loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Golden Ring : Beta game 1
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 06-13-08 07:42 PM EDT (US)   
GAME 1 ; 4 player expert

1 - Glim Glendon - DWARVES - zombie eater - b (dot)regalis AT gmail (dot) com
2 - Gin Sh'iar - DRACOS - HenrySix - Henrysix AT aol DOT com
3 - Kyr the Outcast - FROSTLINGS - fromage67 - GMT 0 - fromage67 at gmail dot com
4 - Ankrock Anblock - ORCS - Timelord - timelorddc AT gmail DOT com

see post here for some more map info:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=25&tn=3784&st=30#post31

I also recommend that everyone use a password for their turns, and to send it to me at
aow_pbem_pass@hotmail.com, or send it to another password keeper!
Its a great service... Use it!

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 06-27-2008 @ 02:53 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-19-08 01:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 101  
Glim Glendon

First things first - Gold mines have to be secured to provide my Runemasters with their golden hammers.

I see I also have to check up on the workshops - too much ale drinking and too much beard grooming going on here by far, not enough smithing and hammering. Back too work, you fools!!

--------------
Turn sent
--------------

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 06-26-08 04:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 101  
***IMPORTANT***

there is a small movie file used in this map (from AoW2), which you can download from
HERE if you do not have AoW2. This file should be placed into the AoW:SM "movies" folder. It is not essential to do this, but you may experience a 15 second black screen where you can do nothing. The game is NOT locking up, and nothing bad is happening to your computer. The game is just trying to locate or play a file that isn't there. Everything is back to normal after 15 seconds or so.

This will be a more common problem for the 6p version.
I've played 5 games until at least turn 40. (on the 4p version - 1 game until turn 35 on the 6p version)

• in 4 of the games, at least 1 wizard (different each time) was eliminated by day 15 or so, almost always due to independants.

• in each game, wizards would take turns dominating the map, but none could hold domination for long

• there will be alot of turns where you do very little; if the turns keep moving, its no problem. Just keep in mind that it is an empire building game.

• there is alot of suspense in the turns. things really pick up around day 30. Most likely there will be some major conflicts around this time, and then another period of rebuilding armies.

• SCOUT! You are playing blind, and you have no wizard tower. While you should be safe on your first couple turns, all bets are off after day 3. Keep your wizard well protected.

• While I playtest very thouroughly, what I can not predict is what effects diplomacy will have. The map was designed keeping in mind the request 'players should roleplay the races like the races/alignment really would'. There are no 'artificial rules' I'm imposing though, so enjoy whatever chaos ensues!

• There is alot of randomness to increase replayability and unpredictability. Depending on how the 'dice land', you may find yourself very powerful early on, or under considerable duress.

• If you play smart, you can overcome your limited and quickly dwindling resources WITHOUT having to disband troops. In fact, if you do disband troops, you may find that you get 'stuck' without enough troops to help you claim resources. Or worse, you may find your enemies are really close, and you won't be able to fend them off.

• Its a SMALL map. That means its very dangerous. Play cautious, or gamble big - that's up to you, BUT, if you do gamble, be prepared to go down in flames. On the other hand, a well-timed gamble when another wizard has their guard down could pay off HUGE.

• I'm confident enough in the map's balance that I can recommend it for wizard ladder games. If all players agree right away about making it a ladder game, go ahead and register them.

• lastly, there is a GAME bug I found which pops up semi-often on this map due to unique scripting. It may cause too many units to occupy the same hex, and when it does, you will not be able to move anyone. IT IS NOT A GAME BREAKER, and is an easy fix. Simply save your game, exit out, and reload where you left off. The units will still occupy the same same hex, but you will be able to move them now. It does not cause a restart.

GMMod for AoW2
posted 06-26-08 04:29 PM EDT (US)     3 / 101  
Frall has disappeared, so I am looking for a sub.
Hopefully this game will get rolling soon.

HenrySix will be taking over for Frall in this game.

Thx H6!

GMMod for AoW2

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 06-26-2008 @ 11:50 PM).]

posted 06-27-08 02:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 101  
Gin Sh'iar, day 1

Ice and snow as far as the eye can see! This is no land for Draconians, but we have built an igloo and called it an outpost.

At least there are some nice water nodes.

And we have found a Golden Ring!
posted 06-27-08 06:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 101  
It has taken me six years to finally complete translation of the Book of Kyr. This is one of only two surviving copies. I have decided to include the annotated remarks in the margins by one Kyr's companions, Kroten, one of the two wolf riders who made it West with Kyr on the voyage. These remarks add a welcome counterpoint to Kyr's self-righteous prose.

Kyr the Outcast, day 1 of the New Gouda

I have weathered pirates and ice and storms and sea monsters, and I have at last led two of surviving ships from the four that set out with my Father's blessing two winters ago, to this land of plenty.

I have christened my new outpost, New Gouda, in honor of my Saintly Father.

We set foot on this pristine snow with the Wind of Destiny strong in our sails. A new beginning for my people, a bright day in the History of Kyr.

He means he has weathered massive diarrhea from malnutrition and brewing rebellion. What a load of crock!

This place is just another chunk of ice, only we have no more food, so we cannot continue.

New Gouda, indeed! A few skin tents, and more cursed snow. HIs Father would have puked at the sight.

ts
posted 06-29-08 11:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 101  
Ankrock Anblock - Day 1

So, this is the land that I have been sent to for 'an important mission'. Inspite of all my efforts to win the respect of my tribe, I have been exiled in the name of a higher cause - a pursuit of some bauble that will transform the savage, feuding orcs into empire-building conquerors.
My orc father was right - I have had to do twice the brave deeds to become recognised even as a warrior. Maybe it was because my stupid Human mother was always prattling on about peace when she was pregnant with me. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't. I wouldn't know for she couldn't bear the pain of birthing me. I who killed my mother when I was born will lead the orcs into a new age - even if I have to kill everything on this barren iceland. Not an age of empire-building but an age of conquest and looting - nations will pay tributes just to convince me to not think about them. Then, the leaders of my tribe will take notice!

As for this Golden Ring, I am sure it can find its place among the loot we will accumulate.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 06-30-2008 @ 12:14 PM).]

posted 06-30-08 01:23 AM EDT (US)     7 / 101  
Gin Sh'iar, day 2

We have found a bridge off this barren ice floe. It leads to...

Another ice floe.

We see a shipwreck up ahead.
posted 06-30-08 04:53 AM EDT (US)     8 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 2 of the New Gouda

I am not sure what to think. We have received some very encouraging news, and also some more troubling.

A strong local chieftain, one JamesEde, agreed to join me. He is from a local tribe of long lost brothers. We are to bring aid to his tribe located north of here. They are besieged by orcs, and we must go around the mountains instead of crossing them to avoid the dragon. It seems like we will be not be alone here after all. Both friends and foe are here before us. No matter, here I am and here I remain. Destiny awaits. We leave the new colonists at New Gouda and follow our new friends.

Hey, gotta agree with Frostbeard here, JamesEde is a wolf-rider! And there are forests! We might eat something else than seal and herring soon. And a village! There might be women, there! Whaddya know, maybe Kyr does have a little luck with him.
posted 06-30-08 10:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 101  
TS

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
posted 07-02-08 06:36 PM EDT (US)     10 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 3 of the New Gouda

Orcs! They are swarming these icy lands apparently. JamesEde has been talking to me of this Ankrock Anblock, the chieftain of the orcs. He says that he can subjugate the will of weaker willed beings by looking deep into their eyes. I have to believe he exaggerates but I am not sure.

Orcs! Yeah, well done Kyr, Lord of Dummies. Why did I sign on this dumb expedition anyways. We have landed on another frozen chunk of ice, and it is not enough it is barren and forbidding, but it is already claimed by frostling-murdering orcs!

ts
posted 07-02-08 08:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 101  
Gin Sh'iar, day 3 (late post)

More ice. More snow. And today we added polar bears to the fun. We killed one today and now another one is going to attack us tonight.

Scouting is going as well as can be expected.
posted 07-04-08 01:16 AM EDT (US)     12 / 101  
Fromage, I haven't received this turn. Can you please resend?

posted 07-04-08 03:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 101  
Oops! My mistake on that one, turn sent.
posted 07-08-08 05:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 101  
not to crush your spirits, but the 4p rookie game is finishing day 6 already.

I thought you were suppossed to be the experienced group?

GMMod for AoW2
posted 07-09-08 01:39 AM EDT (US)     15 / 101  
Ankrock Anblock -

Hmm, we see a white magical aura very close to the borders of my own aura. Guess these white lands will see more frostling blood soon!

Turn sent

posted 07-11-08 01:12 AM EDT (US)     16 / 101  
Glim Glendon

Cutting down some evil woods is hard - and dangerous! - work. Ale all around!

------------
Turn sent
------------

Hmm, if I can get all the other Wizards to walk out on the ice, maybe I can Cast Firestorm on them... Yea, that will be my plan B for a fast victory.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 07-11-08 02:59 PM EDT (US)     17 / 101  
Hmm, if I can get all the other Wizards to walk out on the ice, maybe I can Cast Firestorm on them... Yea, that will be my plan B for a fast victory.
LOL! It HAS been done b4!

GMMod for AoW2
posted 07-13-08 02:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 101  
Gin Sh'riah, day 4

Uh oh. We tried to set up our second outpost and discovered we don't have enough money. And we're still losing gold quickly. Maybe the shipwreck will have some gold tomorrow. Otherwise, I don't see how we'll ever get over 200 gp again.
posted 07-14-08 10:26 PM EDT (US)     19 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 4 of the New Gouda

The more I learn about this Anrock, the more like an orc he seems. My scouts spotted an ice dragon near the orc town. I can only thank the spirits that Anrock isn't accompanied by an abomination, or else it would be a dire situation indeed.

Orcs and wolves! That's all this rotten piece of ice holds. One of our fellows was dragged away screaming by one of those poney sized wolves. Ugh!

ts

p.s. Restart because playing on secondary PC on vacation.
posted 07-21-08 11:59 AM EDT (US)     20 / 101  
Fromage, can you resend plz? I don't have the turn in my inbox.

posted 07-21-08 01:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 101  
Done.
posted 07-22-08 01:41 AM EDT (US)     22 / 101  
Ankrock Anblock - Day 4

Hmm, looks like the one they call Kyr the Outcast is really riled up over my treatment of the white little buggers. Or is trying to grovel his way into the Frostling kingdom by displaying his love for the pale runts? Or is he just a madman in search of a cause?
I don't think I will ever find out as it appears we have to part company soon...

Turn sent

posted 07-22-08 04:33 PM EDT (US)     23 / 101  
Glim Glendon

Another attack during the night by some ferocious fauna! Burn, burn them all!!

------------
Turn sent
------------

Restart due to reinstall, in turn due to a horked uninstall of the Brave New World mod.

posted 07-23-08 02:30 AM EDT (US)     24 / 101  
Gin Sh'riah, day 5

The shipwreck had enough gold to get us to 199! And losing lots of gold per day. What to do, what do do?
posted 07-24-08 08:26 AM EDT (US)     25 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 5 of the New Gouda

Anrock is crossing the ice and headed this way. He will not dare attack the frostlings on their home terrain.

Run, you fool! Orcs are bloodthirsty and they have crossbows and a warlord. And Anrock himself, the eyes! I must not look into them!

ts
posted 07-24-08 09:17 AM EDT (US)     26 / 101  
I need a resend. I've tried to open the turn twice now and it crashed to the desktop both times (error below)

Map: The Golden Ring - beta game 1.asg
Day: 5
Play Mode: Classic
Connection Type: Email
Players: 5
Human Players: 4
Seated Player: -1
Current Player: 4

Combat: None

Application opened at: 8:13:34 AM
Exception occured during TEventActionTE (8:13:54 AM)
System Time Error - Restart AoW2
Application closed at: 8:13:55 AM (2 errors)

Turn size looks ok (133 kb compared to last turn's 132 kb) and it is my turn because the second attempt asked me if I wanted to restart and I could see my picture for a split second before it crashed. So, not really sure what's wrong here.

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 07-24-2008 @ 09:18 AM).]

posted 07-24-08 08:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 101  
...and it shouldn't show 5 wizards with one dead... its only a 4 wiz map.

TL, if youhave not already, send an email. I know fromage is on the road alot and quite busy right now. I was actually surprised to see he had a chance to play this turn so soon.

GMMod for AoW2

[This message has been edited by greenmonster (edited 07-24-2008 @ 08:06 PM).]

posted 07-24-08 08:13 PM EDT (US)     28 / 101  
He already sent it to me again but that didn't open either. I've asked him to replay and we'll try again.

5 players is actually correct - 4 players + indies.

posted 07-30-08 09:57 AM EDT (US)     29 / 101  
Replayed turn.
posted 08-07-08 09:28 AM EDT (US)     30 / 101  
The new turn worked!

Ankrock Anblock -

Looks like one of either Kyr or myself will die soon though its hard to predict who since the forces appear to be evenly matched up...unless there are some more frostling grunts hiding in the snow!

Turn sent

posted 08-09-08 01:41 AM EDT (US)     31 / 101  
Glim Glendon

We wrested control over a small outpost from a Halfling. Still, he put up quite some fight for a halfpint!!

--------------
Turn sent
--------------

posted 08-09-08 07:23 PM EDT (US)     32 / 101  
Gin Sh'riah, day 6

Rub a dub dub
Five frosties in a tub
My Lurker was lurkin'
And it wasn't shirkin'
Those frosties don't know how to swim, bub!

Restart due to new computer. The Lurker vs Transport combat was the only one, and there was only one possible result.

[This message has been edited by Henrysix (edited 08-09-2008 @ 07:25 PM).]

posted 08-15-08 04:56 PM EDT (US)     33 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 6 of the New Gouda

Those fools! How could they allow it? They got sunk by a frog. My reinforcements.

Me and me mates feel sick. We saw the ship sink in the icy waters, just a few hundred yards away from shore. We couldn't tell why. Kyr just clammed up after that, won't explain, just told us to march.

ts
posted 08-19-08 06:12 PM EDT (US)     34 / 101  
Ankrock Anblock -

No idea how this is going to end.

Turn sent

Edit: ZE, I got a reply to the email I sent you with nothing but 2 .asg attachments with junk names. Let me know if the file reached you correctly (and check for viruses!)

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 08-19-2008 @ 07:01 PM).]

posted 08-20-08 11:45 PM EDT (US)     35 / 101  
Glim Glendon

Making some small, slow progress.

------------
Turn sent
------------

Game crashed through the floor as soon as the savegame file had loaded.

posted 08-21-08 04:03 AM EDT (US)     36 / 101  
Gin Sh'riah, day 7

We finally founded our second outpost. Nothing can stop our massive empire now!
posted 08-26-08 05:25 PM EDT (US)     37 / 101  
Kyr the Outcast, day 7 of the New Gouda

With my reinforcements kissing the fish, my strategic options are limited. I do what I must.

What he musts. I'm sick of this snow and of this ice. I want to go home.

ts
posted 08-26-08 11:18 PM EDT (US)     38 / 101  
Ankrock Anblock -

Kyr the Outcast is no more. To Gin, who helped me secure the victory by sinking his reinforcements, an offer of peace is extended.

Turn sent

I know its bad form to have a restart in a turn with important battles but I couldn't help it. The turn crashed first time upon opening and I feared this is going to be another re-play round but the second attempt opened fine.

The battle was inevitable and I outnumbered your troops 2-to-1, Fromage. So, hope its ok.
I am willing to replay without the battle if needed

Below is the error from the log.

Map: The Golden Ring - beta game 1.asg
Day: 7
Play Mode: Classic
Connection Type: Email
Players: 5
Human Players: 4
Seated Player: -1
Current Player: 4

Combat: None

Application opened at: 9:27:04 PM
Resource Missing TTCRaceStructure 649
Exception occured during TEventActionTE (10:10:44 PM)
System Time Error - Restart AoW2
Application closed at: 10:10:46 PM (5 errors)

posted 08-27-08 00:21 AM EDT (US)     39 / 101  
Exception occured during TEventActionTE
these have me scratching my head.
I never had any error messages in playtesting.

I wish I knew what missing structure it was referring to, plus, this is the 2nd time in this game that the 'event action' popped up.
No errors reported in the other 5 games, so I'm wondering if its just this file being corrupted, or if there is something happening with the archons (the only thing that is different with this map). Even so, there are no special race structures for the archons here, and the only script for them is to change boats into pioneers on a specific hex, and that worked fine (tested it many times).

GMMod for AoW2
posted 08-27-08 00:50 AM EDT (US)     40 / 101  
I think that TTCRaceStructure error is harmless as I have seen it occur in countless other games (though usually with mods on). The TEventAction is the one I am worried about.

...and I thought the Archons were only present in the 6-player map?

The System Time Error could also point to dual core being in use but I have never had this happen with other games too.
Both times the crashes have occured during the beginning of the turn. Maybe some event with a New Turn trigger?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » The Golden Ring : Beta game 1
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames