Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Roma Victrix Discussion Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 29 September 2009 04:45 EDT (US)   
Yes, that is correct. A swap story. We have Swap Games all the time, maybe it was time we started a collective work involving a tale.

Here's the basic idea so far:

Setting: Ancient Rome, though on an alternate world. Rome has risen to great heights- many fear her great armies and emperors. Most of the West has fallen to her Iron Eagles, leaving only a few isolated kingdoms in the East as the last known independent states.

The history of Rome to and including Commodus is identical to the actual Roman History, but the similarity stops at Pertinax. In this alternate world, Manius Julius Lupus rose from the Senate to take over after Pertinax was murdered and the throne offered for sale by the corrupt Praetorians. He adopted the cognomen and title of Caesar, and his family had ruled ever since.

There are a lot of holes in the set-up and character descriptions. This is done on purpose. Each writer will then have the wiggle room to grow his/her portion of the story as he/she sees fit. Plus it can give you clues as to what to fill in background-wise if you get stuck.

There will be four threads running on this- one for the story itself, where only the story is posted. I will lock and unlock this as needed to ensure no comments come upon it. There will also be a character thread for quick reference, and a Summary thread of the story so far and comments/instructions on future chapters.These will be stickied, or labeled with the Swap Story Name (Roma Victrix) for easy searching. And then there is the Discussion thread where we whine, bitch, and moan about everything and anything.

What we need to know now is if there exists interest among our scribes here who wish to join in. Also, little things like do we each write a chapter and then compare them, or assign each writer a chapter and have him put it up?

So, any takers? Comments? Volunteers?

Thanks to Legion of Hell for the proposal.

Other threads in this project:
Roma Victrix Maps
About Roma Victrix
Roma Victrix herself

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 01-20-2010 @ 07:53 AM).]

Replies:
posted 29 September 2009 11:41 EDT (US)     1 / 126  
Great idea!

I could even be able to participate myself!

I'd say, go for it!

Especially if the Emperor's name is Lupus!

Okay, I'm gonna calm down and answer one of your points.
Also, little things like do we each write a chapter and then compare them, or assign each writer a chapter and have him put it up?
I would do the normal swap thing - only making it up of course. Everyone takes turns to write a chapter. I would also set a word maximum (guideline) per chapter, otherwise lazy people like me might not be bothered to go through it all.

I would also probably make some rule against antagonising other people. For example, if I write that the Picts completely overrun the province of Britannia and the Emperor abandons it, someone else should not be allowed to say that the Romans then re-invaded and wiped the Picts off the map.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-29-2009 @ 11:45 AM).]

posted 29 September 2009 12:48 EDT (US)     2 / 126  
Does it have to be about Romans...?

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 09-29-2009 @ 12:49 PM).]

posted 29 September 2009 17:22 EDT (US)     3 / 126  
Of course, Andalus. They are de bomb yo Though I would much prefer Republican than Imperial...
But has anyone considered using screenshots from RTW and BI as illustrations?

Anyway, I'm so in!

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 29 September 2009 18:26 EDT (US)     4 / 126  
Ah, I vaguely remeber this idea from a while ago. Depending on how busy I am I might have ago.
I would also probably make some rule against antagonising other people. For example, if I write that the Picts completely overrun the province of Britannia and the Emperor abandons it, someone else should not be allowed to say that the Romans then re-invaded and wiped the Picts off the map.
That would be really boring though, so hopefully you wouldn't get that.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...

[This message has been edited by Ischenous (edited 09-29-2009 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 29 September 2009 19:59 EDT (US)     5 / 126  
It would make a great plot twist though. The Emperor, a dozen legions, a bunch of main and supporting characters all off to the UK, leaving Rome to the tender mercies of the remaining characters, knights (the ordo equester, not King Arthur), elderly senators, corrupt officials, a revolt starting. It'd be great!

I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used á la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
posted 30 September 2009 07:39 EDT (US)     6 / 126  
I would much prefer Republican than Imperial...
Good point, VC. I would too; how about putting the cut-off period in 202BC instead, after Rome's victory over Carthage in the Second Punic War, but just before the outbreak of the First Macedonian War?

Terikel?

posted 30 September 2009 14:50 EDT (US)     7 / 126  
Meybe 100BC, and Saturninus takes power rather than being murdered.

posted 30 September 2009 15:06 EDT (US)     8 / 126  
I can help or chip in with writing and such to an extent.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 30 September 2009 15:45 EDT (US)     9 / 126  
I can see why alternate history is a good idea, as it makes it more fun for the multiple writers if the outcome is open-ended, but I still think there are so many more situations to choose from than just saying Romans from the start. E.g.

- Egypt fights off the invasions from the Libyans and Sea People and continues to thrive such that it remains a dominant power in the classical era.
- Alexander dies at Chaeronea, and Persia remains a powerful threat for many more centuries, with no successor kingdoms.
- Brennus and his Gauls settle in Italy, leaving the Romans a conquered people under oppression.
- Charles Martel is defeated at Tours and the Ummayids continue onwards to raid France, followed by larger armies of conquest.
- Hardrada is defeated at the Battle of Fulford, allowing Harold Godwinson to remain in the south, and defeat the Norman invasion. England remains Saxon.
- Kublai Khan's invasion of Japan succeeds in gaining a foothold and the shogunate must fight against a greatly more mobile and unified foe than their own.

With a swap game there is discussion as to the faction and mod, I think it only right the same should be true for a swap story's setting.
posted 01 October 2009 01:40 EDT (US)     10 / 126  
Much of that is true.

I chose this setting initially because it is open-ended- thus we can decide where it goes, and has a rich historical background (to a point) upon which the writers can draw for inspiration. I am currently writing a new story (should be posted today, in fact) where the only inspiration and historical facts are a one-liner out of Wiki and a name.

Because this is the first one we are going to attempt, I want a good set-up. Legion and I have written the initial chapter, made the character list, and hammered out a few details. Basically, if the interest is there, we can launch.

Following tales can then be decided in committee, with one of you taking the lead for the set-up, intro, and character list. But this being the first, I want to keep it pretty tight and ready-made- just add interest and writers, if you please.
posted 01 October 2009 01:45 EDT (US)     11 / 126  
Fair enough.
posted 01 October 2009 01:53 EDT (US)     12 / 126  
Is there a Scipio in the stroy? If not, can I add one?

posted 02 October 2009 02:18 EDT (US)     13 / 126  
I'd like to join in any discussions if I'm not too busy. 'Tho haven't written anything fictional for a while, so unless inspiration strikes, I might opt out of that.
posted 07 October 2009 01:45 EDT (US)     14 / 126  
So who's in?

Will we each write the next chapter and compare, or take turns?

How will quality control work?

Guidelines? So we don't end up with like every other chapter showing the Army fighting in Egypt, then Britannia, then Egypt, then Britannia, then the guy writing the Egyptian chapters gets pissed off so he makes a cut-scene to Britannia where the opposing general chokes to death on a fishbone.

I know what I want, but I do not want to influence your decisions. So propose things, those who would join. And then I make my proposals, and we all vote on the rules.
posted 07 October 2009 11:40 EDT (US)     15 / 126  
I'm in.

We should take turns.

Quality control is impossible.

I'll leave the rest to you clever civilised people.

posted 07 October 2009 13:06 EDT (US)     16 / 126  
Quality control is not impossible.

There are two ways I can think of without even devoting my dwindling resources of neurons to the task:

1) Each chapter is posted in the Discussion thread, analyzed by the others, pointers given, advise and criticism noted, then it is edited for the second round. When all vote Aye, we post it to the Story Thread.

2) Chapters are submitted to the Swap Story Master, who does the same thing.

See? Easy.

I will break my own idea now:

Personal preference: Option 2.

Guidelines to story options: to be determined by a Swap Story Master who develops the plot line and gives the assignment to the next writer in line.

Guidelines include : who may be killed, who must live through the chapter, a quick explanation of major events to be covered

Guidelines will not include: what exactly the writer must portray, how the writer comes to the end of the chapter, or why certain events happen.

Also: viewpoint. Must be consistant. Given the number of characters and writers involved, first person is probably out. I suggest third person narrative.
posted 07 October 2009 22:17 EDT (US)     17 / 126  
Option 2 will be quicker, so yeah. Anyway, I'm very in. For the Scipii!!!

posted 07 October 2009 23:05 EDT (US)     18 / 126  
Yeah, but option 1 will be a lot more fun. Plus, with suggestions and input from more people, we should get more continuity and maybe some good ideas or plot twists. But yeah, there's the risk of discussion making it impossible to finish a chapter.

How about a mix of the two? Chapters are posted up and discussed, edited by the writer(s) as it's up there. But Story Master gets final say, and sets a deadline if the discussion for a chapter is going on too long in his opinion (should be at SM's discretion, not a set period of time, since some chapters may be longer/flow differently, etc).
posted 08 October 2009 03:07 EDT (US)     19 / 126  
Guidelines include : who may be killed, who must live through the chapter, a quick explanation of major events to be covered
I don't agree with that. That means that we don't get to actually create anything ourselves, just rewrite what the Story Master wants.

Otherwise, I think that would work.

posted 08 October 2009 03:39 EDT (US)     20 / 126  
Bovine feces and other exclamations.

The guidelines have the purpose of giving direction and keeping coherence, as well as a bit of inspiration.

The How part- as well as any side actions- are purely in the realm of the writer.

Typical Guidelines:

Chapter IV
May be killed if desired: Joe Schmoe, Albus Beogard
Must Live: Hiram Billingsworth, Jesse Owens
Major events: The Battle of Upper Lowdonia between Schmoe and Beogard.

or

Chapter VII
May be killed if desired: Joe Schmoe, Hiram Billingsworth, Albus Beogard
Must Live: Jesse Owens
Major events: the occupation and rebellion of Upper Lowdonia

Notice that the victor of the battle is not given. The writer can decide that. Also, the writer has the option of creating new characters as needed. We will add these to the Character List thread for future reference.

Each chapter guideline will be given after the previous chapter is posted- so the Story master can see and decide which events are triggered by the previous chapter.

So you see, the writers have a lot of creative room.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-08-2009 @ 03:46 AM).]

posted 09 October 2009 00:40 EDT (US)     21 / 126  
Doesnt faeces have an 'a'?

posted 09 October 2009 01:09 EDT (US)     22 / 126  
Yes it does.

Shame on you Terikel.

Now let's stop spamming.

posted 09 October 2009 08:37 EDT (US)     23 / 126  
It depends if you use an American dictionary (feces) or a British one (faeces).

Mine is American.

So for me, feces is correct.

/language lesson.

Now, back to the post. Anybody with any comments that are on-topic and do not reek of packaged ham for which I will begin formal banning procedures?
posted 09 October 2009 13:11 EDT (US)     24 / 126  
No.

posted 09 October 2009 16:13 EDT (US)     25 / 126  
We should decide whether to do this in American or English, shouldnt we?

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Roma Victrix Discussion Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames