Rome Multiplayer Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RTWH Ladder- General Thread
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08 April 2008 11:05 EDT (US)   
This is the RTW re-incarnation of the ladder. For information it, please check the links below-

Relevant threads on RTWH-

Use this thread to report problems with the ladder, disagreements with other forumers regarding games, or just comment on it. We will attempt to resolve any mishaps as quickly as we can.

Suggestions for the ladder are always welcomed!

This Ladder is now officially dead.-Edorix

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 08-05-2010 @ 04:44 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10 April 2008 11:45 EDT (US)     1 / 47  
Ladder launch.

Welcome back to the RTW ladder, people!

posted 10 April 2008 12:07 EDT (US)     2 / 47  
I'll redirect the links on the front page now so.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

posted 10 April 2008 12:19 EDT (US)     3 / 47  
Nice!

I'll try to get a game ASAP. Short question: is the challenge thread only for challenging a specific forummer or also for trying to just find any opponent?

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 04-10-2008 @ 12:26 PM).]

posted 10 April 2008 12:30 EDT (US)     4 / 47  
Both, Hussar. It's also a good way to advertise you're about to play someone so another can come on and nip in for a game afterwards.

posted 10 April 2008 15:37 EDT (US)     5 / 47  
You could use the general thread as well but stuff would get lost so it's basically a "looking for a game" thread.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

posted 12 April 2008 09:51 EDT (US)     6 / 47  
How does the point system work?
posted 13 April 2008 16:43 EDT (US)     7 / 47  
It's slightly complex but winning battles gives you points and losing battles means you lose points. You also get more points if you beat a higher ranked player than you would if you play a zero gamer or low ranked player.

It's called the ELO rating and it's used for chess ladders as well.

-Love Gaius

posted 14 April 2008 16:43 EDT (US)     8 / 47  
Just curious: I was looking at the Ladder Rankings, and for some reason, Lucasemaximuse is ranked lower than Gaius and Geoghegenator even though they all lost 1 game. Is that a typo?

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
posted 14 April 2008 17:00 EDT (US)     9 / 47  
No, it's not. You had more points when you battled the other two, thus they lose less points. It's a sad thing for Lucas, but that's how they work.

posted 15 April 2008 07:57 EDT (US)     10 / 47  
Yeah. It's the way the ladder points is set up. Beating a higher ranked player gets you more points than if the same player beat a low ranked player. If people got the same points for beating anybody, then it would give high ranked players an incentive to only ever play low ranked players.

Remember this ranking system is used in chess to measure players against each other. If a newbie beats a grand master, they should get a lot more points than if they beat another newbie. Likewise, if the grand master beats the newbie, he shouldn't get that many points at all.

Let's just take a completely hypothetical scenario. Let's say that you, (Prince) only ever played zero gamers and that you won every time. You would gain points every time but the amount of points you'd gain would gradually decrease over time because the system is effectively punishing you for not playing higher ranked players.
You got 16 points for your first win over a zero-gamer but only 15 points for your next win over a zero-gamer. Soon that would decrease to 14 and so on.

It is technically possible to be so highly ranked that you'd get zero points from beating a really low ranked player but you'd need to be hundreds of points apart before that could happen. And if you lost to that player, you'd lose a whopping 32 points!

The maths & probability calculations involved are a little head melting which is why nobody else is doing a ladder by themselves. It's also why the ladder took so long to debug.

-Love Gaius

posted 15 April 2008 11:21 EDT (US)     11 / 47  
Well, its all looking interesting and I think I'll try this for a bit!

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
posted 15 April 2008 12:27 EDT (US)     12 / 47  
Good to see you, Selif!

EDIT: Updated.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 04-15-2008 @ 12:39 PM).]

posted 15 April 2008 15:52 EDT (US)     13 / 47  
Off topic:
I'm having a problem with mp right now, but I think I know how to fix it. If anyone can send me copies of the original data\export_descr_unit.txt and data\descr_model_battle.txt files at hussarknight[at]gmail[dot]com I'd greatly appreciate it. AFAIK I didn't change the files, but somehow they have been changed.

EDIT: The problem is now solved, thanks to Gaius.

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 04-16-2008 @ 03:13 AM).]

posted 16 April 2008 00:09 EDT (US)     14 / 47  
Just signed up and wanted to say hi to everyone- both the TWC people I recognize and all the new ones.
posted 16 April 2008 14:30 EDT (US)     15 / 47  
I hope you'll enjoy yourself here, GeneralChaos

posted 16 April 2008 19:50 EDT (US)     16 / 47  
Welcome to TWH for the new guys.

I had a great tussle with Geogh just there. It was really really close as I expected a heavy/light chariot mix but it was actually a heavy chariot & infantry mix. If my last pike unit routed, I was gone. Great game mate. Replay is here.

P.S. I'm getting black screenshots all the time even though I turned anti-aliasing off tonight when it was on before. This is getting annoying!

-Love Gaius

posted 16 April 2008 20:18 EDT (US)     17 / 47  
Hail EoJ,
I've actually lost one game (on Tuesday), but you haven't shown that loss on my record yet. "Games Played" & "Games Won" seem to be correct though.

Also, I think you made a typo with Geogheganator's Elo Rating. I don't think even Kasparov had a rating that high.
I had a great tussle with Geogh just there.
That was a really good replay.

Towards the end, your guys should've ran away in panic.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

[This message has been edited by PrinceofMacedon (edited 04-16-2008 @ 10:15 PM).]

posted 17 April 2008 02:40 EDT (US)     18 / 47  
According to the ladder rankings, Geogheganator has 11604 points. You might want to fix that.

Hussarknight
posted 17 April 2008 05:09 EDT (US)     19 / 47  
EoJ will sort that out when he gets online. He's probably at school right now. I'm guessing that it should be 1604. Just a typo.

Prince. EoJ will look at it when he gets online. It's probably a typo as well.

-Love Gaius

posted 17 April 2008 11:44 EDT (US)     20 / 47  
I've fixed Geog's ratings. Not sure what you're talking about though, Prince- perhaps you posted it while I was updating?

And I was in a hurry last night, so next time I'll just do the normal way of importing it

posted 19 April 2008 18:51 EDT (US)     21 / 47  
Can you please put the old ladder back up, if only archived? The nostalgia was great, just remembering the games played. Plus it gave me confidence when arguing the finer points with people who were far better than me, but weren't around back then

And I guess I will have to start from scratch on this one.

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent
posted 19 April 2008 18:55 EDT (US)     22 / 47  
Exe1, are you signing up for this? If so, I'm online, and I can give you a game.

By the way, I didn't take part in the old Ladder, but I found it online:
http://rtw.heavengames.com/ladder/rtw/

posted 19 April 2008 19:15 EDT (US)     23 / 47  
Exe1
It is already available to browse as an archive. Check the last line on this page.

-Love Gaius

posted 19 April 2008 19:18 EDT (US)     24 / 47  
By the way, I realized on the "Loser's Faction," that it has me playing as a Julii Roman. I've used Macedon for every game so far.

posted 19 April 2008 19:39 EDT (US)     25 / 47  
Thanks, I didn't see that.

And I am on right now if you want a game.

Share our wealth!
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
As far as I can tell, Baltimore is in redneck country ~ Bored Scotsman
You all realize that both Halo and Starcraft stole their storyline from tetris, right? ~He113ent
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Multiplayer Discussion » RTWH Ladder- General Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames