Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: help with fighting romans/civil war
posted 05 July 2006 17:18 EDT (US)   
I am the julii and have 30-31 settlements now, i have like 7/10 with the plebs and with the senate it dropped from 6 to 4-5/10 and i think the civil war will break out soon , i can kill Rome and its army's i think but then the problem with the Bruttii comes... and with the Scipii,
so can somewone give me tips for fighting Romans? i can create post marius troops but i am also bringing back my armies from Spain, Germania, Brittania,... so have a little army with expierence (hastati and stuff) so... tips?????

one land,one king
Replies:
posted 05 July 2006 17:22 EDT (US)     1 / 14  
crank out your best troops. Now.
ONe that I use (In all teh campain, not just civil war) is a general, 2 pret/leigonary cavalry, 2 archers auxillia, 2 Urban, 2 pretonians and the rest leigonaries. I then include a leigonary 1st cohort when I get Rome at teh expence of a normal cohort.

Then I smash through them with better troops, pinning and flanking if I must. Of course, you may want to include more cavalry, as I focus more on infantry in game- the exception being Parthia.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 06 July 2006 04:03 EDT (US)     2 / 14  
At a certain moment I was getting scared of the number of Bruttii troops heading into my territory.

I had about 30 regions, a six on the senate popularity tree, and about 70/80 % on the plebs popularity.

I started to crank out troops for three or four turns, after which I took the initiative myself and start the civil war...

Most of the Brutii armies are driven away from my Italian property.

I only have two problems left :

1. three stacks of Brutii are camping right next door to Ariminum. (1 full, 1 half, and 1 partial stack)
I am a bit afraid to attack it with only 1 full stack of premarius troops and mercenaries.

My finances needs a severe lift. due to the troop cranking, I am working on negative income each turn (because of the army upkeep)

Most of my towns/cities are building stuff.
I guess I will disband half of my army in Britannia, which consisted for the half out of mercenaries, and do the same for a few other armies (sack the mercenary units)

Within a few turns I will capture some Greek cities from the Brutii, so that will help a bit. I captured tylis last turn (will see what that does to my finances)

And my diplomats will have a lot of work doing :

Scythia cancelled his alliance, and won't take trade rights. (whatever I do, it won't work)
Spain tried to treathen me (to get map information for the pathetic sum of 190 Den. together with a 'accept or attack') I kindly declined ...
But will try next turn for trade rights ...

**sigh** Why does my economics fail just right now when I need it the most???

"Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae" (Caesar - De bello Gallico) - of them all (all Gauls), the Belgians are the bravest
posted 06 July 2006 05:01 EDT (US)     3 / 14  
Thanks but i dont have leg/preatorian cavalry, only roman, the Bruttii are still fighting with hastati and stuff but the Scipii have legionaries and stuff so...damn.
I cum up with the idea of the following army:
1 general, 5 legionary's, 3 praetorians, 2 early legionarys, 4 roman cavalry, 2 archers, 2 onagers, 1 triarii
good? i tried against the Brutii in custom battle, i give them a full stack with hastati, principes,...(they dont seem to ave triarii) because they will fight with this army and... i crushed them!

i think i will have no problem with other fations because, i crushed: Spain, Gaul, Brittainia, and the Germans only have 2 settlements left: domus dulcis domus (witch i can crush easely) and Lovosice (that will be a hard battle) does anyone know if Sarmatians and Bastarnae are good?

one land,one king

[This message has been edited by Godfried Van B (edited 07-06-2006 @ 05:05 AM).]

posted 06 July 2006 05:52 EDT (US)     4 / 14  
well I've played with the bastarnae and found them quite good, actually.

"Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae" (Caesar - De bello Gallico) - of them all (all Gauls), the Belgians are the bravest
posted 06 July 2006 08:48 EDT (US)     5 / 14  
@patcherke

your economy falls at this time because you dont have your roman allies to trade with.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!

eeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeee

posted 06 July 2006 10:11 EDT (US)     6 / 14  
@gladiator:
you're completely right, but I did not expect to lose my other trade partners within 2 turns as well ...

to get back to the topic :
The Brutii did not seem to attack my main cities because
a. too much armies nearby,
and b. main cities are well defended (stone walls and a reasonable number of units)

however they did attack Bylazora.
I was stupid enough to autoresolve, resulting in a draw, instead of a victory (which I probably would have if I played the battle myself)

but there are two armies on their way, one to capture Salona, and one to bring relief to Bylazora.
+ in a few turns, the unrest in tylis will have cooled down, so I can capture Byzantium with that army...
After Byzantium, my objectives are appolonia and Thessalonica, which will give me (I hope) the right amount of cash to get back out of the red numbers ...

Godfried : I guess that you will have a number of cities which can train units of the higher levels ...(principes/triarii, archers, and auxillia cavalry or above)
if you have 5 cities, then you will have a decent army within 3 turns.
(I was able to train 3 full stack armies from the settlements I had. (well okay, not all high level units, but still,the Brutii won't have an "all Principes" infantry either ...)

posted 06 July 2006 10:25 EDT (US)     7 / 14  
My advice is to train an obsessive amount of biremes and blockade every Brutii port. Greece is dependant on its sea trade. Strangle this off and the Brutii's funds will wear thinner than yours.

If you need extra funds, don't forget that you can do two things. One is to replace normal troops in conquered territories with simple peasants. The other is to destroy old barracks, stables, and archer ranges you won't be needed any more. (Now this is risky if a settlement goes into rebellion and you can't get any army there for years, but fight the Romans first.)

Also, send that pre-marius army to the battle and slug it out. If you lose... you free about 4000 denarii per turn. If you have mercs, likely more. And this will also thin your enemy troops (I've noticed that not AI is too keen on retraining) as well.

Oh, I almost forgot. See if you can sell a region to an allied or neutral nation. Just pull all but a unit or two out of the territory and then demand a good sum for the region. I can't guarantee you this will work at all, but it is a trick I've used for extra currency before.

"Republicans who did not play the patronage game were ridiculed as the Mugwumps for sitting on the fence--their "mugs" on one side of the fence and "wumps" on the other. Historians generally consider this era a low point in American politics."--United States History by John J. Newman and John M. Schmalbach

[This message has been edited by CK the Fat (edited 07-06-2006 @ 10:26 AM).]

posted 07 July 2006 17:34 EDT (US)     8 / 14  
Good idea, selling a region... Tingi is doing nothing... maybe sel it to chartage or something... do i just have to click on 'give region' and then they will say a price and i say yes/no??? how many do you ask for a settlement??

anyway i had the message 'A Chance For Power' but can i still be allied with the other Romans or will they attack me?? i try to do the Senates misions to get some delay for 'the big war'. i am making armies and leaving al other counry's alone. they have so much full stacks i think it will be a hard battle...

one land,one king
posted 07 July 2006 18:54 EDT (US)     9 / 14  
you can ally with the other two roman factions but you must not be at war with one or the other the ai would rather choose the other roman faction to ally with than you
posted 07 July 2006 19:36 EDT (US)     10 / 14  
The weirdest thing happend to me. I was playing the Brutii and it was just 264 and all the romans got rid of there aliance with me. They didnt go to war we were neutural. i was preparing for civil war but that wasnt necassary and i just asked to become there allies again and they all allied again.

LEO IV
Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
Army Commander
posted 08 July 2006 01:05 EDT (US)     11 / 14  
Hi

@Patcherke

This reply is to your post but maybe of use to Godfried Van B who started this thred.

1) You have one full stack vs 2.5 full Brutii stacks nearby.

-I assume you have a good general with many command stars and you can defeat a lone Brutii stack ? I would attack the stack led by a captain (or weak command general). That means the whole Roman army of 2.5 stacks would be commanded by the weak general.
-Battle quickly to kill each Brutii stack before the others acting as reinforcements can get to you. Take your time with the last one as you will be tired by then.
-Better maybe is attack one of the three Brutii stacks that is unsupportted, or supportted by only one other army.
-If you are beseiged and sally you can kill a lot using wall towers.
- If you can pick off one army at a time try keeping infantry well back and still. Use mobile force to lure enemy and get them running. If a big infantry battle occurs you want to fresher than the Romans and have a big advantage by having a better general. Kill the Roman general before that encounter.

2) Money. Good point about losing trade income once the war starts.
- If you do disband troops the manpower adds to the city.
So where do it where you want extra population.
- Peasants make the most cost efficient garrison.
- Is your capital central to your empire? That will reduce unrest and corruption.
- Crank up tax rates as high as you can without riots. ie red face at 70% public order.
- Capture regions. Any region captured will help finances. Exterminate gives an immediate cash boost.

[This message has been edited by Severous (edited 07-08-2006 @ 01:17 AM).]

posted 08 July 2006 05:39 EDT (US)     12 / 14  
do i just have to click on 'give region' and then they will say a price and i say yes/no??? how many do you ask for a settlement??

one land,one king
posted 08 July 2006 11:30 EDT (US)     13 / 14  
No, you just offer a settlement then demand money. The amount you want/need depends on your current treasury, the status of the map, the difficulty level, and diplomacy.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
posted 09 July 2006 08:19 EDT (US)     14 / 14  
2 more things:
1.should i fight in an open formation (like all on a single line, strched out)or more in an closed formation??? (a bit like the following)

here's my tactic with my army:

1 general, 5 legionary's, 3 praetorians, 2 early legionarys, 4 roman cavalry, 2 archers, 2 onagers, 1 triarii

- - - - - LC
///- - ELC
//- - - PC
////- T
////- G
///- - A
///- - O
RC= roman cavalry
LC= legionary cohort
ELC= early legionary cohort
PC= praetorian cohort
T= trairii
G= gereral
O= onagers
A= archers
/= nothing , i must do it or the comp ****ed the thing op

i use the roman cavalry to flank/kill archers/kill generals/... ( 2 on every side)

good tactic???

2. should i attack Rome itself first (i think i can do it) or first attack the Brutii and then the Scipii and leave Rome for last one?? when i take Rome first i can build good troops and its another strong city, so....????

one land,one king

[This message has been edited by Godfried Van B (edited 07-09-2006 @ 11:53 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » help with fighting romans/civil war
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames