Updated Gorge sketch

Links to other Emerald Enclave thread:
Information and History
House Rules
Character Thread

website -Feats
link-Pathfinder open source
link- 3.5 rules

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me
Into darkness, into night, amongst the shadows we shall fight!
-/X\( ++ ) /X\-L.E.D.- Hand of Malice-/X\( ++ ) /X\-

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 02-19-2012 @ 05:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-27-11 09:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 998  
edit

People follow the light, blinded by just cause, but what has the light brought them? It has only caused me pain, while the darkness embraced me and kept me deep within its shadows away from my pursuers and made them suffer for their crimes against me

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 07-31-2011 @ 03:25 PM).]

posted 07-28-11 09:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 998  
I would love a summary of your plot. This is going to be Pathfinder, right?

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 07-28-11 05:28 PM EDT (US)     3 / 998  
I put alittle of The summary in the OOC: thread of red hand of doom post #463. I started this thread but messed up the title...... LOL....I've asked chowguy to fix it if he can or tell me how I can fix it if it is possible,but he has not responded as yet. If he doesn't say something soon about it I'll just start another OOC: thread with the Title fixed on it and we'll use it instead of this one. I plan on starting the character thread tonight.I will put what I have together so far in the opening of it. I will be using Affiliations also in the game for those who want to have an affiliation with a certain group(affiliations are in the players hand book II..in the back).

posted 07-29-11 00:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 998  
Good news everyone!

I'M BACK!!! And I'm here to crash a party.
posted 07-29-11 06:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 998  
Hey Tim. Think you'll be joining in? It'd always be good to have another player.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 07-29-11 06:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 998  
Great to see ya Tim. Ian may be able to get you those books some how through Email. I'm not sure but you'll have to ask him. It doesn't look like Chowguy is responding to my requesting him to fix the title so I might just start another OOC: thread (without the screw ups lol)

Hey the characters are looking really good,

Warlord Thokk

Map of Turmish

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 07-30-2011 @ 03:57 AM).]

posted 07-30-11 00:07 AM EDT (US)     7 / 998  
Yeah, I think I will be joining in. I've quit playing WoW which was taking up most of the time I spend doing this. I have some other things to do now too, but I'm not going to get too over my head again. I tend to get into something, go crazy on it, then get burnt out. I want to ensure that doesn't happen this time. Ok, going back to reading "Game of Thrones". Pretty good so far.
posted 07-30-11 11:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 998  
I have been looking a fair bit at the Pathfinder rule and on the characters created so far and I have a few questions:

Is anyone aware that in Pathfinder level adjustment equals challenge rating (CR) when creating monster PCs? And that racial HD is added on top of class levels after the number of class levels has been set by subtracting ECL by CR (ECL=class levels + CR ignoring racial HD, while HD = ECL – CR + Racial HD)?

This makes a monster PC a good deal stronger than in D&D, as they usually get more class levels than in D&D and often ends with up with more HD than their ECL. The lizardfolk (CR 1) ranger I am going to create, will for example get 6 levels of ranger and will also have 2 lizardfolk HD, giving him an overall HD of 8 even though he is only ECL 7
According to the pathfinder rules BNC’s character should also have 6 levels of paladin rather than the 3 she gets in D&D…

The question is of course if monster PCs are too strong in pathfinder?

That will be up to our DM to decide but a few things are worth to considering:
-The base races have been made stronger in Pathfinder
-Monster PCs is often somewhat weak in D&D (although there are exceptions)
-You get no favored class points for racial HD

My recommendation is that we generally try to follow the pathfinder rules, but that templates like half-celestial are considered +1 CR (or even +2 CR) higher than normal when creating PCs, because a level 6 half-celestial paladin are clearly a good deal more powerful than a level 7 human paladin.

What can we use from D&D? As far as I can see, Tyberius Blackstone is using both some feats and some magic items that are not in pathfinder.

Could I use a prestige class from D&D for my second character (if I make one)?

Can my character(s) be affiliated with the Emerald Enclave or will that create problems for storyline?

Kris Lighthawk
Creator of Lighthawk's mod
posted 07-30-11 12:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 998  
I didn't realize that stuff about the Pathfinder rules. If you want to make a monster character that has a level adjustments, use the 3.5 rules. Thanks for noticing that.

Another thing. If you want to move a magic item from one slot to another, for the past 10-15 years magic has been flying around so much that that's no problem. For example moving the bracers of armor to vestments of armor is fine and it won't cost any more.

If you want to use something from 3.5, you can do so. Also, you can use the 3.5 rules or the Pathfinder rules for the feat Cleave and Great Cleave, but indicate which on your character sheet. I'm going to start a house rules thread and we'll discuss this further. But I agree with what you've said so far. I think it's fine if you want to use any 3.5 prestige classes or feats.

No, you cannot "start" as a member of the Emerald Enclave. You must become a caretaker during the game

posted 07-30-11 04:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 998  
*fixed title*

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
posted 07-30-11 09:01 PM EDT (US)     11 / 998  
well crap I can't decide, I'm thinking about using a 2handed sword so I can have 2 more feats,but I have fallen in love with a reach weapon because I'm enjoying the 10ft reach. But It's costing me 2 precious feats to use the reach weapon. A quandary. I didn't know what weapon Kris was going to decide on for his character, The Lizard man I mean(if he builds a Lizard man). For that matter We'll have least a couple more playing and they might want to use a 2handed sword

I think we might be starting in 2 different places.

so if you want to post in the IC: thread just post indicating you have managed to make it to

"Assam" on the west side of Orsraun MT's or "Alaghon" on the coast of the sea of the fallen stars in Turmish.

I need to get a link to those cities and the info about them in the IC thread but haven't had the time to look for the info on line. I may have to try to scan the info from my book into my pc,then get it to the thread(lol..hopefully I'll be able to accomplish it) but I don't know if that will look good(readable) I actually I'd like to a link for all the cities in the area. the one city i can't find any info on is "Xorhun" in southern Turmish

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 07-30-2011 @ 09:15 PM).]

posted 07-30-11 09:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 998  
Thanks, ChowGuy. I had assured Accusync that you were capable of changing it, but he was starting to doubt. Glad to know you're still looking in on us.

Eros Estot in the Giant Trilogy, the DM and Kaiden in Red Hand of Doom, and Seraph in Staff of the Emerald Enclave.

I'm happy to play any d20 game you can throw at me, and have tried most of them.
posted 07-30-11 09:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 998  
Ian, I edited my post before yours I hope others will see it.I've decided where we'll start you have a choice. and thats one thing i forgot to get done. when i was over today. I wanted to get the cities info posted in the IC. thread,and thought you may know of an easy and quick way to do it. It'd be neat if i could have links with just the name of the city showing.

posted 07-30-11 09:25 PM EDT (US)     14 / 998  
I haven’t decided yet, Pathfinder has some very nice options for combat styles, so I haven’t decided if my lizard is going to be a 2-hander, a 2-weapon or a one-hand-and-shield guy…
You could always try a greataxe for fun, you will do less criticals, but when you do they will be really spectacular!

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 07-30-2011 @ 09:25 PM).]

posted 07-31-11 03:23 PM EDT (US)     15 / 998  
which book has the info on creating player characters from monsters?
Because I'm still not quite understanding this:
Is anyone aware that in Pathfinder level adjustment equals challenge rating (CR) when creating monster PCs? And that racial HD is added on top of class levels after the number of class levels has been set by subtracting ECL by CR (ECL=class levels + CR ignoring racial HD, while HD = ECL – CR + Racial HD)?
Did you mean to say "adding" instead of "Subtracting"??

And Ian where is the Template for half-Angel you r using?in 3.5?? I need to understand why BNC's character should have another lvl??

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 07-31-2011 @ 03:50 PM).]

posted 07-31-11 05:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 998  
Hi, I'm Wayne's friend from the ol' (D & D)college days, and I'd like to join you guys. I don't have any of the books and havn't played in years but if you guys could use a half-elf i'm ready to play (with a little help)
posted 07-31-11 05:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 998  
Welcome, Barack. Unfortunately, Pathfinder rules aren't open-source at this point. I can try to get the core rulebook compressed enough to send it over email, but otherwise the best we can do is get you up-to-date on D&D 3.5, which is close enough to Pathfinder that you could at least start thinking about what class you want to play.

D&D 3.5 is open source, and you can find an SRD here. Alternatively, you could let us know what kind of character you want to play and one of us could write one up for you, and all you would have to know is enough to play the game.

Again, welcome aboard.

posted 07-31-11 05:58 PM EDT (US)     18 / 998  
Thank you for the welcome One Elf. and the link which I will start reading asap. I'd like my character to be Half-elf, and any help building my character would be greatly appreciated. Oh! and how do you establish a pic beside your name?

"There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them."

[This message has been edited by Barack halfhand (edited 07-31-2011 @ 06:00 PM).]

posted 07-31-11 06:28 PM EDT (US)     19 / 998  
To edit your avatar (that little pic), go to "my account" at the top, put in your password, then in your profile go to where it says "Setup Gravatar with your account email address". That should take you the rest of the way--you'll just need to make sure that your pic follows the size guidelines and stuff.

posted 08-01-11 03:44 AM EDT (US)     20 / 998  
Welcome, Barack. Unfortunately, Pathfinder rules aren't open-source at this point
Yes welcome Barack, fortunately that one Elf is wrong about pathfinder not being open-source as this link clearly proves…

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-01-11 04:31 AM EDT (US)     21 / 998  
which book has the info on creating player characters from monsters?
I don’t know as I don’t actually have any of the books but have just been using the online rules…
This is a direct link to where I found those rules.
They are not very well explained there either, and obviously not very well made as they will easily create very overpowered monster characters.
And Ian where is the Template for half-Angel you r using?in 3.5??
You can find it here
The template is very similar to the one in D&D, but there are a few differences.
I need to understand why BNC's character should have another lvl??
I was simply arguing that with core races stronger than in D&D all monster races should also be stronger than in D&D. BNC's character is pretty strong already, but I am pretty sure it would loose in a duel with your character or the character am going to make…

Speaking about your character are you aware that you could easily raise his AC at very little cost?

Edit:
I was simply arguing that with core races stronger than in D&D all monster races should also be stronger than in D&D
I suddenly realized that this argument don’t hold for templates as they are build upon the core races and therefore get the same benefits over the similar races in D&D….

Kris Lighthawk

[This message has been edited by Kris Lighthawk (edited 08-01-2011 @ 05:16 AM).]

posted 08-01-11 09:47 AM EDT (US)     22 / 998  
Well, that one elf twisted my arm, and after much convincing and conniving, made me decide to change my character. Pretty much because Inara is too strong and complicated for the DM. I wanted to cut the DM a break too...the character would be simpler around the table where people could actually see where I was (with flight and all) and where I would keep track of my HP and damage reduction and all.

So as much as I still love Inara, I will switch to another character who will hopefully be just as interesting, but simpler for everyone on a play-by-post setting. I have him pretty much finished...he's a centaur fighter who wields a lance.

"'I quite agree with you,' said the Duchess; `and the moral of that is--"Be what you would seem to be"--or if you'd like it put more simply--"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."'"' --the Duchess from Alice in Wonderland
posted 08-01-11 05:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 998  
I'd like to think I wasn't "conniving", but I do very much think the centaur will be easier for both you and the DM to run in a play-by-post environment. Plus, the centaur character we came up with is pretty cool, and he'll do incredible damage on a charge.

Nice find on the Pathfinder SRD, Kris! I hadn't realized that one existed. Allow me to amend my earlier statement, Barack. Looks like you can skip the whole 3.5 thing and jump straight to Pathfinder.

posted 08-01-11 08:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 998  
LOL..I sorry he did that BNC,when Ian told me you were changing your toon I tried to tell him that it would be ok that you keep your character. In fact the Paladin would 'Really' he a big help later on. But if you want to change to something else go ahead,but make a character you want to be.I wouldn't try to give the DM. a break, For I'm sure we'll figure it all out when the time comes. Now..yes I may ask a few more questions, but I will try to read up on everyone's characters so I kinda know alittle bit of what to expect.

I don't think it will be that Complicated to DM.?? When your paladin does something, all you need to do is post the abilities and special moves and all explaining why he/she is able to do what he/she is doing.Like when I use power attack....I wright it in my post so the DM. will know that I'm able to get extra damage. it's that simple. And I'm sure if somethings isn't quite right,one of us will point it out and people can change posts,goodness knows we've done that in the past..lol.,no biggie. I'll try not to, but I'm sure I will miss some things as all the DM's have every now and again.

When I build a character I really don't look to compare it with everyone else's character's(sure that may happen when you look at the other characters).But I get an idea of what I would like my character to be able to do that's pretty neat,and then I try to build it in that direction.I know you all are going to build some pretty sweet toons. but I wanted to be able to 'move' around with Tyberius and I wanted the reach. My quandary is do I give up 2 feats in order to have a good reach weapon,or just use a 2 hander and be able to have 2 more feats.

Do you think we could separate "monster player characters"
and "Template'd characters"?as far as rules go anyway.

From Kris:
Speaking about your character are you aware that you could easily raise his AC at very little cost?
yes I know I haven't spent all my money,and I have a few reasons why. but tell me what ideas you had.

posted 08-02-11 01:41 AM EDT (US)     25 / 998  
I'm interested in joining this, but I'd... like to know more about the plot ("activity"? By whom?). A couple of questions come up:

(1) If it's all right, I would like to consider playing two characters of markedly different classes (rogue and druid).

(2) What are we assuming as far as the alignments of races (in particular, humans) go?

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 08-02-11 08:54 AM EDT (US)     26 / 998  
Well, what he pointed out was less along the lines of powers and more along the lines of things like flying, damage reduction, and spell resistance. Since you keep track of our HP on a play-by-post system, you would always have to keep in mind my damage reduction and spell resistances. And since I'm flying, it would be more complicated for everyone to know where I am on a flat map. When I'm playing on the table, I just put a die beneath me to indicate my character is flying and how many squares up he or she is, but on a flat painted map, you can't really do that. I mean, I guess there could be a mark on the map that indicated that. But it's more complicated.

I guess it's up to you. I'm perfectly willing to play my centaur fighter. Inara is a complicated character on your end. I would do what I could to help you (like put how many squares up in the air I am at the end of each of my posts), but there would only be so much I could do.

posted 08-02-11 10:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 998  
Great Beren, yes a rogue and Druid would be perfect(the Emerald Enclave is going to play a part in the story,not to give to much away but some powerful items that have gone missing for a long time may have resurfaced in the area,and there a people who want them).

in pathfinder things are alot more powerful so I'm hoping you can get/find the pathfinder books.I think maybe Lighthawk has put a link to them in one of these threads. I can't remember which. I've been really busy here the last few days at work(which is a good thing) and I haven't been able to spend much time on the threads.

I'm leaving Alignment up to each individual. WE will be dealing with most all the alignments.Tyberius is neutral

also I haven't said anything yet, but for buying and selling I'm thinking about starting the vendors at 10% below cost for buying stuff from us and 10% above cost for selling items to us.Every time you are able to move their attitude toward you to a better point will be a 5% move in the right direction. I will need to read alittle more about Diplomacy and all and the %'s may start different. And I know Kris and Ian will be able to give me some good advice on this. Each town will be different of course, but we will have the money to get some things we want,I'm planing on it anyway. And your rouge will help along those lines as the "Fire Knives" guild will also be heavily involved but I'm giving too much away now
I guess it's up to you. I'm perfectly willing to play my centaur fighter
That will fit in well BNC

[This message has been edited by Accusync72 (edited 08-02-2011 @ 10:07 PM).]

posted 08-03-11 01:51 AM EDT (US)     28 / 998  
All right, I don't know anything about either the Emerald Enclave or the Fire Knives apart from what I can guess from the names (the Enclave is obviously magical and secretive, either arcane or druidic, while the Knives sound like cult assassins). So I'll tell you a little bit about my characters.

Galadarien (Sindarin Elvish for "light of the sun") is a member of the druidic council for her clan and, while not the eldest (she may be now, if she's 7th level, but we'll discuss that later), she is respected as being an insightful, capable member and adept at problem-solving and trouble-shooting in novel, creative ways, using a combination of druidic magic and ordinary craftiness. She generally has a "live-and-let-live" attitude toward most societies which has also made her something of a diplomat as well, negotiating based on ideas of what people want rather than what they perceive (e.g. "what could you want from our forest that you could get by conquest?"). Generally, she's her council's go-to woman when it comes to solving out-of-the-ordinary problems.

Anestel ("gift of hope") is Galadarien's husband and favored partner when it comes to adventure, and the council's other go-to person for creative problem solving, although in a fashion of more mundane trickery rather than magic for obvious reasons. Similarly, Anestel has a reuptuation for being the brains behind a thieving job when something needs to be stolen or somebody needs to be assassinated, as well as having a particularly excellent understanding of humanoid anatomy and is good at doing the job as well (he claims to have gotten his anatomical knowledge by studying his wife).

Together, Anestel and Galadarien are highly valued and even loved by their community and the rest of their clan.

I'm not sure how typical of a small elven clan Anestel and Galadarien's people would be. They understand that nature is more than just forests and live both inside and outside of the small forest grove where they hold as their community center. Their leadership, while druidic, is also fairly rational.

Anestel and Galadarien might have children, given their levels (I originally developed them to be level 1-3). Said children should presumably be grown up enough that they don't need their biological parents on hand at all times (plus, their clan is going to be of the sort that believes that it takes a village to raise a child).

Anestel is fairly close to your fairly standard Pathfinder rogue, given that in Pathfinder rogues get some nice rangerish abilities like Survival (I also like your Skirmish feat, which is really good for Anestel). Galadarien might like another house rule or two, the #1 of these being that I would like to swap her Wild Shape ability for something else, preferably athletic in nature (I seem to recall there is an ability that gives her Fast Movement and a couple of other things). I'd also like Galadarien's version of Call Lightning to work more like its 3.0 counterpart (very powerful but situation-specific, instead of generally applicable but severely nerfed). I'd also like Galadarien's version of Tree Shape and similar spells to work differently with different sorts of trees (actually favoring conifers, instead of begrudgingly using them).

My question on alignment is somewhat moot now if I'm playing A&G, because they're elves, but it basically was this: in some settings (e.g. AoW), alignment is largely biological in nature, and while teaching and personal experience can change it, it is extremely rare to have an entire society whose citizens have an average alignment radically different from the norm. So, for example, a human king might be of any alignment, but most of his subjects are going to be neutral, because they're human, and a human child raised by good elven parents is still as or more likely to be neutral than good.

The alternative scenario is that alignment is almost entirely cultural, and it really is possible to teach your children to have a certain alignment. In this scenario, races tend to have certain alignments because of their cultural histories, and human societies tend to be all over the map alignment-wise because their cultures are so varied.

This varies a whole lot in terms of elf-human political relations, which is part of why I still ask: elves by necessity of their long life-cycles tend to think on timescales that humans just don't, and an elven society is going to by nature be much more aloof toward a human society even if the humans are good-aligned (now) if they are likely to stop being good later. More importantly, it also strongly affects the sort of character I could conceivably play.

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign

[This message has been edited by Beren V (edited 08-03-2011 @ 01:51 AM).]

posted 08-03-11 07:00 AM EDT (US)     29 / 998  
Here is some background info that may help Beren and anyone that don’t have the Forgotten Realms campaign setting

Emerald Enclave
Based on the island of Ilighon off the Vilhon Reach, the Emerald Enclave is an organisation of druids and other people who protect the natural resources of the Vilhon Reach and nearby lands. The members of the Enclave, known as the Caretakers, eschew good and evil to focus on the needs of the natural world and resist the encroachment of mankind. Founded in the Year of the Thoughtful Man (374 DR), the actions of the Enclave have influenced the lives of the high and the low.
The Enclave is organised into a hierarchy of circles, each with a different responsibility.
The three members of the Elder Circle are the Chosen of Eldath, Mielikki, and Silvanus.
The group accepts new members as long as they do not serve good or evil, are not members of another organization (except the churches of the aforementioned deities), are innocent of any crimes against nature, and have performed a significant act that benefits nature in the Vilhon Reach.
The tenets of the Caretakers are sixfold: preserve nature in all its forms, control human expansion, recognize that nature encompasses more than just forests, agree that magic should not be used for
mass destruction, warn against the use of magic on a grand scale for fear of unexpected side effects, and present a united front to the outside world. Most members worship Eldath, Mielikki, or Silvanus, and all wear some sort of green symbol. They travel often, searching for threats to the natural resources in the Reach and potential allies in other lands.
While the Emerald Enclave's primary goal is to preserve nature, its members are not direct opponents of progress. They prefer to work with civilized folk to promote the health of the natural world rather than using acts of violence to deter it. The druids have been known to allow woodcutters to work in areas of forests that need culling, although they still oppose indiscriminate logging.
Recently the Enclave has started splinter cells in other areas that they believe may become threatened, such as the High Forest, Cormanthor, the Wealdath, and the forests of the Great Dale. These cells are small, often consisting of only one or two people, but they keep a close eye on organizations dangerous to their aims, such as the church of Tales or the People of the Black Blood

The Vilhon Reach
Capital: None
Population: 5,505,840 (humans 95%, dwarves 2%, elves 1%, lizardfolk
1%)
Government: Various kingdoms and independent city-states
Religions: Eldath, Helm, Lliira, Malar, Nobanion, Silvanus, Talos,
Tempus, Tyr
Imports: Metal
Exports: Fish, horses, slaves, stone, wine
Alignments: N, LN, LG

This region shares its name with the body of water called the Vilhon Reach, a long southern arm of the Sea of Fallen Stars. The region encompasses much of the southern shore of the Sea of Fallen Stars, from the mouth of the Reach west and north to the mouth of the Wet River, and south to the Golden Plains. It is a fertile, rich land divided up into quarreling city-states and petty nations. For all its unrest, the Vilhon remains vital to the whole of Faerun: It forms the trade link between the Lake of Steam, the Shaar, and the rest of the world through its ports on the Sea of Fallen Stars.
With the subtropical and humid weather of the Vilhon Reach, winter temperatures rarely reach the freezing point, snowfalls are rare, and heavy winter rains are common. Spring arrives early, and
summer comes hard on its heels with scorching temperatures and oppressive humidity. Autumn brings cooler weather and lower humidity, but an autumn day in the Vilhon can be as warm as high
summer in more northerly regions.
The three important nations of the Reach are Chondath, Sespech, and Turmish. In addition, a large number of independent city-states and minor local authorities occupy the region.

LIFE AND SOCIETY
Most sages recognize the Vilhon Reach as the cradle from which waves of humans spread forth to conquer and inhabit Faerun. Something of this adventuresome spirit is still present in the Reach; many of the locals leave their homeland to seek their fortunes as mercenaries.
The folk of the Vilhon Reach tend to welcome visitors as bearers of news or potential trading partners.
Spellcasters are well advised to keep a low profile in the Reach, where mages have a reputation for capricious use of power. The folk of the Reach have no patience for displays of flashy magic, nor any tolerance for those who use their spells carelessly.
For such a civilized and sophisticated populace, the folk of the Vilhon Reach show a remarkable respect for nature. This is partly due to the history of the area, which is marked by plagues and volcanic eruptions, and partially due to the influence of the Emerald Enclave. This druidic organization, founded in 374 DR and headquartered on the island of Ilighon at the mouth of the Vilhon Reach, strives to hold human civilized development to a pace that nature can endure.

Turmish
Capital: Alaghon
Population: 1,693,440 (humans 78%, dwarves 9%, halflings 5%,
elves 3%, gnomes 2%, half-elves 1%, half-orcs 1%)
Government: Republic
Religions: Chauntea, Eldath, Helm, Lliira, Loviatar, Nobanion,
Silvanus, Selune, Tempus, Tyr
Imports: Luxury goods, metal
Exports: Glass, grain, lumber, mercenaries, salt
Alignments: N, LN, LG

Turmish lies in the northwest of the Vilhon Reach. It is a rich, fertile, farming land of villages and few cities—peaceful, civilized, and well managed. Turmish features rolling fields divided by hedges or dense rows of trees, with ample room for wild creatures. The mountains to the west harbor orcs, kobolds, and other monsters, but few raid Turmish thanks to well-organized mercenary bands that serve as local militias.
Turmish's natives have an excellent reputation as fair traders, welcome throughout the Inner Sea. The area is remarkably popular with adventurers despite its lack of monsters. Buried treasure
abounds (at least according to bards' tales), and the area offers plenty of ruins and wild lands to explore.

LIFE AND SOCIETY
The people of Turmish are tall, mahogany-skinned, and comely. The men of the trading class wear long beards with the ends carefully squared off. The phrase "square as a Turmian beard" signifies anything well or carefully done.
In addition to its farms, Turmish is known for its ornate and finely crafted armor. This armor is embellished with embossing, spires, and raised, fluted curves, mixing elven and human styles. It is sometimes hard to know which is more important to a Turmian fighter, his armor or his beard.
The Turmians have a variety of customs, both quaint and bizarre. Among the best known is the tradition of the guest dish. Anyone visiting a Turmian home, even on business, is expected to present a fine dish of food. Snails in an ornate bowl made from a skull are a perennial
favorite.

MAJOR GEOGRAPHICAL FEATURES
The Orsraun Mountains form Turmish's western border. The Aphrunn Mountains lie to the south and the Sea of Fallen Stars to the north.
Mountains of the Alaoreum: These northernmost peaks of the Orsraun Mountains nestle against the Gulthmere Forest. Treefall Pass separates them from the rest of the Orsraun. The range includes Mount Andrus, a semiactive volcano sacred to worshipers of Talos, who are rumored to be in league with an evil being or community dwelling in the heart of the volcano. The Alaoreum also holds Ironfang Deep, a great dwarven delving that produces highquality iron ore, gems, and gold. Ironfang Deep supplies most of Turmish's iron.

Aphrunn Mountains: These mountains have long served as a shield of stone between Turmish and the towns and city-states than have sprung up on the shores of the Reach. Travelers are familiar
with Mount Kolimnis, also called Eversmoke for its volcanic activity. Over a decade ago, the mountain threatened to destroy the city of Gildengladc, but the eruption subsided before inflicting any damage.

Orsraun Mountains: The largest, tallest mountain range south of the Spine of the World is a well-known abode for all sorts of evil creatures, including kobolds, orcs, goblinoids, and red dragons. It is a wild place, untouched by the civilized lands of Turmish.

IMPORTANT SITES
Turmish is dotted with hundreds of agricultural communities too small to appear on most maps, all interconnected with winding country lanes so tangled that they would drive an invader mad. Its
few large cities are the jewels of the country.

Alaghon (Metropolis, 88,704): Nearly the entire capital of Turmish is built of stone. A great fire in 352 DR razed the city, and laws have since required that all new construction must be stone or brick. Older buildings have been expanded and remodeled numerous times, and have several layers of old walls behind facades. This construction has created thousands of cubbyholes and hiding places in the city. Games of hide-and-seek are popular among Alaghon's children.
A freely elected council governs Turmish's ancient capital. Each citizen, regardless of race and social position, has a single vote. The chief speaker is chosen from the ranks of this Free Council. The duties of this chief speaker are few, the most dramatic being to maintain local and mercenary units for defense from pirates and other nations. The rest of the country is organized along similar lines.

Gildenglade (Metropolis, 48,384): This city is the second largest in Turmish, home to dwarves, elves, and half-elves. Its economy is based on woodcutting, woodworking, and mining. The elves rule the community and handle all negotiations with the Emerald Enclave.
The elves are skilled enough in forestry and preservation that they probably, have the best rapport with the Enclave of any city in the Reach. The dwarf population concentrates on mining the unusually pure veins of gold that honeycomb the earth below Gildenglade.

Nonthal (Large City, 12,902): The smell of manure mixed with the odor of slaughterhouses and tanneries provides an unforgettable olfactory experience for visitors to this town. Still, the lure of gold draws the curious to its streets and inns. Nonthal was named for a wizard who set up shop here over a century ago. He built a cottage behind a local inn, erected signs warning people to leave him alone, then disappeared. His house was ransacked after his presumed death, and directions were found to a place called Nonthal's Hold, a ruin said to hold a portal or series of portals to distant locales.

REGIONAL HISTORY
The origins of Turmish go back to the founding of Alaghon in -37 DR. Alaghon eventually became the capital of a powerful confederation of warlike, mercantile city-states similar to Chondath in its heyday. In 142 DR, the Lord of Alaghon, Dempster Turmish, expanded his control to include all the territory Turmish encompasses today. Dempster Turmish's efforts to expand his borders to include the city-state of Hlondeth and beyond never quite came to fruition, and by the time of his death in 150 DR, Hlondeth remained free.
After Dempster's death, Turmish had no strong leader for over a century. Political control ebbed back and forth between the various nobles and merchant houses. Turmish's commercial power remained undimmed during this period, however, because the Turmians never let their political ambitions get in the way of business. By 1242 DR, control of Turmish passed into the claws of the blue dragon Anaglathos, who insinuated himself into the capital and staged a coup. The dragon ruled as a despot for five years, nearly driving the country into ruin.
The paladin Corwin Freas slew Anaglathos and liberated Turmish in 1247 DR. Uncomfortable with ruling, Corwin abdicated the following year after creating the republic that rules Turmish today.
Corwin was assassinated in a coup attempt in 1254 DR, but the coup failed and the republic stood.
Turmish remains peaceful but wary today. Its ships patrol the Vilhon Reach, keeping trade routes open, and its mercenary militia keeps the country's borders secure, Turmish worries about Chondath's rising power, but it has not offered Sespech assistance for fear of provoking Chondath.

Kris Lighthawk
posted 08-03-11 07:47 PM EDT (US)     30 / 998  
Alright, I put up my centaur fighter.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 34  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » Hall of Wonders - Role Playing & Creative Writing » Staff of the Emerald Enclave : OOC thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames