You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mangonels and Ballistas Anywhere!
posted 05-07-07 19:10 EST (US)   
Since the beginning of Stronghold, Map Makers have been dreaming of being able to place Mangonels and Ballistas anywhere. Now, with the following tutorial that dream has become a reality.

This is not an easy trick to use and it may take some a little practice to master. However, adding this trick to any Siege or Invasion map will definitely take it to the next level!

Step 1 :

Place a Large Square Stone Tower and then delete it. For the purposes of this tutorial, we will use the dirt footprint left behind by the destruction of the tower.

Note the compass heading designated by the Red Arrow, North. This is the initial 'in game' orientation that one gets when any new map is first opened. Keep this in mind constantly as it will have a tremendous influence on how adept you become when using this trick.

In the center of the dirt footprint, place a 3 tile x 2 tile stone block as seen in this first picture.

Step 2 :

Now place a Wooden Gatehouse over the 3 tile x 2 tile stone block as seen in the following picture. Make sure you orient the Wooden Gatehouse correctly and that the maps compass heading has not been altered.

Step 3 :

Place a new Large Square Stone Tower exactly over the dirt footprint left by the original one as seen below.

Step 4 :

Delete the Wooden Gatehouse Only. Although the Large Square Stone Tower still stands, it is now missing a very obvious piece.

Step 5 :

Now place either a Mangonel or a Ballista. Your desired weapon will appear but will immediately drop to ground level as seen here.

Step 6 :

Simply delete the tower. Now, only your chosen machine of death remains!

There you have it! One of the most advanced tricks available for all.

Next week : How to place multiple Mangonels or Ballistas and how to place them on Himalaya (Ultra High) terrain.

Happy Sieging!
UnikUnok

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 05-07-2007 @ 07:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-07-07 21:39 EST (US)     1 / 15  
Nice Work UnikUnok. Maybe these new tutorials you make can be made available in Mapmaking 101?

________                                         ________
\________\------______ _____------/________/
\_______\---\\\\ Sir Hugh ////---/_______/
\_____\--\\¦| Seraph |¦//--/_____/
\\//\\//
°ºº°
posted 05-07-07 22:37 EST (US)     2 / 15  
Its a pretty well known trick - or at least i thought it was...
Good to have it in a step-by-step walkthrough though

While we are sort of on the topic of the magic eraser, i'd like to see what else there is to discover - surely there are lots more tricks just waiting to be discovered i suggest designers have a little play around with it.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 05-07-2007 @ 10:40 PM).]

posted 05-08-07 02:51 EST (US)     3 / 15  
Why make us wait? They sound interesting UU ^^

I had known about the trick when I was playing around with the eraser, but to re-produce it took ages. This is a very quick, space-saving way of producing such beasts on the battle-fields
posted 05-08-07 03:22 EST (US)     4 / 15  
Yeh I've known about placing them on Himalaya terrain for a while.

Its pretty simple just follow the same procedure only on max hight. Then once you delete wooden gatehous place a single wall tile in the erased gap.Place a stone on the wall tile, delete the wall and the stone and simply place the balista on the tower. Now the balista is on Himalaya terrain.

I suppose a step by step tutorial will help though.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
posted 05-08-07 04:45 EST (US)     5 / 15  
It would, Alexus. I tried Himalaya once and got it completely wrong!
posted 05-08-07 06:25 EST (US)     6 / 15  
I've got to try this. I saw this on Lord Ako's map "Ancient Oak II" butI didn't know how to do this myself.

Your step by step tutorial is very helpful.

Btw, where is Lord Ako these days?

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 05-08-07 06:48 EST (US)     7 / 15  
UnikUnok, will this work for Crusader?

IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES IT GOES GUILLOTINE

YAH
posted 05-08-07 11:40 EST (US)     8 / 15  
Thanks for showing us I was wondering how that was done.

He who hesitates is.... er....
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Saviour of Léugìm Campaign Contribute a Review
posted 05-08-07 12:03 EST (US)     9 / 15  
von Schmidt; this won't work for crusader as there are no wooden objects to use to erase parts of buildings
posted 05-08-07 13:36 EST (US)     10 / 15  
well you could import them from Sh1 if you knew how

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 05-08-07 17:07 EST (US)     11 / 15  
Not exactly Wl_D, you could only switch the graphic, even then it would glitch. Unless.. your not telling us something?

Oh and UU, I just realised.. in the last picture, you have half height wooden-walls, did they stay after the map save?
posted 05-08-07 17:40 EST (US)     12 / 15  
Nope im not keeping anything from ya unfortunantly. However the code for both SH1 and SHC is close to identical so im sure its possible - just might take a bit of work ...and a programmer

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 05-09-07 03:05 EST (US)     13 / 15  
I would like to see all these new tricks in crusader.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
posted 05-17-07 01:07 EST (US)     14 / 15  
Just pointing out that "ILikeMistyWaters" was the first to publicize such information regarding Ballistae anywhere on this site, though I believe UnikUnok discovered it independently. Magic Eraser goes to me Writing and pics go to UnikUnok.

Yay credits?

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
posted 05-17-07 01:28 EST (US)     15 / 15  
Yay credits?
Its only fair i think

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Mangonels and Ballistas Anywhere!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames