You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Great Peloponnesian War: Volume II- The False Peace.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 25 January 2010 17:56 EDT (US)   
THE GREAT PELOPONNESIAN WAR

VOLUME II: THE FALSE PEACE

Prologue- The Peace Of Nicias.

After the battle the strategos, Cleon was buried in Athens, given full honours in recognition of his exploits to his people. Brasidas was buried at Amphipolis where the townspeople decided to build a monument to him after his great achievements during the war. The death of Brasidas and Cleon however proved to be a blessing in disguise for these two figures, which were likely to object an end to the war, were now dead. The Spartans, who were thinking of sending an army, decided not to when hearing Brasidas had been killed. Once the Athenians heard of their disastrous defeat at Amphipolis they too wanted peace.

For the Spartans they had multiple reasons in seeking an end to the conflict. Firstly the Peloponnesian navy no longer existed after the brutal defeat at Pylos and the marauding presence of the Athenian fleet. The Athenian ships based in Pylos and Cythera could launch raids along the Peloponnesian coast. The helots were deserting in significant numbers, which could unleash a helot rebellion that worried them greatly. But there were also new threats that persuaded Sparta to seek peace.

There were two things Spartans really feared: a helot rebellion and a war against their arch rivals Argos. The Thirty Years Treaty that had been signed between Sparta and Argos was nearing expiration. The Argives however were demanding that Cynuria, based on the eastern coast of the Peloponnesus, be restored to them if the treaty were to be renewed. The Spartans knew this demand was unacceptable, but if the Argives threatened war then they could enact a deadly diplomatic push: an alliance with Athens. Sparta was also worried internally as they had been quarreling with their allies: most notably the democratic kingdoms of Mantinea and Elis. If a war arose between Sparta and Argos then Mantinea and Elis’ allegiances would be unclear.

But in the rich districts of Sparta there were also selfish reasons to want peace. Many of the elite families of Sparta had loved ones who were taken prisoner by the Athenians. They wanted an exchange of prisoners so to retrieve their loved ones and make more money. One of the Spartan kings Pleistoanax also wanted peace because while Sparta was at war, his enemies would bring up his exile in 445. He was sent into exile after being found guilty of bribery after receiving money not to invade Attica in 445. Now his exile was over his enemies still attacked him with his past. If peace was achieved then he hoped his enemies would stop slandering his name whenever Sparta suffered a defeat in battle.

But the Athenians also had their reasons for peace.

Although the lands of Attica had enjoyed no invasions since the victory at Pylos, with their treasury remaining healthy after raising the tribute levy, most Athenians sought an end to the war. This was after suffering reverses in the last eighteen months at Amphipolis, Megara and Delium. There were still those that were scared of uprisings in the Aegean or Asia Minor territories like the one in Mytilene. In addition the war faction in Athens was now weak with the death of Cleon along with the string of defeats and heavy losses.

It left the moderates, led by Nicias, the perfect chance to make peace. Nicias was a pious man, well respected by friend or foe, a cautious thinker and one who never made rash decisions unlike Cleon. The Athenian who was now nearing the age of fifty wanted peace and was aware that his fellow countrymen desired it as well. As the new year of 421 approached it signalled the milestone of ten years at war. Within this period, several thousand Athenians had been killed by war and the plague. Attica had also been damaged by Spartan incursions along with vast sums of money had been spent to prosecute the war with great gusto.

However when 421 approached the Spartans pushed for a negotiated peace, which left some Athenians reluctant to accept. However, a risky Spartan feint to Attica, that Athens could have responded by killing their prisoners, soon persuaded the Athenians to seek a fair peace. It was in early March that the Spartan and Athenian delegation finally sought out a lasting peace. As the Spartan agora ratified the treaty, a herald was sent to the Pnyx where a debate was held deciding on whether to accept it. The herald read out the document to the Athenian citizens perched on the outdoor agora:

“The Peace Of Nicias that has been agreed by the delegations of Sparta and Athens is a peace that shall bring an end to the war and suffering Greece has endured. The terms of the treaty that is to last for fifty years are as follows:

1) The temple of Apollo at Delphi is to be allowed free access along with other common shrines throughout Greece.

2) The border fort of Panactum along the Attica-Boeotian border is to be restored to Athens. Torone, Scione and the towns in the Thracian sector capture by Sparta shall be ceded to Athens. The people of the Thracian towns are free to leave and take their property with them if they wish. The towns in Thrace however are allowed to pay the original tribute pre-425 and not the extension enacted by Cleon. These towns are to stay neutral and neither will side with Sparta nor Athens.

3) Athens shall give the towns of the Chalcidice region greater autonomy so to stop their revolting ways. The bases at Cythera, Pylos and Methana along the Peloponnesian coast shall be ceded to the Spartan Alliance.

4) Prisoners are to be exchanged between Sparta, Athens and their allies.

This treaty shall be known, as the Peace Of Nicias, which is in recognition of the efforts of Nicias who has striven to achieve peace in Greece. Let it be known that peace will be brought across Greece and mutual understanding be continued between the city-states of this land. Below is the Greek world that we will live in when peace is achieved.

And so on the 12th March 421 BCE the Pnyx ratified the Peace Of Nicias and peace reigned throughout the realm of Greece. Those cities that had so bitterly fought in the war cheered as they lay down their arms and looked forward to finally enjoying a peaceful life. The Athenians cheered Nicias who felt was the spearhead of peace.

But in the dark midst outside the euphoria and jubilation there were those who sneered at the peace treaty. These elements now agreed on one thing: that they were committed to break up the Peace Of Nicias. They would make sure that war and chaos would be unleashed amongst the Greeks once again.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 01-29-2010 @ 07:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 27 January 2010 07:35 EDT (US)     1 / 44  
Nice LoH, I enjoyed reading it. I look forward to the next instalment, I commend you for carrying on with this for so long as I know how difficult it can be to maintain interest in something so lengthy.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 27 January 2010 07:54 EDT (US)     2 / 44  
Thanks, Afty. Have you read the whole of the first volume seeing this is the first time you have replied to my story?

How's the AAR's going?

EDIT- Ah, yes that reminds me. Terikel, do you know in your Batavian revolt story you spilt it up into eight chunks, but you always put links at the end of your story? I want to do that but I don't know how do that?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 01-27-2010 @ 07:56 AM).]

posted 27 January 2010 08:21 EDT (US)     3 / 44  
Nice prologue.

You mean like this:
1- They Come
2- Vengeance at Traiectum
3- Betrayal on the Border
4- Batavia Rises
5- Homeward Bound
6- The Long Road to Castra Vetera
7- Sunrise at Bedriacum
8- And yet, I was once our emperor
9- Midwinter Misery and Madness
10-Prophecies Fulfilled
11- The Little War
12- The Broken Bridge
It's like this:
1- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7249,,all]They Come[/url]
2- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7257,,all]Vengeance at Traiectum[/url]
3- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7274,,all]Betrayal on the Border[/url]
4- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7280,,all]Batavia Rises[/url]
5- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7290,,20]Homeward Bound[/url]
6- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7562,,20]The Long Road to Castra Vetera[/url]
7- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7582,,20] Sunrise at Bedriacum [/url]
8- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7671,0,20]And yet, I was once our emperor[/url]
9- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=10&tn=7699&f=10,7699,0,20]Midwinter Misery and Madness[/url]
10-[url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7712,,20]Prophecies Fulfilled[/url]
11-[url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7719,,20] The Little War[/url]
12- [url=http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=10,7736,,20]The Broken Bridge[/url]
posted 27 January 2010 08:49 EDT (US)     4 / 44  
Thanks, Edorix!

I have to admit the second volume will be mainly diplomatic activity and very few battles sadly. Also for those who might think there are some names that are inaccurate historically then that's true.

This story is 90% accurate. The other 10% are names that are either rank and file of armies or names of a person where that person's achievements did happen, but the name is inaccurate mainly because I don't know their name.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 01-27-2010 @ 08:55 AM).]

posted 27 January 2010 12:10 EDT (US)     5 / 44  
Just a word of warning. The next few chapters has a lot of diplomatic activity, so I'm really sorry if you do get a bit confused.

Sorry for the double post!

Chapter One: The Unravelling Of Peace.

Sparta basked in a warm spring afternoon, as a special meeting of the assembly was taking place in the grand city of Sparta. Throughout the agora many men were in attendance sitting in an oval arena, with the attending citizens and speakers numbered several thousand. The gerousia: thirty men elected from the aristocratic nobles and citizens of Sparta were in attendance as they awaited Clearidas' arrival.

“How come we have been called in for a special session?” asked a grizzled man. A tall, but stocky person next to the one eyed Spartan, turned to look at him.

“It’s supposed to be something about the treaty, I guess,” was the reply. The disfigured Spartan who had asked the question was bemused.

“Treaty?” he coughed. “I thought that business had already been approved? Both Athens and Sparta agreed to peace and now we can enjoy life,” The skinny man sighed and shook his head. This grizzled man epitomized the warrior Spartan: brave, but sometimes not very smart.

“There has been trouble regarding the peace of Nicias,” he replied. The one eyed person looked confused.

“The peace treaty, you damn fool!” the tall man replied.

“Don’t call me a fool,” the one eye man growled. “My name is Ajax. I lost my eye at Naupactus. So tell me, why is the apella discussing the peace treaty?” The tall man looked at Ajax’s eye with some unease. But he began to speak knowing if he kept on staring at the man’s eye then blood would be split very quickly.

“Well, Ajax,” he began. “A few weeks after the treaty was approved by both sides, a lot of complications have seemed to arise. The Thracian towns have refused to hand over the towns to Sparta and Clearidas is rumoured to not want to force those rebelling towns to be handed over to Athens.

“If Brasidas was here he would know what to do,” Ajax chuckled. “He would draw his sword and smite any Athenian in his way!” The tall man smiled in agreement.

“Aye, he would,” he replied. But before Ajax could tell tales of his memories at sea a loud hush descended across the agora. From the mob of Spartans that surrounded the arena a man came forward to address the crowd. He wore his military uniform, with his helmet perched along his hand and his sword sheathed. As he walked forward the dull sound of his gear clinking reverberated across the silent room. As he stopped he saluted to the ephors of Sparta.

“Clearidas, commander of the Spartan forces at Thrace!” boomed the lead ephor. “You are hereby called to Sparta to answer charges that you are deliberately inciting the towns in Thrace to rebel against the treaty that stipulates all Thracian towns are to be handed over to Athens. Why is this?”

“I have no control over the Thracian towns!” Clearidas replied defiantly. “I only control Amphipolis for I was ordered to go there during the attack on Thrace. All the commanders that were sent to the Thracian towns so to administer it are now dead,” There was the usual murmuring amongst the Spartan citizens. They did agree with Clearidas’ case and so did the ephors.

“But I also ask of you to change one of the points in the treaty. The Athenians did allow us to mediate if there were things that we did not mutually agree on?” Clearidas enquired. Many were now intrigued at this suggestion. There were those in Sparta who knew that peace had to be sought, but there were a small minority that were committed to the destruction of the Athenian Empire.

“You may ask your request,” said one of the ephors.

“Thank you,” Clearidas replied curtly. “I know the peace of Nicias says I must hand over Amphipolis. But what if the other Thracian towns are against it? If the presence of the Peloponnesian army in Thrace is gone then violence could flare up once again. I move that if I cannot restore Amphipolis to Athens then Peloponnesians are not permitted to leave the city,” There was a small hush and then a crescendo of cheers. The ephors looked at one another.

“Your request is agreed,” was the reply. Clearidas smiled. He wanted Amphipolis to be under Spartan control, but knew he had to tread carefully for Athens could unleash war. However his bluff had worked. But by deciding not to restore Amphipolis immediately to Athens Sparta had broken the treaty.

The allies of Sparta also were furious at the treaty and completely rejected the agreement. The Megarians were angry that the Athenians could keep the town of Nisaea, a lucrative trade route to the rich lands of the east. Elis rejected the peace for they still had a dispute with Sparta. Corinth had lost considerable power during the war with their colonies of Potidaea in Thrace along with Sollium and Athens with her allies had captured Anactorium in the northwest.

The Boeotians led by the powerful Thebans rejected the handover of the border fort along their frontier with Athens or even exchange prisoners. Theban prestige had risen since the start of the war after their victories at Delium and wanted Athens’ power to be destroyed. To do this they would need to be at war and not peace. The Spartans were worried. Their allies didn’t want peace and were eager to bear arms to Athens. It was here that the people of Sparta adopted a radical solution.

A dispatch rider arrived on horseback as he surveyed the magnificent city of Corinth. The horseman galloped through the paved streets, past the city guards and to the rich quarter where the elites of Corinth resided. It was here that his master lives, a Corinthian magistrate and a veteran who fought at Sybota as a naval captain. The rider would make sure he would tell the Corinthian of what had happened.

“What did the Spartans do!” said a Corinthian envoy spluttering his wine. “They offered an alliance to the Athenians?” The rider nodded.

“A fifty year defensive alliance,” he answered. “Both states are to defend each other from attack against an enemy, which will be viewed as a opponent of the alliance. The Athenians have agreed to it and even have handed over the prisoners they took at Pylos,” The Corinthian shook his head ruefully. The Spartans were trying to wriggle their way out of the problem of the Argives and internal problems within the Peloponnesian League. The envoy had been one of the witnesses to the signing of the peace. He had been annoyed by Sparta’s willingness to peace when Corinth had suffered greatly and had lost colonies to the wretched Athenians.

“So, Sparta tries to hark back to the days when Greece was united with alliance against their once close ally, the Athenians?” he chuckled, taking a large swig of wine. “Wait one moment, will you?” The envoy ran into the main villa, for both of them were outside enjoying the radiant sun. After a while he arrived with a letter.

“You have done your job well, rider!” he replied to the messenger. “But I have another task for you. I need you to ride to Argos,”

“Argos?” the rider grumbled, tired after his journey into Athens. “What would you have me do there?”

“To rendezvous with the magistrates of Argos,” the Corinthian replied, handing him the letter. “The seal that binds this scroll is important, rider! Do not open it while you journey across the Peloponnesus,”

“My name is Aromas!” the young rider said impatiently. “So you can stop calling me rider,” The envoy growled. He didn’t have time for this.

“I don’t care if your name is Xerxes, master of the Persians!” he imploded. “This seal when you show it to the Argive assembly will inform them that the scroll is from the highest echelons of Corinth. So if you do your business you will get your pay!”

“Why can’t you pay half now, half when I finished the task like last time?” Aromas said annoyingly. The envoy gritted his teeth. The rider was close to being dead.

“Because the last person who tried to spin me that line found himself castrated after he double crossed me,” the Corinthian said viciously. Aromas gulped.

“I’ll be on my way then,” the rider said, as he scampered onto his horse.

Liras, the envoy who had handed Aromas the letter, was waiting in the outskirts of Argos. The scroll that Aromas had sent to Argos had been a request to meet with the magistrates of Argos to discuss what to do about the Peace Of Nicias. Liras knew his countrymen were deeply opposed to the treaty. He was well aware that Argos’ treaty with Sparta was expiring and the possibility of renewing it had proves so far elusive. Liras had written this before Aromas had informed him of the Spartan-Athenian alliance. The reply from the Argives had pleased Liras for they were willing to meet with Liras and a few of his fellow Corinthians, but in a secluded place. Now he was outside a one-floor shanty house on the outskirts of Argos with one of his fellow men.

“When are they going to arrive?” moaned Aris.

“They’ll be here!” Liras replied irritatingly. “Patience isn’t one of your strong points,” Aris shook his head, but before he could reply they heard the sound of hooves clattering along the dirt road. Both Corinthians looked to their left and saw a rider heading towards them. He was cloaked in black and Liras shuddered for a moment, as he looked menacingly. The rider pulled back the reins in front of the Corinthians, as the horse neighed wildly. The horseman dismounted and saluted at Liras.

“Greetings, Liras,” he smiled. “I’m sorry that we have to meet privately, but this is important business,”

“I understand, Dexos,” Liras replied. “May I introduce Aris, a friend of mine,” Dexos courteously nodded at Aris. All three men went into the shack that was deserted apart from three wooden seats that had been carved out of a tree.

“So what brings you here to Argos?” Dexos asked. “We already know about the Spartan alliance with Athens,”

“Then you know that is a grave mistake,” Liras said. Dexos nodded.

“I wholeheartedly agree,” Dexos said. “But what are we to do?”

“There is a way,” Aris grinned. The Argive looked at the Corinthian.

“Oh?”

“The Spartans plan to enslave the Peloponnesus with this alliance and we do not want that at all,” Liras explained. “The Spartans only wanted to ally with the Athenians so to isolate you in the Peloponnesus. They feel by coshing up with Athens you will be by yourself. But they’ve forgot one minor detail,”

“What?” Dexos said, eager to see the grand Corinthian plan.

“That Argos is not a pushover,” Aris blurted out to Liras’ annoyance. But he allowed Aris to continue. “To counter the Spartans Argos should launch a new power bloc: a coalition to champion the freedom of the Peloponnesus. Your people will drive a wedge straight through the two power blocs: the Peloponnesian League and Athenian Empire. The Argive League it shall be called, but we need to get the states of Peloponnesus to join in a defensive alliance so to protect the region from Sparta,”

“Interesting,” Dexos replied. “A new league would definitely worry the Spartans. But apart from you Corinthians, what states in the Peloponnesus would join?”

“The Mantineans,” Liras answered. “They are in dispute with Sparta over their expansion of their lands, fighting a war against Tegea. They would feel by joining the League, it will provide Mantinea the protection they need, for you share a frontier with them, do you not?” Dexos nodded.

“Very well!” he said, standing up so to end the meeting. “I shall go to the Argive assembly and try to push this plan,” Liras nodded, as the two Corinthians accompanied Dexos outside the house.

“Have a safe journey,” Aris smiled, as Dexos mounted on his horse.

“The same to both of you,” Dexos said, as he rode his horse down the road. As the Argive magistrate rode out of view the Corinthian envoys looked at one another.

“Do you think he’ll persuade the Argive assembly?” Aris said. “They do have a democratic constitution and that can be a stumbling block,” Liras sighed.

“I think they will agree,” he said. “It just depends on the states of the Peloponnesus and whether they agree to join the League. But we’ll have to wait and see. But one thing is for sure. If we do destabilize the peace of Nicias the towns that we have lost in the northwest and at Potidaea will be in Corinthian hands or under our influence,”

Mantinea agreed to join the Argive League and their defection from the Spartan Alliance caused great worry, as the ephors and gerousia of Sparta were furious at their ally Corinth trying to wreck the Nicias peace. They warned Corinth that their new collaboration with Argos violated the oaths that bounded them with the rule of Sparta in the Peloponnesian League. The Argive assembly agreed with Dexos’ plan of a new pact with the states of the Peloponnesus. They appointed twelve men with powers to make an alliance with any state apart from Sparta and Athens, who could only get an alliance with the consent of the assembly.

Many Argives felt that war was certain with Sparta. Their demand that Cynuria be ceded to them had been refused. Many now felt there was no chance to renew the Thirty Years Treaty and so they took steps to prepare for war. They created by public expense an elite corps of a thousand young men that would be able to stand up to the notorious Spartan phalanx. Argos shared Corinth’s vision of the Peloponnesus. Despite the Corinthian envoys trying to persuade the Corinthian state to enter the Argive League, the conservative base in Corinth was reluctant.

Although the Corinthian envoys had been trying to get their state to secede from the Spartan Alliance their superiors told them that Corinth would not join the Argive League, along with the Chalcidice towns in Thrace that were pro-Corinthians, until other oligarchic states would join. However the state of Elis whose values were oligarchic, but their constitution democratic, joined the Argive League. This was done only because Corinth had allied with Elis and the Eleans were ordered by the Corinthians to join the league. It was from the admission of Elis into the Argive League that Corinth along with some of the Chalcidice towns entered it as well.

But in summer 421 Corinth’s efforts to try and get the Argive League up and running suffered a severe blow when Boeotia and Megara refused to join, as they were put off by the democratic constitution of Argos. The state of Tegea that was purely oligarchic also refused because they were afraid that if Sparta declared war on the Argive League, the Tegeans who bordered Laconia where the city of Sparta was would be the first target of Sparta’s armies. Corinth were now thinking that the Argive League would flounder before it even started and made one last ditch attempt. They tried to persuade Boeotia to join the alliance while get Athens to implement a series of ten days truces that Athens had embarked on with Boeotia.

The Boeotians were cautious on joining the League, but did ask Athens to get a series of ten-day truces with Corinth. Athens brushed them off stating if Corinth were in the Spartan Alliance then they already were in a state of peace with Athens due to the Peace of Nicias. The Corinthians were not pleased for they tried to trick Boeotia into angering the Athenians and breaking off the ten-day truce agreement with Boeotia. It would leave Boeotia unprotected and would force them to go into the Argive League.

However that hope was extinguished. For Athens meanwhile there was grumbling about the volatile Chalcidice region. The siege of Scione that had been under siege since 423 ended with Athenian victory, but it did little to calm down the anti Athenian sentiment in Thrace. In addition Sparta still hadn’t ceded Amphipolis to Athens, but they couldn’t attack it, for it would erupt once again.

However the Spartans were annoyed at the dissident states in the Peloponnesus and clamped down on the Mantineans by destroying a border fort. They also proceeded to secure the helot country. But there was one problem: the arrival of Brasidas veterans under the command of Clearidas who were helots and had been promised their freedom for their service.

These were the neodamodeis: the liberated helots.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 01-28-2010 @ 11:00 AM).]

posted 27 January 2010 18:16 EDT (US)     6 / 44  
Another good update, I always say speech is the hardest part of a story to write interestingly and well.
Thanks, Afty. Have you read the whole of the first volume seeing this is the first time you have replied to my story?

How's the AAR's going?
Yeah I have read it, although I didn't follow it from the start I got caught up over the past couple of weeks. As for the AAR I'm chuntering along.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 28 January 2010 09:27 EDT (US)     7 / 44  
Nice beginning of the second volume. Very informative, and flows without getting too dry. The intrigue builds well, too.

I found these minor points. They are presented in the format your line, my advice, (why):

From first section:

because while Sparta were at war
Sparta was at war
(Sparta is singular)

Now as his exile
Now that his exile
(that is more correct)

and never made rash decisions
and one who never made rash decisions
(clearer diction)

Within this period several thousand
Within this period, several thousand
(coma needed)

However a risky Spartan feint to Attica, that Athens could have responded by killing their prisoners
However, a risky Spartan feint to Attica, to which Athens could have responded by killing their prisoners
(grammar)

Spartan agora ratified the treaty a herald was
Spartan agora ratified the treaty, a herald was
(comma)

From second installment:
you are deliberately perpetrating the towns
you are deliberately inciting (or instigating-your choice) the towns
(inciting/instigating means getting one to perform an act they had not thought of doing, while perpetrating is the same as committing)

Because the last time who tried to spin me that line
Because the last one who tried to spin me that line
(time spins nothing. You meant either the last time someone tried to spin, or the last one who tried)

series of ten days truces
series of ten-day truces
(the truces last ten days, thus they are ten-day truces)

The Corinthians were not pleased for they
The Corinthians were not pleased, for they
(comma needed)

Otherwise nice!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 28 January 2010 11:02 EDT (US)     8 / 44  
Thanks for your feedback. Edited most of your corrections, Terikel.

posted 29 January 2010 19:22 EDT (US)     9 / 44  
A small chapter this time so to appease the people of TWH.

Enjoy.

Chapter Two: Complex Diplomacy

The liberated helots who came back from fighting in the Thracian campaign had been settled in the Elean-Spartan frontier, but the Spartan citizens were suspicious of these helots, as well as those prisoners returned from Athens. Surrendering had dishonoured these captured men and because of it even had some of their rights taken away. During the last few years the rise of non-Spartiate in society grew and pure Spartiates fell. But despite the Spartan male population dropping there was even more pressing commitments.

In Athens, anger was growing in the city, for they were getting frustrated at Sparta not carrying out the obligations stated to them in the peace of Nicias. The Spartans had promised to get Corinth, Boeotia and Megara to accept the peace agreement. But they had not lived up to it. In Amphipolis the situation there infuriated the Athenians. Instead of the town being handed over to Athens Clearidas had simply withdrew the army. There were those in Athens who felt if Cleon was alive he would make sure this would not be accepted

It was clear for Athens that Sparta had broken the treaty first. Because of it they refused to hand over Pylos and regretted handing over their prisoners. But Sparta still asked Athens to hand over Pylos or at least remove the Messenians and escaped helots out of the island. The Athenians didn’t like this, but the peace factions in the Pnyx carried the day and the Messenians with the escaped helots were moved to another island.

But as the Athenians were trying to appease the Spartans by moving troops out of Pylos, elements within Sparta were trying to resume hostilities. In autumn 421 the peace faction in Sparta had called a conference that included Sparta, Athens, her allies including Corinth and Boeotia to try and get the states in the Peloponnesian League to accept the peace of Nicias. But it was to fail. This would only heighten those Spartans who believed war and not peace was better for Sparta.

Xenares and Cleobulus were in a villa near one of Sparta’s richer districts. They were acting in secret, but they had good reason to. These two men were two of the five Spartan ephors: those were elected by the assembly and could be an ephor once with their term being just one year. They were powerful figures and were the bridge between the two kings of Sparta that regularly had disputes with each other.

But Xenares and Cleobulus were eager to break off the treaty and exploit an opportunity to renew war against Athens. The opportunity came after the failure of the conference. After the conference the two ephors secretly invited the Boeotian and Corinthian envoys for a secret meeting at their villa. As the two Spartans were getting impatient, a servant then arrived into the main room.

“They have arrived,” he said. Xenares nodded, ordering the servant to let him in and not to let anyone in. After a few moments two envoys: one from Boeotia and the other from Corinth arrived. The Corinthian was Liras, while the Boeotian was a sprightly plump man by the name of Perius. After the pleasantries were set aside they went straight into the main points regarding why Perius and Liras had been summoned to this secret meeting without the approval of the Spartan assembly.

“I am intrigued to know the meaning of these talks,” began Liras. “The Spartan assembly definitely doesn’t know about you ephors conducting this secret meeting,” Xenares merely chuckled.

“Let us say that if word was to come out of what we propose, then we will likely be placed under arrest,” came the reply. Perius grunted.

“Our country sued for peace, but not that we were encircled,” Cleobulus said defiantly. “Mainly from the rather unfortunate situation we were in. We sought peace after the humiliation of Spartan prisoners at Pylos along with the threat of Argos when it looked like the Thirty Years Treaty wouldn’t be renewed. But due to the peace of Nicias, those prisoners from Pylos have been retrieved, although Argos does remain an irritating thorn for us,”

“What is it that you seek, ephor?” Perius said irritatingly.

“That Boeotia, along with Corinth, co-operate with Sparta,” Xenares waded in, starting to get annoyed at Perius. “Along with Boeotia trying to forge an alliance with Argos. From this you will motion the Argives to ally with Sparta,” Liras looked curiously at the ephors. Perius seized upon this confusing request.

“Argos to seek an alliance with Sparta?” he said confusingly. “Your bitter rivals?” The two ephors nodded.

“A treaty with the Argives will allow the Spartan Alliance to fight outside of the Peloponnesus should it come to war with Athens,” Xenares explained. “If Argos is still hostile to Sparta, by the time war is declared on Athens, then Spartan forces will be tied down trying to contain the Argives,” Perius now seemed more receptive to this argument. Liras didn’t do anything, but listened, not wanting to commit to anything.

“But we need Panactum to be ceded to Sparta so that we can exchange it for Pylos,” Cleobulus explained. “Once Pylos is in Spartan hands it puts us in a better position to declare war on Athens,” Perius agreed quickly. Liras looked at his face and thought it odd he should agree so willingly. But Liras knew that although the federal council of Boeotia were divided about renewing the war, Perius shared little respect for the Athenians. As the meeting winded down the two envoys left and took the road out of Sparta. But as they did so two high ranking Argive magistrates stopped them.

The Argives wanted Boeotia along with Corinth to ally with Argos, but for different reasons: mainly domination of the Peloponnesus. However the Corinthians (along with their Chalcidice towns) the Megarians and Boeotians made a treaty of assistance to one another and then once it was signed, would make an alliance with Argos. But when the Boeotians presented the mutual assistance treaty to the federal council, which passed laws, those elites within Boeotia thought the council would approve it.

But they didn’t. In fact they rejected it outright.

The thinking of the federal council was brutally simple. If they agreed with the pact then it would seriously anger the Spartans that Boeotia swore oaths from states who had seceded from the Spartan Alliance. The whole mutual assistance pact was broken with Corinth, Argos and Boeotia feeling it had all been a waste of time.

Meanwhile the Spartans, those factions wanted war as well those who sought peace, were eager to get the crucial port of Pylos. It was hoped that if Boeotia could be persuaded to hand over Panactum along with their prisoners to the Athenians, then Pylos would be given to Sparta. In March 420 the Spartans sent an official embassy to Boeotia so to get concessions in the form of Panactum and Athenian prisoners.

“We won’t return Panactum or the prisoners until Sparta makes a treaty with Boeotia,” said a Boeotian council member. The Spartan envoy gritted his teeth. He knew this would blatantly violate the Peace of Nicias. The Boeotians were making it difficult for him. He thought whether they were deliberately trying to plunge Greece into war.

“However we are willing for an alliance to be forged between the two states,” another council member stated. The envoy looked up. An alliance was tempting and it would help them switch Panactum to Athens and therefore cede Pylos to Sparta.

“Very well,” the Spartan envoy nodded.

“Then it is settled,” the lead councilor boomed. “The alliance shall be signed with Sparta protecting Boeotia against an attack,” As the Spartans was content with the alliance; little did they know that Boeotia was to use deception that invoked memories of Brasidas’ trickery to woo the Thracian towns.

Dexos waited impatiently along the road to Argos. He had been given a letter informing him to be outside the city at the allocated time. It was said that in the letter they had information that would be in Argos’ interest. Dexos was starting to get impatient, as he had waited for a while. It had rained heavily, but had ceased not long ago. The road had now turned muddy and knew it could turn impassable if it rained so mercilessly like this soon. Suddenly as his thoughts pondered elsewhere, he saw a rider galloping from the north, the horse’s hooves kicking bits of mud into the air. The horseman pulled back the reins and nodded to the Argive.

“My apologies at being late,” he said, dismounting from his steed. “These damned roads are sheer murder when heavy rain mucks it up,” The Argive magistrate nodded understandably.

“But anyway, I have news,” the rider said, handing over a small letter, patched by a red seal. Dexos opened it and began to read.

“The fort of Panactum has been demolished by the Boeotians. The Spartans have also conducted a alliance with Boeotia as well. They are also in talks with Athens about seeking better ties as well.

Dexos fumed at this. The Boeotians, who didn’t follow up their promises of signing an alliance with Argos, had greatly irritated him. Now with this revelation the Argives were alone and had been betrayed. Several thoughts raced through his mind. In his view the treaty between Sparta and Boeotia had been meant to isolate Argos and break up the newly founded Argive League. Dexos didn’t want a Peloponnesian alliance of several states, led by Sparta, to invade Argos. He dismissed the rider, as Dexos got on his horse and galloped into the city to tell of what he had just heard.

“We have been deceived by certain forces like Athens, Sparta and Boeotia!” shouted one member in the assembly. The men of Argos were in heated debate on what to do after hearing of the alliance. “It was stated in the peace of Nicias that Sparta can’t make an alliance without agreement from Athens. I doubt they would agree to that!”

“I say we go to war!” one exuberant citizen roared excitingly, whipped up by nationalistic sentiment.

“How can we do that?” said Dexos annoyingly. “There is a possibility that Sparta might woo back those states in the Argive League leaving us encircled,” A grim hush then descended, people shuddering upon seeing that vision. There were no more nationalistic calls of war after that.

“We are at a disadvantage and can only bargain from a position of weakness,” Dexos continued. “In my view the only path to salvage something from this, which have harmed us greatly, is to send envoys to Sparta,” There was some uneasiness among Argives at this.

“I motion that we send envoys without delay to Sparta so that we can request a agreement, reinforcing the old Thirty Years treaty, with a new improved one,”

“And why should we beg to those barbarians who love bloodshed and giving no mercy?” pointed out one disgruntled Argive, feeling repulsive at talking to Spartans.

“Because we have no choice,” Dexos replied coldly. “Sparta initially wanted a renewal of a old peace treaty. Now that we find ourselves in this hole, that I don’t find pleasing, if it means allying with Sparta saves us from a war that we might lose, then that is what we must do,” There were murmurings, many pondering on what to do..

“Those in favour of a mission being sent to Sparta for negotiations?” the presiding officer of the assembly announced. A considerable amount roared their approval.

“Those against?” Just a tiny minority roared their disapproval.

“Then the motion is passed,” the presiding Argive proclaimed. “Envoys shall ride to Sparta immediately with powers so to request negotiations with Sparta,” Dexos sighed in relief. An alliance with Sparta would help protect Argos from any war with Sparta. A few weeks later the Spartans agreed a fifty-year alliance and on the issue of Cynuria, agreed a small battle could be made to decide the settlement. The Argive delegation agreed to delay signing the official treaty at Sparta in June.

But unknown to them that during the summer of 420 the Spartans would prove to regret that postponement greatly.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 02-03-2010 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 02 February 2010 10:18 EDT (US)     10 / 44  
So, the Argive League dissolves into an Argos-Sparta alliance.

Interesting.

This made no sense to me:
The liberated helots who came back from fighting in the Thracian campaign had been settled in the Elean-Spartan frontier, but they were suspicious of these helots,

The liberated helots were suspicious of themselves? Other helots? The Spartans?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
posted 03 February 2010 13:27 EDT (US)     11 / 44  
I like all this trickery etc that's going on. Makes a nice change.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
posted 07 February 2010 13:58 EDT (US)     12 / 44  
Yep, all this diplomacy adds to the tragedy that is to follow.....

Chapter Three: A New Athenian Arises.

The Pnyx was in uproar as they heard the Spartan envoys. Seething anger was rife throughout the grand arena.

“What do you mean Panactum has been demolished!” roared an Athenian. “The agreement in the Peace of Nicas says that Athenian prisoners under Boeotian control shall be handed over along with the fort of Panactum to the Athenians. Now we hear that the stronghold has been razed to the ground!” Expletives were hurled towards the Spartan emissaries along with threats.

“Order! Order, I beseech you!” the presiding officer screamed to his fellow men trying to restore calm. It was only after the furious politicians had to draw breath after their tirades, were the Spartans able to state their defence.

“Even though Panactum has been demolished the fort has been reinstated to Athenian hands,” the lead envoy said in defiance, angry at the verbal abuse the delegation had suffered. “Besides with the fort now razed it means that no hostile force can occupy it!” The Pnyx erupted in yet more fury.

“Treachery!” bellowed one elderly Athenian who had seen his fair share of wars.

“Blasphemy!” screamed another. Sitting at the top of the arena overlooking the baying mob, a dark haired man looked on. Alcibiades knew things were taking shape.

“It looks like the Spartan delegation are barely holding back our fellow citizens,” one man remarked to the Athenian.

“What should we do now, Alcibiades?” the man replied yet again. The thirty year old knew exactly what to do.

“Go in for the kill, Berius,” he answered. Berius nodded and stood up.

“And what about the pact that you Spartans have agreed with the Boeotians?” he roared at the top of his voice. “Doesn’t that violate the Nicias treaty?” Now even more denunciations were thrown at the Spartans.

“I knew it!” screeched a middle aged portly Athenian. “Never trust a Spartan to honour an agreement!” The Spartan delegation realised that they couldn’t appease the Athenians and so left the Pnyx under a cacophony of jeers along with whistles. The revelation of Panactum along with the Boeotian alliance now revitalised those hardliners who had been weakened after Cleon’s death. There were two competitors for the champion of the pro-war factions. One was Hyperbolus, son of Antiphanes. He was a politician who seethed with Spartan hatred who didn’t like the alliance with Sparta. Although a good orator, along with commanding a trireme, he didn’t have the reputation unlike Cleon or Nicias. In addition Hyperbolus had come from the lower classes and had no aristocratic background and had no influence among others.

The second competitor was Alcibiades, son of Cleinias. Although passing the admission rules to be voted a general, at the age of thirty, he was respected as an experienced soldier. He had fought at Potidaea and Delium with distinction. Although he was skilled in oratory and cunning in getting his way, he did suffer from a slight speech defect and was worried that this could harm him. But Alcibiades had noble blood with his ancestor the founder of democracy and liberator of Athens from the tyrannical regime they had once suffered. His great-grandfather was a captain, in charge of a warship that fought with honours during the Greek-Persian wars. These family ties allowed him to be elected general during the spring of 420. Alcibiades was determined to lead the war faction and would make sure this would happen.

It was a dark moonless night at a damp, squalid wooden house in the slums of Athens. Alcibiades, along with his entourage of Berius amongst several others who were standing guard, was waiting for his guest to arrive. The brash Athenian knew he was playing with fire here as he waited patiently. Alcibiades was well aware that an opportunity was there for the taking to seriously isolate Sparta. He had sent men to the states of Mantinea and Elis to cajole them into an Athenian alliance.

The response had been mixed. Although both democratic states were in favour of the idea, they wouldn’t do anything until Argos decided on what to do. Alcibiades decided then his focus should turn to the Argives and hence why this meeting was called. As the Athenian mused things over in his mind, a man arrived in the room.

“The Argive has arrived,” he replied. Alcibiades motioned the guard to allow the Argive to enter. The cloaked man entered the room and curtly bowed to the Athenian.

“A very good evening to you, Dexos,” Alcibiades smiled. “I apologize the setting for our meeting isn’t as lavish unlike the Pnyx,”

“Spare me the pleasantries,” came the reply. “What is it do you want?” Both men were now seated on their chairs, a table in between the two of them.

“We know that the Argives are in a state of hysteria at what you feel is a…bad situation,” Alcibiades said, pausing so to add an effect. Dexos growled. If this weren’t a meeting of peace he would strike him right there.

“Why do you try and push the sword of betrayal deeper towards the heart of Argos,” Dexos fumed. “Do not try to play dumb! We know Sparta and Athens are in cahoots with each other,” A ripple of laughter erupted throughout the room. Dexos looked at the several bemused Athenians surrounding him with disgust.

“You play a dangerous game, Athenian!” Dexos said angrily. “Why do you laugh like I’m the village idiot?”

“Because, Argive,” Alcibiades said seriously, breaking off from his laughter. “We are not in “cahoots” with the Spartans. In fact our relations with Sparta are now somewhat short of perilous,”

“Perilous?” Dexos said confusingly. Berius, who was next to Alcibiades, nodded.

“The Spartans have broken the treaty that Nicias so effortlessly strive for,” Alcibiades said. “They have allied with the Boeotians without consulting Athens, as it’s stated in the peace agreement. Their friends, the Boeotians, have destroyed the Panactum fort that was meant to be ceded to Athens. So, as you can see Dexos, we are not entirely pleased with Sparta,” The Argive looked on incredulously. It seems that his source had been badly misinformed. Argos was not isolated, but now in a strong position. Dexos face was now one of cautious optimism.

“But what are you along with your cronies’ intentions in all this?” Dexos probed.

“There are many reasons why I asked you to come here secretly,” Alcibiades explained. “Firstly we feel that the Argives concluding their agreement with Sparta would be unwise. An alliance between Mantinea, Elis, Argos and the Athens would be allow the Argives to challenge for domination over the Peloponnesus,” Dexos was musing it over in his mind. What the Athenian had said was true.

“So are we in agreement?” said the Athenian. The Argive sighed.

“I guess we are,” Dexos said, as both men shook hands.

It was now the Spartans who would be under a state of hysteria. By May the Spartans were shocked at hearing of Argos shunning their previous agreement. They were even more infuriated at hearing the Argives planning to ally with the Athenians along with Mantinea and Elis. They soon sent a delegation to Athens composing of three Spartans that were respected by the Athenians. They were Leon, Philocharidas and Endius, part of the Spartan representatives who signed the peace treaty. Endius knew Alcibiades very well and he hoped the embassy would help restore the peace agreement. However Alcibiades had other ideas.

Suspicion echoed across the people of Athens when hearing of the three Spartan envoys coming to Athens. When the news flurried to Alcibiades who was residing at his grand marble home, he immediately acted, notably when he knew who those envoys were.

“Have the Spartans addressed the assembly?” he asked the messenger, his tone one of unease at hearing of the delegation’s arrival. He didn’t want them to resolve any issues and was desperate for a split to occur between Sparta and Athens. This would allow him to fill in that vacuum bringing him prestige and power. However with the arrival of the Spartans they were trying to wreck his ambitions. A possible alliance between Athens and Argos had to be struck.

“They have,” the messenger replied. “But only that they have been sent by Sparta to resolve the issues. Nicias along with several others answered them warmly and are to meet tomorrow so to try and solve the problems,” Alcibiades fumed at hearing of Nicias. The elderly Athenian had been a thorn in his plans. He could remember when peace negotiations were been written up it was he that had offered to lead the Athenian delegation. However he had been brushed off by Sparta who had preferred Nicias and Laches. Alcibiades had been certain it had been because of his age and because they liked Nicias because of his pious and his cautious attitude.

“Nicias should act like a true Athenian instead of coshing up to Sparta so to achieve peace,” he muttered to himself. However a plan was now forming in his head and was now piecing it together.

“That could work,” he thought to himself, mired in deep thought. Once he had finished formulating the plan he gave out a smirk, convinced that by the time he executed this new idea, Nicias would suffer great embarrassment. Then it would be Alcibiades that would enjoy new founded respect and prestige amongst his fellow Athenians. He then turned towards the courier.

“Do you know where the Spartans are housed?” he asked him. The messenger nodded quickly.

“Good,” Alcibiades replied. “Tell them to meet me at the same place where I met the Argives. However be very careful. If you utter a word of this to anyone else then you will pay for your insolence,” The man sensed the underlying malice in the Athenian’s threat. He duly nodded, proceeding to head towards his horse outside the large house, heading towards his objective.

A short while later the rider returned to Alcibiades informing him that the Spartan emissaries had agreed to the secret meeting.

“Fetch me my guards,” he smiled, as Alcibiades headed with his entourage towards the same squalid slum where he had met Dexos.

“So why do you bring us here in a place not even a vagabond would live in?” questioned Endius. All three Spartans were facing Alcibiades, as they wondered what the Athenian had for him that was so important.

“I know that you have told a council, but not the Pnyx that you have full powers from Sparta to settle the problems,” Alcibiades spoke elegantly. “But I ask you to revoke on that statement when you stand in front of the ecclesia tomorrow,” The envoys snorted.

“Why should we even listen to you?” Leon said dismissively. The Athenian began to execute the first step of his plan.

“In return of you revoking your statement then I shall use my influence to restore Pylos to Sparta and resolve the dispute about Panactum,” he proposed. The three envoys now looked at each other. Alcibiades saw within their eyes that they were interested in this proposal. Sparta had always wanted Pylos since that disastrous naval battle five years ago.

“Are you sure that you can silence those Athenians in the Pnyx who advocate war?” Philocharidas asked cautiously.

“I can,” Alcibiades replied. “I shall also reassure my fellow citizens that are against peace that Sparta’s alliance with Boeotia doesn’t threaten Athens,” There was then a short, yet awkward pause.

“Very well,” Leon said. It was then the Spartans proceeded to leave towards their quarters. Alcibiades would make sure that the delegation would receive a nasty shock when the Pnyx met tomorrow to meet the envoys.

“The Spartan envoys now have the right to speak to the assembly of Athens,” the presiding officer announced. The lead envoy Endius took to the floor and spoke towards the surrounding Athenians who sat in the stone stands that had been erected.

“We have been sent by the government of Sparta to resolve the issues that have occurred since the Peace of Nicias,” said Endius boldly. Alcibiades stood up.

“Do you have full powers from Sparta to resolve these disputes?” he shouted. Endius paused for a while. Across the Pnyx Nicias waited on the Spartan’s answer.

“No, we do not have full powers,” Endius replied. This caused mutterings across the Pnyx. Nicias’ face was one of confusion, as those envoys had told him that they had been given full powers by Sparta. Alcibiades now unleashed his fury knowing that he and Athens would now benefit.

“Then why do you lie, Athenian!” Alcibiades roared angrily, spit dribbling from his mouth. “Yesterday, you tell the council that Sparta had granted you independent powers to bolster the peace. But now you lie, just like with Panactum. Spartan honesty is as honest as a Persian: they have none whatsoever!” Large sections of the Pnyx now erupted in anger, screaming expletives and insults. The Spartan envoys were stunned at Alcibiades’ treachery. Endius looked into the eyes of the Athenian and saw the deception that simmered in his dark eyes. It was then that the delegation realized that they had fallen into the trap.

“We better go,” Leon said to Endius. “What can we do now that little worm has driven a wedge between Sparta and Athens,”

“Meet with Nicias and tell him of the trick that has been pulled upon us!” hissed Philocharidas. Endius shook his head.

“No,” he answered. “Nicias won’t speak to us for he doesn’t want his reputation to be damaged even further now that we have been discredited. No, we go back to Sparta,” Just as they were to leave, Alcibiades stood up to speak.

“I motion that we ally with the Argives along with the democratic states Mantinea and Elis!” he shouted out. There was a large roar of approval with Nicias looking unmoved knowing that if he challenged it while the Pnyx was whipped up in a state of anti-Spartan fervour then he would be lynched. The presiding officer of the assembly then stood up to address the Pnyx.

“All those in favour-” The officer was then interrupted as the Pnyx shook thunderously taking everyone off guard.

“Earthquake!” screamed an Athenian. The entire block of citizens at the Pnyx bolted from their roughly carved seats and headed for the exits, as the ground shook and cracks appeared upon the hard rock. As Alcibiades looked up he could see some debris tumble down from some of the surrounding houses. The Athenian knew that they would conclude the debate on the Argive alliance tomorrow. But if it meant Athens would go to war and restore the glory of the Athenian Empire, then one day wouldn’t that hard to wait.

The next day after the debris from the minor earthquake had been cleared the Pnyx was bustling with the citizens of Athens debating on the alliance with Argos. The Spartan envoys had left Athens knowing that they weren’t going to achieve anything after Alcibiades’ deception.

“Who wishes to speak?” boomed the presiding officer. Nicias stood up, vowing to try and uphold the peace knowing that harmony was better than bloodshed.

“I do,” the Athenian answered. The presiding officer of the assembly motioned him to the center of the Pnyx.

“Honorable Athenians!” cried out Nicias. “I ask you to postpone the vote. An alliance with Sparta is valuable than one with the Argives. I seek a embassy to Sparta so they can clarify their intentions, because when their delegation arrived in Athens yesterday, they weren’t given the chance to speak because of the earthquake,” There were mutterings across the Pnyx. Although the Spartans violating the peace agreement had irritated the vast majority of Athenians, they were reluctant for war.

“Very well!” said the presiding officer sensing the mood of the Pnyx. “The vote shall be postponed. Nicias, you shall be part of an embassy to go to Sparta seeking that they abide by the peace treaty you helped envisaged,” Alcibiades looked on in disappointment. He thought that the Pnyx would be ready to ally with Argos hence isolating Sparta and be forced to resume war. It was then that he would help restore the past glory of the Athenian Empire. But Alcibiades now had a grudging respect for Nicias: he was a wily politician. However for Nicias he was relieved that he had been given time to go to Sparta. But he was aware that he was under tremendous pressure to achieve an agreement that would help salvage the Peace Of Nicias. So on that dark evening he set out with an escort along with his delegation to Sparta.

But Nicias knew that peace in the realm of Greece was on the line.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 02-07-2010 @ 02:01 PM).]

posted 08 February 2010 11:44 EDT (US)     13 / 44  
What a rat! Nicely played, Legion.

Question, though- weren't earthquakes considered ill omens? Would not a vote or a speech interrupted by an earthquake (the anger of the gods) mean the end of that debate- with the side speaking while interrupted losing? I remember something similar about Roman debates/speeches: ill omens nullified them. was it the same in Greece?

This is not a criticism, merely a question.
posted 08 February 2010 14:05 EDT (US)     14 / 44  
I can understand your question. Here is my answer to what people sometimes do to unfavourable omens.

Pubilius Claudius Pulcher commanded the Roman fleet during the First Punic War. In 249 BC he wanted to launch a surprise attack on the port of Drepana north of Lilybaeum in Sicily. However when it came to the omens for the battle it was unfavorable, as the chickens didn't want to eat. This scared the Roman crews who were supersitious. However instead of abandoning the attack Cladius threw the chickens overboard saying that if they don't eat then let them drink. Needlessly to say the Roman surprise attack faltered and Claudius lost ninety of his one hundred twenty ships, while the Carthaginians lost near to nothing.

But you will get to see later on in the story the effect of omens on armies and the outcome of their campaigns.

posted 18 February 2010 17:30 EDT (US)     15 / 44  
Chapter Four: Humiliations and Tribulations.

Nicias stood in front of the agora in Sparta. The pious Athenian was having an audience with the citizens, the gerousia and the ephors of Sparta. The fifty year old knew he had to achieve something or the Pnyx, most notably the hardliners, would attack him with such fierce his reputation would take a hit.

“To what does the Athenian delegation seek from the agora of Sparta?” boomed one of the ephors.

“We have been given full powers by the Pnyx to seek assurances from Sparta,” Nicias replied. The members of the agora displayed no emotion whatsoever.

“And what assurances does the Pnyx seek?” said another ephor bluntly.

“The restoration of Panactum, the return of Amphipolis and to cancel your alliance with the Boeotians,” Nicias replied. “If you do not relinquish your alliance with Boeotia then Athens shall ally with the Argives,” There was large chatter amongst the Spartans who didn’t like to be dictated to: especially by the Athenians.

“The requests are denied,” said the ephor. Nicias bit his lip. He knew that he had to come back to Athens with something.

“Then at least renew the oaths of the peace treaty that was forged,” he replied. The ephors looked to one another. They as well as many Spartans didn’t want war to erupt again.

“Very well,” said the leading ephor. “But we shall still honour our alliance with Boeotia,” The colour in Nicias’ face drained knowing that the Spartan proposal wouldn’t be accepted by his fellow Athenians.

“Very well,” said Nicias. “I thank you for your time,” The delegation then left their audience. A few days later Nicias’ worry about the Pnyx’s reaction would show in brutal fashion.

“Nicias’ efforts to get reassurances from the Spartans have failed,” Alcibiades said. “Now is the time to forge a new coalition consisting of Athens, the Mantinea, Elis and Argos. It shall be a mutual non-aggression pact with a defensive alliance on land and sea. The treaty shall last for a hundred years and shall be open to renewal when it expires,” The Pnyx cheered, as the mood now was of seeking other allies now that Sparta has proved so untruthful.

“All those in favour,” said the presiding officer. A rousing roar came about, as the vast majority raised their hands in agreement.

“The ayes have it!” came the reply. A deafening cheer then erupted in appreciation.

When Corinth got wind of the alliance they immediately acted by stopping their previous alliance. However they preserved the defensive alliance with Argos, Elis and Mantinea so to cajole Sparta into war. However the Athenians’ new allies were to show boldness to a new level.

This summer was unlike previous ones. For the summer of 420 was the season where the Olympiad took place in the town of Olympia in the province of Elis. It was an event where every four years a series of athletic competitions were held for representatives of various city-states throughout Greece. They had gone on even during the Archidamian war and a truce had been held in 428 and 424 when the Olympiad was held. However this year would prove to be troublesome.

The Spartan contingent of athletes who were to compete in the Olympiad felt that this could be their year. Sparta was a warrior state and seeing they had the best soldiers many Spartans felt it would be their state who would excel in the distance running events. Lichas, son of Archesilaus looked forward to it for several reasons. Although annoyed he couldn’t showcase his skills on the battlefield, he would be able to show his talents in terms of the chariot. His father had been victorious at the two previous Olympiads and hoped he could emulate his father. However as he walked to the registration post to enter he would receive a bitter shock.

“Sorry,” said a grizzled attendant. “You can’t enter,”

“Why not?” he asked, with a bemused look on his face.

“Are you Spartan?” the official asked. Lichas nodded.

“Then that’s why,” came the reply. “Sparta has been barred from participating the in the Olympiad,”

“Why?”

“They have been accused of violating the sacred truce by reneging on the Peace Of Nicias,” Lichas fumed. He knew that charge was weak. The attendant could sense what the Spartan was going to say and cut right in.

“The Spartans have already appealed against the decision,” he said. “The Olympic panel refused it and imposed a fine. The panel members offered to half the fine, but they declined. When the court tried to force them to swear an oath at the altar of the Zeus they still refused. Therefore the panel have banned them from the temples, sacrificial ceremonies and competition during the Olympiad.” Lichas sighed at this new revelation. He thanked the attendant and walked away. As he walked down the road towards the Olympic mess, two men blocked his path. Fortunately for the Spartan they were friendly and not hostile. They were Theban athletes.

“I guess from the way you are walking that you’ve heard the news?” the first person asked. He was stocky and had a round face. Lichas nodded.

“Aye,” he answered. “Lucky for you that your state is allowed to compete,” Just as the Spartan spoke an idea came across. The two athletes picked up on this.

“What are you so cheery about?” they asked Lichas.

“If I can’t enter my chariot into the Games representing Sparta,” he replied. “Then why can’t I race for the Thebans?” The two athletes looked at one another and smiled.

The roar of the crowd was deafening as they enjoyed the chariot race. Seven lavish charioteers from the states across Greece raced in front of a large crowd of several thousand. Lichas however wasn’t racing the chariot, aware that if he were the one pulling the reins, the Elean officials would chase him out. So he gave it to one of the Theban athletes he had met after being turned away by the Olympic officials. Lichas hoped that Ferias would bring him glory. However the Spartan was aware that chariot racing was a dangerous sport. But as there was just two laps to go Lichas saw that Ferias was in second place with five chariots still racing. The other two had collided into each other and crashed violently. Blood still was visible on the walls: horse and human.

“Come on, Ferias!” Lichas roared, trying to give him encouragement. The Theban was trying to get his four horses to gallop much faster. However the large hippodrome barrier in the middle meant that turns were hazardous. Gasps rippled through the crowd as the rider behind Ferias tried to race past the Theban on the U-turn sector, placed on both the northern and southern parts of the track. However the rider couldn’t control his chariot. The impact was that his wheels on the left side careered from the dusty ground and meant the rope linking the chariot to the four horses snapped. The rider on the chariot was swept from his feet and was thrown around the track like a rag doll.

Ferias now looked ahead as they crossed for the final lap. He was aware that his horses were faster, but overtaking was still dangerous. However he willed his steeds onwards and on the straight developed a burst of speed. The leading charioteer, an Ionian, was shocked at seeing his lead threatened, as the two men were virtually neck and neck coming up to the final turn.

The two racers looked at each other knowing whoever survived this duel would win the race. However the Ionian, instead of trying to outrace his opponent was content to just block Ferias coming on the outside channel. This would prove to be disastrous as when it was time to make the risky turn, the wheels on both charioteers collided. While Ferias composed himself by holding onto the reins it was the Ionian who would prove to have the bad luck. By being on the inside and nearest to the barrier wall, when both chariots collided Ferias moved towards the right where there was space to make a long turn.

But the Ionian crashed into the wall. The Ionian rider's helmet slammed into the marble obstacle violently before being thrown off his chariot by the impact of the crash. Before the stretcher-bearers could come out to rescue him the chariot in third place ran over him. The Ionian screamed in pure agony and was killed with his mangled body horrifying the Olympic officials. However the crowd roared madly as Ferias raced through to win the race.

Lichas raced down towards his chariot and hugged him joyfully. But after doing so he furnished a crown and placed it on his chariot indicating that the winning entry had been his. The effect was that several officials descended from their seating positions. These officials were clearly not happy at seeing a Spartan outwit the Olympic committee who were compromised of Eleans. Lichas could see that they had whips and sticks. The Spartan quickly fled knowing that if caught he would be lynched.

The Spartans did very little about the insults they had suffered at Olympia. In fact they did nothing at all. Throughout the Greek world many a man talked about if Sparta was in decline. How could a state that produced heroes such as Brasidas, Leonidas and Pausanias be willing to suffer such humiliations by a lesser foe? Things got worse for Sparta in the winter when their colony at Heraclea that bordered the Thessalians was captured and killed the Spartan governor. By the spring of 419 the Thebans wrestled Heraclea back, dismissing the new Spartan governor. The Thebans said they took the town trying to use it as a bulwark against Athens. But many knew Thebes took it because the Thebans felt Sparta was weak and could profit from it. These symbolic setbacks harmed Sparta and in summer 419 Alcibiades would try to exploit it.

It was the end of June as Alcibiades and his small army were resting on a patch of land south of the Corinthian Gulf. In his command tent he wrote his report to the Pnyx with a smile on his face knowing that his first stage of the plan was going well. As he finished writing he gave the scroll to his servant.

“Read it,” he ordered. The servant nodded, well aware of his master’s speech defect. He cleared his throat and began to read.

To the Athenian assembly,

The first stage of the offensive into the Peloponnesus is going as planned. To isolate and cripple the Corinthians, who have so dastardly tried to force Sparta to renew war with Athens, I along with my men have trekked through our new founded Peloponnesian friends towards the Corinthian Gulf. I managed to reach the coastal town of Patrae, not far from where Phormio won his greatest victories. Thankfully the gods were good to us today. They have agreed to ally and build walls seawards so to resist Sparta and maintain communication with us, mainly to our base at Naupactus across the gulf.

However our efforts to build a fort at Rhium haven’t been as successful thanks to the arrival of enemy forces. But by incorporating Patrae we can close off the mouth of the gulf to Corinth’s allies in the west and seriously hurt their trade. I trust that the Argives will help us in the second stage of the operation. One thing is for sure: Sparta is hurting and it is showing. Now we will see if the Argives can execute the second step of the plan.

Alcibiades nodded at the slave as he gave the scroll back to the Athenian. A guard was called to the command tent and promptly saluted to his commander.

“Take this to the courier post and tell them to ride for Athens urgently. Give this to the Pnyx,” Alcibiades commanded. The rider nodded, took the letter and went to the courier post. The Athenian commander then opened a large scroll showing a map detailing the Peloponnesus. His eye was fixed on the strategic coastal town of Epidaurus, located northeast of the region. Alcibiades was hopeful that the Argives could put pressure on Sparta.

It was nearing the end of the campaigning season of 419 as the young Spartan king Agis II was in his quarters at his palace. As he walked towards the window, looking at the bustling city of Sparta, he sighed remembering that it had been an eventful summer: but not really all that positive. The king cast his mind back to late June when he had been informed of the Argive attack on Epidaurus. It had forced the young figure to send the entire Spartan army of around twenty thousand men to Epidaurus.

Agis was well aware that with the Athenian seizure of Patrae the town of Epidaurus had to be held. If it fell then it would allow Argos and Athens to mount a sustained attack from both sides towards Corinth. They could attack from the east with the Athenians or even launch a landing. Coming north along the road from Epidaurus the Argives could arrive to isolate Corinth. Losing the Corinthians would be a big blow to the Peloponnesian League and could even cripple it.

However when he marched his army to the Spartan border he suffered one major blow: omens. When the high priests cast unfavourable omens Agis knew that his army couldn’t march to Epidaurus and aid them. The king knew his fellow Spartans were a deeply religious people. In addition the festival of Carneius was coming soon. It was a holy month for the Spartans who were Dorians. However the young king had been aware that he was under pressure from anti-Argive and Athenian politicians along with the ephors to attack. So the Spartan simply made plans to launch another attempt to push the Argives out of Epidaurus when the religious festival was over.

“And then the Argives had to resort to treachery,” Agis muttered darkly to himself. The Spartan was angry that Argos invaded Epidaurus yet again. He was also incensed that they had invaded before Carneius: well aware that it would take Sparta a few days to rustle up the large amount of troops and to requisition supplies. It would take at least two days, maybe three or four, to march on Epidaurus. By the time Sparta reached their ally the festival of Carneius would have began. Agis was well aware that it had been a clever ruse by the Argives. But what happened next had confused the Spartan king. The Athenians headed by Alcibiades had called a conference at the town of Mantinea to discuss peace.

Agis soon remembered with fondness the Corinthians accusing their enemies of hypocrisy when while they say their intention is peace the Argives were invading Epidaurus. The meeting was a waste. But Agis had remembered how he cursed his luck when he with his Spartan army was hampered by yet another unfavourable omen predicted by the high priests.

However the king could recall being relieved at the fact the mere presence of his army had forced the Argive army from Epidaurus towards their homeland in Argos. In addition the Athenians had sent a thousand hoplites to help their ally so things could have got really bloody if the omens had been favorable. With the threat of sending a Spartan army, Agis had in his view, avoided a confrontation against the Argives.

But the Spartan king was well aware the situation was seriously delicate. Athens didn’t want to fight Sparta again for many had been killed in the last war. However Agis knew some Athenians like Alcibiades were eager to use other states like Argos to weaken Sparta. As Agis walked towards his room he sighed.

“I too am under pressure,” he thought to himself. “If not from the ephors, then from fellow citizens who wonder why don’t I attack?” Agis knew that Athenian assistance in the Epidaurian campaign had troubled many in Sparta. The people were deeply divided, as some wanted war while others wanted peace. Agis was determined to keep the peace, but knew that if Argos would try to push Sparta by attacking Epidaurus then he was sure that Sparta would push back. Agis shook his head. At least during the war the Spartans and Athenians knew that there was war between two sides. Now no one knew what was happening.

In the election to decide the generals for the year 418 the Athenians had decided to snub Alcibiades. The people of Athens were afraid of getting embroiled into war with Sparta. Many decided to vote for Nicias and his moderate set of generals. This was because they saw Alcibiades’ failure to get results in his expedition as a warning that peace was fragile. But many Athenians were eager to protect Argos and their allies in the Peloponnesus. There were significant factions in Athens who felt that Spartan domination of the region would be very dangerous and a threat to the Peace Of Nicias.

However events would lead to the summer of 418.....

posted 22 February 2010 08:00 EDT (US)     16 / 44  
Interesting update. It was interesting to see that politics meddled in sports even way back then.

A few typoes- mostly relating to the lack of commas, but a few others. They are presented here in the format:
Your text
My suggestion

now that Sparta has proved so untruthful.
now that Sparta has proven so unfaithful.

The Ionian rider's helmet slammed into the marble obstacle violently before being thrown off his chariot
The Ionian rider's helmet slammed into the marble obstacle violently before he himself was thrown off his chariot

Before the stretcher-bearers could come out to rescue him the chariot in third place ran over him.
Before the stretcher-bearers could come out to rescue him, the chariot in third place ran over him.
or
The chariot in third-place ran over him before the stretcher-bearers could come out to rescue him.

colony at Heraclea that bordered the Thessalians was captured and killed the Spartan governor.
colony at Heraclea that bordered the Thessalians was captured and the Spartan governor was killed.

the Thebans felt Sparta was weak and could profit from it.
the Thebans felt Sparta was weak and they could profit from it.

holy month for the Spartans who were Dorians.
holy month for the Spartans, who were Dorians.

However the young king
However, the young king

In addition the Athenians had sent
In addition, the Athenians had sent

Otherwise an excellent update!

posted 03 March 2010 05:10 EDT (US)     17 / 44  
A good read LoH, I look forward to the next update. You captured the atmosphere at the games very well.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 04 March 2010 17:30 EDT (US)     18 / 44  
Thanks guys for your support. Sorry for the small hiatus, but I've been hard at work doing essays. Luckily the last three essays I've received were all B's so that is good. So for your patience here is a new chapter!

Chapter Five: The Indecision of Agis II.

Agis walked out from the main road into the clearing of the fields where he could see the plains of the Peloponnesus in full view. The young Spartan king looked at the fields and smiled. This was the ideal place.

“Order the army to camp here in the fields for the night,” he ordered his aide de camp. The aide nodded and began to relay the orders. Agis turned around towards the road and looked at the grand Peloponnesian army march grandly towards him. The force stretched from where he stood for up to over two leagues. As camp was being set up the king ordered all the senior officers to a council of war. Agis knew that one man couldn’t man a large force: especially when the army consisted of men from states throughout the Peloponnesian League.

“Men of the Peloponnesus,” the king boomed to his fellow men. “I thank you for committing your men to this expedition,” A great silence filtered throughout the tent that had been quickly constructed. “The people of Epidaurus are under great distress from harassing attacks by the Argives. Also the Athenians haven’t helped by their reckless commanders goading their new allies on. It is imperative that we nip this trouble right in the bud. That is why the government of Sparta has decided to march towards Epidaurus,” There were mutterings of agreement among Spartan and Peloponnesian officers. For too long had the Argives and their allies tried to use the peace agreement to settle old scores.

“What is the full disposition of our forces?” Agis enquired to an officer.

“Eight thousand Spartan hoplites,” he replied. “In addition with the twelve thousand hoplites from the Tegeans and our allies from the Peloponnesian League. The Boeotians have been kind enough to promise to send five thousand light troops and a thousand cavalry using the road leading through the Isthmus of Corinth,” The officers smiled at significantly outnumbering the enemy. Agis then motioned for his guards to arrive, as they brought in a large table and map of the Peloponnesus. The detailed map was spread out for all the officers to see and gawp at. Agis took out a large refined stick so to map out the plan.

“Our first obstacle is to get to the town of Phlius where the Boeotian contingent and the twelve thousand Peloponnesians have earmarked as the position to link up,” he explained, moving his stick to the town. “However to get to Phlius, as you are all aware, will mean trekking along the road through hostile territory passing through the lands of Mantinea,” Agis then moved his stick to the west of Mantinea and push upwards.

“So tomorrow morning the army shall switch the route north-westwards by passing through Methydrium and Orchomenus where these towns are directly a couple of leagues west of Mantinea. From there we can evade the Argives and their allies. I do not want to be caught up in a pitched battle. If we can dodge them then we’ll be able to reach Phlius. Any questions?” Silence occurred throughout the room.

“Good!” Agis smiled motioning to his guards to roll up the large map. “You may go to your men so you can inform them of the plans. Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn we shall march towards Phlius!”

The next morning the Spartan army was on the march. Several thousand men were marching under the banner of Sparta to help save the Peloponnesian League. Agis had made sure to send out his small detail of ten horsemen ahead to scout out the route ahead. The next day Agis had made good time, with his army reaching the town of Belmina, knowing it was essential to stock up on supplies.

By the end of the first day they were two leagues west of Tegea. After a short rest and no surprise attacks occurring during the night Agis sent his army forward pass the rocky mountainous features of the Peloponnesus. However just as they were nearing Methydrium, several riders approached. Agis was about to order the column to halt and fan out in a defensive stance. But his nerves were allayed when he saw it was his horsemen.

“Strategos,” the head rider saluted who was slightly out of breath from riding such long distances. “We have sighted the Argives and their allies,” Agis’ eyes widened.

“Where?” he asked.

“Down the road and is where the army’s placed on top of the ridge,” he answered, pointing along the road. The Spartan sighed.

“It doesn’t look good, strategos,” Agis said irritably.

“How about the original plan?” enquired the aide-de-camp that was riding next to Agis. “We go through the road through Mantinea. If the Argives have positioned their army on the ridge then we could outmanoeuvre them?” The scout shook his head.

“No,” he said bluntly. “That is what they want us to do. They have probably placed a few thousand men on the road to Mantinea as a blocking force. When they see that we have moved out then they’ll try to isolate and force us to fight a battle,” Agis nodded in agreement. The Argives were itching for a fight.

“Then what are we to do?” the aide asked.

“We wait for nightfall,” the king replied. “Then we see if the gods are with us,”

The gods were good to Agis. The next morning a small Argive patrol saw the remains of an abandoned camp. The Argive army on the ridge bolted straight for Argos to protect their city from what they thought was a possible Spartan attack. Agis had managed to evade the Argives by finding a new path and simply going around them. He reached the town of Phlius the next day where he was greeted by cheers from the contingent of Corinthians, Boeotians, Megarians and Sicyonians. The Spartan commander was glad that his allies had kept their side of the bargain. When all the pleasantries were made Agis was quick to call a council so to plan their next steps.

“Argos is at least six leagues away. I say we race there and capture it!” shouted a Corinthian.

“No,” said a Megarian officer. “We must draw them out using our significant numerical advantage. We can easily annihilate the entire Argive army!” The officers had been quarrelling for a few hours on what course of action to take. However the senior Peloponnesian officers had an ulterior motive. The ideas that the officers were putting across would, in their view, help influence the young Spartan king to take sides with one of the officers’ different ideas. For a while Agis had just been taking in the plans that had been put across. Finally he raised his hand to demand silence.

“Guard, bring in a map of Argos and its surrounding areas,” he ordered. A short while later a large map was brought in. When it was unfolded the officers looked on, as the Spartan king welded his small stick and pointed towards the map.

“The one main road from here to Argos that is suitable for cavalry is the Tretus Pass,” he said pointing his stick from the pass’s northern point south of Nemea and where the pass ended at the town of Mycenae. “However the Argives are likely to block it so that means we need a another means of passage,”

“Where?” asked a Sicyonian general. Agis answered this question by moving his stick westwards along the map labelled as the rough mountain terrain of Mount Kelussa. Some of the Peloponnesian officers from Corinth, Megara, Epidaurus, towns from the several states of Peloponnesian Arcadia who had sided with the Argives or Spartans along with the top officers of Phlius looked edgy at this bold plan.

“Mount Kelussa is rough country and difficult to deploy a army through it,” said an Arcadian. “Besides the Argives, like you said before, aren’t stupid. What if they put a detachment there at the mouth of the pass?” Peloponnesians were muttering with agreement. As Leonidas showed at Thermpolaye, if you put a small detachment at a chokepoint, then they could hold up a larger army for a considerable amount of time.

“Our attack won’t be two pronged, but actually from three points,” he said, causing great surprise amongst his men. “The Boeotians, Sicyonians and Megarians along with the cavalry will go through the Tretus Pass. The soldiers of Corinth, Pellene and Phlius will go through Mount Kelussa. I trust that you will be able to push through the mountain trails and find yourselves onto the rear of the Argive army.

Meanwhile my Spartans, along with the Arcadians and Epidaurians will move towards a hazardous trail west of Kelussa to outflank the Argives. Seeing that I have a longer distance to trek I must march my contingent this evening. Hopefully by the following morning my force, along with the second army that shall pass through the mountains of Kelussa, will be ravaging the plains outside Argos. The Argives will be forced to move south to defend their prized city. They shall find themselves surrounded,” Everyone in the room looked at each other with cautious optimism, but in the end all passed the ambitious manoeuvre with their approval.

The next morning an Argive messenger raced towards his fellow countrymen to give urgent news. He raced his steed towards the plains at Nemea at the entrance of the Tretus pass. Ahead of him was the grand Argive army that was vast and in his view a sight to behold. The army consisted of seven thousand Argives, along with the elite Argive corps of one thousand, three thousand Eleans and two thousand hoplites from the Mantineans and towns from the Arcadian lands that had sided with the Argives. When he surveyed the grand army the rider then galloped towards an officer.

“Do you know where the command tent is, sir?” he asked. The officer looked at him suspiciously.

“Who wants to know?” he asked defensively. The messenger sighed and showed him his dispatch pouch indicating he was a runner. The officer saw it and nodded.

“Sorry, rider,” he said apologetically. “At a time of possible battle you always need to be on the lookout for spies, assassins and infiltrators,”

“I understand,” the runner replied. “So where is the command tent?” He was pointed to where he should go. The rider thanked the officer and slowly cantered towards the tent towards his horse. As he reached the tent, three guards blocked his way. Inside the tent the two Argive generals in charge of the coalition were debating strategy with the Arcadian, Mantinean and Elean commanders. Suddenly a guard came in, slightly riling the lead Argive commanders, Thrasyllus and Alciphron.

“Strategos, there is a dispatch rider bearing urgent information,” the guard said. Alciphron ordered to let the messenger pass. The Argive rider came into the tent and saluted to the several officers in front of him.

“What news, rider?” Thrasyllus asked bluntly. The snobbery slightly irked the rider, but he proceeded to carry out his orders. He took out from his pouch a small letter and handed it to Alciphron. As the commander read it, his eyes bulged in horror. He gave it to Thrasyllus and he too gave a look of shock.

“Is this true, rider?” Thrasyllus demanded, as the scroll was given to the rest of the commanders in the tent. They too were shocked at the scroll’s contents that confirmed two enemy armies had slipped through the Argive army and were now ravaging the lands outside the city of Argos. Thrasyllus slammed his hand onto the table in disgust.

“When did you see the enemy outflank our force?” Alciphron asked.

“At the crack of dawn,” the rider replied. “I was with a scout detail a few leagues north of Argos and saw the dust trails. Upon closer inspection we saw it was the enemy. Luckily they didn’t see us and we managed to evade them. I was given a letter by my officer and ordered to arrive here to tell of what happened,” Alciphron nodded.

“Spread the word to all men in the camp,” Thrasyllus ordered. “We head south immediately in battle formation to confront the enemy marching double time. Damn those Athenians with their lateness. With their cavalry and hoplites we could have easily countered this,” And with it they made preparations to head south immediately.

A scout rider arrived in full view of the Spartans and was heading towards Agis. The Spartan led army were formed up in battle formation and were ready to meet the enemy. Agis received the scout rider as both men saluted to one another.

“What news?” the king asked.

“The Corinthians and their contingent are skirmishing with the Argives,” the rider answered. “They surprised the Corinthians who were foraging for food. The Argives could break through and arrive here very soon,” Agis nodded and dismissed the rider. As the king mused over what to do next he heard the distant sound of roaring and the rumble of an army on the move. Soon in full view men were seen coming over a small ridge. Arriving onto the plain was most of the Argive led allied army. After a short while the Argives were formed up for battle, with the two armies just three hundred paces apart.

But as soon as battle was likely to break out there was another cheer, as on top of the ridge came the Corinthians along with the men of Pellene and Phlius. Agis could easily see the dismay of the faces among his foes at seeing they were outnumbered. Agis knew that the Argives breaking through the Corinthians wasn’t that worrisome an event, because he knew that his men would reform quickly and surround them. In addition the initial first force coming through the Tretus Pass would arrive soon as well. But just as the Argives found themselves surrounded, they quickly launched a white flag and six riders galloped towards the middle of the field. Likewise Agis and six of his men rode to meet them right in the middle of the two armies.

Remarkably no blood was split in that summer afternoon. When the two delegations rode back to their armies, both the Argives and the Spartan soldiers were shocked to hear they had agreed to a four-month truce. Both forces were disgruntled with their commanders. The Argives stoned Thrasyllus to death for his incompetence and when the Athenians contingent led by Alcibiades arrived he was sent away by some of the pro-oligarchic Argive magistrates and couldn’t gain an audience because of his army arriving late when the Spartans were marching towards Argos.

But the Athenian citizen would use this to his advantage. He convinced the Mantineans and Eleans to co-ordinate with his Athenians to attack the town of Orchomenus. This was a town in Arcadia, which could block any Megarian-Corinthian army arriving from the Isthmus of Corinth to aid Sparta or her allies. At first the Argives were hesitant, but they joined in when the town was about to fall.

When the Spartans heard of the capture of Orchomenus they unleashed their fury on Agis for letting the Argives slip away when he had the chance to destroy them. The ephors were planning to fine him a large sum of ten thousand drachmas and burn down his house. Only Agis’ pleading to the ephors and the promise to exact revenge on the Argives spared him. However the Spartan ephors were angry with Agis for allowing the Argives to be able to betray the four-month truce and capture Orchomenus. Agis’ reason for the truce was to hope that peace could still be at hand with the Argives, but now that hope proved to be futile. However the Spartan government passed a groundbreaking law proclaiming:

“Ten xymbouloi shall be appointed as advisors to Agis II so to accompany him on campaigns and battles. Without the consent of the ten advisors the king shall not launch a campaign.”

Agis knew he was a man under pressure and strongly condemned the Argives for their violation of the truce that had lasted for just a short time. But in late August 418 the Spartans heard of great trouble at Tegea. After the debacle of the truce concluded north of Argos an anti-Spartan faction was interested in betraying Tegea to the Argives. Agis was well aware that losing Tegea would trap the Spartans in the small strip of land in Laconia.

They would face hostile enemies north of Sparta and would be hemmed into the southern tip of the Peloponnesus. Agis also was aware that Tegea’s entry into Peloponnesian League one hundred years ago had helped Sparta’s rise to power. Now the lost of Tegea could mean the end of Spartan hegemony. Agis wasted no time in making plans to march for the defence of Tegea.

The Spartan king knew that hegemony of the Peloponnesian region would depend on it.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 03-04-2010 @ 05:33 PM).]

posted 05 March 2010 02:43 EDT (US)     19 / 44  
Interesting!

Nice use of maneuver to avoid battle but win the war. I also like the way the Spartans hamstrung their own king- sometimes such a thing is useful, other times not. Soon, I guess, we will see the result.

posted 05 March 2010 03:52 EDT (US)     20 / 44  
Well at that time the Spartan king could take charge of the battlefield army. But the ephors were in charge of laws and could actually prosecute the king for any transgressions. It happened to Pleistoanax.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 03-05-2010 @ 03:53 AM).]

posted 15 March 2010 17:53 EDT (US)     21 / 44  
After a short absence I am happy to say here is my new chapter. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter Six: The Road To Mantinea.

Agis quickly called up the states of the Peloponnesian League to converge towards Tegea to help defend the town from the hordes of the Argive alliance. But the northern allies, the Boeotians and Corinthians, weren’t sure if they could send troops to Tegea in time. Despite this the Spartan king took the full army of eight thousand hoplites to Tegea, which included his experienced soldiers, the neodamodeis who as helots received their freedom by fighting in the ranks of Sparta. Also in the army were the young and the old. With the Tegean hoplites his force would rise to ten thousand. But as his army marched towards Tegea several things plagued the young Spartan.

Firstly the Argives and their allies outnumbered his force considerably, as they had twelve thousand men. The only thing that soothed his worrying was that the Eleans had not met up with the Mantineans. A messenger had told him the Eleans had wanted to attack the town of Lepreum and not Tegea. The Athenians and Argives overruled the Eleans, agreeing to the Mantinean request of attacking their hated foe, the Tegeans. The Eleans took offence at this and had withdrawn their three thousand hoplites.

When he had heard of this development Agis ordered five hundred of his youngest and oldest men back to Sparta, as the city had been defenceless. But Agis was aware that the Eleans could easily come back, while the Corinthians and Boeotians were sure to struggle to arrive from the north after the Argive capture of Orchomenus had blocked their quickest route from the Isthmus of Corinth to Tegea.

Secondly Agis had to contend with low morale. The previous expedition had ended in a truce that was broken quickly by the Argives with Agis losing considerable prestige. Previous campaigns headed by Agis had yielded nothing and he was inexperienced in battle. The trouble at Tegea would give him a chance of redemption, but Agis was plagued at the thought of failure knowing the penalties would be severe.

In addition Agis had the trouble of being watched by the ten advisors appointed by the ephors to watch over his performance. As they reached Tegea at the dead of night they marched and then rested at the sanctuary of Heracles, based east of Mantinea and south of Mount Alesion near the Pelagos Woods.

The following day the army began to ravage the areas south of Mantinea: hoping to force the enemy to a pitched battle on Sparta’s terms. Agis was well aware he was under pressure and needed a battle to silence his enemies. But a rider coming from the areas Agis’ men were ravaging would bring bad news at the sanctuary of Heracles.

“Strategos, we can’t ravage their lands,” the rider said after saluting his commander.

“And why not?” the Spartan king frowned.

“They have stockpiled their supplies for the summer,” he replied. “Ravaging their lands would prove fruitless. Besides our scouts have sighted the enemy army on the low slopes of Mount Alesion. It’s a steep and hard position to attack,” Agis growled angrily at the Argives just sitting there along the heights. The Spartan king knew exactly what the Argive commanders were going to do: sit back on Mount Alesion, avoid battle and wait for their reinforcements. When their allies did arrive they would have superiority in numbers over Agis, as his northern allies of Corinth and Boeotia hadn’t turned up yet with their troops.

“Then we shall dislodge them from the slopes of Alesion,” Agis said defiantly to the rider. “Prepare for an attack!” Quickly the order was passed along the camp and soon the Spartan army was ready to march towards the slopes of Alesion. Meanwhile Pharax, one of the ten xymbouloi sent by the Spartan government to advise Agis, had been sorting out his equipment when he saw from a distance large columns of men heading towards the slopes of Mount Alesion in battle formation.

“What are you doing, Agis?” he said to himself. Pharax quickly got on his steed and willed his horse towards Mount Alesion. After bypassing several columns of Spartan and allied hoplites he reached Agis: just as they were nearing the Argive position.

“Why are you sending your men straight towards a strong defensive position?” he asked the Spartan king under the noise of the flute, which controlled the pace of the army and so the line was in a straight line and not uneven. .

“To dislodge those Argives from the slopes before they bring their reinforcements. I don’t want to be outnumbered!” Agis replied sternly.

“But you and I know that a phalanx advancing uphill is very difficult,” Pharax said. “Your judgement is clouded, Agis! You are trying to show your bravery and erase the mistakes you made in the past after showing mercy towards the surrounded Argives at the Tretus Pass. Risking heavy losses by charging a fortified position will only exacerbate your enemies’ attacks towards you back home and will not bring back your honour,” Agis knew he was right, as he looked up at the daunting slope. It was a desperate and reckless attack. But the Spartan king was under so much pressure.

“Pull back and then we can devise a plan that will get the Argives to fight without putting our forces in a bad position,” Pharax advised. The Spartan king knew the adviser was right and the attack was quickly called off before they were in range of enemy missiles. When the orders came through several soldiers were relieved who had been worried at charging up a steep slope. The Argives watched this unfold and didn’t pursue the retreating Peloponnesian forces. The officers felt this retreat was a cheap feint by Agis to lure them from the heights into an ambush or a pitched battle. But as evening came Agis and his officers were in their command tent trying to find a way to dislodge the Argives from the heights.

“How can we force them to come down from the slopes?” Agis asked. “Because from what I can see luring them away from Mount Alesion is the best way to force a battle,” The Spartan king had been locked into discussion with his fellow men on how to draw the Argives along with their allies onto the plains in a battle of Agis’ choosing. The Spartan king knew he would need all the men he could get and had requested the five hundred men he had sent back to Sparta to return at once with King Pleistoanax, the once exiled Spartan, at the head of it. Sparta was undefended, but the king had to take the risk. As Agis tried to devise a plan he could hear the noise of rain lashing down outside his tent.

“If it gets any heavier then it could flood us,” he thought to himself. Suddenly Agis’ eyes widened and turned towards the Tegean commander.

“Tectus, didn’t your Tegeans try to flood Mantinea during the rainy season?” he asked.

“Yes, we did,” Tectus nodded. “We used to fight over the two main waterways that led between the two states. During the rainy season we would try to flood the Mantinean plains by diverting water from one river towards another. This would damage their crops and force them to come at us in their attempts to stop their lands being flooded,” Intrigue now began to stem throughout the tent.

“I can get some of my men to flood the Argive positions by just building ditches,” Tectus said. “We still kept some materials from previous campaigns in trying to flood the Mantineans out. The area can be flooded in a matter of days,”

“Then it’s agreed,” Agis replied triumphantly. “ We shall flood the area. Our force will be pulled back from Alesion towards the outskirts of Tegea to rest and then soon we shall march and stop at the sanctuary of Heracles to await the Argives and their allies once they find out they are in danger of being flooded,” The officers nodded and after a short while the Spartan force moved out towards Tegea, while his men began implementing their plan to flood the Argives.

But on that same night, as there was mutual agreement among Agis and his allies there was anger among the Argive coalition.

Asopius was one of the high-ranking Argives generals from the elites and commanded the trained corps of the Argive Thousand. Things were going well for him so far, as the Spartans had fled twice, knowing that his men had the edge in terms of positioning and numbers. All he had to do was wait it out for a few more days before the Eleans and Athenians came. Asopius had been pleased at the one thousand hoplites and cavalry the Athenians had sent as a measure of good faith. However as the sun began to set, a guard came rushing in to the command tent, along with two of his co-generals.

“Strategos, you need to see this!” one of the generals said worryingly. Asopius sighed and proceeded to walk out of the tent to see what was wrong. Awaiting him and his two co-generals were several hundred Argive and allied soldiers who were not happy.

“What is this?” said a now annoyed Asopius infront of the mob.

“We want to fight the Spartans!” one soldier shouted out. “We are sick of waiting upon the heights and watch them march towards us while we do nothing at all!”

“Why do we stand here upon Mount Alesion like a confused herd of sheep when we had two chances to scythe them down?” another hoplite shouted out. “Do the gods not favour us?” Murmurings of agreement rippled throughout the hostile crowd.

“Speaking ill of the gods can be considered blasphemous,” Asopius replied bluntly. “We stand and wait on the heights because it is the right thing to do,” Many men shook their heads.

“I say attacking them is the right thing to do!” roared a peltast. Several men cheered raucously. Asopius sighed knowing that he didn’t have the full confidence of the army. This was because the high command and the elite Argive Thousand was made up of aristocrats. The rest of the rank and file were democrats and this difference in ideologies meant that there was tension that was now being exacerbated.

“You and your aristocrats are cowering behind the heights like a whipped boy. Only a fool would think staying here is the right thing to do,” another hoplite pointed out.

“Do you lay the charge of cowardice upon me?” Asopius said menacingly.

“No,” was the reply. “I lay the charge of prodidontai ,” Stunned silence filled throughout Mount Alesion. Asopius knew that the charge of treason was serious and if found guilty would mean exile or death. The general knew he had been outplayed because if it did come to an inquiry then those dissident soldiers had a case. He had refused to attack the Spartans twice when there had been a slight opportunity to do so. Asopius didn’t want to face an inquiry full of hard-line oligarchs. There was only one thing that he could do.

“So be it,” said Asopius. “If you want a battle then we shall give them a battle,” The mob that had abused him were now cheering the general.

“However,” Asopius said seriously towards the rank and file. “If tomorrow leads us to ruin and defeat then the whole of Greece will know it was you and not I who lost this battle,” The men of Argos nodded, fully aware it was they who were under pressure. Asopius then turned to his co-generals who looked surprised at this turn of events.

“Sound the alert along the camp,” the Argive ordered. “We move out tonight at the dead of night slowly and quietly,” The junior generals nodded and headed out to rouse the army from the camp and to move out of Mount Alesion. While this was taking place Asopius shook his head at what just took place. He had been forced by his men to fight a battle that he didn’t want.

Asopius prayed to the gods that he wouldn’t be punished for backing down.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 03-15-2010 @ 05:55 PM).]

posted 18 March 2010 05:51 EDT (US)     22 / 44  
I like the way you portray the command tents of each army- bitter infighting instead of one genius and everyone else nodding.

Good update!

posted 21 March 2010 15:44 EDT (US)     23 / 44  
Chapter Seven: The Battle of Mantinea.

The morning was picturesque with the sun shining and the land calm. But all that was shattered, with the thundering sound of several thousand Peloponnesians, marching towards the sanctuary of Heracles. Agis was marching with his retinue at the rear of the army so he could observe his men. The Spartan king’s spirits were high, fully aware that soon the Argives would be knee deep in water and would have to fight. As they entered the Pelagos Wood the sound of men marching in unison was music to Agis’ ears. However as they emerged out of the trees and the blossoming late summer leaves the soldiers of the Peloponnesian League were stunned at what lay ahead.

“By the Gods!” muttered the Spartan king in shock. “How can this be?” The Spartan’s shock was understandable, as five hundred paces away, lay the entire Argive army. Asopius had marched his force at the dead of night not far from the woods and had waited patiently until the Spartans had arrived. Now it was the Argives who were ready for battle. Agis shook off his shock and prepared to act like a king.

“Form battle positions,” he dictated to his officers in charge of the columns. “The Tegeans shall have the honour of the right wing seeing they are fighting for their homeland,” The orders were relayed effortlessly and very quickly the officers of the Spartan and allied columns had managed to spread out into a long line. While this manoeuvre was taking place Pharax had arrived to meet Agis.

“I applaud you on getting into battle formation quickly,” the advisor said to Agis who nodded at the compliment. “May the gods give us victory this day,” The king nodded to the advisor as Pharax galloped away. Agis looked ahead and chuckled lightly to his aide de camp.

“These Argives nearly lost me this battle before it has even begun,” he said. “A shame that Pleistoanax or our Corinthian and Boeotian allies won’t be able to come to enjoy this battle. However I thank the gods those Argives were too weak and just stood there instead of attacking our disarrayed columns,”

“Maybe they cowered at the sight of seeing the glory of Sparta and our allies, strategos!” the aide de camp cackled.

“Or maybe they want a head on fight,” he replied, as he surveyed his army. Agis had overall nine thousand men at his disposal. On his left flank were two thousand Spartan neodamodeis: helots who had gained their freedom from service to Sparta that were also the grizzled veterans of Brasidas’ daring campaign in Thrace. They were joined on their flank with a battalion of six hundred Spartans known as the Sciritae: tough men from the barren lands in the northern frontier of Laconia.

The Sciritae were placed in their usual slot, the left flank, widely considered the weak spot in a battleline. Agis had been mindful to place a small detachment of cavarly along both flanks. The centre was bolstered with three thousand five hundred men that were a mixture of Spartan and Peloponnesian allies like the Arcadians from the villages in Heraea or Maenalia based north of the Spartan province of Laconia. On the right wing were three thousand Tegeans along with the small detail of cavalry and a small squad of Spartan hoplites to support the Tegeans.

Across the plain the Argives had placed two thousand Mantineans, a thousand Arcadians in the service of the Argive League and the elite corp of the Argive Thousand on the right flank. In the centre were two thousand Argives and a thousand hoplites from the towns of Orneae and Cleonae. On the left were just one thousand Athenians and a few hundred cavarly. Overall the commanders of the Argive League had eight thousand men, but they felt confident that they could win.

After his men had formed into battle positions the king looked at his signaller and gave the signal to advance. Soon a series of flags were waved and the Spartan led army marched towards the Argives. As soon as the first man moved forward, a cheer came about from across the plain, as the Argive coalition began to advance as well. The pipers of the Spartan army began to play their melodies, so to keep the rhythm and order of the long phalanx, as the hoplites walked at their usual slow pace. Meanwhile the allied Argive army were charging eagerly at the foe, as they thundrered along the lush plains of Mantinea, their helmets and shields glistening in their sun.

As the two armies were closing in Agis was troubled by something he had seen. Although the Spartan line outflanked the Argives on the right, where the Tegeans faced the Athenians, it was different on the left where the Scritrae and the veterans of Brasidas were positioned. Agis’ mind clicked into gear knowing that the enemy were targeting his left flank and would try to break it before his Tegeans on the right could defeat the Athenians.

In addition Agis’ face grimaced at seeing the standards of the Mantineans and the Argive Thousand who were the pride of the Argive League. Soon Agis summoned two horseborne riders to him and informed them the orders he was to take towards its intended destinations. Quickly the first runner on his horse galloped towards the left wing and saluted the battalion commander of the Scritae.

“Orders from Agis,” the runner said after catching his breath. “You and the neodamodeis are to break off from the army and shift left until you are parallel to the enemy on your flank,”

“But that will leave a hole the size of Olympus between the centre and where Agis wants us to be!” the commander protested.

“You will get men to fill in the gap,” the rider replied.

The second rider had been despatched to the right side of the centre that was under the sector of two captains, Aristocles and Hipponoidas, who each commanded a company of five hundred men. The rider both saluted the two captains who had quickly met up to discuss tactics before clashing with the oncoming Argive hoplites opposite them.

“Are you Aristocles and Hipponoidas?” the rider asked. Both nodded. The messenger told the two officers of the hole opened by moving the Sciritae to the left to match the enemy’s right flank. “Agis has ordered you to quickly shift your two companies to fill in the gap,” Both commanders looked stunned at this order.

“Does our strategos seek to lose this battle already?” Aristocles growled. “The enemy is almost upon us!” he pointed to the oncoming Argives.

“Tell Agis that we refuse these orders!” Hipponoidas sneered. “He may seek to lose this battle, but we don’t!”

“Then by the gods hope that this battle will be lost,” the rider warned turning his horse away. “For if it isn’t then hope Agis shows mercy,” The rider then kicked his horse gently before galloping away. Soon the messenger reached his king.

“What of Aristocles and Hipponoidas?” Agis asked.

“They refuse your orders, strategos,” came the reply. The Spartan king face turned to one of shock and then turned to his other rider who gave his message to the Sciritae.

“Get back there at once!” he ordered. “Tell them the order has been countermanded!” But it was too late. The brutal sound that reverberated across the plain was one of men and equipment clashing into one another. A roar then echoed, as Agis saw that battle has been joined. Men across the line were now hacking one another seeking to gain an advantage. Blood flowed whether staining men or the once immaculate armour of hoplites. Stray spears flew around catching unaware men who fell badly wounded or succumbed to death.

“Strategos!” screamed a messenger to Asopius. “The Spartans on the right are fleeing. They opened up a huge hole before we engaged and they are overwhelmed!” The Argive commander gave a smile, as he looked towards the right and saw several hundred Argives and Mantineans plug into the hole.

“Drive forward and destroy the enemy’s left flank utterly,” he said darkly. The rider nodded and turned back towards the fighting. The Mantineans and the Argive Thousand shifted right and were engaging the hard hit veterans of Brasidas and the Sciritae who were under pressure. Little did Asopius know he made a mistake.

“The left flank has routed!” exclaimed Agis in disbelief.

“Yes, strategos,” said the messenger. “But they are shifting to destroy those sections of our left flank still fighting!” The Spartan king sighed, as he looked towards his left flank, but then quickly brightened up when the next dispatch rider arrived.

“Strategos, the enemy centre has folded!” he said triumphantly. Agis looked forward and saw a mass of Argives and their allies fleeing in panic and the Spartans pursuing. A large horn then blew and the Athenians on the right flank were fleeing as well in good order after witnessing the disintegration of the centre. Now Agis’ confidence returned and made sure he would use it to good use.

“Runner, tell the Tegeans not to pursue the Athenians,” he ordered. “Tell them of the situation on the left flank and get all available forces that aren’t pursuing those Argives fleeing at the centre to save our left flank immediately!” The runner nodded and relayed the orders.

Meanwhile Asopius had been furious when seeing his centre implode and flee. Some of them had been trampled when they had routed. His despair grew when locating the Athenians retreating, but their cavalry providing a stern rearguard to the advancing Tegeans.

“Damn these cowards!” he hissed to himself. Asopius had no choice, as he gathered what last reserves he had available, galloping to assist the Mantineans and elite corps of the Argive Thousand.

“Push on, men!” roared a Spartan officer, as the cheers of the Spartans were met with a clashing of swords and spears. The Argives and Mantineans had quickly shifted from killing fleeing Spartans to defending for their lives. The Mantineans had been caught out, as the Argive Thousand simply moved into a defensive position. However the Mantineans had felt the full brunt, as the sheer number of Tegeans, Arcadians and Spartans took its toll. Quickly some fled and were cut down while others tried to surrender and were killed straightaway.

Now there was only the Argive Thousand left. They stood there in a circle, with their shields enveloping their fellow man and their spears protruding outwards, ready to pierce the blood of anyone that dared tried to attack. Ahead of them was the dead body of Asopius, whose efforts to cover the Mantinean retreat was a gash on his head and a spear in his chest.

Agis, covered in blood after killing many Mantineans, looked at the Argives who were now surrounded. But before he could give the order to attack Pharax arrived. He had been angry with Agis by the strategos decision making that left a hole on the left flank, but it had happened so fast the advisors couldn’t counter it. Pharax was relived the battle had been won, but now he saw a chance to help Agis.

“Let them go,” Pharax said to Agis when he reached him. “The battle here is already won,”

“Why should I let the best fighters of Argos go when I have them at my mercy?” Agis cackled.

“Because if you do,” he answered. “You can end the Argive League if you listen to me,” Agis looked confused, but he was aware Pharax was well respected in Sparta. If the lead advisor said the Argive League could break up by letting them go then there was a pretty good chance it could.

“Release them!” Agis boomed to the irritation of the Spartans. The Argive Thousand showed no emotion through their helmets. They quickly moved out of their defensive formation and quick marched northwards towards Mantinea. Soon the Peloponnesian army cheered, as they celebrated a hard fought victory.

Agis was in his royal tent and had received a tablet indicating the losses in the battle. Overall casualties had been light: only a few hundred killed with the majority on the left flank that had been overrun. The enemy had lost up to over a thousand with half of the deaths Mantinean and the rest Argives in the centre. The Athenians had lost a few men. The bodies had been buried with the enemy receiving their dead.

Agis had also written a arrest warrant for Aristocles and Hipponoidas for insubordination and cowardice. He would make sure they would pay for disobeying his orders and would make sure they would be exiled for life. But as Agis finished reading the casualty reports Pharax arrived.

“A great victory was won today,” Pharax said. “The Spartan assembly will be pleased at your performance,”

“It would have been an even greater victory if the Argive Thousand had been destroyed,” Agis replied. Pharax sighed.

“Do you know why I asked you to do that?” he asked Agis.

“To prevent heavy losses?”

“No,” Pharax said. “The Argive Thousand are aristocrats and are oligarchs. To kill most of them would mean the democrats would still rule Argos and allow the continuation of the Argive alliance with the Athenians, Mantineans and Eleans. But by sparing them they will receive prestige from the Argive people. They were the ones who fought and died on that left flank, while those in the centre fled very quickly,”

“Ah,” Agis smiled. “Now I see,” Pharax chuckled.

“I understand. Your judgement was clouded anyway by killing too many men,”

The next day the three thousand Eleans and one thousand Athenian reinforcements arrived at Mantinea. However their late arrival meant all they could do was to march east to Epidaurus, build defences and leave a garrison behind it. In addition Aristocles and Hipponoidas were charged and found guilty of cowardice by the Spartan government in a board of inquiry. They were exiled.

Meanwhile the Spartans however wanted to use the victory at Mantinea to end this war. In November Lichas, the same Spartan who defied the Eleans at the Olympiad, was sent to Argos to table a peace offer to them.

But unlike a few months ago the Argive League was in trouble and there were those in Argos who actually welcomed Spartan negotiations. But it wasn’t because their intention was peace: they sought something more sinister closer to home.

[This message has been edited by Legion Of Hell (edited 03-22-2010 @ 07:08 AM).]

posted 22 March 2010 04:04 EDT (US)     24 / 44  
You still do battles well; now your expertise in politics and intrigue is growing. Wheels inside of gears inside of wheels... Always tricky, always delicate, yet you do it well.

Congrats on a good installment.

However, these need work:

Spartan king’s spirits were high fully aware
Spartan king’s spirits were high, fully aware

The Sciritae were placed in their place of origin in battle on the left
(This was confusing. Please fix)

dead body of Asopius, as his efforts to cover the Mantinean retreat was a gash on his head and a spear in his chest

dead body of Asopius, whose effort to cover the Mantinean retreat was rewarded with a gash on his head and a spear in his chest

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-22-2010 @ 04:05 AM).]

posted 22 March 2010 07:09 EDT (US)     25 / 44  
Thanks. I have fixed the minor mistakes that you have pointed out.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » The Great Peloponnesian War: Volume II- The False Peace.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames