Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I have just placed 1100 (that's eleven hundred) stones on a map
posted 12-11-06 15:43 EST (US)   
I have just placed 1100 (that's eleven hundred) stones on a map I am creating. I was going to try something out with the 1000 stone trick.

I know it is 1100 stones as I have laid out two squares of smallest stones 20x20 = 400 each. plus a rectangle 20x10= 200. I have successively added 100 more. 400+400+200+100 = 1100 don't it?

What am I doing wrong? Is the number precisely 1000 or is that approximate?

I have tried the 1000 stone trick before and it worked but I did not count the stones. I just dumped stone on the map until it stopped taking any more. I don't want to do this this time as I don't want to arbitrarily freeze some part of the map I might later need.

Edit:
How 'bout this for strange:
The additional stones above 1000 are not blocking movement. A spearman can walk over them.

The additional stones do not freeze the terrain nor do they render it impassable. You can rub out the stone and a spearman can walk where it was.

Below - spearman cannot be ordered onto the original 1000 stones:-

The map is made with Earl Listibald's original blue cede template.

edit again:
I saved and reloaded. Now the spearmen on the extra stones are trapped there lol.

I have cleared a patch in the extra stones and a spearman can be ordered into the cleared bit.

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 12-11-2006 @ 04:42 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-11-06 17:28 EST (US)     1 / 11  
.. woah.
1100 stones? Are you SURE you counted the stones correctly?
Either you didn't count them properly or it might of depended on the rock size.. Anyway - good luck with the map

Raven~

posted 12-11-06 18:20 EST (US)     2 / 11  
Perhaps we just adopted the "1000 stone trick" name because all of us were too lazy to be precise? well thats what i did anyway.
Interesting find

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
posted 12-12-06 01:46 EST (US)     3 / 11  
Similar effect, different method...

Mountain Paths

Neat find by the way. Not sure how useful it will be though.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
posted 12-12-06 06:47 EST (US)     4 / 11  
I've had the same effect but without placing so many rocks. After placing staircases or making wooden ones I used rocks to try and block access to the stairs and the people walked over them O_o. Also, it baffles me that the sprite limit would be 1100 instead of something like 1000...

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
posted 12-12-06 09:14 EST (US)     5 / 11  
My map is displaying an effect after 1000 stones. But it is not a tile freezing effect. The effect seems to be stones that can be walked on. I am not totally sure yet what it is or if it will still be like that when I get home tonight and start up SH and load the map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 12-12-06 14:01 EST (US)     6 / 11  
My map is still doing odd things after the 1000 stones [EDIT - see post below. This effect is nothing to do with 1,000 stones]

Here is a spearman trapped inside a large rock

1. I openned my map from last night and found all the previously placed 1100+ rocks are impassable.
  2. placed the large rock. This new rock allows a spearman to be ordered onto it... inside it.
  3. saved and reloaded in the editor and he is trapped inside as if in amber. lol.

I loaded this map and played it and the poor spearman is still there encased in stone

Oh. And I definitely counted them correctly before. There are now well over 1100 stones.

Edit:
The encased spearman is immune from arrows. The enemy archer keeps missing.

But here he can be attacked by a pikeman next to his rock:

STOP PRESS:
I ordered the pikeman off leaving the injured spearman in the rock. Buth the archer kept on shooting and eventually scored a hit!

Edit again:
I am up to 1721 stones in the map now. I will try sarting with a new map to see if this is just a 1-map phenomenon...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 12-12-2006 @ 04:00 PM).]

posted 12-12-06 15:22 EST (US)     7 / 11  
My final answer:

The accepted 1,000-stone trick effect actually commences when you try to place the 2,000th stone (i.e. after 1999 stones)

My trial map: 5 squares of single tile stones. Each square 20x20=400 stones:-

I could not lay the 2000th stone:-

I was able to freeze frothy water tiles using each subsequent attempted stone placement.

I had thought that there was also there is an effect that starts after laying the 1,000th stone (or there abouts) whereby subsequent stones can have troops ordered onto them in the editor but after saving and reloading such stones are impassable and any troops on them are trapped rather like the animals are trapped by the "1,000"stone effect as described by Earl Listibald in the SHK article. Indeed it seemed identical to EL's described effect except that between 1,000 and 1,999 (actually between 1 and 1,999)the stones that can trap animals or units(spearmen) are visible and the stones 2,000 and after are invisible.

In fact I have found (it was probably known before by others) that this trapping spearmen in stone, in the editor, and then saving, can be done with just a single stone on the map. This effect is unrelated to the 2,000 stone trick.

Note:
Both maps I experimented with were 400x400 size

~~~~~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 12-12-2006 @ 04:03 PM).]

posted 12-12-06 22:52 EST (US)     8 / 11  
Yes, I've seen trapping units in stone as early as Ciervo's Island Assault over 2 years ago I believe. Not published though.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
posted 12-13-06 03:13 EST (US)     9 / 11  
WOW! 2000 stones? That must of been alot of clicking power.. have you tried this with any other map yet?
posted 12-13-06 08:26 EST (US)     10 / 11  

Quote:

have you tried this with any other map yet?

Having established on my plain 400x400 invasion map that the limit was 1999, I went on to increase my stone pile to 1999 on the map I had originally been working on (a 400x400 cede invasion map). I have succeeded in using the 2,000th stone to freeeze tiles for snow in a small patch of hymalaya on that map

~~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 12-14-06 06:53 EST (US)     11 / 11  
I guess we should call it to the 2000 stones trick lol.

-DOOMBRINGER-
"DOOMBRINGER, make a parking space IMMEDIATELY!"
"DOOMBRINGER declares it to be SO!"
"DOOMBRINGER, I command you to lay siege to THE ISS!"
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » I have just placed 1100 (that's eleven hundred) stones on a map
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames