit.

• 11/28 Finished unit move to point trigger using teleport command. Created title sequence and released
    <a title="go to trailer thread" target="_blank" href="" /> TRAILER of intro sequence.
    12/2 Began work on position units in circle trigger which will lead to the unit Halo triggers.
    12/5 Reworked the math on the circle trigger to work for all radii and allow for a shift.
    12/7 Created first Halo trigger: flat circle rotating style.
    12/8 Create the vertical spiral version of the halo and released
    <a target="_blank" href="" /> Video
    12/10 Smoothed the timing between new trailer sequence and rest of intro movie. Fixed consequences of stealing movie space for title.
    12/14 Updated the undead army effect (manage up to 30 monsters individually through a four-phase life cycle in a single effect) from test mode to production use .
    12/18 Fixed bugs in poison effect code. Created a communication system so that the each instance of the Zombie Manager effect can tell you how many of its zombies are currently dormant,alive,dying and dead and which hero(es) is/are currently being poisoned by using predictably named questvars. This allows for triggers to be created that will know when all zombies have been killed as well as having special effects when the heroes are being poisoned like sound effects, etc.
    1/5 Organized the undead battle area into elemental zones of fire, poison and sands.
    1/8 Experimented with the three classes of undead with choice of effects, poison strength and duration. Created first segment of failure cinematic - Kurtlinn cornered
    1/12 Made huge progress on losing cinematic. Watch as your armies are overrun by the enemy hoard and see your best commander, Kurtlinn, cornered to fight to the death and the enemy storm the main gate to the city. Screenshot of Kurtlinn's last stand added.
    1/19 Finished losing cinematic. Improved torchlight and custom flickering firelight effects. Got fantastic idea from Mireille about final hero battle and enemy deployment using halos. Updated move object to point effect to fire event once point has been reached. Updated halo effect for rising/falling effects and flat circles and turn on/off ability.
    1/22 A great session with major upgrades to the halo effect:  there will be many variations to allow for incredible special effect possibilities!
    1/30 Worked on battle music. Chopped Uranus into two bridges, two levels of repeating battle music and the final release.
    2/2 Started applying the halo effects to the cinematics: Rexel's skull shield and fire/poison/sands curse.  Chose music for victory sequence (Siegfried's funeral anyone?) It's gonna be good   Finished cinematic up to undead battle. Created sound loops for storm and lightning crashes for easier sound control.
    2/7-8 Created the deploy version of the halo. Need to make the trigger reusable.
    Zombie trigger: tested and fixed all bugs in the Zombie triggers statistics . Fixed bug with using prototypes that disappear that threw off the count.
    Created conditions to support use of the zombie trigger: 
    2/17 made sound filenames consistent, created and implemented sound loops and centralized necessary lightings.
    2/18-3/10 Created and tested deploy version of halo for use in final battle.
    found painful long-term problem with halo effect being canceled by a previous trigger.
    Implemented halo-healing system, poison damage detection and implementation and indictation (audio and visual).
    Added a body countdown to undead scene and tuned and tested strength/healing/hitpoints sytem.
    Sent test copy to Baske for bugcheck/difficulty/idea feedback.
    Started post-undead battle cinematics and ran visual tests of main boss scene.
    3/11-8/5/09 major hiatus due to mental stuckness/everything else looked more interesting
    8/5-12/09
  • Cleaned up previous quirkiness and timing problems with older cinematics. Updated the halo effects to latest versions.
  • Moved cinematic progress from undead battle area into shrine area. The heroes are trapped and sealed into the shrine area forced to witness theirs and everyone's end.
  •  

[This message has been edited by Elrich (edited 08-13-2009 @ 02:26 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 11 November 2008 10:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 105  
    Wow.

It's a pity this didn't make it out in time for the competition, it looks amazing. Nice html skills by the way

PurpleWorm
    Winner of the 2008 AoMH Boss Battle Competition
    Scenarios: Knights of Ni, Gargarensis Rap (4.5)
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird, and not enough the bad luck of the early worm." -Franklin D. Roosevelt
    posted 12 November 2008 02:57 AM EDT (US)     2 / 105  
    what do u mean by that single effect?

u made a whole battle with one trigger???

Its a very nice scenario i can't wait to fight!!

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

Mods - EmjeR's eyecandy pack :: Improved Greeks look :: Ghengis Khan - Mods
    Programs - BCTool Attachpoint Editor :: BCTool :: Words - Programs
    Games - 0 AD :: Stronhold 2 :: BfME 2 - Games
    !! Proud member of WildFire Games !!
    posted 12 November 2008 07:31 AM EDT (US)     3 / 105  
    So now you have the foot behind the door. You already know my opinion on it my friend, .

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
    posted 12 November 2008 11:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 105  

posted 12 November 2008 05:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 105  
    This looks amazing!

Former level designer at Reverie World Studios.
    I still do some levels for fun, though!
    posted 12 November 2008 05:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 105  
    Nice Nice
    posted 12 November 2008 09:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 105  
    Sounds great .

Old Bachus, Napoleon of Spam turned half decent forumer
    >>Winner of Most Improved AoMH Forumer '09<<
    ~If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it isn't in Danish, thank King Alfred.~
    >>My work<<

"Once you've stooped to Cash4Gold type stuff, you no longer are a celebrity." - Mozzy
    posted 13 November 2008 12:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 105  
    It sounds great Elrich. I see it's going to be quite an extreme story line.

