You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Zeke's Corner

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I'm back, Zekelings!
posted 02-02-17 05:49 PM EDT (US)   
Wow. It has been near 10 years since I was a moderator here. Big Huge Games is long gone. I'm now 23 and nearing the end of a Masters in Computer Science. But RoL Heaven remains!

I seem to have been the main modder back then, driving where I could against the poor modding. Massive congrats to those who've built extractors for the game data and are thinking about building from that.

Zekelings are a tiny mod I've never quite forgotten. http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=5&tn=778&st=recent&f=5,778,0,365

Now I'll need to find some time to play!

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 02-02-2017 @ 06:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-03-17 07:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Welcome back!
Since activity is currently sparse here, your return calls for a celebration with trumpets, drums, people throwing rice and flowers from baskets, etc as you ride on a golden chariot through the streets up to the ROL clubhouse which is looking a little shabby and in need of a makeover but it's still chugging along.

If you check the front page news there are a lot of links and info.
I included your modding tutorials in this modding pack here.
You will see that it says: "Currently missing is the Hero Modding guide by Evolved which can be found described in the forum here - but the link for the download is broken."

If you happen to still have this guide and more I can update the pack.
Also check out Motter's 3 mods as he managed to mod and add heroes into the game.

If you have any questions, ideas, etc email or post as I check in regularly.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 02-03-2017 @ 07:24 PM).]

posted 02-07-17 12:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Cheers alincarpetman. I've had a fun few days playing RoL and RoN. I must admit, I've noticed RoL has comparatively limited replay value despite how INCREDIBLY COOL a lot of it is.

Sadly I'm sure that modpack is long gone into history - neither I or archive.org have it. I'll have a look a Motter's mods and see if I'd like to stick around!
posted 02-08-17 06:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Yeah I tried archive.org and wasn't able to find it, no big deal as we do have some info in Motter's hero mod and the modpack tutorials.

If ROL got full modding options from the beginning there would definitely have been more replay value and more player created content by now, the BIG Archiver was just released last year 2016 so there's a lot of catching up to do.

We also need programmers and modders for the User Patch project to expand the game, if you have any input it'll help.

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 02-08-2017 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 02-10-17 09:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
> If ROL got full modding options from the beginning there would definitely have been more replay value and more player created content by now, the BIG Archiver was just released last year 2016 so there's a lot of catching up to do.

Indeed! Much of why I came back was to document just what I was doing online back around 12 & 13. To quote from the history I've been putting together:

> The first Rise of Legends demo was moddable. The plain XML files were there and the fan-created tooling of RoN seemed not too far from what might still work. But then the second demo came, and the released game. Both were packed in proprietary formats, undocumented and with nobody of sufficient skill around to circumvent that.
>
> Rise of Nations had a long, long shelf life - people could mod it, make models, build big adaptations and create their own games. But I was horrified to find Rise of Legends was released to be obsolete.
>
> 2 months after release I was losing hope in my discussions with the Big Huge Games community manager Greypawn. I started a petition in the hope expression of interest could bump the priority.
>
> I was no brilliant modder. To this day I haven't built a large or successful mod for any game. I was there, interested and keen, but I would have been the community person supporting intense modding efforts. But I had to watch those brilliant modders swiftly move on.
>
> The petition didn't help. BHG were focusing on balance patches and competitive gaming to the exclusion of modding. I realised modding wasn't happening without major inducement.
>
> I took a somewhat harder tone publicly and to BHG. Activity was crashing. There was nothing new coming to keep people around. My tutorials or Demo 1 mods weren't even a stopgap.
>
> We all moved on. 6 months post-release, a year post-release, we stepped back. 2 years post-release on [2008-05-20](http://rol.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,901,30,all&st=recent) the forum was as good as dead. I was 15-years-old and presumably well on my path to that game forum for shooter games I didn't like whose name I forget, into freelance work, into eventually finding Rewired State and all that happened since.
posted 02-11-17 05:19 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Yeah I'm interested in reading that when you're done, there is a modding history thread here or you can post your own

[This message has been edited by alincarpetman (edited 04-18-2017 @ 08:45 PM).]

Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Zeke's Corner » I'm back, Zekelings!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames