Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Industry Mafia - Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
posted 05-05-12 03:36 PM CT (US)   

Industry Mafia

Alive
01. Ser Periagil (Electronic Arts; Mafia Poisoner)
04. Barcaii (Midway; Mafia Doctor)
08. THYMOLE (Activision; Mafia Prostitute)

Dead
03. Bulba Khan (DICE; Cop)
02. Maffia (Bungie; Roleblocker)
05. Popeychops (Google; Cult Converter Observer)
06. WRP (BioWare; Doctor Cult Doctor)
07. CarolKarine (Valve; Unconvertable Iron Perfectionist Full Jack of Epic Trades)
09. Herr Heir (Take Two; Miller One-Shot Iron Purger)
10. SirDante (Apple; Serial Alternating(Even) Killer Alternating(Odd) Converter)
11. Pulse_of_Shift (Ensemble Studios; Guardian)
12. Peter Fallon (Blizzard; Vigilante)

Rules:
  • Do not edit your posts - double post if necessary. Once is fine, but if it happens multiple times, you may be mod-killed.
  • Do not reveal any information after your character has died.
  • This game is closed communication - talk within this thread only, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • Do not quote my emails. Paraphrase.
  • No talking/strategizing during the night, unless your role specifically states otherwise.
  • Follow HG's CoC
  • During the day, players can vote to lynch. To cast your vote type Vote: Name. Be sure to bold it!
  • If you change your vote, type Unvote: Name before your new vote. Otherwise, I'll ignore your new vote.

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    "I don't lie in my claims and I don't intend to." -WeeMicky
    "OH MY GOD A DINOSAUR" -Peter Fallon

[This message has been edited by Rotaretilbo (edited 05-29-2012 @ 05:58 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05-05-12 03:37 PM CT (US)     1 / 647  
    LAX was busy this time of year. It was time for Electronic
    Entertainment Expo, and all the major developers and
    publishers were in attendance. It was going to be a good year,
    or so they all hoped. However, there were insidious plans,
    under the table dealings, going on. As the sun set and the
    company representatives went to their respective hotels, an
    ominous wind fell over Los Angeles.

It is Night 0.
    Please send all actions to lollersquirrelz@gmail.com

"Also, I'm no clearer on what WIFOM is really, although I gather it's something to do with Thymole being gay..." -Sassenach
    posted 05-08-12 03:44 AM CT (US)     2 / 647  
    As the various company representatives awoke, only a day
    before e3 began in full, they flipped on their TVs and
    switched to the only channel that really mattered: G4tv.
    Coverage of preparations for the expo, and industry news:
    those were the two things on everyone's mind. And while there
    wasn't much to report on regarding the expo. The Electronic
    Arts - Blizzard merger was announced today, though where it
    will go from here is uncertain. Apple had approached
    CarolKarine about a possible buyout the previous night, but at
    this time, it does not appear that any agreement was reached.
    There was also talk that small-time publisher Take Two
    attempted to acquire Ser Periagil, but was flatly refused.

Blizzard has been bought out.
    Someone attempted to buy out CarolKarine, but failed.
    Someone attempted to buy out Ser Periagil, but failed.
    It is Day 1.
    There are 12 of you, so it is 7 to lynch.

posted 05-08-12 04:23 AM CT (US)     3 / 647  
    Wtf?
    posted 05-08-12 04:52 AM CT (US)     4 / 647  
    VOTE: Dante

Meh, because.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
    Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
    Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
    [This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    posted 05-08-12 08:17 AM CT (US)     5 / 647  
    Soooo... Any ideas what a buyout entails? Death? Or something cultesque? I do doubt its a cult thing though as 3 recruiters seems way to much. I have to agree with Bulba's sentiment of wtf.

YOUCANRUNANDHIDE
    posted 05-08-12 08:49 AM CT (US)     6 / 647  
    TBH as no one appears to have been removed from the game it looks like some kind of cult mechanic to me, seems we are hunting Apple, Take2, and EA.

Not sure what Activision are going to have to say about EA poaching Blizzard though

[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
    posted 05-08-12 09:11 AM CT (US)     7 / 647  
    It sounds like three cults to me. Instead of kills we'll have corporate mergers.

Member of BlackForest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    posted 05-08-12 09:28 AM CT (US)     8 / 647  
    So I am valve, and am iron.

So, town Rolebloks that could have protected Gil?

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
    Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
    double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
    posted 05-08-12 09:57 AM CT (US)     9 / 647  
    No, Abhaas is scum. Let me claim here:

I am a stone miller faith reverse purger (hate your descriptions Rot )

Reverse purger is the opposite of purger. A purger can kill randomly. If he kills town then his iron gets strengthened but the townie dies. If a purger targets scum then the kill fails.

My role is that if I try to kill town nothing happens, but if I target scum I will make a kill on them. The faith part implies that there is a major chance that my kill will fail.

Last night I targeted Periagil and now there's a failed kill on him. So he's scum.

Vote: Ser Periagil

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
    posted 05-08-12 10:08 AM CT (US)     10 / 647  
    And if he turns up town, we kill herr (the miller claim is making me mildly worried)

But I'll go along with this.

vote: Ser

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
    Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
    double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
    posted 05-08-12 10:18 AM CT (US)     11 / 647  
    My role is that if I try to kill town nothing happens, but if I target scum I will make a kill on them. The faith part implies that there is a major chance that my kill will fail.
    That would seem to make your deduction that SP is scum highly dependent on the faith part, and happens to give you a convenient 'out' if SP flips town.

posted 05-08-12 10:24 AM CT (US)     12 / 647  
    No he is guaranteed scum, the faith part if only on whether the kill goes through or not. The fact that the kill was made at all means that he's scum.

Maybe we should still wait for his claim but I personally am convinced.

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

posted 05-08-12 10:37 AM CT (US)     13 / 647  

Last night I targeted Periagil and now there's a failed kill on him. So he's scum.
    Does a failed kill = "nothing happens"? aka Does trying to kill a town player result in a failed kill or the kill not even being mentioned in the writeup?
    Blizzard has been bought out.
    Someone attempted to buy out CarolKarine, but failed.
    Someone attempted to buy out Ser Periagil, but failed.
    Now to me that doesn't look like "attempted buyout"="Kill", as Blizzard does not appear to have been removed from the game, aka killed.

posted 05-08-12 10:47 AM CT (US)     14 / 647  
    Does trying to kill a town player result in a failed kill or the kill not even being mentioned in the writeup?
    Sent the question to Rot.
    Now to me that doesn't look like "attempted buyout"="Kill", as Blizzard does not appear to have been removed from the game, aka killed.
    Of course, because there is a "major" chance that my action, which becomes a kill when targeted at scum, will fail. Hence why you will see an attempted buyout instead of a proper buyout.

posted 05-08-12 10:50 AM CT (US)     15 / 647  
    I meant to say:

"Now to me that doesn't look like "attempted buyout"="Kill"

Sorry.

posted 05-08-12 10:52 AM CT (US)     16 / 647  
    Just to clarify, my role email says that town is immune to my action.

posted 05-08-12 11:08 AM CT (US)     17 / 647  
    Yep, nothing happens if I target town. He's scum.

posted 05-08-12 11:12 AM CT (US)     18 / 647  
    Herr, as far as I can tell nothing has happened from your kill attempt, as I said earlier it seems that "buyout" =/= "kill", otherwise the person playing Blizzard would have been removed from the game.

Personally I think "buyout attempt" on SP came from a different source.

posted 05-08-12 11:23 AM CT (US)     19 / 647  
    Nope, kills are through buyouts. My one-shot iron comes from the fact that I have enough money to refuse a buyout at last once.

I'm not sure how exactly the buyout mechanic works yet, but my flavor says that I wish to provide funds for the good games out there, unlike the other big developers out there who are interested purely in buying out and dismantling the smaller companies out there.

We have scum here, trust me on this. I wouldn't be coming out with this so early if I wasn't convinced.

posted 05-08-12 11:24 AM CT (US)     20 / 647  
    -at least once.-

posted 05-08-12 11:31 AM CT (US)     21 / 647  
    Nope, kills are through buyouts.
    Then how has Blizzard been "bought out" but is not on the dead list? And no players have been removed from the game?

posted 05-08-12 11:35 AM CT (US)     22 / 647  
    Because companies are bought out and then dismantled. I assume that it is essentially a poisoning action, although I cannot be sure yet.

I'm sure that somebody can back me up on the buyout = kill theory.

Maybe we should get everyone to post and say that they're not Blizzard?

I guarantee that Periagil is scum and I really don't see why you have a problem with this. Please tell me how kills will be made if buyouts aren't kills, because all three night attempts that have been declared are all buyouts.

In fact, you have one mafia kill and one SK kill, the third one came from a townie which was me.

posted 05-08-12 11:45 AM CT (US)     23 / 647  
    Because companies are bought out and then dismantled. I assume that it is essentially a poisoning action, although I cannot be sure yet.
    I'm sure that somebody can back me up on the buyout = kill theory.
    If they can then that's all good then.
    Maybe we should get everyone to post and say that they're not Blizzard?
    Go for it, but I'm not sure what that actually achieves
    I guarantee that Periagil is scum and I really don't see why you have a problem with this. Please tell me how kills will be made if buyouts aren't kills, because all three night attempts that have been declared are all buyouts.

In fact, you have one mafia kill and one SK kill, the third one came from a townie which was me.
    Buyout would seem to me to be more like a Cult mechanic to me, and from some other posts a few others.

The problem I have is that from what I can see there is no evidence that "buyout=kill", infact there is evidence that opposes that theory as we have 1 buyout and no dead players, if Blizzard can come forward and clarify things that would help, but I suspect Blizzard will be unwilling to do that.

Also can we have a name claim please Herr?

posted 05-08-12 11:46 AM CT (US)     24 / 647  
    So Herr is saying the buyouts are kills but they could still possibly be cult converts. So I have two ideas I'd like to bring forth if you would be so kind as to entertain them.

1. Incase the "Brought out" companies do turn against us, then it would be of great advantage to us, to mass NAME claim and only name before we lynch Gil.

2. I would like a full claim from Gil but we already have enough information on the table without further full claims.

Thoughts?

posted 05-08-12 11:48 AM CT (US)     25 / 647  
    Sure. I am Take Two.

Maffia unless you're suggesting that we have three different cult factions or a faction with multiple cult conversion powers your theory makes even less sense than mine about buyouts being kills.

posted 05-08-12 12:05 PM CT (US)     26 / 647  
    2. I would like a full claim from Gil but we already have enough information on the table without further full claims.
    I would like a full claim from Gil and only Gil, As we already have enough information on the table without further full claims.

I suppose we should go ahead and organize what we know.

KEY
    N means Neutral, not scummy or town yet.
    N/P - No posts, hasn't posted when this list was created, to keep track of inactive players.
    M/T - Most likely town, not confirmed, but most likely.
    2M/T - number infront of M/T, ranks them in my opinion, out of the most likely town at this point in the game.

Alive
    01. Ser Periagil - No Claim, Herr has an investigative type guilty
    02. Maffia - No Claim, N
    03. Bulba Khan - No Claim, N
    04. Barcaii - No Claim, N
    05. Popeychops - No Claim, N - N/P
    06. WRP - No Claim, N - N/P
    07. CarolKarine - Valve, Townie Iron, Shot at N0, M/T
    08. THYMOLE - No Claim, N - N/P
    09. Herr Heir - Take Two, Stone Miller Faith Reverse Purger, Shot at Gil for result N0, 2M/T
    10. SirDante - No Claim, N
    11. Pulse_of_Shift - No Claim, N - N/P
    12. Peter Fallon - No Claim, N - N/P

Let me know if I missed anything.

posted 05-08-12 12:20 PM CT (US)     27 / 647  
    I very highly doubt that theres two cults here maffia, I think its as herr said, buyouts are kills.
    Waiting on Gil.
    posted 05-08-12 01:02 PM CT (US)     28 / 647  
    It does make more sense that buyouts are kills since Carol said he has Iron. Unless Iron from converts ?

posted 05-08-12 01:15 PM CT (US)     29 / 647  
    We have direct evidence that being "bought out" =/= kill as no one has died, as Herr said it could be some kind of delayed kill such as a poisoner or arsonist mechanic?

Personally I would like Blizzard to come forward at this point and confirm what effect being "bought out" had (scum already knows who they are, so we may as well too), if Blizzard is unwilling to come forward it is probably a fairly safe bet that we have a faction switching mechanic.

posted 05-08-12 01:15 PM CT (US)     30 / 647  
    The cult's only advantage is being secret, if all of us name claim then the cult would be useless and I'm sure Rot would've thought of this very obvious loophole.

posted 05-08-12 01:37 PM CT (US)     31 / 647  
    Then we should try and take advantage of it shouldn't we Herr?

posted 05-08-12 01:45 PM CT (US)     32 / 647  
    Rots interpretation of my situation is that I am iron, thereby immune to buyouts.

posted 05-08-12 02:05 PM CT (US)     33 / 647  
    Then we should try and take advantage of it shouldn't we Herr?
    Indeed, I've already obliged although the write-up made it pretty clear what I was.
    Rots interpretation of my situation is that I am iron, thereby immune to buyouts.
    Further proof to support my interpretation of events.

posted 05-08-12 02:26 PM CT (US)     34 / 647  
    Why are we calling Herr town? I don't know much about the gaming industry hierarchy but from what I can tell, the scum in this game are the expansionist gaming corporations. Herr's company is apparently involved in buyouts so I fail how he is any different. Wikipedia tells me that Take Two is in charge of Fireaxis (Civilization), Rockstar (Grand Theft Auto+More), and 2K sports (lots and lots of sports).

This isn't really relevant to gil's case. Gil is probably scum, but I don't buy the way that Herr got to this conclusion. He investigiates guilty. There is already an iron player.
    My one-shot iron comes from the fact that I have enough money to refuse a buyout at last once.
    This line juxtaposes my email in that it seems to be an unnecessary flavor line. Mine contained a single line of flavor and then a bold line stating my role. There was no justification. Seems odd that he has this.
    I'm not sure how exactly the buyout mechanic works yet, but my flavor says that I wish to provide funds for the good games out there, unlike the other big developers out there who are interested purely in buying out and dismantling the smaller companies out there.
    Same for this line. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If this is what he is doing then his action is giving a lot of money to people, but then somehowing buying them out if and only if they are an expansionist giant. A far more logical result of this flavor would be to imply that he is a doctor, as he saves people by providing funds. I also fail to understand why Rot would randomly choose Take-Two for this role. First of all, I'm pretty sure no company actually does this. Secondly, wikipedia states

"In 2005, Take-Two began a host of acquisitions, spending more than US$80 million buying game developers"

So that's pretty much not true unless my perception of things is not correct.
    This line does not make sense either. Herr's own power is clearly done in the same format as the other kills: buying out. He should know how it works.

Blizzard should come forward and gil should claim. I built this case because I didn't believe that the game would include a miller stone reverse faith purger, but it actually worked out pretty well in other means...
    posted 05-08-12 02:42 PM CT (US)     35 / 647  
    Interesting. I'd say we should go with Herr for now. If gil does flip town, Herr has zero excuse.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    posted 05-08-12 02:46 PM CT (US)     36 / 647  
    Aye, but my point here is that even if he is correct, I wouldn't call him confirmed town. Or even likely town at that.
    posted 05-08-12 02:56 PM CT (US)     37 / 647  
    So thy, you do not believe CK because he has flavour justification?
    posted 05-08-12 02:57 PM CT (US)     38 / 647  
    Why are we calling Herr town?
    I'm not sure anyone apart from Dante has decided that Herr is probably town, I'm far from convinced especially as he set himself up with an out if Gil does flip town.

Although pending further information SP is probably a good start if Herr's claim is legitimate, if SP flips town we lynch Herr regardless of any back-peddling after that.
    the scum in this game are the expansionist gaming corporations.
    I was thinking along this line too, although Apple doesn't really fit in with this, maybe the SK, or possibly Developers vs Publishers, but Valve at least would fall into both categories, as would EA and most other large developers that may or may not be in the game.

posted 05-08-12 02:58 PM CT (US)     39 / 647  
    I'm saying compared to everyone else, which are N right now. Herr is more likely town than say you, or me. Given gil flips scum, I thought that was understood.

Thoughts on the mass name claim ?

posted 05-08-12 02:59 PM CT (US)     40 / 647  
    I've actually only had a skim read of this thread so far. I've got an exam tomorrow so I don't have time to be thinking about everyone's posts.
    I want to express a non-committal point of view on your comments, mole.

posted 05-08-12 03:01 PM CT (US)     41 / 647  
    I think a mass name claim would be bad considering the minimal information we have. Scum could easily have been provided with fake names that let them fit in perfectly.

posted 05-08-12 03:04 PM CT (US)     42 / 647  
    So thy, you do not believe CK because he has flavour justification?
    No...? I do believe CK. He claimed a very plausible role that is justifiable by the flavor. I doubt herr because he has specific lines seemingly set aside to justify his role which seem out of place when compared to my own. Herr's contains explanations. CK hasn't specified much and I presume it's simply something like "You're valve. You're doing great and continue to maintain your independence regardless of corporate buy-outs." Furthermore, Herr's flavor is incorrect.
    I was thinking along this line too, although Apple doesn't really fit in with this, maybe the SK, or possibly Developers vs Publishers, but Valve at least would fall into both categories, as would EA and most other large developers that may or may not be in the game.
    Yeah. Apple isn't expansionist in the gaming industry AFAIK, despite the amount of stuff they churn out. I'm pretty sure Valve is content alone but I could be wrong.
    I'm saying compared to everyone else, which are N right now. Herr is more likely town than say you, or me. Given gil flips scum, I thought that was understood.
    You are understood, and I completely disagree.
    posted 05-08-12 03:06 PM CT (US)     43 / 647  
    I do the same as the big companies, with the key difference being that I only do it to the big evil companies. I have no idea why I have a bit more flavor than Thymole, but maybe the fact that my own role is really complex might have something to do with it.

Please don't forget that Thymole's entire argument is flavor-based. What everyone is ignoring is that there was an extra kill beyond the mafia and the SK kill, and that kill belonged to me.

So basically unless you're trying to make a case for a mini with three scum factions, the third kill had to have come from town, i.e., me.

And Abhaas seems to be delaying now, he's been posting elsewhere.

posted 05-08-12 03:10 PM CT (US)     44 / 647  
    I dont think we can make a call on Herr either way until we hear from Gil and then go from there. Its unfair to make a call with flavor argument before we hear from the other side. Its a touch early for that. Waiting on Gil.

posted 05-08-12 03:12 PM CT (US)     45 / 647  
    I'm not sure anyone apart from Dante has decided that Herr is probably town, I'm far from convinced especially as he set himself up with an out if Gil does flip town.
    Excuse me? I've not left myself with any outs. I just guaranteed that he's scum because my action doesn't become a kill unless it is targeted at scum. There is a heavy chance that the kill fails, but the fact that there was a kill is proof that Abhaas is scum.

Maffia's just blatantly trying to spread misinformation now, first with the buyout =/= kill thing and now this.
    Herr's flavor is incorrect.
    Wait, what? The only part of my flavor justification that you have been able to double-check is the reason behind my stone, and that has been corroborated by CK.

posted 05-08-12 03:20 PM CT (US)     46 / 647  
    My one-shot iron comes from the fact that I have enough money to refuse a buyout at last once.
    This line juxtaposes my email in that it seems to be an unnecessary flavor line. Mine contained a single line of flavor and then a bold line stating my role. There was no justification. Seems odd that he has this.
    Same for this line. It also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If this is what he is doing then his action is giving a lot of money to people, but then somehowing buying them out if and only if they are an expansionist giant. A far more logical result of this flavor would be to imply that he is a doctor, as he saves people by providing funds. I also fail to understand why Rot would randomly choose Take-Two for this role. First of all, I'm pretty sure no company actually does this. Secondly, wikipedia states

"In 2005, Take-Two began a host of acquisitions, spending more than US$80 million buying game developers"

So that's pretty much not true unless my perception of things is not correct.
    This line does not make sense either. Herr's own power is clearly done in the same format as the other kills: buying out. He should know how it works.
    posted 05-08-12 03:21 PM CT (US)     47 / 647  
    Hey, don't try and use me to look less scummy/more town!

I just said what the buyout appear to be based on my role email.

posted 05-08-12 03:22 PM CT (US)     48 / 647  
    ^^^

Further evidence that specific flavor justifications are not likely.
    posted 05-08-12 03:25 PM CT (US)     49 / 647  
    I have asked Rot to explain how exactly my buyout = kill power works. As for the rest I'd like everyone to note that Thymole's entire case is still based purely on flavor while mine is based on actual, relevant facts.

posted 05-08-12 03:26 PM CT (US)     50 / 647  
    I have a paragraph of flavour then two sentences about my role if your using the flavour arguement.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 13  Next Page »
    HeavenGames » Forums » HG Main Mafia Forum » Industry Mafia - Game Thread
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    HeavenGames