Game Modifications

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unofficial Modding FAQ
posted 06-09-03 06:05 PM EDT (US)   
1) How to Install a Mod

two ways.

I)..find the tank graphic skin entry unit_graphics.xml and change it to reference the skin file u want to use. BUT this will cause an out of synch if u play multiplayer and not everyone has the same mod.

II) or rename the skin mod to the skin u want to replace and put it into the art directory.

In both cases u should make a backup of the original files.

if u want to do any of the kingtiger mods...then rename the one u want to use to kingtiger.tga, then find that file in the art directory of the game, and make a backup of it then copy the modded skin file it into the art directory of the game.

Replies:
posted 06-12-03 12:03 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
For anyone interested in learning how to use photoshop, 3Dstudio Max, Maya, and all the popular graphics progams, as well as mod design for games like Unreal, Quake etc.

This site http://www.3dbuzz.com/ offers free downloadable tutorials, and message boards, as well as online classes.

Also if u cant afford 3D Studio Max, there is gmax (which is a free version of 3D Studio Max) for the non-professional users. http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/ Not sure how compatible or what functions are missing from this with the BHG exporter (that will also be needed and eventually released).

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 06-28-2003 @ 04:32 AM).]

posted 06-22-03 09:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
additional info on sounds:
soundfiles.xml is used to hold the names of event sound files and the event type they are associated with,
ie)

SOUNDFILE priority="25" tag="antitankriflefire" file=".\sounds\antitankriflefire.wav"

associated the anti tank rifle firing wav file with the anti tank rifles firing event.

The event is associated with a unit in the soundtypes.xml file, find the ANTITANKFILE entries:
Now under ATTACK you can see an entry like this:

FILE file="AntiTankRifleFire"

Notice the ATTACK entry matches the previous file event type. We can associate a different file to the event by changing the file it is associated with or by changing the event to another event, or both if we wanted to add a completely new file AND event type.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 11-05-2003 @ 02:22 PM).]

posted 11-14-03 08:43 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
http://www.bighugegames.com/riseofnations/downloads/multiplayer_mod_doc.
Documentation on how to install mods in RON patch3 so that it shows up in the drop down menu's. Includes a Uber_javelineer mod.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 05-12-2004 @ 01:30 PM).]

posted 11-26-03 01:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
posted 03-23-04 02:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
You can tweak it in rules.xml - either in data folder or mods/yourmod/data/rules.xml.

Just look for 200. There are 2 locations in rules.xml you will need to change.

Warning: Setting the popcap higher will result in spamming armies and HUGE armies in use by computer players. A) not for the faint of heart and b) not for wimpy computers (get at least 512 ram and 1.2 proc w/ 64mb graphics)

Thanks to Tilla the Hun for the info

posted 06-10-04 01:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
How to install skin mods.

some skin mods alsreayd have everything set up and all u need to do is put it in the mods directory (under its own subdirectory)

other which is only the skin files. u have several options.
1) make a backup of the originals and copy the mod skins into the art directory, and restore the originals when u want the originals
2) create your own mod from the skin by adding a modded unit_graphics.xml and info.xml
3) use my mod util (only compatible with the original RoN so far) to help u create the modded unit_graphics.xml and associated mod info.xml file.

posted 06-26-04 03:26 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Typical Mod installed. Your directory structure should look something like the following.

Different mods will go under different directories under your mods directory. The example shows the Norman Knights mod. If its another mod the files/folders (also notice how these mirror the data or art directory or whatever like the game folder, the only difference is the info.xml file which is what the game uses to create an entry in the mods options in game) shown will be under another directory.

Your mods directory will look something like the following:

Notice all the folders for each mod under the master mods directory.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 06-26-2004 @ 03:35 PM).]

posted 06-30-04 00:20 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
TRIBE MASKS

100000000000000000000000 Persians
010000000000000000000000 Dutch
001000000000000000000000 Indians
000100000000000000000000 American
000010000000000000000000 Lakota
000001000000000000000000 Iroquois
000000100000000000000000 Mongols
000000010000000000000000 Koreans
000000001000000000000000 Japanesse
000000000100000000000000 Chinese
000000000010000000000000 Russians
000000000001000000000000 Germans
000000000000100000000000 British
000000000000010000000000 French
000000000000001000000000 Spanish
000000000000000100000000 Turks
000000000000000010000000 Egyptians
000000000000000001000000 Romans
000000000000000000100000 Greeks
000000000000000000010000 Nubians
000000000000000000001000 Bantu
000000000000000000000100 Inca
000000000000000000000010 Maya
000000000000000000000001 Aztecs

Thanks to jesus123 for posting the expack tribe mask.
To get the original game's tribe mask just drop the 1st 6 digits.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 06-30-2004 @ 10:00 PM).]

posted 07-11-04 05:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO KNOWS HOW TO RELOCATE NATIONS ON CTW???? Dear god...

Likewise, you better listen. I've already told everyone at RON Oracle, so they should know. First of all...

1) Get an XML Editor.
2) Enter the program.
3) Go on 'File' then 'Open'
4) On the 'Open' window, navigate yourself to the RON Thrones and Patriots directory.
5) Click on 'conquest' folder, try your best to focus your eyes on some file named 'CTW_World_Map_01'
6) Click on it.
7) It shall now come up, edit at your own bewilderment!!!
8) Find 'Korea'
9) Along the 'Korea' line, it says: 'owner="Koreans"'
10) Delete that. Its stupid.
11) Now, this is what I like. Place it wherever you like!!! How do you do it, you ask?
12) Find any place at all. (Southeast Asia, if you're changing your little Vietnam mod)
13) Type in 'owner="Koreans"'
14) Save it and you're done. No one ask me again, ok?

posted 07-13-04 03:59 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
to one dead angel

i downloaded ur old gaurd and cant figure out what 2 do. the only modding experience i have is with NHL 2004 witch is a very different experience. Can u give me a step by step instruction 4 what 2 do. Thanx in advance.

posted 07-13-04 08:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
what do u mean? do u mean u dont know how to install the mod? or are u trying to change the mod? the latest version of my mod u dont need to do anything special. just put it in the mods directory as instructed. and this thread contains example of how it should be setup.
posted 07-21-04 07:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
To enable cheat keys in the scenario editor, you need to start up a quick battle (it doesn't really matter what settings) and when the game starts, hit enter to open the chat interface, type 'cheat keys on' and then press enter.
Then exit the quick battle, open up scenario editor, and they should be activated.

(This information can be found in the "Scenario Editor Walk" document included with BHG's Scenario Editor Documention files.)

Thanks to DontheDime for posting

posted 07-26-04 10:43 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
http://ron.heavengames.com/library/articles/modding.shtml

library of articles and links on modding or 3dmodeling/texturing

posted 08-03-04 04:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19  

i havent tried brazil mod but it should be the same.

if u have the norman axe its almost the same as the example i showed before except the directory name will be slightly different. further more the full instructions were in the vietnam mod (and i assumed the brazil) so if u followed it u should have it working. the civilian buildings one has instructions included, but that one is not setup as a menu selection, so u have to follow it VERY carefully, and undo all the changes manually if u want to restore the game or use another mod. u should have enough examples to deduce when things need to be different slightly. but like i said, some mods u need to basically know how to mod to make them work and some are fully usable and just needs to be installed (these usually are the newer ones).

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 08-03-2004 @ 04:37 PM).]

posted 08-19-04 03:04 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19  

Quoted from "SeraphLeviathan":

After seeing a nice amount of topics on "How do I modify the Population Limit?" I decided it's finally time to make simple and easy instructions for modifying the population limit. So here it goes:

First off, MAKE A COPY OF THE FOLLOWING:

"rules.xml"

If you don't make a copy, you'll be unable to play Multiplayer Games, and then you'll be out of luck, especially if you're playing Vanilla RON (If you lose the original Patch 3 "rules.xml" you'll have to reinstall and repatch *bummer*)

The "rules.xml" for Thrones and Patriots (which is what I'm currently running) is located at, if you just installed without changing the default place of installation:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\Thrones and Patriots\data\rules.xml

OR FOR VANILLA RON

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\data\rules.xml

Okay so you've found the .xml file (if you haven't found it... you've got a serious problem and should seek help). Now, open your "rules.xml" file with Word 2000. That is the only program you can edit the "rules.xml" file with. Internet Explorer only allows you to view the file, and notepad and wordpad will save the .xml as a text file. So right click on the "rules.xml" select Open With and choose Word 2000 or Microsoft Word for Windows (they're the same thing, it just appears different to which version of Windows you're running).

Once you've done that, search for: POP_CAP. (without the period of course) You should now see:

You can now edit the numbers in the quotation marks to whatever you choose. This entry is used in-game to tell the RON system the amount of units each nation can create. NOTE: entry0 is your base population limit. This is the limit you always start with. ALWAYS make it the lowest, since entry1 requires Military1 research.

Now go down to MAX_POP_LIMIT (this is four down from the POP_CAP). You should now see this:

This value MUST be changed, not just because it's the Max Population Limit, but because of the Bantu and Colossus. So, the value must be at least +100 your entry7 limit.

So if my entry7="450 pop cap"/
My max pop limit should be value="550 pop cap"/

Okay, now that you're done with that, you have one more section to change: Go to your find and search for poplimits

Once you search for that you should see:

Now, this section is as important or maybe more so than the previous section. This section details to RON the choices of population limit. I.E. when you research Military 1 you'll see the 50 that is labeled here. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, is that, YOU MUST CHANGE BOTH AND THEY MUST BE THE SAME. When you're in the Quick Battle area, selecting population size, this is the number that will show up. It is the same thing when you're in battle. This is the maximum number that is shown in the upper right hand corner. So these MUST BE CHANGED.

When you've changed what you want, you can save it and go play. Enjoy you're new population limit. If you have any questions please ask, I'm almost always roaming these forums. And please remember: SAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL RULES.XML.

-SeraphLeviathan

thanks to SL for posting the original thread

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 08-19-2004 @ 03:07 AM).]

posted 09-09-04 02:47 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
how manage to restrict the ages in the enitre world map for ctw

Quoted from LethalAmbition:

For TaP
In the folder "conguest" are the files for each CTW.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\Thrones and Patriots\conquest

If you were to edit the New World campaign, you would open the file called CTW_New_World_Map_01 and look for the line saying "Starting age=3" "Ending Age=4"

Change the starting or ending to your hearts desire and save over. Backup the original file though

Ancient Age=0
Classical Age=1
Medieval Age=2
Gunpowder Age=3
Enlightment Age=4
Industrial Age=5
Modern Age=6
Information Age=7

posted 08-09-05 08:27 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
How to install a downloaded Mod

Quote:

it depends on the specific mod.
some mods are just straight file replacement. So in that case u need to make a backup of all your files then essentually overwrite the original files with those the mod provides.

some has installers, in which case u run it (usually you have to tell it where u installed RoN) and hope for the best.

finally if you see a mod with an info.xml file amongst the files. Those you need to have a folder called "mods" under your game directory, which u have to create yourself. THEN most of the mods are zip files, all u need to do usually is unzip them into a folder under the mods folder with the folder name as specified (which is usually the same as the name as the zip file without the .zip part)

generally just follow the instruction the author gave in the mod description in the download (or in a file attached to the mod)

posted 08-26-05 06:52 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Montero explains how to install mods (extra useful if you have the spanish version) http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,5001,0,30

This is something I did once to explain how to install a mod for a friend in RoNO, it uses Uthum876's World War 3 mod as the example, I figured this will help new people with mod installing. (I took the liberty to put some advertisements...)

-Download the desired mod

-After it downloads, it'll be a zip file, unzip it.

-After unziping, it'll present a folder named "ww3", simple as that. Copy that folder.

-Now go to your Rise of Nations folder, note, not Thrones and Patriots, RoN.

-There, create a new folder named "mods".

-Now paste "ww3" inside "mods".

-Enter "ww3" and find the folder "art".

-Copy/paste it's entire contents in your RoN or T&P art
folder.

-Now start RoN.

-Go to "Solo game/Quick Battle". There, select the nation you want to play and the nations of other players. (mods replace nations, for instance, in this Mod, if you want to play as the Iranians, you must select the Persians at the Quick Battle menu, most mods come with a list of new nations, NOTE! THIS DOES NOT REPLACE YOUR NATION FILES, nothing in this mod replaces anything)

-Now select "World War 3" from your "mods" tab.

-Then play.

That should do it, most mods are like that, including my own.

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 08-26-2005 @ 06:54 PM).]

posted 04-03-06 00:06 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
Montero Explains how to Mod:
http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=10&tn=5022&f=10,,0,30&st=0

HOW TO MOD UNITS:
Well first off, I''ll start using the Inca as an example:
I modded the Inca and made them the Venezuelan, they get various brand
new UUs, so I'll just explain what I did to acheive this:

First off, you need to backup four files in case you mess up:
-unitrules.xml
-unit_graphics.xml
-help.xml
-soundtypes.xml.
All of them are located in your T&P "data" folder. Or, if you have RoN only, the data folder in side Rise of Nations. C:\Rise of Nations\Data.

Now first you should think of what you want to do, for the Inca, I first made Info Age L. Infantry called "Guardia Nacional". After you got your ideas set up, you should open up the unitrules.xml file with a text editor (I use Notepad), find a unit that's not used in the game or you don't care about, I replaced the
Inca Inti Macemen. Now, find the entry for that unit (simply hit search and type the
unit's name) and replace it's stats with the ones you want it to have, for instance, I changed the Inti's attack to 27 from around 14, specify the requirements
for the unit (they are pretty obvious, in a field named "PREQ" and "PREQ1").
I recommend you find another unit from the same age and copy it's specs, but DON'T
change the "GRAPH" field, it'll just use the other unit's art, portrait and sound, and that's not what you want, aye?
After your done tinkering with the stats (make
sure you type the correct age name in "PREQ", in my case Information Age) save up the new file.
Also, if you want to make your new unit "Unique", just type in a "y" in the "FLAGS" field.

Now you need to go to unit_graphics.xml, specifying the art and animation for all units, find the unit you changed (ex. search=INTIMACEMEN) and change the destination
from which it reads the art files, so, the Inti Macemen's original was
"model=".\art\Macemen.bh3" texture=".\art\Macemen.tga", BH3 is the 3D model and TGA
is the skin for the unit, I replaced those to "model=".\art\modern_shockinfantry.bh3" texture=".\art\modern_shockinfantry.tga"
Make sure you put in the correct name in, this should give your unit that art. Now for the animations, just find a same type of unit (Info Age L. Inf.) and copy/paste it's info in place of the existing ones, they're just below the unit name, after this your unit will look and move correctly, you will also want to change the unit's portrait or asign another unit's one to it,
to do this find 'tex_id="TEX_UNITS_2" tex_col="0" tex_row="4" tex_x="-1" tex_y="-1" tex_clip="0"> or something like that, it depends on the unit. Now if you're gonna asign another unit's portrait, find that unit's tex_id="TEX_UNITS" entry and paste
it over your unit's if you're gonna edit the existing portrait...well that's a bit more comlpicated, leave the current TEX_UNITS,
and go to your art folder, find the Iface_units 01, 02 and 03, open them ALL up with an image editing program (not sure if Paint works, I don't think so, I use Photoshop) there you will find ALL unit's in-game portrait, now find the replaced unit's one, and paste in the one you made, downloaded or whatever, save the file as Targa, and that's it, now save up unit_graphics and on to step 3.

Now, go to soundtypes.xml, the document which specifies the sounds of: attack, selection, creation, etc.
Pretty simple here, just find (again) a unit from the same type and age and paste in their info (for instance, I looked up
the Shock Infantry, on which I had based my entire unit, and pasted it's sounds on top of the former Inti sounds) after that...
you're done with soundtypes.xml! That's it for the complex part, now we go to aesthetics.

Go to help.xml, once again search up your unit's ORIGINAL name (INTIMACEMEN) you should find some text saying:
Inca Unique {Heavy Infantry} and a short description which is the one you see in the game
(Inca Unique {Light Infantry}, Medieval Age #ICON29 - fast, cheap melee troops effective against enemy mounted troops.)
Now replace the nation's name to the one you asigned the new unit, and type in a little description about it, it should look like this:
(Venezuelan Unique {Modern Infantry}, Information Age #ICON34 - fast, rapid-firing soldiers used for Patriotic Defense.)
Or whatever you decide to put in, now lastly see the #ICON34 or #ICON29? That's the Age portrait (Enlightenment: the little
buildings with the V symbol) to change it simply find a unit from that Age and put it's "ICON" (INFO: 34, ENLIGHT: 29, etc)
Afer that, save up and enter RoN, select the nation you added or changed the unit for, start a game and check if it worked, if
not, retrace your steps and make sure everything is in order, hope I was able to help all of you.

Ah yes, important, at the top of the unitrules.xml file is a little "glossasy" which explains what does what, it's very handy for starters. (And experts as well, never forget a good manual).
-------------------------
Some interesting things.

You can asign cultural-art-set-related skins to units (think difference between European and Asian units), all you need to do is create another entry in the unit_graphics.xml file, right after the original entry, but replace the "DEFAULT" part of the unit's name to whatever art set you want it to be, like "ASIAN" for example. So, if you want to give China the US Assault Marines, but with a different skin, all you need to do is:
-Copy the ASSAULTMARINES-DEFAULT-AGE0 [...] entry in it's entirity.
-Paste it just below.
-Now, change ...-DEFAULT... to ASIAN, and asign it a new skin and/or model, just like explained above.

The cultural-related entries would be:
-DEFAULT (European)
-ASIAN
-ARAB (African)
-AMERICAN
-NA (Native North Americans)

-------------------------
Nations' tribe masks are:

100000000000000000000000 Persians
010000000000000000000000 Dutch
001000000000000000000000 Indians
000100000000000000000000 American
000010000000000000000000 Lakota
000001000000000000000000 Iroquois
000000100000000000000000 Mongols
000000010000000000000000 Koreans
000000001000000000000000 Japanesse
000000000100000000000000 Chinese
000000000010000000000000 Russians
000000000001000000000000 Germans
000000000000100000000000 British
000000000000010000000000 French
000000000000001000000000 Spanish
000000000000000100000000 Turks
000000000000000010000000 Egyptians
000000000000000001000000 Romans
000000000000000000100000 Greeks
000000000000000000010000 Nubians
000000000000000000001000 Bantu
000000000000000000000100 Inca
000000000000000000000010 Maya
000000000000000000000001 Aztecs

Thanks to jesus123 for posting the expack tribe mask.
And thanks to ODA for posting jesus123's numbers in his "unnoficial modding FAQ" topic. I added this here to save you the trouble of having to go to ODA's topic to find the masks.

Another update, when modding units, you can determine where they show up their building, for instance, you can add a third unit at the fort or even the barracks (before the Industrial Age, remember Machine Guns and Flamethrowers), to do this, simply look for "" in any unit entry in the unitrules.xml file, and change it to the position you want the unit to be in, this allows you to "add" a new unit while still being able to build a similar unit, for example, you could have two kinds of Musketeers at the Barracks, simultaneously, and so on, the count on the "X Grid" starts at zero, with this format:

[MUSKETEERS] [FUSILIERS] [YOUR NEW UNIT] [ANOTHER NEW UNIT]
______0___________1____________2________________3_________

This article was made on Feb. 4th, 2005 and edited on September 19th, October 1st and October 28th 2005 by Luis M. Montero.

You can discuss this post here:
http://ron.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=10&tn=5022&f=10,5022,0,30&st=0

[This message has been edited by One_Dead_Angel (edited 04-20-2006 @ 00:22 AM).]

Rise of Nations Heaven » Forums » Game Modifications » Unofficial Modding FAQ
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Nations Heaven | HeavenGames