Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: TWH Macedon Swap - Signups
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11 October 2010 12:29 EDT (US)   
Game thread accessible here.

So, Macedon scraped first place in faction selection; time to move on to the next stage.

This thread is pretty obvious; if you are going to participate, post and say so. Also post which position you would like to hold on the roster. I will start us off with the first turn or two to ensure there is no cheating with settings.

When we have enough people (eight to ten) we will start. If we don't get enough signups before the 24th, this will start on the 29th as I will be away the days in between and don't want to miss the beginning. This thread will remain open throughout the Swap in case anyone wants to join in midway.

Participating in a Swap is pretty simple; one person starts the game. We then pass the savegame round the forumers by email until we win. After each player's turns, they send the save back to the Swapmaster (me) who sends it on to the next player on the roster. That way you don't have to publicise your email. When you receive the save, unzip it (using a program such as WinZip or 7Zip - we usually compress saves to .zip files to speed up downloads/uploads and reduce the risk of file corruption), and place it in your C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly [or Activision]\Rome - Total War\saves (if you can't find your saves in your saves folder on Vista, try clicking "Compatibility Files"). Start up your game, and load the Swap just as you would any other save. Once you have played your turns, save the file as "Macedonswap###". Replace the "###" with the number following the one on the save you received. So the first person on the roster will receive save "Macedonswap001" from me, and once he has played his turns he will save it as "Macedonswap002" and send it back to me, etc. This means we can keep track of what's going on, and I will have all the saves stored safely in case something goes wrong. It's simple. If you have any technical difficulties, I will be happy to help. Once you have played your turns and sent the save on, post a summary on the Game Thread of what you achieved (screenshots are nice but optional).

Settings: (only major objections please)
Difficulty: Hard Battles, Hard Campaign (I'm adaptable)
Morale, Ammunition, Fatigue on
Unit scale: Normal (40) (not everyone's systems can happily support large)

Of course you can use your own graphics options. Mods will not work; you don't even have to make Macedon playable, only the person who starts needs to do that.

Players:
BastWorhsipper
GundamMerc
Nickel531
Scipii
Edorix
Crownjumper
ExecutionSquare
Orcrist_Beleg (start)
Equilibrius (middle)

Each player keeps the save for approximately five turns or three days, whichever comes first. If you need more time, say so. If you won't be available for your go, say so. And check your email and the game thread regularly. The amount of annoyance caused in previous Swaps by people who just don't keep in touch is unbelievable.

So, in or not in, and position on the roster.

Examples of previous Swap games here and here.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-21-2010 @ 12:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11 October 2010 13:00 EDT (US)     1 / 43  
In like Flynn.

I approve of the game settings. I don't care where you put me on the roster.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 11 October 2010 14:56 EDT (US)     2 / 43  
I'm in.

You can count on me to minimalize casualties (at least, non-mercenary casualties) during sieges, and to focus on the economy. Field battles aren't my thing though.
posted 11 October 2010 18:50 EDT (US)     3 / 43  
wish i had the game i would have loved to do the swap thingy
anyway good luck everybody i will be following this swap game closely
i'm out
posted 12 October 2010 01:44 EDT (US)     4 / 43  
i'm out.....I cant play on very high difficulty.......sorry

plus i have a big term at school comming up so need to focus on that....

sorry again

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 12 October 2010 06:59 EDT (US)     5 / 43  
Coward!

Just joking, I only play very hard during swap games, otherwise it's medium/medium for me!
posted 12 October 2010 08:01 EDT (US)     6 / 43  
I'm in. Anywhere will do.
And Med. Med. on single player is the same for me. but hard hard is awesome

In war, you ethier die hero, or live long enough to see yourself turn into a villan.-Anoynomous

[This message has been edited by Nickel531 (edited 10-12-2010 @ 04:46 PM).]

posted 12 October 2010 10:56 EDT (US)     7 / 43  
VH isn't really very VH... but whatever, I have reduced it to H/H. I may reduce either battle or campaign difficulty further if a few people want, but I'd also like to try and entice our more experienced players. Evidently I miscalculated.

posted 12 October 2010 12:25 EDT (US)     8 / 43  
Please, don't reduce the difficulty.

For those who would like to play, but are concerned about the difficulty, you shouldn't worry about it. We each only play a few turns at a time; so you can't dig too deep a hole. Then, the better players can even things out.

This is a group effort, and on the average, I think we can win on VH campaign. Besides, that is the most fun. The AI is more aggressive and will confront you with real armies.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
posted 12 October 2010 13:16 EDT (US)     9 / 43  
I've found Hard campaigns often are harder than the Very Hard ones.

The aggressiveness of the AI on VH often leads it to overextend and to be rather stupid. Attack and attack, with no thought to infrastructure or logistical support. The massive and unrealistic bonuses to finance it gets helps that stupidity keep going, but it often still leaves itself open for a good counterattack.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 12 October 2010 19:40 EDT (US)     10 / 43  
What Terikel says is true...

Caesar: No, I am NOT coming to the celebration. I need to stay home and spend time with my wife!

Decimus: But Caesar, they'll give you a crown if you come!

Caesar: OH! I go to the senate. I want a salad.
posted 12 October 2010 20:13 EDT (US)     11 / 43  
Plus it's Macedon. There aren't many factions that can rival the ease of the Macedonian campaign.

As of yet, I will not participate. Perhaps later when Roma Surrectum bores me I shall return to vanilla and join in.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 12 October 2010 23:06 EDT (US)     12 / 43  
when is this going to start?
posted 13 October 2010 01:50 EDT (US)     13 / 43  
What Terikel says is true.
Always.

Remember this, people.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the chance to take that comment out of context.)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 10-13-2010 @ 01:51 AM).]

posted 13 October 2010 04:02 EDT (US)     14 / 43  
The noble Scipii shall lend his sword to this venture. No qualms about where I start, but the sooner the quicker I can have some fun. No qualms about the settings either since I can run the game on Huge unit settings at Max. Not to mention the more 'realistic' and harder, usually, the better.
posted 13 October 2010 07:09 EDT (US)     15 / 43  
Yay! Halfway there!
posted 13 October 2010 07:40 EDT (US)     16 / 43  
Nearly forgot to add myself to the list of players.

posted 13 October 2010 12:33 EDT (US)     17 / 43  
I'd be happy to join.

Conclusions are the point where you got tired of thinking.
posted 13 October 2010 13:37 EDT (US)     18 / 43  
Okay, just need a couple more players and then we can start...

posted 15 October 2010 12:58 EDT (US)     19 / 43  
Bump.
posted 18 October 2010 06:50 EDT (US)     20 / 43  
Bumpity bump...
posted 18 October 2010 15:17 EDT (US)     21 / 43  
wait how did you post twice in a row?
posted 18 October 2010 15:45 EDT (US)     22 / 43  
I would like.

But could you reduce the unit size, as closer to default (40), as possible?

Only movment brings victory.
posted 18 October 2010 16:18 EDT (US)     23 / 43  
I'd like to lend my clicker to this swap.

But...
'you don't even have to make Macedon playable, only the person who starts needs to do that.'
If that is true, I am in... I have had problems unlocking the 'Unplayables'.

I am not sure what version I have. I bought a Gold Edition a couple years ago (RTW + BI). Can not find any text on where to view this info. :/

'But could you reduce the unit size, as closer to default (40), as possible?'
Seconded^

Vini, Vidi, Vino.

[This message has been edited by Orcrist_Beleg (edited 10-18-2010 @ 04:23 PM).]

posted 18 October 2010 20:32 EDT (US)     24 / 43  
I think of large as default... but I will make do with smaller forces. Besides, it will add an atmosphere of fighting with more elite units if the unit size is smaller.

As to how I posted twice in a row... I guess I am blessed by the gods. I just decided to post a second time to bump the thread, and it was all like "go ahead, this was divined to be your destiny" and such.

"Oh, Edorix, Edorix, where art thou my Edorix!"
We have some more raw recruits to use in our cricket game against Rome. I do believe we have enough to start a match, eh? I'm also hungry for some Greek McRib Sandwiches and a side of Thracian bacon.(and apologies ahead of time if this isn't exactly correct Shakespearean english, I'm not good in that area)
posted 18 October 2010 20:33 EDT (US)     25 / 43  
If you have gold you should be fine. (I did it again! This is just a test to see if I could do it again. I will just edit messages from here on out.)

[This message has been edited by GundamMerc (edited 10-18-2010 @ 08:34 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » TWH Macedon Swap - Signups
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames