Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Das Reich!
posted 29 June 2008 19:04 EDT (US)   
NOTE - I DID NOT USE CHEATS! I ONLY TURNED OFF THE FOG OF WAR BEFORE I TOOK CONSTANTINOPLE SO I COULD SEE THE ENTIRE MAP IN PERSPECTIVE TO MY EMPIRE!

Byzantines it is! Expect an update every few turns.

==============================================

The Holy Roman Empire

Well, I finally set my personal all-time record for a long-campain victory, 39 turns.

Settings -

Battle Difficulty - VH
Campain Difficulty - Hard

I could have gotten it in under 34 turns, but the bloody French just refused to die, so I turned at the Byzantines and probably could have still beat it by 36 if I hadn't wanted Constantilople as my final city so badly.

My first goal was obviously Italy, as it is the Greece(Rtw) of MTW2. From there I immediatly turned on the Pope, securing a some-what more centralized center. After taking Denmark, Sweden, Present Day German, Italy, and Scicily, I turned my attention to Europe. I was making more than 20k a turn, so I started a war on 4 fronts, and it went quite smoothly. Each turn I took at least one settlement, and none could appose the mighty Deutsch Legionen (German Legions) as they stormed through France and Eastern Europe. The French did resist my effoerts wit 4 full stacks defending their final 3 cities, so I abandoned hope after wasting 4 turns. I turned my attention on the Jihad-weakened Byzantines, and wasted another 3 turns securing Constantinople as my final city.

As you can obviously tell, The HRE is by FAR my favorite faction. They don't have the best of anything, but the Dism. Fuedals, Teutonic Knights, and Pavise Crossbowmen are hard to beat with ANY unit combination in the first 40 turns.

Another thing that made it a LOT easier was the fact that I was excommunicated. I got a 24 year old general to full dread and 7 command stars on his campains through Poland, Hungary, and Greece/Byzantium.

I had no Allies at the end, a Decietful reputation, and lead every category by far. I was enemies with every faction in the game, and I had another 9 cities I took after I ended that turn.

I do NOT plan on continuing with my Campains across the world, I find the next hundred-or-so turns boring as once you get that many cities, it becomes tedious to manage the cities and that many armies.

Note - This took me 5 days to do, with ZERO auto resolved battles.

Pics -

Leben sie lange und gedeihen meine freundes.
Live long and Prosper my Friends.

[This message has been edited by HereticPope (edited 06-30-2008 @ 11:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 29 June 2008 21:33 EDT (US)     1 / 22  
Jesus, you even exiled the Pope! Too bad you weren't the Chancellor of Germany in WWII. Good job!

How about giving the Poles a go? I never seen a good Polish empire.

Michael Jackson
posted 29 June 2008 21:38 EDT (US)     2 / 22  
Jesus, you even exiled the Pope!
I disliked the White of Rome, and I got yet MORE annoyed when he kept ambushing me, so I just gave him a homeland where he could do no harm to me. (I made sure to raze that settlement first, and mass-recruit so it had 400 Population and no buildings but the basics.)

I then put ships between the "Arrow-Bridges" of the islands near Demark to prevent him from crossing. It was quite interesting, 3 Papal full-stacks roaming the countryside.
Too bad you weren't the Chancellor of Germany in WWII.
Ahh, I could have rectified Hitlers mistakes...all he had to do was concentrate on Britain and devolope longe-range bombers and he would have been unstoppable...:'(

And my Great-Grandfather was the one of the Commandants that led Bergen-Belsen (Concentration Camp), plus I have always felt a dedication to the Mother Land.

I'll add the Poles to the votes. First to get 3 is what I'll play.

Edit - I might try a Mongolian Relocation Campain, I'm considering moving the Mongols to Demark...I doubt it though, it would be too easy to use my HA's against the Europeans when all they have is Spear Militia.

[This message has been edited by HereticPope (edited 06-29-2008 @ 09:45 PM).]

posted 29 June 2008 21:51 EDT (US)     3 / 22  
Yep. HA's vs. Spearmen=Heroic Victory everytime.

Michael Jackson
posted 29 June 2008 21:54 EDT (US)     4 / 22  
Yep. HA's vs. Spearmen=Heroic Victory everytime.
Speaking of Heroic Victories, I have 4 Battle Markers in one spot. I managed to fend off 4 Half-Stacks of the Venetians using 4 Teutonic Knights, a Family member, 1 Sergeant Spearman, and 2 Balkan Archers. It was quite the show actually, one attack after another on that stack outside of Venice.
posted 29 June 2008 21:55 EDT (US)     5 / 22  
Outside of Venice eh? Might ye be doing bridge battles? That's how I always take Venice.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 06-29-2008 @ 09:55 PM).]

posted 29 June 2008 21:57 EDT (US)     6 / 22  
Nah, it was a bit more to the right. They trapped me between the mountains, their armies, and Venice's Port. I never thought I would win, but the Teutonic Knights have a way to cause route's very quickly once you get 4 of them charging from different directions...

Edit -

I knew I should have taken Zagreb sooner, I just had never got around to it. Those 4 Half-Stacks taught me to never leave a Faction with only one city...finish what you start every time.

[This message has been edited by HereticPope (edited 06-29-2008 @ 09:58 PM).]

posted 29 June 2008 21:58 EDT (US)     7 / 22  
I vote for the Byzantines, I tried playing them twice but I got bored, it would be cool to see one of their empires.

KeithLB- 85% German 10% Lithuanian 2.5% Irish and 2.5% English
posted 29 June 2008 22:00 EDT (US)     8 / 22  
Looking good for the Byzantines so far. I've heard the DOMINATE early game but end up short after a while. Should be perfect for my Blitzkreig-Style Campain though.

Well I'm off for the **Knight**
posted 30 June 2008 05:35 EDT (US)     9 / 22  
Too bad you can't prove you played on H/VH and didn't use cheats....
If you didn't, you are really good. It must have taken you ages to learn to play that good....
posted 30 June 2008 11:06 EDT (US)     10 / 22  
We trust him, Leo

Bloody hell- You've beaten my record of 54 turns, as I like to sit back a bit. I'd like to see you do a Byzantine one, though- should be fun.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 30 June 2008 11:24 EDT (US)     11 / 22  
Too bad you can't prove you played on H/VH and didn't use cheats....
If you didn't, you are really good. It must have taken you ages to learn to play that good....
I've played TW games since I bought the origional Medieval TW, so a good few years, and I've gotten to know the AI very well. It all becomes predictable after enough battles. I have also been a (depending on how hard my schoolwork is at the time)active forum member for the past year+, on HereticPope and Roman_Conquerer.

You shame me for saying that I would lie online about cheats/difficulty.
Bloody hell- You've beaten my record of 54 turns, as I like to sit back a bit. I'd like to see you do a Byzantine one, though- should be fun.
Actually, the HRE is one of the easiest factions to perform a Blitz-Campain with, as they have 4 fronts; once you capture Italy you roll in money. You can thus take 2 or 3 cities every turn.

Alas, my internet is....not the most reliable....so don't expect to see me online anyday.

So the Byzantines it is. Don't expect anything under 50 here, the Byzantines have such a spread out starting position, I'll be lucky to get it under 60. However, they DO have Constantinople and Nicea, so...
posted 06 July 2008 22:40 EDT (US)     12 / 22  
Most impressive campaign I've heard of. I like HRE too, but I found them to be to easy. Instead I went with Russia.

Ryth of the new MSK program
posted 08 July 2008 13:19 EDT (US)     13 / 22  
They don't have the best of anything, but the Dism. Fuedals, Teutonic Knights, and Pavise Crossbowmen are hard to beat with ANY unit combination in the first 40 turns.
I'm confused. I just got the game a few weeks ago (Father's Day), and on only my second campaign, this one with the HRE.

I am on approximately turn 60, give or take a few years. The only unit of these I have accessible are the Teutonic Knights, which I got roughly in turn 40 (which to me, seems to be a rather random event). Now I haven't been on a blitzkrieg, and following the experience of a difficult campaign with England, I've concentrated more on financial matters, though I still have a capable army.

How do you get these better units so quickly?

"To dilute the will to win is to destroy the purpose of the game. There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur
posted 08 July 2008 14:07 EDT (US)     14 / 22  
How do you get these better units so quickly?
1 Word.

Palermo

I can't recall if it starts as a fortress or not, or gets Fortress in the first 10 turns, but either way you should get it ASAP! It should be one of your top priorities, as it can pump out Dism Fuedals and other 'Power Units' like theres no tommorow.
posted 17 July 2008 10:40 EDT (US)     15 / 22  
Awesome work. I usually play Rome, and I've never played a Medieval II campaign past the first ten turns before, but I just love Blitzing as any faction, and my personal best is 38 turns Seleucid campaign and 30 turn Gaul campaign.

Anyways, back on topic. I want to do something like this for my first ever complete campaign, and I chose the French for this purpose. Anyways, there's no way I can beat 39 turns, but I'm still learning my way around, and I'm pretty pleased. I took shots of every turn, and I might write it up as an AAR afterwards. Anyways, here's my current progress.

And BTW, I have no clue how you got all those top notch units so quickly, I haven't even got a Fortress yet, my best troops are Armored Sergeants, Mailed Knights and Peasant Crossbowmen, and I'm still relying on Mercenary Pikemen and Crossbowmen for almost half of my armies. Palemo is, as far as I can tell, still a castle.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Proud Member of TWH since 2007 and AoKH since 2004
Seleucid AAR|Sarmatian AAR | Spain AAR
posted 17 July 2008 23:20 EDT (US)     16 / 22  
Odd, I just re-tested it as the HRE, and Palermo became a fortress at turn 11.

Make sure you max out Toulusse's (spelling?) farms, and recruit NOTHING from that. You should get the pop fast enough.

EDIT - The HRE also has the HUGE bonus of Teutonic Knights, which (if you play right) you can get about turn 9, when most of your enemies don't even have cavalry! They're some of the best knights in the game (IMO), just because I love their uniforms

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by HereticPope (edited 07-17-2008 @ 11:22 PM).]

posted 18 July 2008 09:04 EDT (US)     17 / 22  
Hmm, that's weird. Maybe the Sicilians have just been pumping out every unit they can get their hands on from Palermo, but they don't seem to have that big a population yet.

As for Toulouse, I knew I probably shouldn't be recruiting from that, but it's the only place I can recruit Peasant Crossbowmen, and for awhile was the main source of troops for the Iberian Peninsula and Italy. The farming has been maxed out, and I will be sure not to recruit there anymore.

BTW how exactly do you get the Templar guild? The only one I've been offered is a Thieves Guild in Milan, and that happened the turn after I took it back from Venice.

I'm not doing very great, as I hadd lost Marseille to the Sicilians and Milan to the Venetians for a couple of turns before taking them back. Basically I'm having to learn my way around everything while blitzing. There's no way I can do it in less than 40 turns, but I will considering challenging you for Byzantines, and I will definitely be playing an HRE campaign sometime.

And how do you handle assaults? I find it pretty hard to take walls with crappy spearman, so I mostly autoresolve them. The results aren't bad, but they aren't in any way stellar.

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
posted 18 July 2008 10:17 EDT (US)     18 / 22  
1. Its NOT the Knights Templar. They are the Teutonic Knights, unique to the HRE.

2. I find that if you quickly secure trade rights and an alliance with as amny people as you can around the Scicilians, they will be less likely to produce troops. In the early game, I made allies with EVERYONE I came across (later betraying them, but oh well), and I surrounded the Scicilians with allies, and never threatened them. They got a fortress pretty fast.

Note - Merc. Crossbowmen > Peasant Crossbows
posted 18 July 2008 10:23 EDT (US)     19 / 22  
From looking at the screenshots I assume things're as I expect them?

Short time win = Far-spread units, riots, rebels, basically a 'race' to the finish line, destroying everything in our wake and painting it blue.

Not for me thanks
posted 18 July 2008 11:03 EDT (US)     20 / 22  
Interesting campaigns you have here, but I'm more of a slow expansion - settle in and build up a steady economy before I go all-out.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 18 July 2008 17:58 EDT (US)     21 / 22  
Yes, there were quite a few rebel armies marching around my lands, but most of my cities were yellow/green. And I just wanted to see if I could do it, which I did
posted 19 July 2008 06:43 EDT (US)     22 / 22  
There was no way I could afford the troops to get rid of those 2 big rebel stacks around London. They were former English stacks, filled with Mailed Knights, some Levy Spearmen and some Archers.

I know Merc Xbows>Peasant Xbows, but they are very expensive (860 florin!). Most of the time I can't afford them. Meanwhile, the Peasant variety only costs 220 florin, and do the job just as well.

Unfortunately, the game keeps CTDing after I end my turn. If there is no way around that, then I may have to start over. If I do, I will probably be playing the Byzantines

.\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
/\ingjianma/
|____
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » Das Reich!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames