You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25 26 27 28 29 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 25 November 2011 10:36 PM EDT (US)   

Have any questions about creating scenarios ?
Ask them here !

So what is the purpose of this thread?
› Eliminate the clutter in this forum by, instead of creating new threads, asking any questions one may have about scenario design.
› To provide quick assistance and tips from the experts who are familiar with scenario design.
› To help you! This thread has an FAQ which you can relay back and forth to for those persistent and common questions that everyone asks.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

• Where are all my files such as recorded games and scenario files located?
    You can find scenarios in the default location "My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Scenario". Recorded games can be found in the "Savegame" folder. There are actually two "Age of Mythology" folders. The second one is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology". The folder in My Documents is for Titans, while the other one is for the game itself. When it comes to copying over downloaded scenarios and recorded games, use the "My Documents" one.

• Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
    Easy to fix. You have two options. For a quick, practical fix all you have to do is place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, and place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well. The other method is to simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions".

• Whenever I try and move my villagers in the editor, they always walk back to where they were!
    This is just a glitch. The best way to fix this is to simply select them, and right-click where you want them to go. They will walk to their destination.

• How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
    To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

• How do I make units larger or smaller?
    This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

• How can I change the stats for a unit?
    Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

• I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
    A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

• The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
    You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

• How can I have over 300 population?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

• My triggers have stopped working!
    Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

• How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
    Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

• There are so many dialogs, and it's hard to find the one I'm looking for. Is there a list I can download that explains what each one says?
    Yes there is.

• How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
    Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

• I can't see certain animations listed for a unit in the editor anymore! Where have they gone?
    You need to reset the animation for the unit that you were using last. In otherwords, if you deleted a unit that was in the process of an animation, you need to place it back on the map and click on "<normal>" in its animation box.

• Practical Guides

• Scenario Design Library Articles
  • Scenario Design Dictionary
  • Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
  • Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
  • Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger

• [This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 04-23-2014 @ 00:06 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 04 July 2012 02:42 AM EDT (US)     651 / 2501  
    Hello everybody!
    I've got a question about triggers. I want to give a "bolt" god power for player at the beginning. I've even found trigger: "Grant God Power". But with that trigger i have 2 god powers at the start of the game: "Bolt" and "Lure" (if i take Poseidon, for example). What trigger can help me to remove the "Lure" gp, so that there is only a "bolt"?
    Warning: I'm noob in triggers and scripting
    Если ктоибудь разговаривает поусски, мне было бы гораздо проще
    posted 04 July 2012 05:16 AM EDT (US)     652 / 2501  
    lol kirion you should really explore all the triggers and what they do.

there's a trigger called "player kill all god powers" which removes all god powers from their slot. simply run that trigger at the beginning before you grant the bolt
    posted 04 July 2012 09:06 AM EDT (US)     653 / 2501  
    Ghostoo, oh man, thanks! It worked.
    I know that i must learn triggers, but there are so many of them, so it is not always clear what this or that trigger effects.
    Anyway, thanks again
    posted 04 July 2012 09:30 AM EDT (US)     654 / 2501  
    The Elva_Rokk, try using these effects for purchasing/income:

<Effect name="Purchase Unit (Convert) on Selection">
    <Param name="SrcObject" dispName="Unit" VarType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerReq" dispName="Unit Player Req" varType="string">2</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerNew" dispName="New Player" varType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ResName" dispName="Resource" varType="resource">food</Param>
    <Param name="Amount" dispName="Cost" varType="long">100</Param>
    <Command>if (trCurrentPlayer() == %PlayerNew%) {</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsOwnedBy(%PlayerReq%)) {</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsSelected()) {</Command>
    <Command>if (trPlayerResourceCount(%PlayerNew%, "%ResName%") >= %Amount%) {</Command>
    <Command>trUnitConvert(%PlayerNew%);</Command>
    <Command>trPlayerGrantResources(%PlayerNew%, "%ResName%", -1*%Amount%);</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    </Effect>

<Effect name="Grant Resources if Unit Owned">
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="$$22301$$Player" varType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ResName" dispName="$$22455$$Resource" varType="resource">food</Param>
    <Param name="Amount" dispName="$$22456$$Amount" varType="long">100</Param>
    <Command loop="" loopParm="SrcObject">trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsOwnedBy(%PlayerID%)) {</Command>
    <Command>trPlayerGrantResources(%PlayerID%, "%ResName%", %Amount%);</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    </Effect>

With this, the player has to select the unit to convert it (rather than moving a unit near it), and you can put all the purchasing effects in one trigger

Trigger - Purchase_Buildings
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [_] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Timer
    Seconds = 1

Effects
    Purchase Unit (Convert) on Selection
    Unit = Building 1
    Unit Player Req = 10 (will only work if unit belongs to this player)
    New Player = 1 (player to convert to, also has to be this player selecting the unit)
    Resource = gold (what resource cost is in)
    Cost = 50 (how much of resource is required)

Unit = Building 2
    New Player = 1 (player to convert to, also has to be this player selecting the unit)

Unit = Building 99

You can also put the income from owned buildings in one trigger

Trigger - Income_from_Buildings
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [_] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Timer
    Seconds = 1

Effects
    Grant Resources if Unit Owned
    Unit = Building 1
    Player = 1
    Resource = Gold
    Amount = 1

Unit = Building 2
    Player = 1
    Resource = Gold
    Amount = 1

Unit = Building 99
    Player = 1
    Resource = Gold
    Amount = 1

Now you just need to convert the building ready for purchase once the fort leader is dead. As I'm sure you've found, it's a simple trigger that you can repeat for each fort.

Trigger - Capture_Fort_1
    [x] Active
    [_] Loop
    [_] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Is Dead
    Unit = Fortress Leader

Effects
    Convert
    Units = Buildings near fort (can select up to 30)
    Player = 10 (player used for purchasable buildings)
    posted 04 July 2012 01:50 PM EDT (US)     655 / 2501  
    Hello again!
    Returning to my post about "Bolt" gp:
    I've activated "player kill all god powers", and it helped. But when i playtested scenario, i've noticed that there is only "Bolt". I mean when player advances to classic age, he still has "Bolt", but not classic gp (Shifting Sands for example). Same with Heroic and Mythic. What trigger must i add or what should i do?
    posted 04 July 2012 02:12 PM EDT (US)     656 / 2501  
    I don't mean to ignore Elrich, but for the moment, perpetual_n00b, are those effects going to have to be created? Or have they been already?

Current Projects:
    Legends of Middle-Earth 5.0 LoME Spring 2021 Update!Legend of Zelda V1.1 Modpackpack Released! Have a nice day.
    posted 04 July 2012 02:17 PM EDT (US)     657 / 2501  
    @Kirion

You need to set a timer of 1 ms before the kill gps effect, because the god powers are loaded a millisecond after the triggers are executed.

I'm gonna update this question thread soon as it needs to be updated.

[This message has been edited by The AoM Expert (edited 07-04-2012 @ 02:19 PM).]

posted 04 July 2012 02:39 PM EDT (US)     658 / 2501  
    The AoM Expert, and how can i set it?
    Alright, i've found:
    Player kill gp - condition - timer ms. I set 1, but still the same bad effect

[This message has been edited by Kirion (edited 07-04-2012 @ 03:02 PM).]

posted 04 July 2012 06:06 PM EDT (US)     659 / 2501  
    Player kill gp - condition - timer ms. I set 1, but still the same bad effect
    Set Priority to 2 (1 quarter) -- you know, the grey bar with a double-pointer.
    I'm gonna update this question thread soon as it needs to be updated.
    Yeah, a few questions should be added here. Do you have the file log or do I need to send it to you ? Tables and links sometimes get broken up upon directly editing.

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
    posted 04 July 2012 08:53 PM EDT (US)     660 / 2501  
    Damn, still nothing. Maybe i'm Slowpoke... I'll show prnt scr and my 2 triggers, maybe am i doing anything wrong?

Trigger - trigger_1
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [x] Run Immediately
    Priority = Normal

Conditions
    Timer ms
    Miliseconds=1

Effects
    Player kill all god powers
    Player = 1

Trigger - trigger_2
    [x] Active
    [x] Loop
    [x] Run Immediately
    Priority = High

Conditions
    Always

Effects
    Grant God Power
    Player = 1
    God power = bolt
    Uses = 1

Result:
    posted 04 July 2012 10:05 PM EDT (US)     661 / 2501  
    you're looping the kill all god powers. it'll continuously kill all god powers.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    posted 04 July 2012 11:04 PM EDT (US)     662 / 2501  
    All you need is a simple Active, Run Immediately, High Priority trigger with a condition Timer MS of 1, and the effect Player Kill All Godpowers. You don't need to loop anything. Just make sure its on active, run immediately, and high priority.

It looks like you want to replace the gp with something else. If you think about it it takes a millisecond for the original gp to disappear so obviously all you have to do is make a longer timer on the 2nd effect for the new god power to appear.

It's basic logic.

[This message has been edited by The AoM Expert (edited 07-04-2012 @ 11:15 PM).]

posted 04 July 2012 11:59 PM EDT (US)     663 / 2501  
    The AoM Expert, in a name of Hades thank you
    Everything works now. I did't guess to set ms timer on "Grant GP" too)
    Sorry for being so slowpoke
    I hope i can study well in this trigger stuff

[This message has been edited by Kirion (edited 07-05-2012 @ 00:02 AM).]

posted 05 July 2012 00:46 AM EDT (US)     664 / 2501  
    You can also put a fire event trigger effect on the first trigger, and have it fire the second one even with a ms of 1 because then the 2nd trigger doesn't happen until the first one does. Just make sure the second one is unactive. This is what the experienced designers do because then all you have to worry about is one trigger (the first one) instead of 2 if you ever wanted to disable it.

So all together you have:

Trigger 1
    [X] Active
    [ ] Loop
    [X] Run Immediately
    Priority: High

Conditions: Timer ms - 1
    Effects: Player Kill All God Powers, Fire Event - Trigger 2

Trigger 2
    [ ] Active
    [ ] Loop
    [X] Run Immediately
    Priority: High

Conditions: Timer ms - 1
    Effects: Grant God Power

[This message has been edited by The AoM Expert (edited 07-05-2012 @ 00:48 AM).]

posted 05 July 2012 06:13 AM EDT (US)     665 / 2501  
    I don't mean to ignore Elrich, but for the moment, perpetual_n00b, are those effects going to have to be created? Or have they been already?
    What do you mean? I included the effects in my post, you just have to add them to your typetest.xml

Here they are again:

<Effect name="Purchase Unit (Convert) on Selection">
    <Param name="PlayerReq" dispName="Unit Player Req" varType="string">2</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerNew" dispName="New Player" varType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ResName" dispName="Resource" varType="resource">food</Param>
    <Param name="Amount" dispName="Cost" varType="long">100</Param>
    <Command>if (trCurrentPlayer() == %PlayerNew%) {</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsOwnedBy(%PlayerReq%)) {</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsSelected()) {</Command>
    <Command>if (trPlayerResourceCount(%PlayerNew%, "%ResName%") >= %Amount%) {</Command>
    <Command>trUnitConvert(%PlayerNew%);</Command>
    <Command>trPlayerGrantResources(%PlayerNew%, "%ResName%", -1*%Amount%);</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    </Effect>

<Effect name="Grant Resources if Unit Owned">
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="$$22301$$Player" varType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="ResName" dispName="$$22455$$Resource" varType="resource">food</Param>
    <Param name="Amount" dispName="$$22456$$Amount" varType="long">100</Param>
    <Command loop="" loopParm="SrcObject">trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>if (trUnitIsOwnedBy(%PlayerID%)) {</Command>
    <Command>trPlayerGrantResources(%PlayerID%, "%ResName%", %Amount%);</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    </Effect>
    I tested them when I made them and they work.

The other conditions/effects from the trigger set ups I posted are standard ones so you have them already.
    posted 06 July 2012 11:15 AM EDT (US)     666 / 2501  
    Oh, I see. I've never messed around too much with effects adding and what not. I'll add it and test it.

-I tested and it works great! Thanks a lot!

Though a problem seems to have arisn.

Units are either invisible or missing parts. I would say it's unrelated but this problem had not occured prior to adding the effects.

Missing units include
    -Pots
    -Mill atop Economic Guild
    -Weapons Missing From Katapeltes, Fanatic, Circe, Einherjar, Contarius, Melagius
    (More)
    -Ships are in some way missing parts
    -Greek Market missings parts.
    (More)

Anyways, do you know how I might fix this at all?

Thanks!

Current Projects:
    Legends of Middle-Earth 5.0 LoME Spring 2021 Update!Legend of Zelda V1.1 Modpackpack Released! Have a nice day.

[This message has been edited by The Elva_Rokk (edited 07-06-2012 @ 12:36 PM).]

posted 06 July 2012 01:03 PM EDT (US)     667 / 2501  
    Sounds like either an issue with your graphics card or perhaps you installed mods that changed the look of the units?

Triggers shouldn't be able to do what you are describing.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    posted 06 July 2012 02:51 PM EDT (US)     668 / 2501  
    I didn't believe that triggers could mess with that, but I cannot draw another conclusion...

I upgraded my graphics processor and stuff only a few months ago, and I haven't recently installed any mods, in fact I haven't since March... Perhaps it's just me, AoM has a history of not cooperating with me.

Current Projects:
    posted 07 July 2012 07:19 AM EDT (US)     669 / 2501  
    Completely irrelevant to Scenario Design but is there a search feature on this forum?
    posted 07 July 2012 10:38 AM EDT (US)     670 / 2501  
    Youbar, you can search sub-forums.

Go to
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design & Discussions
    and look down the bottom beneath the list of topics/threads and you should see search fields for Author and Subject.

[This message has been edited by perpetual_n00b (edited 07-07-2012 @ 10:55 AM).]

posted 13 July 2012 11:49 AM EDT (US)     671 / 2501  
    Hey I'm trying to Install Tower Defense Evolution map/scenario and i have no idea how to get it to work, i have downloaded the Tower Defense Evolution.scx file from the dl page but have no idea where to put it or what to do with it. Please help!
    posted 13 July 2012 05:04 PM EDT (US)     672 / 2501  
    put it into

My Documents/my games/age of mythology/scenario

folder

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    posted 15 July 2012 06:28 AM EDT (US)     673 / 2501  
    Hey guys long time! Well I'm doing army deploy randomly in user defined area and object is relic (army) and I want it that when I am near any relic with my player (army) that the relic disappears when I'm near it and I can put in effects after but I can't do it. I have tried change units in area around army but I think it's bugged effect and I can seem to work out the v triggers too. Need some urgent help if I ever want to continue my new Rpg. Thanks in advance!

|MEMORY|
    posted 15 July 2012 07:17 AM EDT (US)     674 / 2501  
    Trigger - Change_Relics
    Active, Loop

Conditions
    Always

Effects
    v Target Protounit Query Start
    Player = 0
    Radius = -1 (=the entire map)
    Protounit = Relic

v Conditional Units In Area
    Player = 1
    Radius = 2
    Protounit = Your unit (you can also leave it open if you want any unit of player 1 to trigger the effect)
    Operator = >=
    Count = 1

v Change Unit Type
    Protounit = Your choice

Put your other effects here, or use a fire event effect to fire another trigger with effects

v Conditional zEND

v Target Protounit Query End

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    posted 15 July 2012 01:50 PM EDT (US)     675 / 2501  
    Kai email me back when you get the chance. Thanks

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 25 26 27 28 29 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it Here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames