You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Witch Hunt Mafia - Game Thread, IT IS OVER. Post mortem begins now.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
posted 12 November 2007 13:01 EDT (US)   
Day 7

The remaining townsfolk stumbled out. Their powers of logic were stretched to breaking point and surely they couldn't be far from ending this nightmare.

Surely?

Past storyline posts:

Day 1

The evangelist sat surveying his growing congregation with grim satisfaction. The small wooden church was filling up with townspeople, coming to hear his proclamation. He fingered the wide brim of his hat, and smiled. He might have had a manic glint in his eye, even. He could have a gold tooth, too, if you wanted. And a broken nose. He was one mean motherflippin’ servant of God.

As the last of the townspeople filed into a pew, he stood up, raised his arms to heaven, and roared:

“This town is DAMNED! DAMNED! The grasping talons of Satan’s whoreminions have closed about this town, and every one of you is at peril! Your immortal souls are in grave danger, and something must be done!”

The congregation, which looked rather like bit-players in The Crucible, recoiled from his rage. The front row wiped spittle from their eyes. The town’s Episcopalian priest, who was sitting behind the evangelist in the pulpit, coughed hesitantly, trying to attract attention. The evangelist whirled round and looked at him, eyes blazing. Yeah, you’re probably right, he had rotten teeth, too. And a scraggy beard.

The reverend looked sheepish. “Do you mean… Indians?” The evangelist goggled.

“Indians!? No, child!” The Reverend blinked; he was at least twenty years older than this haggard man of God. “I speak of witches! Handmaidens of the Prince of Lies! The Antichrist’s wet-nurses! Feminists!”

“Ohhhh,” breathed the congregation, as one. They knew how to deal with witches. They’d seen the films.

The evangelist outlined the plan, nonetheless. They would exercise judgement and investigative powers, identifying each witch in this town and putting them to death, hopefully cleansing their souls in the process. Well, that wasn’t so important. What was important was killing every last goblin’s spawn of them, before they could convert any more of the town to their heretical ways. The townspeople strode out of the church, filled with purpose, and one elderly man marched with a light in his eyes to his own house. He had something that would do for these witches. Much quicker than hanging… Sometimes, the will of God needed a musket to help it along.

Dusk
Friesian strode into the centre of Retail, where on the dusty square the assembled townsfolk were hotly debating who the witches could be. Many of them had pointed the finger at Friesian over the course of the day, saying that he was sure to be a witch. But now here he came, like an avenging angel, bent on destruction.

"Spawn of hell!" Friesian frothed at the mouth, pointing at grizzly137 and trembling. "You die, now!"

The townsfolk waited.

Nothing happened.

Friesian looked slightly sheepish, and crept off after maybe half a minute. The inhabitants of Retail, confused and directionless, went to their homes for the night. The day had been a total waste, and what the hell had that business with Friesian been about? I mean really.

Day 2

It rained. Pathetic fallacy was in full effect this day as the people of Retail reconvened. The witches had surely not been idle as they slept. But neither, they could only hope, had their protectors been idle...

It would be another long day of debate.

Midday

The crowd, in the midst of impassioned debate, jumped as one at the sound of the musket's cough. Leo IV stood with the smoking matchlock levelled at what had once been grizzly137's head. The corpse slumped backwards with a bloody, mangled mess at the top of its neck, and the blood welled out into the scratched words in the dirt that grizzly had been using to lend force to his argument. The crimson liquid perfectly filled the scratched Witch, and the crowd stared at this. They'd thought that grizzly was a simple farmer, but clearly he had been dancing with the devil of nights!

Leo IV smiled raggedly. "Plenty more where that came from," he cackled, and walked off, his job done for today.

Dusk

"In the name of God!" roared the evangelist. "You people are more indecisive than anyone I've ever seen. I've seen politicians more astute and determined than you!"

"Sorry," the reverend grinned, sheepishly.

"Oh, well. Let us to bed. And may Christ have mercy on your souls," the evangelist said. He stalked off.

And the witches, presumably, stalked out.

Day 3

Another day, another town meeting. The minutes of the last meeting were a bit boring. Hopefully today's would be more action-packed. One dead witch simply wasn't good enough. They had to get more.

Midday

Leo IV cackled as the body of Friesian was flung back by the force of the shot, coming to rest against a wall.

The pattern of blood spray on the wattle and plaster spelled out witch, freakily. The townspeople cheered as the onetime farmer's body cooled.

Dusk

The evangelist smiled. The participation in today's trials had been exactly what he wanted - full, single-minded, determined pursuit of evil. 'Blaine!' had been the name on everyone's lips. The poor man hadn't even had a chance to say a word in his own defence. The jury of inferiors had spoken, and they were in no mood to lengthen this abomination's stay on this earth.

The gallows, which were now permanently erected until such time as the town were satisfied that no witches remained, strained slightly as NA Lord Blaine struggled and twisted and danced the hempen jig. As the weaver choked away his life, the way his eyes rolled, Satanically, made clear that this misbegotten heathen was a witch!

The town cheered, slapping each other on the back and singing 'For he's a jolly good preacher'.

And the sun sank on the western horizon, and Satan's lollipop ladies were surely on the move once more.

Day 4

Three fresh graves now lay outside the churchyard. As the cockerels crowed, the townspeople assembled. They were on a roll. They were positively on a loaf. There was no stopping them. Those sons-of-witches better watch out.

They were going to do this thing.

Midday

Leo cackled as the body of Santos I was flung back by the force of the shot, coming to rest against a wall.

The pattern of blood spray on the wattle and plaster spelled out witch, freakily. The townspeople cheered as the onetime farmer's body cooled.

Dusk

The evangelist smirked as he looked at the handiwork of the latest day, although he was still rather unnerved by Leo IV's freelance witch-hunting. But it was all to the good. He'd saved time and effort and uncovered certain witches. And blown them halfway to hell; the evangelist's hectoring of their corpses had tongue-lashed them the rest of the way.

Lord Ahm had fought the gallows team every step of the way. The town's baker protested his innocence and had even tried to loosen the rope's grip on his neck as he did the morbid boogie. His acrobatics had brought applause, especially when it only served to tighten the noose further.

"Only witches do that," nodded the evangelist. "God is with us, my children!" Behind him, the reverend rolled his eyes, but didn't disagree. "Now, let us retire. We shall continue this crusade in the morning. Matthew Hopkins gots nothing on us!"

Day 5

Another day dawned. Another group of townspeople yawned. Something else happened which probably rhymed, I dunno.

And the townsfolk convened once more to root out the canker in their midst.

Midday

Jax's reasoned arguments proved too much for the aged Leo IV, whose sciatica was playing up and was probably in the grip of early-onset Alzheimers and unable to cope with complex sentences. His matchlock fired and the candlestick maker's chest cavity, uh, caved. Bloodily.

Fragments of bone flew through the air and spelled out 'Witch' momentarily before the dust and corpse settled.

Dusk

The townsfolk were plum tuckered out. They'd been attempting to eradicate this infestation of witchcraft and heresy for a good long while now, and they were losing the will to carry on. Even the evangelist was feeling the burn of all those sleepless nights kept worrying about his flock.

No-one wanted to draw attention to themselves and the killing of Jax, whose death had proved that even the most reasoned could be hiding their witchy impulses, had unnerved the remaining witch-hunters. However, they mustered the courage to cast the vote on Emperor Augustus, who was suspicious as hell. With a heavy heart the townsfolk carried him away and hanged the poor farmer.

Leo IV confidently pronounced him to be a witch - he was getting quite adept at telling by their death twitches - and the reverend trudged over and confirmed the analysis, with some surprise. He'd been having second thoughts. But... EA had been a witch after all.

"My children! We are surely near the end of this ordeal! Get some rest. We will reconvene in the morning."

Day 6

The sun rose, very very slowly. However, the townsfolks' spirits continued to fall. Not only were the nights unusually long for the time of year, but it seemed the witches still infected their community.

They had to do this. They had to cleanse the town.

They had to.

Midday

Confused and bewildered, the townsfolk dilly-dallied and made ineffectual suggestions.

Leo IV once more cut through the bullshit aiming his musket at Dio's chest.

"Don't shoot! I'm not a-"

BANG

"wiiiiiitch..."

The ex-farmer collapsed. The townsfolk cheered raggedly.

Dusk

The good people of Retail milled about in confusion for the remainder of the day, and as the sun sank in the west they just sort of gave up.

"We'll, uh, we'll keep going tomorrow, then?"

Stuffs
  • The game will follow the usual day-night sequence of all Mafia games, with lynchings taking place during the day. There will be no night deaths. Vigilante kills will be done during the day and announced in-thread by the vigilante.
  • Any player that doesn't vote for three days in a row will be removed from the game by the wrath of God.
  • Dead players do not speak. Giving away any information after death will not be tolerated.
  • Roles and numbers of each side will not be revealed. The town's roles are fairly standard, all told, with cop, vigilante, and bodyguard equivalents.
  • No post editing.

Inhabiting this Vale of Tears:
    CaesarVincens
    Count Mummolus
    dsmi1
    EnemyofJupitor
    Graceless
    Leo IV
    TinyPiesRUs

Rejoicing in Heaven:
    The Elect.

Burning in Hell:
    grizzly137, once a humble farmer before taken in Satan's grip.
    Friesian, a farmer now ploughing fields of brimstone for all eternity as heretics deserve.
    NA Lord Blaine, who will no longer weave foul heresies. Or cloth.
    Santos I, a Satan-sodomising farmer.
    Lord Ahm, now baking his demonic hell-bread where he belongs.
    Jax, whose phallic candlesticks shall no more taint the minds of good people.
    Emperor Augustus, yet another worker of the soil seduced by Old Nick's blandishments.
    Dio, whose agricultural witchery has been justly punished.

Night actions in for midnight GMT Saturday

[This message has been edited by Andrew Dunn (edited 01-28-2008 @ 06:43 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 12 November 2007 13:08 EDT (US)     1 / 944  
    Confirmed and ready to go.

I do like the story- wonder if it has any clues?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
    posted 12 November 2007 14:02 EDT (US)     2 / 944  
    Counted in

I don't notice any clues either yet.

CONFIRMED

[This message has been edited by Santos I (edited 11-12-2007 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 12 November 2007 14:24 EDT (US)     3 / 944  
    CONFIRMED

house won this
    posted 12 November 2007 14:54 EDT (US)     4 / 944  
    Confirmed

Just as some bodies, from the moment of birth, are endowed with beauty, while on others nature from their very beginning bestows blemishes and wrinkles, so with souls too, some are distinguished at once with extreme grace and attractiveness, while others leave a trail of sombre and deep gloom. ~Michael Psellus, Chronographia
    posted 12 November 2007 15:15 EDT (US)     5 / 944  
    Confirmed

"What are we going to do tomorrow Barak?"
    "The same thing we do every day Joe....TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD."
    posted 12 November 2007 15:42 EDT (US)     6 / 944  
    confirmed();
    game.start();

(- ₤ o r d B l a i n Ʃ -)
    RTWH | ETWH | OD [ Hark Upon the Gale ] [¯¯¯¯¯]†λ†[¯¯¯¯¯]
    «Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.»
    ~Albert Einstein
    posted 12 November 2007 17:10 EDT (US)     7 / 944  
    Confirmed

Ahm Heribeus
    Is a suits murmur
    posted 12 November 2007 18:14 EDT (US)     8 / 944  
    Confirmed
    posted 12 November 2007 18:30 EDT (US)     9 / 944  
    Confroming with the Confirming

Funny thing, im studing the Crucible in english right now.

LEO IV
    Pugna Concusio ~ Fight the Oppression
    Army Commander
    posted 12 November 2007 20:12 EDT (US)     10 / 944  
    Confirmed
    posted 12 November 2007 23:36 EDT (US)     11 / 944  
    Confirmed
    posted 13 November 2007 02:08 EDT (US)     12 / 944  
    Confirmed
    posted 13 November 2007 07:44 EDT (US)     13 / 944  
    Waiting on three more.
    posted 13 November 2007 13:46 EDT (US)     14 / 944  
    Confirmed
    posted 14 November 2007 15:42 EDT (US)     15 / 944  
    Are we starting cold on day one, or are we waiting for some kind of further wright up?

house won this
    posted 15 November 2007 01:01 EDT (US)     16 / 944  
    I'm not sure, but I think Andrew is waiting on FilmDirector2 & steace43 to confirm.

posted 15 November 2007 07:36 EDT (US)     17 / 944  
    FD2 has emailed me to say that he cannot take part. Which is a bit of a bugger, as I'll have to re-assign roles.

I will wait until the end of the day for steace to turn up or not before assigning roles again. If he doesn't, he'll be forcibly dropped out also so we can get going with the players we have.

The other alternative is to get two replacements.

But God knows where they'll come from unless I conscript them.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Dunn (edited 11-15-2007 @ 07:41 AM).]

posted 15 November 2007 10:30 EDT (US)     18 / 944  
    Don't know if this will help but both Sir Wulf and Graceless got knocked out of a mafia game over in OD. I don't recall either of them on M2TWH but they may be interested if the game they were in didn't quite give them their mafia fix.

posted 15 November 2007 10:40 EDT (US)     19 / 944  
    Well, give them a shout. If anyone knows any others willing to be replacements then I'll gladly accept them.
    posted 15 November 2007 12:32 EDT (US)     20 / 944  
    Sure, why not.

And Wulf is probably a good bet. He doesn't have the "Mafia addict" title for nothing, after all.

6 minutes remaining.
    posted 15 November 2007 14:26 EDT (US)     21 / 944  
    Ooh, a clash of styles. Most interesting

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
    posted 15 November 2007 15:06 EDT (US)     22 / 944  
    Confirmed.

6 minutes remaining.
    posted 15 November 2007 15:08 EDT (US)     23 / 944  
    Steace is browsing the forum at this minute so I'm going to wait for him to find this thread and confirm before yelling at him, perhaps.
    posted 15 November 2007 15:10 EDT (US)     24 / 944  
    Are you going to email us when it starts or we need to be adamant about updating ourselves here?
    posted 15 November 2007 15:30 EDT (US)     25 / 944  
    Well, considering that we have only one person awaiting confirmation at this point (assuming all goes well) then I don't think it's too much to expect you, as regular forum-goers, to check the forum regularly from now on.

It won't be long before it starts, as it will start once everyone is confirmed.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38  Next Page »
    Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Witch Hunt Mafia - Game Thread, IT IS OVER. Post mortem begins now.
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Total War Heaven | HeavenGames