Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Creating Custom Portraits for RTW
posted 29 August 2008 21:18 EDT (US)   
Creating Custom Portraits for Rome : Total War

While browsing a forum linked from a TWC user's signature i found a thread on a 3d head modeler. After messing around with it abit, i bring you this:

Required:

SI FaceGen Modeller (Free)
Photoshop or similar image editor
Basic knowledge of said image editor

Importing the Face

As the title suggests, i am not nearly motivated enough to make a face myself so im going to swipe a face that comes with the installation.

Start off by starting up FaceGen, you should get an image like this:

Go to File>Open and double-click on Ken, he'll be our test subject.

Refining Codename "Ken"

I can't really see him as a great roman general so its time to screw with his anatomy a little bit. Click on the "Shape" tab to bring up a myriad of sliders that will let you change Ken from Hulk Hogan to Bill Gates... face-wise, he won't actualy get the money.

Play around with the sliders until you have something you like, above is what i've come up with.

Now for the real great stuff. He still doesnt look to fearsome, badly shaved maybe, but not very intimidating. The gods at Singular Inversion have provided for that and included an expressions creator. Click the Morph tab and play around with the sliders, i myself went for this:

Photoshoot!

To save the picture you can do one of two things, (1.)go into File>Save Image>Save to desktop; (2.) Prnt Scrn and copy/paste directly into Photoshop/GIMP/PaintShop Pro/MS Paint. Remember you can change the angle at wich you view "Ken" by clicking and dragging over the little viewport thing that hes in.

Preping Ken

We don't really want to send codename "Ken" into battle the way he is, with that SI logo all over his forehead. So zoom in on his face and using the clone and band-aid thing tool erase the SI logo and then blend it in with the rest of the face like so:

Importing the Target Portrait

Open up your unpacked RTW files and go to Data>UI>Roman>Portraits>Portraits>Young>Ge nerals and find one that is looking the right direction and has a background/outfit you like. I chose Mr.008.tga, he's my neighbor.

Open your choice in Photoshop/etc.

Head Graft

Use the magic selection tool to cut codename "Ken" out of his black background. Had i had the foresight i could have changed the baground in FaceGen to pink or something to make this easier.

Next, place your cut out head ontop of the vanilla portrait's head. Then resize it.

Use the clone tool, paint brush tool, Dodge tool (for highlights), burn tool(for shadows), and band-aid tool to expand the neck on both sides and so cover up the original head.

Final Touches

Finally finish by messing around with contrast, brightness, hue, saturation to make him fit in more. Then figure out how to put him back in game. I'm guessing you can only replace portraits so find an ugly one and replace that one. Then, 10 years later you will stumble on him while playing your Julii campaign on VH/VH .

Hope this helps, thanks to the guy on the forum (that i dont remember the name of) for giving me the idea to write this, credit for discovering this goes to him.

[This message has been edited by PrivateClark (edited 08-29-2008 @ 09:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 29 August 2008 23:25 EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Very cool! I should be able to use this to create permanent General Portraits in ATW.

Added to List of Modding Tools and Tutorials for RTW.
posted 30 August 2008 14:00 EDT (US)     2 / 2  
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Creating Custom Portraits for RTW
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames