You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Topic Subject: RTW: DitL - Footsoldier
posted 12-12-09 00:17 AM EDT (US)   
So, being all caught up on The Rise of Prussia AAR, I reinstalled and fired up my RTW disk and immediately jumped as the The House of Julii. I started playing (medium difficulty all around) and I realized how awesome the entire game was. It was like Christmas, I had just as much fun now as I had when I first got the game. So, as a tribute to one of my all time favorites, I will be doing a little mini-series dedicated to RTW. 'DitL' stands for 'Day in the Life’; today I will start with the foot soldier. Yes, the regular grunt. The meat of the army. The backbone of the assault. The tip of the spear. Well... You get the point. So without further ado (SP?) I introduce the foot soldier.

Intro:

This is the story of that average grunt... You know... the nameless, faceless meat shield that, someway or another always ends up swinging the tide. Be it clogging chokepoints, routing the enemy, or protecting those archers, everyone has had a victory that was pulled off completely by the foot soldier. This short story will be the story of one such foot soldier for the Julian Army and his attempt to stay alive while fighting the infamous Gaul, his most hated enemy. But fighting the enemy is not always the biggest challenge, for what of the battles raging inside? What of the political battles being fought on the home turf? Sometimes, the soldier must overcome many obstacles just to have a fighting chance.

As soon as the common man makes the plunge into the Roman Army, he is taught discipline. Without discipline, the grand army of Rome would have been no different than the bloodthirsty Gaul he swore to defeat. He relies on the discipline of his brothers-in-arms, just as they rely on his own discipline. He and his comrades are taught to be disciplined in the field of battle and to always obey his superior's orders to the letter.

But what if your superiors are not always in the right? Pride and glory have and will always have a place on the battlefield, but what of when it puts those around you in danger?

The soldier has to always remember one thing, though: His superior is always right...

Part One:

The battle was raging all around, all hell had broken loose, and the middle of it stood Marius Cario. He was soldier to soldier with his fellow warriors in a large regiment of Hastati. A couple of bands of Gallish soldiers had broken through a weak section of the Roman line and were wrecking havoc on the Roman soldiers. The superior Roman force was in danger of being routed from the battlefield if the Gallish marauders couldn't be held in check.

Of course, Marius thought to himself, If I make it out alive, a rout might not be such a bad thing. Maybe they would finally sack the general
He, like all soldiers in his legion, didn't have a very high opinion of his general. He was a relatively inexperienced, plump, and college educated general. The men constantly complained about him, but no action would be taken for two reasons: 1) the young general had been appointed as a favor. He was from a rich, patrician family that would never see the war, only hear the news from the home front, and 2) He was favored of Caesar himself, of course, that was mostly due to the fact that he was receiving a handsome sum from his family.

But Marius had more pressing matters to attend to, namely the warband of Gauls he was up against. Marius' company had been in the reserve and had been sent up to neutralize the Gallish warband that had opened up the Roman lines. They had charged the Gallish, and inflicted massive casualties to their flank, but the Gallish had quickly turned to meet them. The fighting had quickly disintegrated into small bands of melees.

At the moment, Marius was engaging a small group of barbarians. He stood shoulder to shoulder with his comrades and charged the enemy. The Gauls charged right back, the two parties met head on; two of his fellows went down to Gallish blades. Marius swung his sword in a deadly arc, chopping an enemy's wrist off, and then spun around to swing at another. His blade was deflected, but another of his fellows stabbed his blade deep into the Gaul, the blade dripping crimson. Another Gaul charged Marius; he sidestepped, and then swiped low at his legs. It nicked the barbarian behind the knee, causing him to tumble over. Marius thrust downward, the Gaul's scream suppressed as the sword cut his jugular.

The bitter fighting continued, but finally the Roman forces prevailed and drove the Gauls from the field. The cavalry charged after the fleeing Gallish forces, cutting them down like pigs to the slaughter.

Another victory for the Roman Army.

((More to come tomorrowish. Like usual, all comments/criticism accepted))
Replies:
posted 12-12-09 01:25 AM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
Gallish marauders
This should be Gallic, not Gallish
They had charged the Gallish,
This should be Gauls, not Gallish

Apart from this, I think this is a really cool story, especially the
Marius thrust downward, the Gaul's scream suppressed as the sword cut his jugular.
bit. Look forward to the next installment.
posted 12-12-09 01:56 AM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Good Descriptions of chopping up Gauls!

Rangers Lead the Way!
posted 12-12-09 03:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Grr... You guys give such annoying feedback to stories like this...

Good descriptions of Gauls in action!
posted 12-12-09 12:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
((Alright, working on the ways to say Gauls, Gallic, Gaul, barbarian, etc. Thanks for the input))

Part Two:

As usual, there was a celebration following the victory. The party was a bit more sober than usual, though, all the men feel like they had escaped by the skin of their teeth. Marius tryed not to get attached to the other men, knowing that their lifespan generally not very good, but as Marius looked around and felt saddened by what he saw.

Many of his fellows were missing, casualties in the recent fight against the Gallic forces. He couldn't help but think that the attack would have gone better if not for their general. Decimus Aquilus, the general, had failed to see the weakness in time, if he had sent Marius' group of company of hastati in earlier, there would have been fewer casualties.

All around the camp, there were whispers of revolt. The men were coming to hate their Decimus. Worse than being a poor tactician, Decimus refused to acknowledge his shortcomings. Any time his advisors tried to make suggestions as to strategy, he blew them off, saying he had it all under control and that he was 'General of this great army for a reason.'

That had become a bit of a punch line. Everytime he would bring up his 'reason', the men would quickly laugh and remind themselves that the 'reason' was money. But for the moment, money was enough to ensure his safety.

Marius was jolted from his musing, when a soldier approached him. He had a long scar from his left ear, to right chin, he was tall and thick, the perfect soldier. It was obvious that this man was a veteran, possibly one of the famous triari.

"Marius?" the soldier questioned.

"Aye, that's me." Marius responded curiously.

"Come with me." the veteran said, then turned on his heels and walked away.

Marius was wary, but followed anyway. He had a feeling he knew what this was about.

"I saw you fighting today, and I must say you are exceptionaly skilled." the man hailed over his shoulder.

Marius accepted the compliment, but said nothing in return. He simply followed the man.

Eventually, they reached a medium-sized tent, the red stamp of Julii on its flap. He followed him inside. There were a couple other men, obviously soldiers, seated inside.

"Marius, I am Captain Cornutus." the soldier said.

"An honor." Marius said, bowing low.

"Enough with pleasantries, let us get to business." Cornutus started, "I want you to become one of the triari."
posted 12-12-09 02:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Good stuff, PP! (Can I call you that?)

You can use "Gaulish" as an adjective if it suits your purposes.

A word of advice; I've spent more than a few hours in this forum, and I have seen many an AAR or a war story come crashing down because the writer lost interest in the middle. I would advise you, if I may, not to overstretch yourself; two tales at once is gonna be tough; it may not be at the moment, but I know that you are going to feel the pressure.

So take it slow, and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-12-2009 @ 02:32 PM).]

posted 12-13-09 08:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
Part Three:

"Shields up! Phalanx!" Captain Cornutus yelled to his triari soldiers.

The soldiers lined up at the bottom of a long hill and put their shields up in a phalanx. The shields were barely up when a volley of arrows flew over the hill in front of them. A man to Marius' right crumpled in agony as an arrow struck him in the throat.

"Arrows! Shields up!" Cornutus shouted.

The triari crouched down and raised their shields high above their head. Arrows rained down on the Roman soldiers, but most of them clunked harmlessly off their shields. Eventually, the archers returned fire of the hill and soon the arrows stopped.

The triari got back down in their phalanx and waited for the Gallic forces to meet them. They didn't have to wait long...

The Gauls scrambled over the hill. When they reached the top, they let out a bloodcurdling war cry. The Roman lines fidgeted, but stayed in their deadly phalanx formation. The spears glittered in the morning sun, making a wall of death for the oncoming Gauls.

Marius braced his feet and waited for the charging Gauls. Just before the Gauls reached their line, he felt his fellow soldiers pushing him from behind. The first line of barbarians broke against the phalanx. A Gallic impaled himself on Marius' spear, he slid his spear out of the barbarian and jabbed his spear at another enemy. He caught the barbarian in the thigh, he crashed to the ground, then Marius finished him with a blow to the windpipe. The first wave of Gallic forces was in full retreat.

"Charge them, for the glory of Rome!" General Aquilus cried to his troops.

"Don't be rash, Decimus, our scouts showed twice as many Gauls in the area. We should wait for another wave, force them into another frontal confrontation, then send them in full retreat with our cavalry." Advisor Corbulo urged the young general.

"When you address me, you will address me as 'My Lord', Numerius, you would do well to remember your place! General Aquilus thundered.

He continued to ignore the advice of his advisors and had the body of the army charge the fleeing Gauls. They pursued over the crest of the hill, then plunged into the forest to meet them. As the army entered the forest, the bushes sprang to life and the fleeing Gauls turned to engage the Romans. Gauls sprang from behind trees and poured in from the darkness of the forest, the Romans realized the peril too late, and, before they knew it, they were completely surrounded.

The Gauls shrieked in bloodlust and charged the Romans. Marius was soon fighting for his life...

[This message has been edited by PrincePrussia (edited 12-13-2009 @ 11:02 PM).]

posted 12-15-09 10:27 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Yay, Gaulish bloodlust!
posted 12-15-09 10:25 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Thanks,

Updates in this and the AAR tomorrow.
posted 12-20-09 10:52 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Yay, Gaulish bloodlust!
Now there's a good response!

The latest chapter is my favorite I like how you ended it with a cliffhanger it builds suspense (and makes us want to read the next chapter!)

Rangers Lead the Way!
posted 12-20-09 12:41 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  
Which is basically the definition of a cliff-hanger.

I hope the reason for this delay is nothing more than that "tomorrow" means something different in Prussian.
posted 12-23-09 02:51 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11  
I hope you are still working on this you have a good plot going. Or perhaps Marius got lost in the woods fighting the Gauls and was never heard from again.

Rangers Lead the Way!

[This message has been edited by Army Ranger (edited 12-24-2009 @ 05:02 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: