Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Best Greek God.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 17 June 2007 07:59 PM EDT (US)   
I've noticed many expert Zeus players start with a full cavarly build with heroes/centaurs at the VERY beggining of classical age warfare.

Poseidon can also do this yet better since he needs less vills on food/gold and more vills on favor to support the centaurs.

Well, what i'm trying to say in a very wierd way, can't Poseidon be just as powerful as Zeus if not better?

I mean, Poseidon can definetly boom faster than Zeus!
Therefore he can start making powerful units more quickly.

Zeus cannot use his myrmidon/Collosus build on possy, cause:

Possy is greek
Possy can just counter with Hypapist/Toxete/Hero build.

Doesn't the economy rule both offence and defense for it can effectively perform both.

Poseidon is economical with market use being cheaper and the lure god power.

The lure god power is a VERY powerful god power.
Possibly better than sentinel.
It not only gives you a nice constant supply of food in emergency food need situations, but it also lures MOST of the dangerous animals in your area to be devoured by ur TC, and therefore makes ur area safer for villager movement.

Poseidon is offensive as a raider with his cheaper cavarly.
I like to call his Hippokins Rippokins because they can RIP an economy apart.

Poseidon is defensive with his free milita which get many useful bonuses such as slightly countering Set's animals and the ability to perform the FASTEST RUSH IN THE GAME:
THE MILITIA RUSH.

Unlike Zeus, Poseidon can get an earthquake godpower, and this godpower will pretty much PREVENT YOUR ENEMY FROM GETTING A TITAN(If he's not Isis/Oronos/Gaia )

And your ceasefire godpower will HELP HEAVILY in not only helping you make that titan, but also chopping a minute off a wonder victory.

And now, compare Zeus/Poseidon/Hades, and don't just consider Zeus the best because of his OP Bolt God power, but compare improvements/God paths and deception builds.

[This message has been edited by LightmareNikita (edited 06-17-2007 @ 08:01 PM).]

Replies:
posted 18 June 2007 03:16 PM EDT (US)     31 / 82  

http://aomzeus.googlepages.com/zeus,thebestofthegreekgods

We should play one of this days Kang...

Strongest greek God: Zeus.

End of discussion.
posted 18 June 2007 03:46 PM EDT (US)     32 / 82  
1st off, DeathandAsshole, can you stop calling me what you did or you're new nickname stays.

2nd, yes, perhaps Zeus gets different benefits than Possy, not better, different. DeathandAsshole pretty much critisized everything i said, dude, THE MILITA RUSH IS THE FASTEST RUSH, PERIOD

YOU KNOW WHY THOSE POSEIDON PLAYERS REACH 2008?
THEY PERFORM THE MILITIA RUSH AND LIKE YOU SAID, NOBODY EVER TRIED THE MILITIA RUSH ON YOU BECAUSE YOU FIGHT NOOB POSEIDON PLAYERS. TRY SURVIVING A GOOD MILITIA RUSH WILL OVERRUN EVERY CIVILIZATION.

Therefore, Poseidon is the rusher of the greeks, and has possibly more offence than Zeus. Poseidon's Cavarly will own a zeus player before the zeus player survives to mythic, and even when he gets to mythic, the myrmidon will just be a weaker version of the hoplite, or possibly the same as the hoplite yet more expensive. The myrmidon counters eggies,norse and atties human units, and it does not counter greeks, so the zeus fast mythic is useless.

I've seen a recorded game where a 1979 Zeus was defeated in 16 minutes by a 1945 Poseidon because Poseidon used the Militia Rush.

Anyway, That's my opinion, and it doesn't matter what zeus has, against a militia rush, all he can do is bolt a villager (rofl) and that's going to totally ruin the whole rush, Sarcasm >

So, IMHO, Poseidon>Zeus>Hades!
posted 18 June 2007 03:58 PM EDT (US)     33 / 82  
Light, what is your rate?
posted 18 June 2007 04:54 PM EDT (US)     34 / 82  
Right now, i'm scratching around 1690 and 1750, can't seem to go out of that zone.
posted 18 June 2007 04:57 PM EDT (US)     35 / 82  
Lightmare stop spamming stuff about how good poseidon is. I admit he is powerful, but there is no need to put it in every single thread.

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,25169,0,10

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,25205,0,10

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=25208&st=recent&f=1,0,0,10

DUDE, i want to see that rec of the 19+ Zeus v possy game :P LIAR

[This message has been edited by BlackSun88 (edited 06-18-2007 @ 05:17 PM).]

posted 18 June 2007 05:08 PM EDT (US)     36 / 82  
Right now, i'm scratching around 1690 and 1750, can't seem to go out of that zone.
Don't make me laugh.

Post one account which even comes close.

LightmareNikita = 1591
LightmareNikita5 = 1607

And I've seen you play, it isn't anywhere near 1700 level so please dont try and deceive people it's not cool.
THEY PERFORM THE MILITIA RUSH AND LIKE YOU SAID, NOBODY EVER TRIED THE MILITIA RUSH ON YOU BECAUSE YOU FIGHT NOOB POSEIDON PLAYERS. TRY SURVIVING A GOOD MILITIA RUSH WILL OVERRUN EVERY CIVILIZATION.
You know fvck all. Salska, one of the best players of ALL TIME, who INVENTED the militia rush, could not get higher than 1730 using it. This. Tactic. Does. Not. Work.

The only good Poseidon player remotely active is Creed aka warrior, and he NEVER uses ilitia rush. Nor have I ever seen Juzam, the best aot poseidon player, use this strat.

This. Tactic. Does. Not. Work.

If you use a little thing called stand ground stance atty arent affected, and they are the only ones who cant fight off the vills you send.

If someone militia rushed me as Zeus, I would up at 4:30 using 1 hunt patch + herd in TC fire and spam centaurs --> gg.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 06-18-2007 @ 05:15 PM).]

posted 18 June 2007 05:14 PM EDT (US)     37 / 82  
lightmare

those players that reach 2008 ?

i bet there wernt many

and i believe ur askin for the best greek god or why ppl say zeus is better then possy
and DaP did was tell u everythin he cud to prove the point
ur obviously not liked

and stop arguin with DaP callin him names because he answered ur thread

and... u sed the militia can prevent the set animal rush which is the quickest in the game
which is how DaP read it aswell
and uve edited ur post since

shut up....

edit: u say he has different bonuses, not better, but different

trust me zues bonueses are better, and different

1690-1750?!?!
how can someone at this level be arguin about this and be gettin it soooo wrong??

NotN00b23
fox7574
Seven_Curd

[This message has been edited by fox7574 (edited 06-18-2007 @ 05:16 PM).]

posted 18 June 2007 05:16 PM EDT (US)     38 / 82  
I never said i had 100% accurate statistics, but dude seriously, do you have a life. Yeah, i lied about my rating, but in a couple of months it will get up there(By the end of the summer).

If you respected yourself, you would have just checked out my accounts to find the truth.

If you don't respect yourself, you would have found the truth and then reported it to the public.

I may have done a bad deed to lie about my rating so people could look up to me, but you did worse by reporting it into the public in detail. But hey, we can't all be good people now can we 11.
posted 18 June 2007 05:21 PM EDT (US)     39 / 82  
I believe it is my civic duty to report fraudulent behaviour. If you knew about a scam going around, you wouldn't tell your neighbours about it. I'm pretty sure most would agree that makes you the bad person.

Claiming to be 1750 to back up your dumb points is very low. You need the humiliation perhaps.

And if you think you're going to get 1750 by believing you already know everything about the game, and just need to play more, you ahve another thing coming. You need to accept when you're wrong sometimes.

Sometimes you need to scare the lambs,
tell tales of evil bad wolves.
Because if there is nothing to fear,
they might think for themselves.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 06-18-2007 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 18 June 2007 05:22 PM EDT (US)     40 / 82  
i highly doubt that you can reach 1700 in a couple months as poseidon with your "insights" on his abilities.
posted 18 June 2007 05:27 PM EDT (US)     41 / 82  
Then what should my insights on his abilities be blacksun?

And ok Sam_Ham, i admit i was wrong about Poseidon(I still think he has potential), but obviously Zeus>Poseidon....HOWEVER Poseidon>Hades(11/rofl)

Anyway sorry about arguing/insulting many people, i had an argument with my parents last night, and i had to blow some steem off, and when i returned today, i decided to defend my position...but when ur wrong, ur wrong.

Sorry

~LightmareNikita
posted 18 June 2007 05:54 PM EDT (US)     42 / 82  
Yeah, Possy sucks. We all know that Gaia is the best
posted 18 June 2007 07:44 PM EDT (US)     43 / 82  
lol sorry i was being weird. Anyway, i meant your "insights" because you sounded like you knew what you were talking about but you were being owned. 11
posted 18 June 2007 07:56 PM EDT (US)     44 / 82  
but dude seriously, do you have a life. Yeah, i lied about my rating,
You lie about a rating to make yourself seem cooler online, and then you tell someone else to get a life. Right...
posted 19 June 2007 03:13 AM EDT (US)     45 / 82  
I would say that Poseidon is sort of the Loki of Greeks.
I disagree. Loki is a rush god, but can also opt to hersir raid. Both Forseti and Heimdall are valid choices for Loki, depending on the situation. Same goes for Bragi and Njord, and even for Tyr and Hel. Loki has his 10% faster training bonus on all sorts of longhouse units and can use any type of unit combination. The only specialty is that Loki's hersirs are worth using not only against MU (due to free MU generation), so he will typically have more of them than the other Norses.

Meanwhile, Poseidon is a dedicated cavalry raid god. He hardly has another option than to make quick cavalry and raid with it, unless he decides to do something which is completely unsupported by his bonuses and would therefore be better done with another Greek god.
Well, that's because most people who have used them use them wrong.
Nope. That is because pretty much all people that use them do not know what they are doing, otherwise they would not be using them.
I can tell you several good examples of use of Hetairoi:

# Raid farms that are not protected by a lot of towers.
These farms will also fall quickly to an equally-sized bunch of hippikons. It does not take much to kill a farm. Hetairoi will kill the farm a little faster, but are crappy otherwise. Hippikons will also kill the farm quickly, but are otherwise still good units with lots of uses.

And how many farms are there which are not protected by building fire?
Take out houses that are not protected by a lot of towers.
Similar to farms, taking out unprotected houses is an easy task for regular hippikons just the same. Doing it slightly faster does not justify making a unit that is not worth the air that it breathes. And how many unprotected houses do you typically encounter with regard to the fact that most players build them around their towers so that the towers protect the houses and the houses protect the towers?
(towers with crenellations that is)
How many decent (!) opponents do not have crenellations against Poseidon by mythic age, which is when you can access hetairoi?
Take down markets. A group of 5 hetairoi could raid behind enemy lines and disrupt their market trade very effectively
Again, hippikons will do the job just as well without stinking to Olympus otherwise.
beleive me.
Sorry, but... no.
they little bit of bonus damage vs bildins for hops
Very little... only twice the amount of a normal hop, also doubling all attack upgrades.
Early on, no boiling oil is likely to be researched, so having 3 of these guys run in and take care of the towers and then the villagers, can have very drastic effects...
But good players will place their houses and armories around their towers, so that the towers can still fire. Boiling Oil itself is both a blessing and a curse, as it does less damage than the regular tower arrows.
if he has an army, 3 hips should be able to take on what he has... which will probably be something like

greek - hops (3-5 plus hero)
eggy - priests/pharoah/tower (possibly animals)
norse - ulfs maybe a couple hersirs.
Atty - MU/maybe a few valored units.
3 hips will lose to all of the above.

And by the time you have 3 hips, Attie will have more than a Prom or two and a few valored oracles. He has these when you have nothing yet, and when you have 3 hips, he already has katapeltes and/or turma on top of these.
and elephants (without upgrades) only slightly > hippikons...
Elephants defeat hippikons hands down, and they even defeat prodromos.

Darkness is a state of mind
Valor is the contempt of Death and Pain. (Tacitus)
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. (Piet Hein)
posted 19 June 2007 07:00 AM EDT (US)     46 / 82  
Death and Pain I suggest you get some new glasses, cause you're clearly not reading what people are writing. And you seem like you have to try to argue about everything. You don't have to answer for every word and sentence in someones post then take everything out of context.

I said Poseidon is sort of the Loki of Greeks, then i EXPLAINED it with saying "because his bonuses are limited to almost only one type of unit".

And as for the Hetairoi, I said "beleive me" it has it's uses, and if you would even just try the Hetairoi you wouldn't argue, because it _is_ better than hippikon at the tasks I pointed out.

To put it simple:

If you're gonna raid villagers - use hippikons.
If you're gonna raid buildings - use hetairoi.
posted 19 June 2007 07:11 AM EDT (US)     47 / 82  
If you're gonna raid villagers - use hippikons
No you use centaurs
If you're gonna raid buildings - use hetairoi.
Why would we want to raid buildings? In Mythic you have enough rescources to rebuild those buildings anyway.
If you want to get those buildings down, use something useful like helepoli who own most other units ( not sure about phants, but they even do decenly vs titans) ) in 1 on 1 fights, or colossi the greek tank
Death and Pain I suggest you get some new glasses,
I believe DaP does not even have glasses m8
And you seem like you have to try to argue about everything.
DaP can be annoying sometimes byt he does have the skills to back it up.

Noobs do not excist.
There are just players and better players.
posted 19 June 2007 07:41 AM EDT (US)     48 / 82  
Why you would like to raid buildings?

Because you can take out his far away market quickly, disrupting his gold flow very effectively.

And if you haven't tried it I suggest you try using hetairoi on farms. Hippikon are _not_ "just as good" for the task.

You can also take out a far away unprotected tc, but that would be secondary. Hetairoi are for raiding buildings. Period.
posted 19 June 2007 03:03 PM EDT (US)     49 / 82  
Deathandpain, you seem to have a big problem with anyone who makes a reasonably long post and therefore you quote each line they wrote and explain why it's wrong.

Just a little piece of statistics to prove you VERY wrong Deathandpain, according to my Sybex Age of Mythology strategy guide(With the titans version as well), it says that Heterio do 3.5 times the damage to buildings. That's pretty much around 3 times better and faster than a Hippokin would do. THEREFORE, do not push Heterio to the useless peasent level, they own buildings, period.
posted 19 June 2007 03:08 PM EDT (US)     50 / 82  
Yup, if you can keep them out of harms way and raid poorly defended places, which is always a challenge. But if you want to sabotage the enemy's farms or houses you can still hit and run a moderately defended area, since the buildings will be down in no time.

[This message has been edited by Caboose_Nor (edited 06-19-2007 @ 03:08 PM).]

posted 19 June 2007 05:20 PM EDT (US)     51 / 82  
1st off, DeathandAsshole, can you stop calling me what you did or you're new nickname stays.
LOL! rofl..
I may have done a bad deed to lie about my rating so people could look up to me, but you did worse by reporting it into the public in detail. But hey, we can't all be good people now can we 11.
again, LOL

Seriously, Poseidon is the weakest greek god out there. Yes, Hades is better, because for one, his unique unit is very, very good especially with burning pitch upgrade. Two, his bonuses are just so much better. Try earthquaking/meteor/tornado/implode a Hades. You won't do much damage. Not to mention he is solid against rushes (sents+stronger archers+upgrades towers asap) Poseidon is good if he can get the offensive first.

Also, Cent rush is done by 3:50. Krush is done by 3:32 (I have never seen in my life a 3:30 krush) and a villager rush is done before 4:00 mins. These are all effective rushes. Remember before you call militia rush good, you have to realize that only the computer would be dumb enough to get beat by it. Another human player would know right away to keep his villagers within TC fire.
posted 19 June 2007 06:06 PM EDT (US)     52 / 82  
Peace brothers !!!
Perhaps, one way to resolve the argument would be to check how many expert players are Zeus and how many are Poseidon, plus their position pts wise.
All I have to say with my measly rating is, that Zeus has more strats available it seems...

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 19 June 2007 06:12 PM EDT (US)     53 / 82  
I'm not arguing for Poseidon being better than Zeus :P
posted 19 June 2007 06:23 PM EDT (US)     54 / 82  
OK, i admit it, perhaps Zeus is better, but are you guys aure Poseidon doesn't beat hades, i mean, well, i can beat a hard hades on land, and hades is considered poseidon's #1 enemy.

P.S. I'm defending Possy so much because i refuse to play any other god...
posted 20 June 2007 04:56 AM EDT (US)     55 / 82  
Death and Pain I suggest you get some new glasses, cause you're clearly not reading what people are writing.
...such as?
I said Poseidon is sort of the Loki of Greeks, then i EXPLAINED it with saying "because his bonuses are limited to almost only one type of unit".
Which is not true, because Loki has his bonuses upon hersirs and myth units, plus a training speed bonus on all longhouse units. Poseidon is much more nailed down to one unit type, known as cavalry. His other bonuses are of economic nature, and I would not really call militia "a bonus on infantry".

Loki's specialty is that he is a rush god, one of the two meanest rush gods in the game. That is what characterizes Loki, and it has nothing to do with Poseidon.
because it _is_ better than hippikon
So the hetairoi is better than the hippikon because it _is_ better than the hippikon. Now that is a logics I sure cannot oppose...
I believe DaP does not even have glasses m8
Right. Back at the viewing test that was necessary for making my driver's license, they measured 120% viewing capability on both of my eyes. I did not want to show off with it, but you asked for it.
And if you haven't tried it I suggest you try using hetairoi on farms. Hippikon are _not_ "just as good" for the task.
But they survive the fire of the nearby TC and cren towers as well as the attacks of the peasants whose farms you are killing.
Deathandpain, you seem to have a big problem with anyone who makes a reasonably long post and therefore you quote each line they wrote and explain why it's wrong.
You mean I should just state that the whole post is crap altogether without going into the details? Then it would look as if I just made a claim without being able to back it up.

Meanwhile, you have shown that you are a lowlife liar and noob who has nothing to come up with but pretends to be a good player so that people listen to the garbage that he unloads in this forum. Nobody here respects you anymore after what you did in this thread. It is a fact that you have no idea about this game and how it works, yet you make the greatest claims and back them up with what is unmasked to be lies.

I do not see you improving anytime soon. In order to improve, the first step would be admitting that your knowledge and skill is still very limited, so that you are open to questioning your current beliefs and learning new information. Your ego prevents this from happening, as you cannot bear being wrong and having no idea, which is why you keep defending your opinion with more and more false claim and affirmations. You do not even seem to notice that nobody here believes you anymore or takes you serious.

Hell, you even blame Sam_Ham for revealing that you are but lying scum. You are just a joke, and you will remain one until you reconsider your whole attitude from its root. Hence the name that I am calling you.
Just a little piece of statistics to prove you VERY wrong Deathandpain, according to my Sybex Age of Mythology strategy guide(With the titans version as well), it says that Heterio do 3.5 times the damage to buildings.
LMAO The Sybex strategy guide. gasping for breath ROFL. The Sybex strategy guide. Now that is op!

Do you have any idea how crappy that guide is known to be? I never bought it (I do not need another copy of the manual), but in former times enough of it was quoted here in this forum to assess its value.

That being said, the particular value that you named is correct. Hetairoi get a 3.5x multiplier against buildings, and they are meant to be good for the purpose of killing buildings.

However, their base stats are so horrible that they are never worth making, especially when you compare them to the hippikon. Hippikons have lower pierce armor, but so much more hp that they live longer against the fire of crennelation towers! Hippikons also have the higher base damage, faster training time, and much higher speed. Hell, the speed of hetairoi is the same as that of ulfsarks! That "cavalry unit" has only infantry speed and is outrun by spearmen! (Although I agree you can bolster it a little with Hermes' speed upgrade.) Still hetairoi are more expensive than hippikons.

Look what even Caboose_Nor suggested to use hetairoi against: unprotected farms, houses, and markets. Yes, they will do a good job against these, but against those targets, a bunch of hippikons would do nicely as well, while not sucking horribly against everything else. Hipps may have to hack a little longer at the buildings, but in return they will get there faster, because they are faster.

As soon as there is any sort of defense - and that does include shooting buildings of whatever kind - hippikons will also live longer. This especially goes for any defenders that do hack damage - including villagers, because the hack armor of hipps and hetairoi is the same with the hetairoi having considerably less hp.
but are you guys aure Poseidon doesn't beat hades
Poseidon is not that bad against Hades, seeing that Possy is a cavalry god and Hades is an archer god. Then again, Hades tox do better against hippikons than one might think, and Hades has a lot to come up with. As a matter of fact Hades is much better against third (other) gods than Poseidon and is therefore the better Greek god.
i mean, well, i can beat a hard hades on land
Rofl... arrgh.... you know it is a case of murder to suffocate someone by means of laughing?

Your exploits against dumb CPU opponents are of absolutely no significance. Playing against the CPU has nothing to do with playing against real opponents, and tactics that work vs CPU are often worth nothing against an opponent who has a brain.

Learn and achieve a decent ESO rating and then we will see. Wait, after that lying move of yours I see a good chance that you get hold of a hack somewhere and then cheat yourself up the ladder in order to show off with it afterwards. I guess in your case we should insist in you defeating a good member of this forum, providing the replay, and him confirming that the replay is not forged.
I guess that is also the reason why Possy is so good...

posted 20 June 2007 05:16 AM EDT (US)     56 / 82  
You mean I should just state that the whole post is crap altogether without going into the details? Then it would look as if I just made a claim without being able to back it up.
LMAO :P
double the damage of normal hops
thnkx DaP
dint know it was this much :P

hmm,
funny how ppl keep biting at DaP
which is piss annoyin
cant u see, u make a post,
he corrects it, if u read what was put instead of being so arrogant u might learn somethin
he was a good player before i quit
and if he is still playin now,
hes gunna be jus as good if not better
he isnt here to argue, he is helpin u out
if ur too arragant to listen,
then wtf u doin on this forum.
lol thats fine, u wont reach much higher if u dont know how other gods are played though

NotN00b23
fox7574
Seven_Curd
posted 20 June 2007 11:09 AM EDT (US)     57 / 82  
You're still doing it Death and Pain. You're still arguing about everything and taking things out of context. And you're acting like a jerk to some of the people here calling them idiots and implying that they don't have any form of intelligence. For which reason I will not bother to spend a whole lot of time discussing with you. I think most people here are quite capable of using their heads, even though you might not think so. Now, please dissect my post and have at it. glhf
posted 20 June 2007 12:10 PM EDT (US)     58 / 82  
Generally blaming someone of "arguing about everything and taking things out of context" without becoming specific is an easy way to help yourself when you are running out of arguments to support your standpoint.

posted 20 June 2007 12:34 PM EDT (US)     59 / 82  
are quite capable of using their heads
then why do they come here askin questions
which ppl like DaP answer for them
and then get a faceful of abuse for it??
he only refers to people as idiots
when they start arguin with him and r gettin it totally wrong :\

NotN00b23
fox7574
Seven_Curd
posted 20 June 2007 01:11 PM EDT (US)     60 / 82  
If Caboose is possy than DAP is ZEUS and beating hell out of him..

I want a match between Caboos and DAP. What do u say DAP? Do u mind some free points :-p

"Nullo metro compositum est."
"It doesn't rhyme."

"Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema."
"I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The Best Greek God.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames