Please login or register

Fan Fiction and Art
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Blatant

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Rumgums
posted 07-07-06 06:54 AM EDT (US)   
This isn't a LotR story. Instead it is a Pirate story.

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A Pirate's Life For Me!

For years I wanted to be a Pirate, then I became one, after that for years I wanted to stop being a Pirate. Sure it was fun for awhile, but it got old roaming the seas and knowing you have no where to go, no place to call home, and no one to miss you if you die except your fellow dirty Pirates. There is a giant feeling associated with being a Pirate that many call loneliness. I do not call it loneliness for it is much more than that. There is no word in my or your vocabulary that can describe it. That is why I hate being a Pirate, but enough of that let us get to the story...

We Pillage, We Plunder, We Rifle and Loot!

"Oy we're off! Until next time little Johnny Locke!" shouted the man who was walking up the plank to his ship, "Be good son and look after yer mother!" Those words I heard so often in my childhood, my father was a sailor, not a pirate, but just a sailor. He was a deckhand-for-hire for any ship who would enlist him. Maybe he is the source of my love for the sea. The majestic ship set sail for the horizon and I went off to my job. I was fifteen and quite abled for work, I worked in a tavern. My duties ranged from carrying drunks to the back to Shanghai them to selling information to people who looked for it. So naturally I was exposed to alcohol a lot and it was there I had my first sip of rum.

"Hehehe come little Johnny take a swig!" chuckled the drunk Master of the Tavern as he swayed back and forth in his chair. He shoved the jar of alocohol in my face, I relieved him of the jug. I placed my lips around the ring of the opening of the jar, tilted my head back and the liquid flowed down on to my tongue. It was hot at first, but that was soon replaced by the sweet distinctive taste of rum. After a long draught the drunk swiped his jug back, "Not th' 'ole thing lad!" He smiled and said, "Yo' will be a good man one day Johnny Locke!" With that he flung forward and passed out on the wooden floor of his tavern. I noticed he left the jug sitting on the table, so I took it and finished the jug.

My legs defied me as I tried to walk down the cobblestone road to my home. My mind said go left but they mocked me and went right, I lost my balance and fell. My head bounced off the rocky road, but strangely I felt no pain I just laughed. I picked myself back up and slowly fumbled down the street until I reached my house. I opened the door to my home and my mother was sitting at the dining table, sewing something. She saw me and shot up, "Do you know what time it is Johnathan?!" I smiled at her and mumbled something. She caught a sniff of my breath, "You're drunk aren't you?" I looked at her quizzically, "Are you? Johnathan Graham Locke answer me!" I opened my mouth to speak, but words did come out. Instead vomit came out of my mouth.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)
2.Last of the Istari(Abandoned)

Proud Recipient of the Tolkien Award
Replies:
posted 07-08-06 05:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
Pirates are nasty...So excuse the language please...

My head was throbbing when I woke up, and as punishment my mother made me go work at the docks, where all the sailors are yelling and birds screeching. The work was not easy either, I had to carry crates of food back and forth. Then as I was carrying a crate a big man with a giant beard approached me, "Oy laddie 'ow would you like to work on m' ship?"

My eyes shot wide open and I dropped the crate of food, several fruits spilled out on to the hot wooden dock. I stammered, "Are you serious?"

The big man nodded and pointed to his ship, "Thas m' ship! We leave today at noon. We are headed to an island in the Caribbean to deliver supplies."

I nearly squealed, "Yes! I would love that, just let me go tell my mothe-"

The captain cut me off, "No no boy. Don't go blabberin' to yer mother. She surely wouldn' let ye go! Just hop on board."

If I had not been so excited and thrilled at the chance to sail I would have told my mother, and maybe if I had I would not have been a Pirate. I followed orders and ran up the wooden plank to his giant merchant ship. The men aboard seemed happy and like good people, they helped me out and told me where to go and what to do. Until we set sail, once we were at sea everything was different. Their faces were saddened and their tongues sharp. I asked where to go to the bathroom and a crude man replied, "Shut yer goddamned mouth boy! Get that rope and hoist the damn sail!" This rudeness hurt me, but I followed orders.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

posted 07-11-06 12:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
We're rascals, scoundrels, villains, and knaves!

After a few days aboard the ship I quickly adapted to the life of a Sailor. I learned how to react to things they did, and how to talk like them. Most importantly I furthered my ability of drinking. Nearly every night the men would gather below deck and have a drink. After a cold night of duty I stepped down the flight of stairs and entered into a whole new world. Under the deck the atmosphere was musky, cluttered, polluted with body odor, and the smell of vomit. Someone always vomits at these get togethers.

"Oy it's little Johnny!" announced a particulary drunk sailor. He handed me a fresh cup of rum and smiled at me, showing off his lack of teeth. I sipped at the warm liquid and let it burn my mouth. After a few sips the burn was numbed and it did not hurt, but the rum tasted good. After my third glass of rum a sailor my size bumped in to me, causing me to spill my glass of rum on him.

The drunk sailor acted appalled, "You little bugger! You don't know your place do you?" He stumbled and caught himself, "Maybe I should teach you it!" I replied not as he wavered to and fro. He lurched at me with his fist, I dropped my glass and easily side stepped the blow. He threw his hands at me and shouted, "You little snot!" He got a firm grip on my shoulders and his breath stung my nostrils. He yanked me around a few times and then I got angry. I shoved him away and he retaliated with a punch to my gut. The blow took my breath away as I doubled over, gasping for air. He turned around and triumphantly said, "This little boy is not a sailor!"

As he was strutting away I grabbed a wooden chair. I charged at him and brought the chair down upon his back, it smashed into pieces with a loud crack. He fell to the ground silent and I said, "This little boy is not a sailor!"

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

posted 07-13-06 12:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs!

After that night of the fight I gained a sort of new respect. I made my bones as some say, I was now looked at as a man instead of a child. That kept me happy for a few days but in all reality none of that mattered. Everyday on the ship is the same, you wake up, eat a horrible
breakfast, go do your duties, get drunk, and then sleep.

I wiped the sleep from my eyes and hopped down from my bunk. The other sailors were stirring as well, in fact that was what woke me. I slipped on my pants and my shirt and my boots then walked up to the mess hall. I grabbed a bowl and filled it with the sludge they called breakfast. I ignored the taste and just swallowed the thick rough paste. After washing it down with a swig of rum I made my way to the deck. The day was grey, a mist covered the ship making everything cold and wet, it was most depressing. The captain yelled, "Sails full!" The sailors, including myself, scurried about, unravelling ropes and what not. After we did this we set sail at full speed, after that we mainly just waited. As I was walking to the front of the ship where I like to sit I saw a man leaning against a wall with his shirt off. I peered around the corner and saw the captain there with a whip.

Crack! The whip sounded, Crack! With every stroke the leather tore pieces of skin from the man's bare back. Not like your parents tell you, it was not just whips. It was bloody scratches. After witnessing this and hearing his screams I ran to the railing and vomitted into the sea. When I was finished a man approached me and said, "My name is Tim, don't worry about that. Just ignore it." He patted me on my back and I opened my mouth to answer, but vomitted more. He chuckled, "That breakfast didn't do you no good." He walked off to go about his business.

Everybody on this ship had something to do and somewhere to be, I felt like I was in the way. Everybody had a place but me, I wanted to help contribute to the overall ship, but they overlooked me. Just because I was young they rendered me unintelligent and immature. The biasness I experienced was unfair and that perhaps made me want to be a Pirate, the thrill of controlling my own destiny.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

posted 07-19-06 06:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  
We kidnap, we ravage, and we don't give a hoot.

We made port after a long time of sailing, I lost track of time on the boat. The island we landed at was very nice, just like my dreams of the Caribbean. There were alot of different people, white people, black people, brown people, and yellow people. They all looked equally menacing. Once everything was unloaded from the ship everyone went their seperate ways, so I went to the bar with my new friend Tim. We got a mug of ale and he
said, "So laddie that was yer firs' trip. How 'as it?"

I said, "It made me feel like a man." Tim laughed like he knew something I didn't as he sipped his ale. The drink tasted funny, but I dared not show it to Tim, people like him would think I was weak if I could not handle my ale. After forcing a glass of ale down I asked the waitress, "Ma'am could I get a glass of rum?" The lady laughed at me and walked away.

Tim said, "You obviously didn't learn 'ow to talk! Ye can't b' polite mate. Th' don' understand it! 'Ere watch 'is." As the same waitress walked by he snatched her by the arm and said, "Get th' boy a mug o' rum now!" The lady smiled and walked off to get the glass. Tim said as the waitress was getting the drink, "If y' want to survive ye got t' learn 'ow t' talk!"

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

posted 07-23-06 08:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
We kindle and char, inflame and ignite.

Five days it lasted, our stay in the port. On the fifth day at noon me and Tim made our way down to board our ship. We walked to where our ship was tied up, but to our sorrow we saw the ship was not there. We began to panic as we looked around for our ship. Tim cried, "Oi! Out yonder!" he pointed off to the horizon and asked a man who worked the port, "What is th' name of tha' ship out thar?"
The man replied, "Ah that be the Queen." My stomach dropped to my toes as I realized we had been abandoned. We had nowhere to go so we went back to the pub to think things over.

Tim said as he sipped at a glass of rum, "What do we do laddie?" His voice was tainted with a sense of true authentic fear.

I replied with shakey voice, "We can live around 'ere fer awhile. Someone is bound t' need a few extra 'ands on deck." He solemnly nodded his head yes and continued his drink. The silence sunk in and I began to think on what we were really to do. We could not just live here for the rest of our lives. We need to get back out to the sea, we need to live our own lives. Then it dawned on me, "Tim! Tim cheer up mate!" He looked at me with watery eyes, "Do ye want to live yer own life mate? Don't ye want to make yer own rules?" He naturally nodded positively. I continued, "We can become pirates! I am sure they come through here and when they do we can just sign up!"
Tim nearly fell out of his seat laughing, "Thank ye fer cheerin me up mate. But ye can't just sign up to be a pirate. They are mean and nasty. You don' volunteer to be a pirate boy! Ah ye don' know what yer sayin'."

I countered, "We can learn! Ah ye don' believe I be nasty enough do ye?" Tim chuckled once more. A man walked by me and bumped into my chair, I shot straight up and grabbed him by his collar, "You bumped into me chair!" The man tried to worm out of my grip. I demanded, "Say yer sorry matey." The surprised man did not reply, so I slammed my forehead into his nose. I felt the bones break and blood came from the bloodied nose of my opponent. He stumbled backwards and cursed. He charged at me and tackled me into a table, smashing the table. I grabbed a bottle lying on the floor and slammed it into his head, knocking him out.

I stood up and brushed myself off and I heard someone clapping. A man was leaning on the door at the entrance to the pub. He was clapping slowly in his grungey suit. He wore brown pants with a red shirt and a grand black jacket with many pockets. Upon his head sat a large black feathery hat. He said, "Ye done well boy."

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

[This message has been edited by Boddah (edited 07-23-2006 @ 08:08 PM).]

posted 07-28-06 05:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
We burn up the city, we're really a fright!

The clapping man slowly stepped forward and as he did people scurried away from him. He said, "Me name be Cap'n Matthias Longbeard... But call me Cap'n Longbeard. I 'ave a ship out in th' docks tha' be need'n some new crew. You look tough 'nuff laddie. Wanna give 'er a shot?"

My throat was dry but I rasped, "I'll join up if me mate Tim 'ere can too."

The Captain said, "Arrgh... If ye prove yourselves worthy then ye can join.... Ye can find me at th' docks."

With that he turned and left the pub, when he left life seemed to restore and people began talking again. I whispered excitedly, "That there was a pirate! Tim this is our chance! Lets join up!"

Tim handed me a mug of rum and said, "We 'ave t' prove ourselves. Ye heard 'em!"

I nodded as I sipped the rum. An idea came to me, "Why don' we steal rum fer him? We can give it t' 'im and he'll let us join."

Tim smiled, "Fer once I believe ye matey..."

The air was thick and heavy with humidity that night. We were waiting at the backdoor of the pub, we were waiting for the place to close. After an hour and a half of waiting the lights went out, that was our que.

I quietly slipped the door open and went inside followed by Tim. I nearly jumped with excitement, "Timothy my God! Look at all th' rum!" I pointed to barrels and barrels stacked to the ceiling that were marked rum.

I saw a cart sitting near the door so I positioned it against the stack of barrels and we began loading them. We got nine barrels on the cart. We threw a tarp over it and pushed it to the docks.

Captain Longbeard was sitting on the docks, staring at the ocean. I approached him, "Cap'n Longbeard we got somethin' fer ye." He rose and I pointed at the cart.

He walked to the cart and removed the tarp and his eyes went wide, "Rum! Rum!" He almost started to dance, but he controlled himself. He yelled, "Someone get out 'ere and take th' rum in!" Immediately three sailors emerged from the ship that was bobbing on the water.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

posted 07-30-06 02:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A Pirate's Life for Me!

Captain Longbeard said, "I want three mor' shipments and ye both can join me crew!" It sounded easy enough so we agreed to the deal.

We easily got two more shipments but on the third things went sour. Temptation overcame us and Tim suggested, "Why don' we take this rum and drink it!"

I replied, "No Tim we can't do that... Cap'n would notice the missin' rum."

Tim laughed, "No no lad, we drink this rum and take a different load to him!"

I gave in, "What th' hell!" I tapped the barrel and poured myself a glass of rum. As usual the drink was warm, but it felt better than before. It was more inviting.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

[This message has been edited by Boddah (edited 07-30-2006 @ 02:33 AM).]

posted 08-05-06 01:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
"Watch this Tim," I slurred to my friend. He looked at me with glazed eyes and I stepped on to one of the rum barrels that were tipped over. I balanced myself nicely at first, but I rolled one way and the rum was a counterweight and it jerked the barrel back the other way. I fell off and broke through a table with my fall.

Tim said, "Shh man you'll wake up th' neighbors!"

I looked at him and laughed, "We ain't got no neighbors ye fool!"

He stopped and thought about it for a moment, "I spose yer right!"

We were woken the next morning by a startled bartender. He walked back to get some rum and screamed, "Oh my God!" He picked up a broom and began smacking us with it to motivate us. We fumbled out the door and he was still chasing us. Captain Longbeard was waiting outside the door and grabbed the hostile man by his ear.

Longbeard smiled and said, "I don' think ye be wanting to chase these boys." The man began to stutter and Longbeard threw him into the rum room. He put his arms around both of us and said, "Well boys ye done well. Ye proved ye can't do a simple job without get'n drunk 'n ruinin' it... Yes you'll make fine pirates!"

Our mouths shot open with joy, but he said, "Ah don't think ye be pirates just yet! You still have to show you got what it takes! That rum stealin' was child's work man!"

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

[This message has been edited by Boddah (edited 08-05-2006 @ 01:34 PM).]

posted 08-15-06 07:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
The joy we experienced when the Captain accepted us lasted for a grand total of three minutes. We soon learned we were nothing, we were scum at the bottom of the hierarchy of the pirate community. We also found out the Captain was a different man when we were at sea, he was mean and abusive. Once I asked a fellow ship mate, "Why is he so mean?"

He simply replied, "'Cause he can."

I thought it would be neat out here on the open sea, being able to do what I want when I want... I was wrong we can't do what we want, the Captain does what HE wants when HE wants, and if anybody disagrees they get punished, severely.

"I ain't doin' yer work anymore Longbeard!" spat a particularly brave pirate.

Longbeard emerged from his quarters, quite angry that he had been disturbed, and demanded, "Who dares t' speak out against the great Cap'n Longbeard?" Everybody pointed to the pirate who had indeed spoken out.

Longbeard stomped over to the fool who could not hold his tongue and said to the ship mates, "Ready the keelhaul rope!"

A voice replied, "Aye cap'n!"

After several mintues of bustling around the voice sounded once again, "Ready cap'n start starboard!" The Captain forced the fool to the starboard and he was quickly fastened to the end of the rope there.

What was happening was the prisoner was going to be keelhauled, that means he was fastened to a rope that goes from each side of the ship, underwater of course, it was used to scrape barnacles and what not off the hull.

The fool was then dunked underwater slowly and dragged across the hull. The barnacles and wood cut into his skin, leaving long dirty gashes and several splinters. After a good minute he resurfaced on the otherside of the ship. Here he was taunted several times and despite his screams he was dunked again.

Currently Writing
1.Rumgums (Abandoned)

Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven » Forums » Fan Fiction and Art » Rumgums
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Battle for Middle Earth II Heaven | HeavenGames