You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: ETW - The Rise to Greatness: Prussia
posted 12-10-09 05:21 PM EDT (US)   
Hello all, this is my first post and first attempt at an AAR, so I might fail miserably, in which case I will try to write some stories! Any and all criticism is accepted. Thanks!

Prologue:

“… And thus I conclude, this great country of Prussia will once again be known as a force to be reckoned with. We will unite the two halves of our great nation as one, unified force to be reckoned with. I will first replace Otto von der Groeben with Kurt Christoph Bötchen as Lord Minister of the Admiralty. Under his careful supervision, we will begin to develop Prussia’s navy to vanquish our foes on the high seas.” Friedrich I finished.

The nobles and ministers all clapped politely. Friedrich bowed to the crowd, then turned to leave, but one young minister shouted out, “How can you make all these empty promises to us, you haven’t the means to see these promises through?”

I expected Friedrich to ignore his question, but I was surprised when he turned to answer.

“These promises are anything but hollow, for they are solidly entrenched in the heart of every good Prussian. Mark my words, Prussia will rise to greatness.”

With that he turned and walked out of the hall.

I followed him. I had turned into Friedrich’s personal historian, of sorts. He wanted me to record everything about his Prussian Empire, even after he is gone, I have even begun to train another boy, so when I pass, he will take the reigns. So what follows is a firsthand account of the rise of the Prussian empire.

[JPEG, (140.55 KB)][JPEG, (127.14 KB)]

In the summer of 1700, Friedrich replaced Otto von der Groeben with Kurt Christoph Botchen. The move was a smart one, as naval prices went down about 6% more than with von der Groeben.

The first part of Friedrich’s plan was to solidify the position of his first two regions, while keeping friendly relations with nearby countries. He also made a quick trade agreement with Saxony, and gave them technology for Plug Bayonets in return for currency

In the following pictures, I have done my best to sketch out what the two regions looked like at the end of the summer. As you can see, Friedrich authorized many construction projects to solidify the infrastructure of these regions.

[JPEG, (160.94 KB)]
East Prussia, Summer of 1700

((Also, the pictures are being a little weird, so any help with that would be much appericiated. Thanks again.))

EDITS: Here are the settings that I forgot to mention above

Campaign Type-Long (control the regions of Austria, West Prussia, East Prussia, Hungary, Rumelia, Brandenburg and Venetia, and Poland by 1799)
Campaign Difficulty-Very Hard
Battle Difficulty-Hard

[This message has been edited by PrincePrussia (edited 12-10-2009 @ 10:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-11-09 09:05 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
Looks good, i cant write good stories or add pics. I love AARs, so keep on working. But i dident get the point, are you trying to play as Fredric the great?

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
posted 12-11-09 10:19 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
I like it it's good!

Are you using fraps its free and takes good pictures

Sondre Norge- He is telling it from a historian that writes down Fredericks life, like a biographer.

Rangers Lead the Way!
posted 12-11-09 12:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Excellent!

I always feel these forums are lacking in AARs, keep it up!

Just wondering, does this interest you?
posted 12-11-09 07:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
Thanks for the input guys, look for an update later tonight or early tomorrow!

Edorix:

Yeah that interests me a lot! I'm writting this and will hopefully get into that and I'm also going to start writting some stories. Hopefully I can get in contact with someone to get in that guild!
posted 12-11-09 07:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
Liking it so far :]. Not sure why i like ETW AAR's so much, but and definately looking forward to watching this progress.

60% of people use dodgy statistics in things such as forum signatures. Post this if you are part of the 50% who don't.
posted 12-11-09 08:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Winter 1700

The winter of 1700 was a much more exciting year. The king began to put his plans into action, and he was making Prussia into a military nation. Fueled by the desire to unite both halves of the empire, the Prussians spent the summer months feverishly preparing for war, while Friedrich made trade alliances with many countries.

[JPEG, (220.92 KB)]

In the winter, he declared war on Saxony and invaded their home region. As of now, the Prussian attackers are laying siege to the defenders. The general in charge has always favored defense, and is making the defenders come to him. I will likely have more news from that region at a later date. Unfortunately, Poland decided to side with Saxony and declared war on Prussia. The king thought that after our new alliance with Poland they would side with us, but instead they sided with the enemy. It was no matter, though, for the King put his plan into affect a little earlier than he had anticipated.

[JPEG, (169.65 KB)]

West Prussia was left virtually unguarded, but for a few bands of peasants, so the King sent three regiments of line infantry, his general, and an artillery unit to attack. The attack was highly successful.

Although on the defensive, the leaderless peasants chose to meet the Prussians head on, a grave mistake. The artillery unit shelled the peasant’s advance to the point of breaking before they reached the Prussian infantry line. The Polish peasants decided to focus on the left side of the Prussian line and their artillery. The line held, while the right side swung around to open fire. Needless to say, the maneuver was highly successful and the peasants were driven from the field. A great victory indeed, for now the two halves of Prussia were united.

[JPEG, (134.44 KB)][JPEG, (153.17 KB)]

((Thanks Brutian. I can never decide whether I like RTW or ETW more, but MTW will definately ALWAYS have a special place in my heart)
posted 12-12-09 03:52 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
You are using an image-host I am not familiar with. With photobucket or imageshack though, I could help you with resizing or using thumbnails (that's the easiest way).
posted 12-12-09 09:34 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
Yeah, tinypic has always been my method... it's fast, free, no account. Does photobucket/imageshack require money?
posted 12-12-09 11:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
No; otherwise I wouldn't have an account for both!

Personally I advise imageshack. It is easy to use, and excellent if you want to upload multiple pictures quickly. Very simple. The only drawback is that thumbnails link to a page with extra stuff around the picture. See my AAR if you want an example.
posted 12-13-09 10:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Summer 1701

In the summer of 1701, the surrounding nations turned their attention to Prussia.

Austria declared war, along with the small country of Courland. The King was greatly concerned about the war with Austria, but happy that none of their allies had decided to take up arms against Prussia.

Poland also sent an army into East Prussia and laid siege to the capital. The King is planning to have the defenders sally forth later in the summer, which he did. I’ll get to that later.

The Battle of Saxony, Summer 1701

The defenders attacked the Prussian forces, trying to end the siege before they ran out of supplies. Saxony had mops of angry citizens, a unit of artillery, a couple units of pikemen, and a company of foot soldier. Overall, a pretty poorly trained army. The Prussians had three units of line infantry, an artillery unit and a general and his bodyguards.

The battle swung in the Prussian’s favor early when a lucky cannonball killed the Saxon general.

The Saxons attempted to focus on the artillery, but the Prussian general swung the left side of his infantry around to fire on the citizenry. The maneuver worked, many of the firelock armed citizens were killed and were about to rout right away. Meanwhile, the right side of the Prussian line was able to turn away the attackers. After that, despite rallying several times, the Saxons weren’t able to put a dent in the Prussian lines. The rest of the battle became a simple mopping up operation.

More to come about the siege at East Prussia, for we have yet to receive information about the battle.

((Thank you Edorix, imageshack is MUCH better!)

[This message has been edited by PrincePrussia (edited 12-15-2009 @ 10:26 PM).]

posted 12-15-09 10:28 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
No problem.

Good work.
posted 12-15-09 12:02 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Aha i see, not really familliar with Fredrick the Great, maybe i learn something.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » ETW - The Rise to Greatness: Prussia
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: