Caesar III: Game Help
Moderated by Granite Q, Gweilo

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Century of Palaces Club
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
posted 10-16-03 17:26 ET (US)   
I thought that since the 50,000 club was popular I would also start another one about cities that have 100 or maore palaces on them. My first idea was that they be limited to Large or Luxury palaces but any others could also post here and we could have seperate lists. I only know of two so far. What I really don't want to have is contest type 100 palaces where they are all evolved the minute before the save and all devolve the minute after the save. So we are looking for 100 stable palaces. This just seems interesting to me .

If anyone is interested or has passed this level please post here.

Those I know of are;

Caesar Philon - (1st April 2004) CARIA 67,748pop ; 250 luxury palaces

Caesar Philon - (16th November 2003) CP 200LxPalces; 58,000pop ; 200 luxury palaces

Goonsquad (17th november 2003) LLANDILO 50,519pop ; 137 luxury Palaces.

Theo ( November 2001? ) MEGOPOLIS 67,776pop ; 120 Large Palaces.

Caesar Clifford (1st November 2003) Cliff104P . 29,219pop ; 101 Palaces. All Luxury.

Tomek ( 1999? ) AMPHIPOLIS 54K 54,044pop ; 100 Luxury Palaces.

Finally added Phil's great efforts.

[This message has been edited by Clifford (edited 07-08-2004 @ 03:29 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-16-03 18:30 ET (US)     1 / 249  
A fresh start is someting wich I always like. I'm sure this thread will be as popular as 50.000 club with time. I'm in for the challange and certainly I will build a stable city at least for 5 years. I think I will need around 3 weeks since the desireability and other tests will be a lot of work.
I cant recall this at the moment but I think I have read somewhere about a city with 160 palaces. Maybe Brugle knows if such a city exists. I could be mixing some Pharoah threads, I'm not sure.
CP
posted 10-16-03 22:23 ET (US)     2 / 249  
Wow... this is a real good challenge. Think I'll have a try at that when I'm free. Are we allowed to create our own maps and work on them or do we have to use "standard" maps, like those in the original CCK?

D XUAN
posted 10-16-03 23:07 ET (US)     3 / 249  
Make your own maps or use an existing one.

I started on my attempt and got to 22 luxury palaces with only 7000 pop on the board so I should be able to get further but I think I will need the largest sized map instead of the second largest one. So I may redo the map and then I need something I've never used before. A set palace block. I have one with 12 palaces and one with 10/12 but its taking too much room. This is after 6 years.I need to think about this one instead of just going into it. It is fun though. I used Valantia as my empire location because it can produce all four goods and have fishing too. I used a northern map but may use a central one because of needing less wheat farms.

Someone that loves doing numbers which I don't have time for might know this answer. How many of everything do you need per 8 luxury palace block?. Full with 200 people and no other houses taking anything. I was just using small tents and luxury palaces but things might change.

[This message has been edited by Clifford (edited 10-16-2003 @ 11:08 PM).]

posted 10-17-03 03:52 ET (US)     4 / 249  
Think I'll use many 12-15-Palace strips to accomplish that. Might not even be successful. But hey, we would need quite a huge population there. 200*100=20k. Plus the number plebians needed, phew...

D XUAN
posted 10-17-03 04:48 ET (US)     5 / 249  
37 luxury palaces and climbing but as I said I will run out of room. Need a new map.
posted 10-17-03 04:49 ET (US)     6 / 249  
Nice idea! I don't have a palace block myself, this would be a good moment to design one. Hehe, maybe this could get me in the 50.000 club as well!
posted 10-17-03 05:06 ET (US)     7 / 249  
Mmm... if you use Palace blocks, how many do you think would be a reasonable number? You would need 10 (which would take up an awful lot of space) if you want to use a block with about 10 Palaces each. Anyway you do it, it would take up a huge area. I guess we'd all need the largest map available (the "enormous" sized one).

D XUAN
posted 10-18-03 11:06 ET (US)     8 / 249  
After I had some problems with the map I made (wrong Empire location and such) I now have made a good start I think. I have my plebian area done, I'll start on the palaces now.
posted 10-18-03 15:02 ET (US)     9 / 249  

be careful, palace blocks would "eat up" some 80-90% of your sprites

posted 10-18-03 16:39 ET (US)     10 / 249  
Hi tomek, it's not supposed to be easy and it won't be.

I have a map made up if anyone wants to try for the 100 palaces but lacks experience in making their own maps. Hopefully it is good enough to allow anyone to complete the mission . you can have the same map for either northern or central locations. Depending on weather you favor the extra wheat and increased prefect coverage or not. I hope I have enough fish in the map. It's not as good as what Phil will end up with but it will do the job. Just email me if you want to try this.

posted 10-18-03 16:49 ET (US)     11 / 249  
I think with respect to all attempting this challenge, we need some stipulations. Clifford how does this sound-

1. 4x4 palaces only (or alternatively Luxury Palaces only). Obviously if you are going to count 3x3 palaces you could have an awful lot more.
2. Palaces need to remain stable for a period of 2 years. Or at least if they are not stable this is stipulated in the list. It's a bit like RSW vs NRSW really.

We all know that it's possible to go from villas to luxury palaces with one move, by turning on wine importing. This could result in Luxury Palaces which are all approximately half full, meaning half the food requirement, and meaning you can have more of them with the same amount of food. This isn't really fair on those who build stable palaces.

Just my 2 cents...

posted 10-18-03 17:34 ET (US)     12 / 249  
I will try overcoming the walker limit by using forced walkers. This should reduce the number of service buildings too. The harder part would be building a stable block huge enough. I'm still in doubt whether to use a northern or central province, needs to be calculated properly.

Lately in nrsw maps I have seen deads in year ends after around 70 years. City health was below average for a long time but probably as catilina mentioned it needs to be keept at that level from the beginning till the end.

Tomek,
Just a few days ago in a forum I said I wish Tomek would join the coming citybuilding championships at CBC. I didnt know you were around so I'm happy to see you. Will you join? Someone -I cant recall now who- said once you were the best citybuilder ever, I'm sure you are indeed very good.
CP

posted 10-19-03 02:27 ET (US)     13 / 249  
i doubt i was the best. at the time when i had played c3, Martyparty was the best among us. some very good c3 players moved to pharaoh then, and reading the forums only Brugle seems to be still "alive".

i fear c3 runs not under my winxp; if it's true, i can't even see my archived saves for some nostalgy.

btw, could anyone pls tell me what a forced walker is? thanks.

posted 10-19-03 03:16 ET (US)     14 / 249  
A forced walker is a walker who starts from one side of the building and ends on the other side. The two sides of the building need to have roads wich arent connected where the building is but are connected far away like this:

Legend
Except the tiles wich are connected to the buildings the rest can be gardens and still it will work:

Legend
Almost all random service walkers can be forced to make long trips and certainly they wont be anymore random. A forced walker can walk 480 tiles (without counting edges) but since houses are losing access when the road is longer than 300 tiles having a longer road wouldnt be useful except markets.
In this thread there is more information about FW's and in reply 8 there is a demonstation file.

I wonder why the pages from Olympics do look so atractive to me now. Maybe its because at the time of the event many new features were being discovered and old times were more exciting for Caesar3. Or maybe its because the nostalgy wich is so clear in every part of this or this pages.

Nevermind Tomek, for many of us here seeing an old timer from time to time is something interesting enough. I still remember Dragon2 posting a few messages some months ago. I wish many of the great players will share the excitement by joining forums during the championship even if they dont play.
CP

posted 10-19-03 03:50 ET (US)     15 / 249  
thanks, philon

those maps of the c3 olympics were made mostly by Dragon2, and believe me, he is a genius map-maker. his efforts were continued by Baltic - who was another top c3 player in '99 - in the pharaolympics, and Baltic's maps were also marvellous. anyway, many of the c3 olympics maps are interesting and tough even these days, so i suggest everyone to try them and check whether she/he is better or not than the veterans were than. at that time we did not know the cheats of the game, if i remember well, they turned out only in the pharaoh times

posted 10-19-03 04:31 ET (US)     16 / 249  
Tomek;

agree's with others it is nice to see the "old experts" around...

PS: CIII does run under XP
as that is how I am running it as we speak...
you should give it a shot !!
IIRC one of the older Windows SP's has corrected a lot of the issues. (causing different ones but that is not really the topic here.)

Later

TealWanderER
posted 10-19-03 04:37 ET (US)     17 / 249  
thanks, TealWanderER

off

a friend of mine bought the game these days /it's already very cheap, some 4 euros/, and he could not run it; probably it's not the same whether using fat32 or ntfs file system, as it runs smooth on fat32, i know. on the disc it is stated that is runs only on win 95 and 98, and on the box winme either, but i have not tried it /i have ntfs, not the best solution for playing/

on

posted 10-19-03 04:56 ET (US)     18 / 249  
Tomek, I had some problems getting C3 to run under XP, it doesn't always work, if it doesn't work for you at first, it's easy to get it to run once you have it installed.

As for the actual palaceblocks and such

I've tried to save some walker sprites by using 1 large block, currently having 7k people in it, but it's still growing. I only have 1 actor colony and 1 theatre and all houses except for 6 evolved. I just deleted those six.

Also, currently I have 10 schools providing coverage, put if I'm correct, I can delete 5 of them and still have good coverage if I replace the other 5 with libraries.

I've based the concept on Philons 92k city, but I do not use forced walkers untill I reach the sprite limit and have to.

posted 10-19-03 05:10 ET (US)     19 / 249  
Re: C3 Olympics

Although I have attempted to play several of these scenarios and found them to be quite challenging, I was wondering if any of the "oldtimers" have in their possession any of the old discussion threads from that period. I've d/l all of the winners maps, but would really like to learn more from reading their discription on how they went about playing these maps.

Also, another great mapmaker from back then was Gordon Farrell, especially if you like military type maps.

I also am able to run C3 under XP, the problem I have is not being able to install Pharaoh and Emperor under XP. When I install one it seems to override the other one and the files disappear. Then when I try to reinstall the first game it deletes the second ones files...and vis a versa ...very frustrating. It has something to do with the Install Wizard or something.

StarKey

[This message has been edited by StarKey (edited 10-19-2003 @ 05:17 AM).]

posted 10-19-03 05:26 ET (US)     20 / 249  
unfortunatelly the old c3 olympics discussion threads are lost
posted 10-19-03 07:07 ET (US)     21 / 249  
That's to bad they're all gone, I'm sure that was some interesting reading. I was hoping that maybe someone had enough foresight to save some of those threads to a disc or something.

Wasn't 5 yrs ago this month that C3 was first released, I think it's really impressive that so many people still play the game and visit the forums.

Here's to another 5yrs!!

StarKey

posted 10-19-03 21:12 ET (US)     22 / 249  
Well I am up to 57 lux palaces and 2 large palaces that refuse to improve even though they are in a block of lux palaces. It is not easy especially when like me you just build. I'm sure that Phil will come up with a great block for us . I tried building 12 palace blocks but can only manage 10 because of schools and markets not walking far enough. So I have 5 - 10's and 1 -9. Can alwasy delete the 9 later and build another 10 to make it easier if necessary. I have 16,000 pop and 400 unemployed at present after 21 years. I have heaps of money. just taxing the first blocks and that briings in over 30,000 a year at 6%. My wages are down to 5 Dn which is great but not really a factor. I just set them to decrease to make it easier. I had enough money to build all the blocks years earlier but I tend to play at 100% speed and sometimes just let things play by themselves while I go and do something else. Maybe once I get a block set up and start again. I will do it a lot quicker.
posted 10-19-03 22:36 ET (US)     23 / 249  
Hi Cliff,
I have started working on desirability and its a very complicated issue. Since a house will evolve if one of its tiles gets the required points placings of desirable structures will be very important. Also there are gardens and plazas wich need to be considered and LX palaces will have a desirability affect too wich isnt so bad since their range is long.
For giving an idea about what I'm doing now here is an image:

Legend
This house will get 59 points on the tile of the edge. The bad thing is that gardens like that will take too much space and I guess there wont be enough space on the map. Probably I will face the real difficulties when I start building. My first plan is 200 Lx palaces and after that experience if I can manage it I will try to go further.

[This message has been edited by philon (edited 10-19-2003 @ 10:37 PM).]

posted 10-20-03 05:38 ET (US)     24 / 249  
So a house (tent-palace) needs in only 1 tile his desirability minimum ?!
And how much desirability does each house exacly need to evolve to the next level ?
posted 10-20-03 07:00 ET (US)     25 / 249  
200!! , well I just got to 70 luxury plus 4 large so I have 74 palaces. With so far 21,000 pop in 26 years and 100 PR and 100 Peace.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10  Next Page »
Caesar IV Heaven » Forums » Caesar III: Game Help » Century of Palaces Club
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Caesar IV Heaven | HeavenGames