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
    posted 13 November 2008 01:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 105  
    Awesome, and sexy too .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 13 November 2008 04:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 105  
    Thanks for all of your encouragement. I have forgone pretty much every other free time activity to finish off this project (and update the SST and Census).

One of the pieces of music I placed last night couldn't have been more perfect. It is a chilling build set to the ending of the intro cinematic where our three heroes are about to face their enemy and discover his power and remorseless cruelty....

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    posted 14 November 2008 04:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 105  
    Someone been playing Gal Civ? The Krynn councilate shall not be amused

But i'll let you off, looks good.

Out Reach
    The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
    posted 14 November 2008 06:26 AM EDT (US)     12 / 105  
    Yay you posted it
    posted 18 November 2008 03:54 PM EDT (US)     13 / 105  
    L0.0KS AWESO.oME!

GJ, hope to see this.

Will you be releasing that trigger? And can you please elaborate on it?

..........(@_ "Keyboard unnatached, press F10 to continue or F8 to troubleshoot."
    ._..........)..\__________________________________
    (_)@8@8{}<______________Mator______________>
    .............)_/ "You are tempting fate."
    ............(@
    (`•._.•[Creator of Miniscule!]•._.•΄)
    posted 18 November 2008 04:19 PM EDT (US)     14 / 105  
    Looks good, but the story might need just (a tiny bit) of polishing. I'd like to know more about how the conflict started, and why.

Also, is this an RPG, because in such a case, different environment showcases would be nice.

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 18 November 2008 05:02 PM EDT (US)     15 / 105  
    GJ, hope to see this.
    I posted this showcase as my committment and public promise to finish the project, so it shall be done.
    Will you be releasing that trigger? And can you please elaborate on it?
    The trigger is hardcoded (programmed specifically for) to fit my specific scenario right down to the actual object #'s of the undead army as they are placed on the map. When I finish and release this cinematic/boss battle, I will go back to the trigger and make several versions of it with different behaviors, make it easy and flexible to use and release it as a trigger pack. I am pretty sure nothing like this has been done before and expect it to be used in many scenarios after I release it as it opens up possibilities for monsters that are simply not practical to program using triggers.
    Looks good, but the story might need just (a tiny bit) of polishing. I'd like to know more about how the conflict started, and why.

Also, is this an RPG, because in such a case, different environment showcases would be nice.
    This was to be my entry into the Boss Battle Competition. It is only the ending boss battle. My strategy of a winning entry was to create a story that led to the big battle at the end. Unfortunately, I got seriously carried away with the story and making cinematics that I turned it into a project that couldn't be possibly done in time. Now after a few months of not working on it, I decided to finish it off as perhaps my swan song to the AOMH community. If you read the rules of the boss battle link above, you will find that this is NOT an entire RPG, but just the ending boss battle and therefore the screenshots come from the rather elaborate and detailed 10+ minute cinematic I wrote to give meaning, logic and drama to the final battles. I have written part of a prequel, but if I give up too much pre-history, it will reveal a secret in my story that is best discovered during the game.

posted 19 November 2008 02:21 AM EDT (US)     16 / 105  
    Okay.

Good you added the info at the bottom

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 19 November 2008 11:25 AM EDT (US)     17 / 105  
    So what kind of things are there going to be in this boss?

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
    posted 20 November 2008 01:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 105  
    perhaps my swan song to the AOMH community.
    What's this supposed to mean

posted 24 November 2008 09:52 AM EDT (US)     19 / 105  
    What's this supposed to mean
    His claim in the hall of fame, him showing to the community what he can do.

Did I just bump this? Oops.

posted 24 November 2008 09:57 AM EDT (US)     20 / 105  
    Swan song means (in my tiny little book) that someone gives his good bye / last sign... no?

posted 24 November 2008 09:59 AM EDT (US)     21 / 105  
    Elrich is a weird swan then.

posted 24 November 2008 10:08 AM EDT (US)     22 / 105  
    Swanzilla ftw!!!

posted 24 November 2008 10:51 AM EDT (US)     23 / 105  
    Experiments with the teleportation command have shown great promise. I expect to make what I call a unit halo effect where you can have objects/effects of your choice, animating around a unit that track with the unit's movement giving a halo effect. I also have successfully created a non-trig way of creating circles that is highly flexible and will enhance the halo effects immensely.

re: swann song thing: sometimes I feel like I have such little time to make the projects that I want to accomplish, that each projectd feels like the last one I will have time for, but I hope that won't be true because Baske and I will work on something together after I finish this project...

posted 25 November 2008 05:59 AM EDT (US)     24 / 105  
    This looks very interesting but how come my background html attribute wont work.

~~~~~~ My Work | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Mods ~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Scenarios ~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~ Analysis | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Also my Website ~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~
    ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ
    posted 25 November 2008 11:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 105  
    Oh yes I see, alright. Just don't hurry anything. So I guess the work on the "favourite triggers tool" has been abandoned? Just asking, not urging
    Collaboration with Baske sounds interesting. I expect a lot of muscles, cars and muscle cars, as well as the one or the other monkey driving the latter...

You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: