You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Wheat and Hop Farms at ANY Height!
posted 07-29-07 07:34 EST (US)   
Recently, the 20 up from 0 template allowed you to take Wheat and Hop farms to new ‘heights’

However, if this is not enough for you, this tutorial will show you how to place Wheat and Hop Farms at any height!

WARNING

1. Wheat and Hop farms altered using the following method will become permanent on your map once the map has been saved.

2. A small No Build exclusion zone will occur on two sides of your farm when using this trick. No Build Exclusion zone will run the length of both sides and be 3 tiles deep on the side that once possessed the hut and 1 tile deep on the other side that once completed the huts corner of the Farm.

Step 1 :

Create a 4 tile x 3 tile stone block as seen in the first picture.

Step 2 :

Place 2 Wooden Gatehouses exactly as it is seen in the following picture. Make sure to orient the gatehouses correctly.

Step 3 :

Delete any remaining stone tiles not erased by the placement of the gatehouses and place a single wooden wall tile.

Step 4 :

Now, select a Wooden Platform and place it as you see in the following picture. The platform may not orient itself the way you want at first. With a wooden wall tile on only one of its faces, the platform will give you only 2 different orientations. To alter between one or the other, left click on your mouse when you select the platform but do not release the button. Move the mouse slightly left or right until the platform alters its orientation to the one you need then release the button.

Step 5 :

Place, then immediately delete a Perimeter Turret exactly where seen below.

Step 6 :

Now place either a Wheat or Hop farm as seen.

Step 7 :

Simply delete everything except the farm.

Step 8 :

Raise the terrain surrounding the wheat farm to maximum height.

Step 9 :

Place stones over the wheat or hop rows so they overlap as seen in the following picture.

Step 10 :

Erase the stones you placed and repeat steps 8-10 until you achieve the desired height for your farm.

So now you have an, as of yet, unused eyecandy trick at your disposal! Will your map be the first to release with it?

High Flying Hops

Militant Wheat!

Enjoy!
UnikUnok

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 07-31-2007 @ 03:44 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-29-07 08:57 EST (US)     1 / 19  
Nice simpler method of erasing the farm huts than my way.. your clear imagery and detail just volunteered you to right the tutorial
Unless you want my help

I actually had used this trick in the SHCC map 6 on some farms in the small village, ericgolf may need to take some pictures though.. if I rememer correctly I also used it on my eye-candy map (still, no-where near done ).

And I think Lord Ako usd this trick in his Ancient Oak 2 map (not sure if it's been released, I remember seeing a screenshot of it though)
posted 07-29-07 09:20 EST (US)     2 / 19  
Sir Ravenclaw, are you talking about the height aspect of this or the no-hut aspect?

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 07-29-2007 @ 09:21 AM).]

posted 07-29-07 09:24 EST (US)     3 / 19  
Both, ericgolf!
Don't worry about it though, I was trolling through my pictures and stumbled across one with the farms

posted 07-29-07 10:22 EST (US)     4 / 19  
Hey! Sir Ravenclaw I hadn't realised any of the farms were higher than they normally can be. Which ones?

Great tutorial, BTW, UnikUnok! And I had not realised I was so closely aquainted with the technique. (I am finishing off Sir Ravenclaw's Community Map6 that he has shown there because he is temporarily Strongholdless.)

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 07-29-2007 @ 10:26 AM).]

posted 07-29-07 22:21 EST (US)     5 / 19  
I have to agree with Ericgolf, which ones? Either way it hasn't released yet. Off topic here but that D-shaped keep is SPECTACULAR guys!

Lord Ako's wonderful Ancient Oak II is a masterpiece and in that map the farms are indeed higher than 24 clicks up from minimum height, the maximum height one can place Hop or Wheat farms. Having destroyed the modulated farms, the resulting graphics glitch on each tile can than be set to any height. However, these are merely eye candy. They do not function, they do not burn. Actually they do not even exist other than visually. So, some very important differences.

To have FUNCTIONING farms at any height this is the method you must use.

So, as I said an as of yet unused design trick. Will your map be the first to release with it?

Work with me guys! lol!

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 07-29-2007 @ 10:27 PM).]

posted 07-29-07 23:56 EST (US)     6 / 19  
Actually I have a map that I've just started fiddling around with again that has farms like this, its one Arthus and I were creating about the spanish in the new world, I'm hoping to get things going on it again.

Unlike yourself I don't go releasing tutorials about every trick we use, but its good to see you doing it so that others don't have to wait to see them in maps before they learn how to use them.

Oh and one other thing. I notice you have 5 steps to create a tower eraser, I simply want to share an easier way.

You simply place a wooden gatehouse, using the delete tool, delete one of the wooden platforms, then place the stone tower over it. Delete the wood gatehous and your done. (I din't include screens, im sure you understand what i mean).

Please feel free to show it with screenshots in future tutorials, just thought that it was a bit less work.

Keep them coming, anything on those perma trees in the future?

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
posted 07-30-07 00:44 EST (US)     7 / 19  
That is fantastic work Alexus it shall be incorporated into every tutorial from now on. I may even update the old ones. Less steps is always a bonus for this sort of tutorial style.

I had completely forgot about all my tree work tutorials to make. :S Duly noted.

South America, I had never thought to take SH there! Great idea guys.

posted 07-30-07 01:32 EST (US)     8 / 19  
err did you guys take happy pills or something?

just kidding
As Alexus said it only takes a couple of steps to get the same result as you dont need alot of room to raise the farms.
Im pretty sure i know all the tricks there are in SH, however dead perma trees?...i dont know that one... if they dont go towards the sprite limit that would be a rather powerful trick

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
posted 07-30-07 02:36 EST (US)     9 / 19  
I’m not sure about happy pills however I am very pleased that UU has started to reply again, thank you.

I noticed that some of my post would carry a negative feeling and really that’s not what it should be about around here. I would much rather have us both on speaking terms and contributing together for the good of the site and community.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 07-30-07 05:16 EST (US)     10 / 19  
Hear hear, Alexus. Now I just need to catch up with the flurry of activity around here
posted 07-30-07 05:35 EST (US)     11 / 19  
South America, I had never thought to take SH there! Great idea guys.
Have you seen La Muerte Negra? I know, strictly speaking, it is central america but...
Edit: Er, topicwise: The farms are all hades height in that map and hades hieght is a member of the set "ANY Height" ins't it?

[This message has been edited by ericgolf (edited 07-30-2007 @ 05:40 AM).]

posted 07-30-07 07:13 EST (US)     12 / 19  
I was going to mention your map, however I couldn't quite remember the title.

I have been looking at it recently to see how you created those wonderful custom buildings. I also installed American Conquest to help out.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 07-30-2007 @ 07:14 AM).]

posted 07-30-07 14:43 EST (US)     13 / 19  
The most notable farm that is the highest of the four, to the south-west of the keep. That one is definately higher than 20 clicks, the one next to it is partially over 20 clicks, half of the farm is under I think
The hop farms are both over 20 clicks, although again one is partially lower than the other
Thanks for the comment on the keep, UU I thought it was rather 'crowded' myself :/

Hoho, an even quicker version of erasing the farm huts WL_D! It hardly involves 3 stages! I'm going to have add this to my eye-candy map as soon as I get Stronghold again - this will make things alot quicker! ^^

Oh and also UU, you could erase the hut's of Apple Orchards in mass quantities and workers (should) still go to them and harvest them. It could make a nice effect of farmers gathering a huge harvest in preparation for the winter

Hehe ericgolf, ANY height.. hades? Nice thinking there
posted 07-30-07 20:50 EST (US)     14 / 19  
Hey Sulis, is their anyway staff could fix the title?

Ericgolf, Oh you little Loophole wriggler you. Lets put it this way, did you use stones to raise the farms?

These are to be my tree tutorials :

Keeping Forests Fuller

5 Year Dead Trees a much easier version that more than doubles a dead trees ?lifespan,? usually 1-2 years depending on type. This is what I used in my map Ramel Perma-dead trees just being way to difficult to procure in straight lines.

Perma Dead Trees This has been used in Harlow's Wood and will probably be the most difficult tutorial I have written to date. May need to change the name to 'patience is a virtue'

South America is a brilliant idea. When one word sets off a flood of map ideas in my mind, I know its a good one lets see....

Map 1 the Spaniards Land! The South Americans had never seen cavalry and actully mistook mounted horses as two headed monsters! so this map, a beach map, would have interesting opposing forces. Or might just show the superiorty of knights on horsback

Map of an attack on an Inca Temple Complex/city.

Capture of Montezuma, here you could play as the Inca and the map objective would be to raise a huge amount of gold as actually happened!

of coarse the final map in the series, a water map, Montezuma's REVENGE!

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 07-30-2007 @ 09:04 PM).]

posted 07-31-07 03:04 EST (US)     15 / 19  
Title fixed
posted 07-31-07 04:00 EST (US)     16 / 19  
Thanks

OK, I am having problems with the 3-Step Eraser and was hoping that others might join me in testing/niggling with this to make it work. As I said earlier, less steps is always a plus for this sort of tutorial style. So I kind of need this to work as well as SimRPG's method. IMO, I think Stronghold is just being its usual difficult self so there MUST be a way around this.

Here are the rather bizarre problems:

I am having far more graphics glitched/ghost platforms appearing. Yes, those horrid permanent fragments of structures caused by destroying the wooden platforms out of sequence. (see WARNINGS at the top of my Advanced Workshops II thread.)

In fact it is so fundamental as to this first type of glitch I will cut and paste it here:

WARNING Using this trick can result in a modulated workshop become PERMANENT once it is saved onto a map. You will not be able to delete it, EVER!

There are two ways to avoid this.

1. ALWAYS keep a back up file. This way you can go back if you need to.

2. Be diligent in your gatehouse placement. Make sure to note the order in which you place them. Gatehouses must always be deleted in the opposite order in which they were placed. In other words, last one placed deletes first. Deleting gatehouses out of sequence is what causes this irreparable glitch

Now, here is where things get truely BIZARRE

Strangely, full on phantom wooden platforms appear occasionally. These act like fully erased buildings vanishing with game rotations, flattening, building, etc.

Strangest of all. After several placements, i.e. using Wooden Platform steps to build ship decks, a map crash occurs. Suddenly several phantom platforms appear all at once and map scroll slows down somewhat.

Through testing, I have narrowed the problem down or at least my educated guess at this point is, that erasing the platform is what seems to be the problem. Somehow it is causing the editor to act differently, towards the additional Wooden Platform you place after the gatehouses to erase the last third of the hut (step 4)

In the 5-step version, the Wooden Platform is still considered as placed third after the gatehouses and is still considered by the editor to be a seperate entity. When using the 3-step method, the Wooden Platforms erased out of the gatehouses seemed to do SOMETHING to the gatehouses because the gatehouse nearest the additional Wooden Platform you placed absorbed this platform, considering it part of itself. I.e. it becomes one structure. Deleting one causes the elimination of the other. Thus, the placement order of gatehouses and platform are altered causing the first kind of glitch mentioned above.

Could others please try and see if they have the same issues? I am using a later Stronghold with V. 1.2 in disk and an even later V. 1.2 Stronghold Disk that came with Warchest.

I would appreciate the help as it will benefit all of us!

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 07-31-2007 @ 04:44 AM).]

posted 07-31-07 05:32 EST (US)     17 / 19  
I think I found your problem UU.

In the third step, when deleting the gatehouse, I think you may have used the landscaped editor 'Delete Tool', I just tested it then and saw that it leaves one of those loathsome platforms. Use the building delete tool and it should be fine.

Let me know.

Oh and by the way, should you have the need to remove one of those platforms that won't go away, you can simply magic erase them off the map.

Alexus.

p.s you can go ahead and make a much better looking tutorial. I simply included this one to help make things a bit more clear. Not too attractive is it?

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 07-31-07 09:40 EST (US)     18 / 19  
Yup, that's exactly what I did. I actually just finished an entire Frigate deck using delete rather then erase and no problems. I was coming back on to edit my post but you beat me to it. So, just a simple note on this in future tutorials will suffice.

Again, really? great stuff. I think you should write a tutorial on erasing fragments.

I am not quite following the p.s. Is there an extra word in there or something?

posted 07-31-07 10:21 EST (US)     19 / 19  
Good to hear.

No, no extra word, I just didn't want you to think that because i had posted those screens that you needn't edit your tutorials, if that makes sense at all.

I really should of said i'm sure if you edit your 5 steps to 3 that it will come out looking a lot neater than the ones I provide. Thats all.

Alexus.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Wheat and Hop Farms at ANY Height!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames