You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modifications
Moderated by Aurilux

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 07-25-06 10:59 PM EDT (US)   

Please note the campaign has moved to a dedicated site, to allow people not registered on these forums to sign it.

The Campaign for Rise of Legends Modding Capability (or CRLM for short) has one aim: to get BHG to allow us to really modify Rise of Legends by access to at least the unitgraphics.xml file - giving us the ability to create giant tornadoes, groups of big and small and whatever zeke's and more. We could use it to make units and buildings not in the final game, to make units whatever size we want, and hopefulyl to change the actual look of the units themselves!

This is the primary goal, although in future based upon the success of this Campaign and other factors we may campaign for some sort of multiplayer modding ability.

Here's the goals in brief...
Stage 1
Requesting the unitgraphics.xml file at least, and hopefulyl all the XML Files editable in the first demo.
For technical people, here is a list of the main wanted files: building_graphics.xml, gamecamera.xml, unit_graphics.xml, ammo.xml, and any other files needed for skin and model editing (maybe later). That is a quick list, and I may add a FEW files to it over the coming days/hours. Preferably all the files though.

Stage 2
If not, a model exporter (and BHG did say if there was enough demand we might get one) and possibly a skin exporter too if it's not possible with just unitgraphics.xml/the files we get. Also requesting a multiplayer mod feature if easily possible.

Big Huge Games has decided to not spend time increasing moddability of the game, and instead chosen to focus on Multiplayer. A Good Choice you say? Well look at the Rise of Nations Heaven Download Section, with it's 308 files, of which a lot were already made by this amount of time after game release.

Yet this game has a pitiful 13 Mods, and as it happens there is only 3 or 4 for the Full Game - most others enable the Cuotl in the Demo, as it happens. A rather big difference, bearing in mind as well as non-demo mods are by me! You saw how popular RoN was, so why not repeat that for RoL?!

So, make a difference, and post here supporting this Campaign, as we compile a petition of names for modding - if enough people sign, they'll have to listen! If you have any questions or arguments, please post them as well.

Attached View of Agamemnus: Let's not forget that the current capability that we have right now is grossly under-documented and some of the documented script functions don't even work. There should be more documentation on the script functions we can have and on how to compile stuff before all the extra moddability, I think.

Attached View of tactickiller: they should also give us a exporter for a free model program so we dont have the same thing that happened to ron (the program costed about 600$).

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 09-02-2006 @ 06:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-25-06 11:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 128  
posted 07-25-06 11:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 128  
I've added you. It's just a simple 'Yes' everyone, to show your support, taking up almost none of your time!

I've also posted this at Game Replays to try to get more votes.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-25-2006 @ 11:19 PM).]

posted 07-25-06 11:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 128  
Yes, plz.

you can't spell 'ignorance' without IGN.
posted 07-25-06 11:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 128  
Added.

Tell you what, I'll stop posting saying you've been added as much as I am and just add you, shall I?

posted 07-26-06 00:02 AM EDT (US)     5 / 128  
Count me in. I'm no modder but have serious respect for them and truly enjoy all the great works they come up with. Plus I feel companies can have a real opportunity to learn from a modders innovations which can only be a good thing in the long run.
posted 07-26-06 00:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 128  
Wow!

That is the best modder-friendly thread i have ever seen :

Judging by the number of signings so far, we'll be quite quickly a growing force

Oh, wait, I said I was gonna stop posting...

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-26-2006 @ 00:08 AM).]

posted 07-26-06 00:16 AM EDT (US)     7 / 128  
Sign me up.

Modding and Scenario Design were two of the main reasons I bought the game. It's a real dissapointment to find out that I can't retexture the files. I haven't even tried modding what is moddable in Rise of Legends because I don't want to sort through all the barriers that Big Huge Games can put up. So, I've went back to modding for Age of Mythology which is very mod friendly. It would be great if you could totally make the game modding-friendly by unlocking all of the texture files, allowing new modded units, and allowing custom models to the game. Now, I know some of that would be very hard and expensive but if it would be possible to just unlock the textures file, that would be ace.

Now, don't get me wrong. Rise of Legends is a terrific game. But, it would be so much better if Big Huge Games unlocked all of the modding files. Please at least consider doing this guys!

Hmm, I guess that was a bit more than a simple 'yes'.

posted 07-26-06 00:16 AM EDT (US)     8 / 128  
Hell (lol wont let me say f word) YES

so how many do we need?

~=~just give me all your cash ok. or do i need to do something to make you~=~
Fast Food and Gay Buttsecks
What we're Shala's all about
for knowing the first 31 digits of pi from memory 3.141592653589793238462643383279. I am the PIE MAN. lol
posted 07-26-06 00:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 128  
It's not a set number. We just have to hope some BHG guys see this thread and are feeling generous.

posted 07-26-06 00:24 AM EDT (US)     10 / 128  
Wow, 6 already!

You know, I'd do it for them if they'd let me.

tactickiller: the number could be anywhere from 10,15 maybe to 80, 90, 100 maybe even more. We have to play the waiting game. If it gets to 50 with nothing happening I'll email it to BHG and ask them to forward it to be considered 'at the highest level'. And every 20, 30, 40 or 50 or so after that as well. But don't worry, I don't think they'll just ignore what is really such an insignificant request off the bat even if the number isn't very high. As Greypawn's said for ages, he wants more modding too, so we have a little friend at BHG.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-26-2006 @ 00:37 AM).]

posted 07-26-06 01:27 AM EDT (US)     11 / 128  
posted 07-26-06 01:53 AM EDT (US)     12 / 128  
I guess that means you sign too

Yes I did know, but pre-stating it would be rude, stupid and misleading.

posted 07-26-06 02:06 AM EDT (US)     13 / 128  
im no modder but you can count me in
posted 07-26-06 03:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 128  
yes. there's no reason for it not to be.
posted 07-26-06 05:09 AM EDT (US)     15 / 128  
Yes, I sign this petition ^^
posted 07-26-06 05:15 AM EDT (US)     16 / 128  
Sign me up

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
posted 07-26-06 06:45 AM EDT (US)     17 / 128  
Count me in as well.

"One day, my quotes will stand in signatures"
Sjonnie

Quod licet Iovi non licet bovi

posted 07-26-06 07:23 AM EDT (US)     18 / 128  
Count me in!!! The more mods there r the more fun the game becomes for nonmodders like me!!!!

PS- could a mod make this an announcement or something???

posted 07-26-06 09:53 AM EDT (US)     19 / 128  
i would vote for this evolved, but like i said you're aiming too low with this, you should be asking them to let you unlock the 'real' files to allow for permanent changes, or model importing/exporting, not just being able to scale unit sizes (which i'm pretty sure is a bit less than the people here voting for this are asking for as well)

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 07-26-06 10:42 AM EDT (US)     20 / 128  
If we have success, then we will be demanding all that as well.

Quote:

Stage 1
Requesting the unitgraphics.xml file at least, and hopefulyl all the XML Files editable in the frist demo.

Stage 2
If not, a model exporter (and BHG did say if there was enough demand we might get one) and possibly a skin exporter too if it's not possible with just unitgraphics.xml/the files we get. Also requesting a multiplayer mod feature if easily possible.

____________________________________________________________ _____

Well, we've got 14 votes in roughly 14 hours!

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-26-2006 @ 10:46 AM).]

posted 07-26-06 11:51 AM EDT (US)     21 / 128  
i sign yes
posted 07-26-06 12:13 PM EDT (US)     22 / 128  
well you have my vote then, before you seemed hell-bent on getting those resizeable units above all else

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 07-26-06 01:27 PM EDT (US)     23 / 128  
I've updated it and added a new banner. I wonder if anyone can guess why i picked that particular unit (the old juggernaut).

I'm also seeing about restyling this with html and tryingto get it to look better.

[This message has been edited by Evolved (edited 07-26-2006 @ 02:21 PM).]

posted 07-26-06 03:38 PM EDT (US)     24 / 128  
I sign yes!
posted 07-26-06 04:20 PM EDT (US)     25 / 128  
sign me up

"When I die, just keep playin' the records." Jimi hendrix
"If there was a mountain of coucaine in my backyard I'd sniff it just because it was there." Jim Morrison i think
yay
yay
yayyayayayay!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » The Campaign for More Rise of Legends Modding Capability!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames