You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
posted 28 November 2005 05:00 PM EDT (US)   
In my efforts to enliven the scenario design community, it seems I've neglected our important modders and AI/RM scripters. So I've done a little housekeeping by getting rid of old, useless sticky threads and, hopefully, by relieving some of the question clutter with this thread.

First of all, if you're new to the forums.... in fact, even if you're not, I encourage you all to read this thread. However, instead of posting your questions in the scenario design thread, I encourage you to post them here.

What's more, I will be somewhat more lax with the question threads in this forum; afterall, questions seem to make up the majority of the activity in this portion of the community. I simply feel that it might be more convenient for the diligent sages who answer the questions, like Argalius, if all the queries were in the same place.

So. Please read the thread, follow the guidelines, and post your questions regarding modding, AI, or RM scripting here. Unless you believe the problem warrants discussion, in which case feel free to make a separate thread for it.

Okay? Fire away.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 11-28-2005 @ 05:02 PM).]

Replies:
posted 21 June 2006 04:22 PM EDT (US)     226 / 2500  
Your read is much clearer to a newcomer, ricorian, so good job with that. But don't forget that the status(es) must be set to "active." By default it's at "unobtainable" so don't forget to change that.

Also, you can leave the anim text files as .txt and just put them in the anim folder, that's fine. I can't remember if that's what they are inside anim(2).bar, they may been .xml's or .xbm's, but no matter, a wordpad/notepad .txt will work just fine.

posted 21 June 2006 07:45 PM EDT (US)     227 / 2500  
Hi,
I am new here and I just got Age of Mythology a couple of weeks ago(4-6). I have a question about the editor, If any of you have played Age of Empires you know that there is a place where you can change the amount of resources,population limit, the type of civilization and the "Age" which one can start from. I know where most of these options are but I just want to now how you can change the age of one civilization from wich they can start from(if there is any such option) in Age of Mythology. For example; I want the worshippers of Isis to start from the Heroic age and the worshippers of Kronos to start from the Classical age. I couldn't find this part of the map editor. I need you peoples help.

Thanks.

posted 21 June 2006 10:45 PM EDT (US)     228 / 2500  
^ Did he post that by mistake?!
posted 22 June 2006 01:13 PM EDT (US)     229 / 2500  
I have a question about the cheezy anim editor. Whenever I try to open it, it says something like the file COMOLG32.OCX or one of its components is missing or corrupted and that the anim editor cannot load. Is this a common error and is there a way around it? What should I do? If I cant get it to work, how do you anim edit without the anim editor?

Also, with gmax, is there some easier way to model edit than moving verticies? Can you create new verticies? It seems really hard because of the way the vertecies are. For example, I want to make a stymphalian bird have a crest on its head and down its back, but whenever I try to move the verticies on top of its head, the just stretch out the face.

EDIT: AGH!!! Something is terribly wrong with GIMP! I see all the icons for selecting brush sizes and gradients and textures and all kinds of stuff but I CANT FIND COLOR SELECTION ANYWHERE!!! Did i install it wrong?

SAVE THE WADJETS
I was on these forums before you were BORN!!!

[This message has been edited by ricorianguardian (edited 06-22-2006 @ 01:32 PM).]

posted 22 June 2006 01:36 PM EDT (US)     230 / 2500  
If you're in doubt with the anim editor, you do it all by hand with notepad only, that's how I do it. It's actually in my opinion a lot faster, of course you can use the anim editor too.

If you don't know what to write, start writing. Same thing with scenario design. If you have know idea yet, start designing.

Projects: Kingdom
posted 22 June 2006 09:03 PM EDT (US)     231 / 2500  
But HOW do I do it with notepad? And why is gimp screwed up???

SAVE THE WADJETS
posted 23 June 2006 06:14 PM EDT (US)     232 / 2500  
I modified an old model into a new model, and the texture doesn't align anymore, how do I fix it without a lot of guess work.
posted 23 June 2006 06:29 PM EDT (US)     233 / 2500  
how do you make your own terrian, forest, water, cliff?

¤)Proud Member of Purple Designs Studios
|AomTT Nickname:LoN_Nidhogg|
Ω| Purple Design Studios |Ω
Ψ| AomTT Nickname:LoN_Nidhogg |Ψ
He who laughs last didn't get it.

[This message has been edited by gangsta4lyfe (edited 06-24-2006 @ 10:03 AM).]

posted 25 June 2006 02:01 AM EDT (US)     234 / 2500  
When using the resource hacker, how am I to add a new number(ex. 3062) to the string table in xpacklanguage.dll?

If you don't know what to write, start writing. Same thing with scenario design. If you have know idea yet, start designing.

Projects: Kingdom
posted 25 June 2006 04:48 PM EDT (US)     235 / 2500  
I've been making some small changes to the stats of naval units to increase their variety between civs, using the article at
http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/modding/depthprotox
as a guide, i can sucessfully edit the files and convert the proto.xml back to xmb, my question is how to recompress all the decompressed files back into the data.bar file.(I'm using aomed for the file conversion etc. )

[This message has been edited by thedeadparrot (edited 06-25-2006 @ 04:50 PM).]

posted 26 June 2006 06:10 AM EDT (US)     236 / 2500  
@thedeadparrot - firstly you do not need to recreate the .bar file after creating a new version of a standard file and sometimes it is wiser not to. The separate files get loaded after the .bar and overwrite the original. If you really want to make a new .bar file incorporatating your mod, the easiest way is to install Ykkrosh's AoMXmod. This has a utility call Barbuilder that converts all files in a folder into a .bar file.

Just remember that if you are rebuilding a standard AoM .bar file, make sure all the files are present or you will lose things.

@gangsta4lyfe - a terrain texture is no different to other tesxtures used in AoM. Create a bitmap with the desired texture and convert it to .ddt (just convert one of the existing terrain .ddt's to get the correct parameters).

You then need to add the new texture into a terraintypes.xmb file. To do this convert it to .xml format and edit it adding your new terrain into the most appropriate existing category (eg. is it passable or impassable land, water, etc.). Reconvert it back to .xmb and it will be available in your terrain palette.

@Beng4499 - welcome to modelling. When changing an imported .brg you are basically limited to moving the existing model around. Any attempt to add or delete verts usually results in texture alignment going out of whack.

The ways I have found to sometimes fix this problem are either:

a) select the model and "delete isolated verts" on the lower right hand options panel for modifying meshes, and try exporting/converting it again; or

b) reimport the original .brg; merge in the model you created and reapply the texture. Sometimes you inadvertantly drag one of the texture components onto part of the model rather than whole texture (e.g. most AoM models use multiple textures but only one UVW map)and this can mess up the mapping.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Caines (edited 06-26-2006 @ 06:27 AM).]

posted 26 June 2006 05:56 PM EDT (US)     237 / 2500  
Well then, another question.... I am always confused by the (probably the most simplest) Condition, Units in Area........ I just need a simple layout of how it works. I can't believe I've had this for at least 3 years, and I still don't know how to use this one...lol. Well anyway, just help me with this, and I am telling you this isn't the last question I have, lol. Ty

Shark_M0n

EDIT: forgot to add, i havent figured out how to make the 1000x1000 map using reykk's editor. Could you help me with that too?

JerztheBearz in AIM, Shark_M0n_7 in AOMTT(internet), and more.

[This message has been edited by Shark_M0n_9 (edited 06-26-2006 @ 09:03 PM).]

posted 26 June 2006 08:25 PM EDT (US)     238 / 2500  
Thanks for the info Stephen Caines. I also found that for some things, you can just drag unwanted pieces of the model down so low that they won't show in game. I'll try your methods too.
posted 27 June 2006 03:20 AM EDT (US)     239 / 2500  
@ Shark_M0n_9

Condition, Units in Area ( probably the most simplest... ):
Actually, I don't think it is. It's probably one of the trickiest one since... I failed almost anytime I used it... because it looks easy and then, I always forgot about... thinking that this is NOT the " distance to unit or point " condition!
The problem is here: <, >, <=,>=, =: these signs within this very " Units in Area " condition have something to do with the count of the units, not the distance!
If you want something happening when 3 Arkantos ( player 1 ) meet with Reginleif ( player 2 ):
Center: select Reginleif, click Center Unit and check with Show
Player: 1
Unit: Unit ( I suppose you could type Arkantos if you want only Arkantos units being able to launch the attached effect? )
Radius: 6
Operator: >= ( !!! Meaning as soon as 3 or more " player 1 " units are entering a circle of radius 6 around Reginleif, something happens. Again, nothing to do with the distance. )
Count: 3

Be extremely careful with that one, it's a snicky one. It got me a couple of times pretty bad, as it looks a little too sweet...
Beside, I don't think anything could ever happened between Arkantos and Reginleif, since that guy obviously lacks something very needed to interest this kind of lady. So it was probably not the best example... but the only one I could come up with today!

posted 27 June 2006 07:47 AM EDT (US)     240 / 2500  
I agree with JML that "Units in Area" is tricky, but I also think that this is because it was mainly used as a trigger for known events (if charactar A is here do this).

The Trigger code states:

<Condition name="$$22299$$Units in Area">
<Param name="DstObject" dispName="$$22300$$Center Unit" VarType="unit">default</Param>
<Param name="Player" dispName="$$22301$$Player" VarType="player">1</Param>
<Param name="UnitType" dispName="$$22302$$Unit Type" VarType="string">Unit</Param>
<Param name="Dist" dispName="$$22303$$Radius" VarType="float">10</Param>
<Param name="Op" dispName="$$22297$$Operator" VarType="operator">==</Param>
<Param name="Count" dispName="$$22304$$Count" VarType="float">1</Param>
<Expression>trCountUnitsInArea("%DstObject%",%Player%,­"%UnitType%",%Dist%) %Op% %Count%</Expression>
</Condition>

The first parameter is IMHO the problem as I am not sure why DstObject is a unit (VarType="unit") rather than an area (varType="area").

All the other triggers based on area would state a varType="area" and then send a varType="unit" to it.

So my guess is that "units in area" just got developed as "unit near other unit", but the original name stuck.

Would appreciate any enlightment that is on offer.

posted 28 June 2006 02:00 PM EDT (US)     241 / 2500  
What is the easiest way to make new units and new building?
posted 28 June 2006 04:08 PM EDT (US)     242 / 2500  
how do you make music for a campain,is there any programs that can help?

¤)Proud Member of Purple Designs Studios
|AomTT Nickname:LoN_Nidhogg|
Ω| Purple Design Studios |Ω
Ψ| AomTT Nickname:LoN_Nidhogg |Ψ
He who laughs last didn't get it.

[This message has been edited by gangsta4lyfe (edited 06-28-2006 @ 06:30 PM).]

posted 28 June 2006 09:18 PM EDT (US)     243 / 2500  
Stephen Caines your post was very confusing to me and made my head hurt. Modding, when it gets really advanced, is really confusing.

How DOES modding triggers work even? And why would you need to mod triggers? There are so many that it would seem that you could do whatever you wanted without any fancy modding needed. I dont really want to mod triggers, I'm just wondering how this works.

And how do you change how a 3d file "reads" or "puts on" a unit map? Again, I don't really want to I'm just wondering.

And with my download of gimp, the color pannel is missing and I really can't do anything. What's wrong here and why is my gimp so messed up?

EDIT: Gimp is working other questions still unanswered.

SAVE THE WADJETS

[This message has been edited by ricorianguardian (edited 06-30-2006 @ 09:51 PM).]

posted 30 June 2006 07:24 AM EDT (US)     244 / 2500  
anyone here want my julius ceaser mod before it comes out if so email
me at adam@skcl.demon.co.uk with your email adress and i will send it
posted 01 July 2006 10:14 AM EDT (US)     245 / 2500  
I didn't have this question in the above post-

The cheezy anim editor isnt working at all. Whenever I try to open it, an error message pops up saying:

"Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Is this a common error with this program? What should I do to fix it? I will try to re-install it, but I doubt that will work...

EDIT: Re-installing didn't work. STill shows the error message and closes.

SAVE THE WADJETS

[This message has been edited by ricorianguardian (edited 07-01-2006 @ 10:26 AM).]

posted 03 July 2006 10:31 PM EDT (US)     246 / 2500  
@ricorianguardian - sorry about the sore head! Like most programming AoME builds upon layers of more and more sophisticated modules, but as a result a lot of the options available in things (like the Editor) are quite specific and if you want to make a trigger do something slightly different, you need to mod the underlying code.

Basically, modders are just a bunch of really fussy people who are happy to spend hours changing something that most normal people wouldn't notice or think twice about.

@ gangsta4lyfe - AoME just uses normal .wav or .mp3 files for its sound. To include them in the game you can either call the soundfile directly using the trigger editor or edit the playlist.xml/.xmb file to set them up for different cultures/moods.

[This message has been edited by Stephen Caines (edited 07-03-2006 @ 10:35 PM).]

posted 04 July 2006 11:20 AM EDT (US)     247 / 2500  
I am having a really bad problem. I have edited protox succesfully before. I was going over the adding new units stuff while following Stephen Caines' guide, and I learned what most of the non-self-explanitory params and actions and whatnot do. But now, no matter what I do, the unit is not placeable in the editor! I know that it will not show up because of the abscence of an anim file, but it should be placable, right? The unit's name is the firebird. It should appear in the editor place objects box with the name ***firebird and be at the top, right? I added a new line to the language.dll file at the end and made that the displayedname number of the firebird. The dbid number is the right one, I know. It seems like I have done everything right, and I saved it in the data folder correctly and converted it right, and everything looks fine to me except that it isnt recognized by the game. What went wrong?

Here's the last protox entry, the firebird, the new unit I'm having trouble with:

<unit id="801" name="Firebird">
<dbid>2848</dbid>
<displaynameid>48970</displaynameid>
<icon>special x firebird icons 32</icon>
<initialhitpoints>300.0000</initialhitpoints>
<maxhitpoints>300.0000</maxhitpoints>
<los>22.0000</los>
<portraiticon>special x firebird icons 64</portraiticon>
<obstructionradiusx>0.9900</obstructionradiusx>
<obstructionradiusz>0.9900</obstructionradiusz>
<soundvariant>Pierce</soundvariant>
<formationcategory>Mobile</formationcategory>
<maxvelocity>4.6000</maxvelocity>
<movementtype>air</movementtype>
<turnrate>13.5000</turnrate>
<projectileprotounit>Ball of Fire</projectileprotounit>
<unitaitype>RangedCombative</unitaitype>
<populationcount>4</populationcount>
<trainpoints>12.0000</trainpoints>
<allowedage>3</allowedage>
<cost resourcetype="Wood">200.0000</cost>
<cost resourcetype="Gold">100.0000</cost>
<cost resourcetype="Food">100.0000</cost>
<cost resourcetype="Favor">25.0000</cost>
<bountyfactor resourcetype="Favor">0.0000</bountyfactor>
<rollovertextid>23150</rollovertextid>
<rolloveruseagainstid>23152</rolloveruseagainstid>
<rollovercounterwithid>23153</rollovercounterwithid>
<rolloverupgradeatid>23154</rolloverupgradeatid>
<armor damagetype="Hack" percentflag="1">0.15</armor>
<armor damagetype="Pierce" percentflag="1">0.30</armor>
<armor damagetype="Crush" percentflag="1">0.80</armor>
<unittype>LogicalTypeSuperPredatorsAutoAttack</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeCanBeHealed</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeAffectedByRestoration</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeAffectedByVortex</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeValidTraitorsTarget</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeMilitaryUnitsAndBuildings</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeTornadoAttack</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeSuperPredatorsAttack</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeMummyMinionTarget</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypePerseusCanStone</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeValidBoltTarget</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeFimbulWinterTCEvalType</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeValidSpyTarget</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeValidShiftingSandsTarget</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeMythUnitNotTitan</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeNeededForVictory</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeFavoriteMythUnit</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeCanBeStoned</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeLandMilitary</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeAffectedByChaos</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeValidSPCUnitsDeadCondition</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeAffectedByHealingSpring</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeUnitsNotBuildings</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeRangedUnitsAutoAttack</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeRangedUnitsAttack</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeTartarianGateValidOverlapPlacement</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeMinimapFilterMilitary</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeAffectedByHeroize</unittype>
<unittype>LogicalTypeIdleMilitary</unittype>
<unittype>Unit</unittype>
<unittype>UnitClass</unittype>
<unittype>Military</unittype>
<unittype>MythUnit</unittype>
<unittype>FlyingUnit</unittype>
<flag>ObscuredByUnits</flag>
<flag>FlyingUnit</flag>
<flag>NoTieToGround</flag>
<flag>CollidesWithProjectiles</flag>
<flag>DontRotateObstruction</flag>
<flag>NoBloodOnDeath</flag>
<flag>ShowGarrisonButton</flag>
<flag>ApplyHandicapTraining</flag>
<flag>NonCollideable</flag>
<flag>Tracked</flag>
<action name="RangedAttack">
<param name="MaximumRange" value1="16"></param>
<param name="Rate" type="All" value1="1.0"></param>
<param name="SpreadFactor" value1="0.30"></param>
<param name="TrackRating" value1="5.0"></param>
<param name="UnintentionalDamageMultiplier" value1="0.3"></param>
<param name="MaxSpread" value1="5.0"></param>
<param name="Accuracy" value1="0.8"></param>
<param name="AccuracyReductionFactor" value1="3"></param>
<param name="AimBonus" value1="15"></param>
<param name="AttackAction"></param>
<param name="Damage" type="Pierce" value1="16"></param>
<param name="Damage" type="Crush" value1="7"></param>
<param name="DamageBonus" type="Hero" value1="0.25"></param>
<param name="DamageBonus" type="MythUnit" value1="3"></param>
<param name="MaxHeight" value1="0.0"></param>
<param name="NumberProjectiles" value1="3"></param>
</action>
<action name="Regenerate">
<param name="Persistent"></param>
<param name="Rate" type="All" value1="0"></param>
</action>
</unit>

The formating here may be a little off (Tabs, enters, etc.) but in the file the tabs and spacing and all is fine. And yes, the file does end in

</proto>

EDIT: I KNOW that I am saving my proto edit in the right place and stuff because I deleted Achilles' file and he didn't show up as a placable object in the editor. So it must be a problem with the above proto entry.

SAVE THE WADJETS

[This message has been edited by ricorianguardian (edited 07-04-2006 @ 04:00 PM).]

posted 04 July 2006 12:04 PM EDT (US)     248 / 2500  
How can I lunch the ttWaterFix AI???
When I lunch him in the game he gives the error!!!
posted 04 July 2006 01:17 PM EDT (US)     249 / 2500  
In random map scripting, what the trigger code for MODIFY PROTOUNIT and CHANGE UNITS IN AREA!

I am making sort of pit of doom random map. All I have been able to use that is useful on the game is set tech status, grant god power, kill all god powers, sound filename.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 04 July 2006 09:18 PM EDT (US)     250 / 2500  
@recorianguardian
If you added the units name to the language.dll file, its name will not appear in the beginning as ***Firebird, it will be in the F's as Firebird, even in the editor. Because it has a language.dll file, the game actually recognizes its name, and alphabetizes it just like all of the in games units. That just might be your problem.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Have a Question? Post it Here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: