Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pagan Lithuania...
posted 08 August 2008 14:18 EDT (US)   
Just some thoughts.

I've been playing as Lithuania (A HUGE turn for me, as I'm usually found playing Demark, the Teutonic Order, HRE, because I love Heavy Infantry), and have found out that my standard straight up Charge with cavalry + Shock Infantry to flanks - approach DOES NOT WORK. I've started to use the Fatantics now (Samagotti Axemen, Warriors of Pinsine [or whatever, they wear robes with Scythes]) to great effect recently. IF I can have them hide in the woods - and there are a LOT of woods around the Baltic... - and get behind the enemy lines, their Good Moral and the fact that they cause fear to the enemy PLUS their great charge/attack bonuses (Axemen hit like 18 with a charge of 11, and the Fanatics hit 12 with a charge of 9...) they can route any army that the Teutonic Order throws at me, even Dism. Ritterbruder.

Another thing is that they have Mounted HA's that have Effective Against Armour, and their basic Cavalry Militia use Javelins for 9's through armour!

I've found that Lithuania is an EXTRORDINARILY EASY faction to play on VH/VH if you can just master the art of Ambushes -> Blitz a city -> Ambush -> Blitz a city.

My best battle so far -

So, any thoughts?
Replies:
posted 10 August 2008 08:43 EDT (US)     1 / 5  
It really does depend on your style of play. if you often ambush, blitz and scout, then the campaign will be much easier. I've played Lithuania, and found that ambushing is by far the best tactic, and yes, it is a very easy campaign.
posted 11 August 2008 16:29 EDT (US)     2 / 5  
If you're used to playing more conventional factions, Lithuania can be hard to play but if you're willing to adjust and learn a new style of play, they have a lot to offer.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 12 August 2008 05:07 EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Lithuania seems good at my let-them-hunt-you-while-you-shoot-them tactic I used with Byzantine (I need to find a better name for it). You need a full cavalry army, with half or preferably more of them horse archers, and it works best when the enemy have few missile units and light cavalry. You let the enemy chase your heavy and light cavalry and shoot them from the flanks and rear with your horse archers. When you have decimated them and demoralised them you can charge them with your heavy cavalry. Be careful so your soldiers don't get trapped in a corner. Look at this, my beloved veteran Vardariotais. Note that the heavy cavalry have so much experience because I got some swordsmith guilds and a Templar’s headquarters.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

[This message has been edited by Thrashmad (edited 08-12-2008 @ 05:40 AM).]

posted 12 August 2008 18:13 EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Sounds like the same sort of transition I experienced when I moved to playing as more mobile factions like the Russians.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 13 August 2008 02:22 EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Lithuania is very easy to me too. Teutonic Order use mostly heavy infantry and heavy cavalry. And Lithuania has some of the best horses in that scenario. My tactic was: firstly I took out cavalry, than archers, after that their infantry is useless. One of the best units is I think Cavalry Militia(CM).

If you set yourself up on the hill, advance with CM, throw all javelins at their cavalry, attack them, withdraw, regroup, attack archers. By then the main line should be getting close to your line, attack with your infantry, outflank them with CM, mop up. I haven't played that campaign in a while but that tactic was working for me on VH/VH.

[This message has been edited by Mastah (edited 08-13-2008 @ 02:23 AM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » Pagan Lithuania...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames