Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Some modding questions
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
posted 05-22-13 12:10 PM EDT (US)   
Hey guys, I've played many mods, and even modified some of them, but there were always unanswered questions I always had, so I tought, "hey maybe the good people from AOE3 heaven know how to answer them..."

Here they go.

How do I stop new buildings/units with new textures to reverse back to the original

Lets say I want a new culture for one of my civs, I make the texture, open the animfile, add a submodel and place replaceTexture, and then match the new culture to the submodel. But some times, I only see the original texture. I know its an anti-freeze/lag method of the game, but I've also heard about someone who was able to stop this method.

How do I make (via proto) birds and other units to automaticly move?

I remember AOM add the move (...) persistent action, but If I want to make a scenario I have to use triggers to make my birds move, is it possible do the same via proto, maybe with an action parameter?

How to make campaigns available?

I've managed to use open the pregameuinew.xml and change the Asian Dynasties and Fire and Shadow campaign to my own, but when I click it, it does not open the campaign window, just stay the same

How do I change revolutions?

I know its not possible to add new revolutions, but how can I change them, (for exemple: I'm creating a US civ, original huh?, and I want its revolution to be the Confederates, since the US are now a playable civ, I can replace the George Washington Revolution, yet when I change the texture files of the flag in its ingame/postgame/button/ on the civ, its does not change at all)

How can you (modders who have added new civs/units/techs/), stop from the AI crashing?

Actually murdillator helped me on this one, but after a while the AI crashed again.

Is there a full list of unused grn. files?

After a long AOE3 mods experiments, I have noticed several things:

1 - Its not possible to add any 3d models to AOE3 (well actually WOTTA as managed, but that's not important right now )
2 - But at the same-time several conversion-pack mods (the "big ones"), add units/buildings that are not in the game with new models (Like the lookout or the post office in severall of them). I later realized that these weren not addon models, so they were probabily for AOE3 Beta, as somebody managed to make a list about these unused grn.files?

It's possible that I have even more, but I'm kind in a hurry so these are the most relevant ones. Answer please

Many thanks!
Replies:
posted 01-12-14 01:31 PM EDT (US)     251 / 289  
I don't think GIMP has limitations. some things on GIMP are even better than on Adobe Photoshop. Only working with the alpha channel is a little harder. I have worked on Adobe CS6 and I do now work on GIMP because CS6 isn't that exact in drawing pixel by pixel. GIMP is.
posted 01-26-14 09:36 AM EDT (US)     252 / 289  
When I was looking in the proto to create a new unit, I stumpled on this tag:
<Flag>DontSortAlphaPolys</Flag>

as far as I know the polygons determine if the alphachannel should be nothing, transparent or player color.

so I think that tag has something to do with the polygons, and the alphachannel (I think it is obvious why)

what does it do?
posted 01-26-14 06:09 PM EDT (US)     253 / 289  
I just want to tell you about Titan Joker's bone until I realized that you are Titan Joker.
posted 01-27-14 09:50 AM EDT (US)     254 / 289  
Ohh, I started this 254 replies agoo, about 8 months wAAAY before I had the modding knowledge and pratice I have now... The RT bug was also one of my problems therefore being in here as a question in how to resolve it. Funny, RT bug marks the last question I didn't know... Now I have answer for all of them... Hmm
When I was looking in the proto to create a new unit, I stumpled on this tag:
DontSortAlphaPolys

as far as I know the polygons determine if the alphachannel should be nothing, transparent or player color.

so I think that tag has something to do with the polygons, and the alphachannel (I think it is obvious why)

what does it do?
I have no idea, infact I just heard of it right now. Maybe Mister SCP knows...

[This message has been edited by Titan Joker (edited 01-27-2014 @ 10:20 AM).]

posted 01-27-14 01:36 PM EDT (US)     255 / 289  
Is there a way to solve the Replace texture bug (If that is what you were talking about )

I thought there were only ways to make the RT bug happen not as usual (such as: don't retexture models which are going to be used a lot ingame, that is why my carolean musketeer got a lot of texture bugs, it is a retextured veteran musketeer)

If it is not a hard way, and does not require special programs, tell me how to stop it
posted 01-27-14 04:54 PM EDT (US)     256 / 289  
duno what it does either

ESO2 Name:Sir_ConstantinESO Name:Sir_Pacman
Trigger Freak and Modder for AOE3

SCP Editor Tools---my map pack---Some incomplete stuff
My trigger Pack
posted 01-31-14 11:49 AM EDT (US)     257 / 289  
Is there a way to solve the Replace texture bug (If that is what you were talking about )

I thought there were only ways to make the RT bug happen not as usual (such as: don't retexture models which are going to be used a lot ingame, that is why my carolean musketeer got a lot of texture bugs, it is a retextured veteran musketeer)

If it is not a hard way, and does not require special programs, tell me how to stop it
RT bug has been a matter of discussion in the WotTA forums recently, Huanglukuzhu discovered that the trick to avoid this bug, is to have the models that use a new retextured skin preloaded when the game starts (at 0:00 seconds). After more discussions on how we were going to add this without setbacks (lag was an obvious one), I had the idea of attaching the models to a bone out of the map limits, thus, preloading the models, but not receiving any lag instead, after some testings by Musketeer925 and some corrections from Alexastor, I finally manage to make a bone that when has models attach to it, it won't produce lag: Download file.

So remember:

Attach the models you wan't to have a diferent skin to the bone as a main component, let me give you an example, imagining your unit uses a standard-non-upgraded musketeer model, here's the step by step:

1) define the bone:
<definebone>Attach_Bone</definebone>

2) define the model as attachment.
<attachment>
Musketeer_Age1
<component>
Model
<assetreference type="GrannyModel">
<file>units\infantry_ranged\musketeer\musketeer_2age</file>
</assetreference>
</component>
<anim>
Idle
<component>Model</component>
</anim>
</attachment>

3) Use the bone I created as main component, I already posted the link
<component>
Test
<file>imported\Test\Anti_lag_bone</file>
</assetreference>
<decal>
<texture>shadows_selections\shadow_circle_128x128</texture>
<selectedtexture>shadows_selections\selection_square_128x128</selectedtexture>
<width>3.20</width>
<height>3.20</height>
</decal>
</component>

4) Attach the unit model to the bone used as component:

<anim> Idle <component>Test</component> <attach a="Musketeer_Age1" frombone="ATTACHPOINT" tobone="Attach_Bone" syncanims="0"/> </anim>.

Remember, the model needs to be preloaded, so create a new unit that uses this anim file and make it a civ-starting unit, (define it at civs.xml), If you have question ask.

PS - It most likely won't create lag, (as it was tested above 300+ models, and no lag appeared), but If you have a low performance PC, other setbacks that haven't been discovered yet may apear. Also, (just a recommend), post all models you've replaceTextured in the same unit, instead of creating one for every new unit. Have fun with un-bugged replacedTextures
posted 02-01-14 02:57 PM EDT (US)     258 / 289  
wow, that is amazing. That they actually tried it so far to solve the RT bug. I makes the models a bit more complicated, so if I am going to use it I will only apply it to the units who have the RT bug a lot.

I've got a question (yes, another one....)

This will be a hard one, but I'm sure anybody will know this.

how do I edit the uiskirmishsetup.xml so I create a button which set the barracks to the discovery age and a button which set back to the colonial age?

I think I should do that by using a tech to move the barracks, but I need to know how to create a button in skirmish setup who enables the techstatus.
(also remember that I have to move some other game options because I wouldnt fit otherwise)

[This message has been edited by Peter194 (edited 02-01-2014 @ 02:59 PM).]

posted 02-02-14 04:08 AM EDT (US)     259 / 289  
I'm not sure this is possible. The game settings in the skirmish setup screen are hard-coded gadgets which link the game settings with the specific check buttons for them.

So, if you want to add a new game setting which already exists (like the team sharing option from the user profile .xml file), there's no way to link the option with a newly created button. It would only work if the game setting were a config variable like "hideParticles". Then it's possible to link a game option with a UI gadget.

Another way would probably be to create a new tech which enables baracks in age 1, then create the button in the skirmish setup screen (I can show you how to do that, it's very easy), but then the button needs a console command of this type:

homeCityResearchByIDPregame(<techID>) : Researches the given home city tech when you are *really* completely out side of the game.
homeCityResearchByIDOutsideGame(<playerID> <techName>) : Researches the given home city tech when a game is not active.
homeCityMakeActiveByID(<playerID> <techName>) : Activates the given home city tech.
homeCityResearchByID(<playerID> <techName>) : Researches the given home city tech.
homeCityResearch(<playerID> <techName>) : Researches the given home city tech.

But, as far as I tested these commands don't work properly. So, maybe another solution would be to make it a card in the tech tree and use it as the first card shipped in age 1.

[This message has been edited by Neuron (edited 02-02-2014 @ 03:47 PM).]

posted 02-07-14 02:55 PM EDT (US)     260 / 289  
It Isn't that hard apparently!

thanks for you help Neuron.
I can't keep asking you guys more questions, so here we go again:

I can be hardcoded, but I not sure because I don't know how to do it anyway. How do I create pictures of a tech who have the size of 128*192 instead of 64*64? I have created the techicon with that size and simply tried to install it, but it appeared as completely white ingame. So I think I should edit the ui of the menu of a buiding.
I seen somewhere someone who have created it, I think it was K&B mod, althoug I'm not really sure about this.
posted 02-07-14 08:20 PM EDT (US)     261 / 289  
No problem.

Well, the buttons which show up when you select a building are unit tactics and orders. They don't have the icons set in the UI files (as far as I know), the game takes the icons automatically from somewhere else (I think it might be from the proto files, or where unit tactics are stored). The UI files only code the buttons layout. So the UI for the unit/building command panel is like a general scheme (or a table with the buttons locations), on top of which, in game, each specific unit gets its specific tactics or orders buttons (the icons) when you select them.
But the UI file for the units/buildings doesn't store any specific unit icon.
How do I create pictures of a tech who have the size of 128*192 instead of 64*64?
I think you have to create a tech which has the same status as a Big Button tech for the TWC and TAD civs. So, if you create that tech correctly, the game should display it in the Big Button place, if you mod it on a TWC/TAD civ. Only these civs are hardcoded to use the big buttons in the unit command panel (as far as I know).
posted 03-06-14 04:33 PM EDT (US)     262 / 289  
srry for the late answer (too late actually)

that is for me a problem, because I do not own expansions (yet) but I am searching for the expansions. they are almost unfindable, and if I find a site who sells them, I have to pay at least 30 euros each.

so I am definetly going to continue my search, but first:
Have some of you ever looked at the fortfrontier? I tried to mod it into a castle who fires arrows instead of cannonballs. but it seemed to be that the smoke and the flares if the cannons shoot, are automatically created. not a single place in the anim file redirects to the particles during the attack anim. It is really wierd to see a cannon shoot arrows while it puffs smokerings.
posted 04-10-14 06:53 PM EDT (US)     263 / 289  
Modding noob here. How do I preload a unit model that Titan Joker described? How would I make it a civ starting unit in civs.xml? Is there a tutorial for this? Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Edit: this is in regards to how to fix new textures from reverting back to the old ones.

[This message has been edited by Sparklets (edited 04-10-2014 @ 10:24 PM).]

posted 04-11-14 06:46 AM EDT (US)     264 / 289  
Modding noob here. How do I preload a unit model that Titan Joker described? How would I make it a civ starting unit in civs.xml? Is there a tutorial for this? Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Edit: this is in regards to how to fix new textures from reverting back to the old ones.
Hi, welcome to AoE3's modding comunity, first of all, no there isn't any tutorial, but it's very simple so I'll explain.

Open your civs.xml and navigate through the file, this is what you can find:

<civ>
<name>Spanish</name>
<main>1</main>
<statsid>SP</statsid>
<portrait>The XX Century\Flags\Spain</portrait>
.........(and so on).........
</civ>

You later can find these lines, still between the <civ></civ> tags:

<startingunit>Explorer</startingunit>

What you'l need to do, is to add another line with your new unit name, let's say you called it UNIT123, in that case it would be this:

<startingunit>Explorer</startingunit>
<startingunit>UNIT123</startingunit>

This way, this new unit will be there once the game starts, thus being "preloaded" by the game.

Now keep in mind there's a need to a special anim file, where you attach the models that you don't want to revert to their original texture, if you have questions about that too, just ask, good luck!

[This message has been edited by Titan Joker (edited 04-11-2014 @ 06:47 AM).]

posted 04-11-14 09:49 AM EDT (US)     265 / 289  
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I see that it was very simple. Now, do I need to make a different new unit for every new texture that I don't want to revert back? Or is there a way to attach multiple new textures to the single new unit?

You also mentioned a special anim file that we attach models to so they won't revert back? How does that look?

Thank you again for working with me.
posted 04-11-14 12:42 PM EDT (US)     266 / 289  
Now, do I need to make a different new unit for every new texture that I don't want to revert back? Or is there a way to attach multiple new textures to the single new unit?
No you don't need a new unit for every texture, have you imagined the chaos?

Let me correct something you said, you don't attach textures to a single unit, you only attach the models. Models whose texture you want to replace, and you don't want to revert it back.

That's what I meant with a special anim file, it's special because you don't have anims, you only have tonnes and tonnes of models that are attached to a special-made bone that it's used as main component.

Let me show you an example, of what my special-anim file looks like:

One of the attachments

<attachment>
Minuteman_normal
<component>
white_smoke1
<file>units\infantry_ranged\minuteman\minuteman</file>
</assetreference>
</component>
<anim>
Idle
<component>white_smoke1</component>
</anim>
</attachment>

One of the multiple attachments I have, notice the attachment's name is Minuteman_normal, and it loads a model of the minuteman, whose filepath is units\infantry_ranged\minuteman\minuteman

Now have a look at my main component:

<component>
Test
<file>imported\Test\Anti_lag_bone</file>
</assetreference>
<decal>
<texture>shadows_selections\shadow_circle_128x128</texture>
<selectedtexture>shadows_selections\selection_square_128x128</selectedtexture>
<width>3.20</width>
<height>3.20</height>
</decal>
</component>

It's given name is Test, and it loads a special-made 3d bone, in order to eliminate the lag of the tonnes of models attached.

Now the only anim:

<anim>
Idle
<component>Test</component>
<attach a="Barracks_East_Dmg" frombone="ATTACHPOINT" tobone="Attach_Bone" syncanims="0"/>
<attach a="Barracks_East_Normal" frombone="ATTACHPOINT" tobone="Attach_Bone" syncanims="0"/>
<attach a="Barracks_East_Death" frombone="ATTACHPOINT" tobone="Attach_Bone" syncanims="0"/>
<attach a="Minuteman_normal" frombone="ATTACHPOINT" tobone="Attach_Bone" syncanims="0"/>
</anim>

Now, the anim uses as main component the Test component I use, and attaches many models (and I haven't show all), between them, the Minuteman_normal.

Now this means the model with the filepath units\infantry_ranged\minuteman\minuteman is attached to that unit, wich is preloaded by the civs.xml, therefore, any unit that uses a retextured minuteman model will not revert to it's original texture.

Some more notes, this isn't 100% tested as it's nearly impossible to attach all models from the game to it. It also uses a special-made bone (as I mentioned) in order to elimate the lag (imagine hundreds of models in one place, imense lag), you can look for the bone in the Miscellaneous Files in the download section, where I included an anim file with some examples on how to attach models.

I know it took this reply looks big and scary, but after you understand it it will become easier to understand, again if you have more questions ask... ciao!

[This message has been edited by Titan Joker (edited 04-11-2014 @ 12:42 PM).]

posted 04-11-14 02:16 PM EDT (US)     267 / 289  
well Titan, you have at least my attention. I was wondering how to preload something at civs.xml is that just the townstartingunits tag? or need it to be defined somewhere else?
posted 04-12-14 10:41 AM EDT (US)     268 / 289  
Titan, thank you again for the assistance! With your help I was able to suppress the RT bug that affected some of the textures I had. Best regards!
posted 04-12-14 11:50 AM EDT (US)     269 / 289  
@Peter hi, long time no see, the townstartingunits tag will only spawn the units once a the towncenter is build, so in nomad games you have to wait until one towncenter is done, that's not preloading, preloading is that when the game loads (the terrain, water, etc...) it also loads your units, an example of a preloaded unit is the Explorer, he is already ingame from the start.

So in order to preload something you don't wanna use the <townstartingunits </townstartingunits> tag, you're gonna want to use the <startingunit> </startingunit>, unless of course, you're really hardcore and edit the Random Map files

@Sparklets glad to be of help! I hope to see some of those textures in the near future , good luck with your modding!

[This message has been edited by Titan Joker (edited 04-12-2014 @ 01:01 PM).]

posted 04-13-14 09:33 AM EDT (US)     270 / 289  
okay, I have created it succesfully. and haven't had any RT bugs since then! thanks Titan!

I have updated my arquebusier and recreated the pikemen for my new mod:

Note: the new pikeman only applies to the WEST and EAST culture.

Arquebusier - Veteran Arquebusier
I'm not really done with the gun, but it looks quite good for now.
Pikeman - Veteran Pikeman
I'm acually pretty proud of the armor of the veteran pikeman. It looks the same as it's portrait icon.
posted 04-13-14 11:20 AM EDT (US)     271 / 289  
Love those textures, it's also nice that you gave some variation per culture, it gives a better taste of uniqueness for each culture, it was also weird seing british and dutch pikeman the same as spanish and portuguese ones...

Well, now that you've shown some of your own work I think it's my turn , I also based the 1st texture on the portrait and devoloped the rest from it

I'm also wondering how long did you take to make those textures? Only for comparison purposes, I did these ones around ~30-45 mins but involves in getting them into the game too.

EDIT: Just noticed, the middle one misses some player-color in the around-the-neck area...

[This message has been edited by Titan Joker (edited 04-13-2014 @ 11:22 AM).]

posted 04-14-14 03:38 AM EDT (US)     272 / 289  
That is impressive! How did you get that texture so high quality? Have you increased the canvas to 128x128? I am serious those units are absolutely beautiful!

EDIT: did you include the portrait icon in the time it took yours?
because the portrait icon like that should take a lot time i believe. have you drawed it by yourself?

It takes about 20-30 minutes to complete a unit, with a single visual, upgrades are mostly done later. if i use a enlarged texture model like the miner, it takes a bit longer. I think it is because i texture everthing pixel by pixel. I don't use any photoshop effects because i don't know most of the time how they work.

also: I should edit the gun on the portrait a little bit. it looks like the rifle has a suppressor / M1 garand rifle-grenade attached, and a sniperscope is adviced

[This message has been edited by Peter194 (edited 04-14-2014 @ 03:41 AM).]

posted 04-14-14 01:09 PM EDT (US)     273 / 289  
I usually work with textures in 128x128, even if there's no need for such detail, I would still work in 128x and only after I would resize to 64x, dunno why, maybe because I hate pixel texturing. I also use bumpmaps, that's important, otherwhise those textures would look plain...

Yes, the portrait it's included, portrait, icon, textures and upgrade variations, bumpmaps, and even some new models, altought it's not that time-wasting as you think, I import the models already done, most I adapt them to the game properties (rotation etc...), the portrait is just a render for another game's unit/class (probably 1st person shooter) that I slammed into my portrait and Icon .psd templates, the only edit I made was that white and lighter parts in it's clothes for player color.

Photoshop effects are used... regulary, like for example, if I need an outline for something I use black inner/outer glow, If I need some lightning and shading I use bevel&emboss, whenever I do things like buttons, belts, pockets I tend to use drop shadow... and other random stuff, for example, those ammo storage around his body where white, and instead of colouring them I just slammed a color overlay and selected a blend mode...

Maybe I will edit it, that's a grenade launcher, it seems, I'm just not sure about that scope, not because I think it wouldn't look good, but because it would take work, and I'm lazy as hell...

Thanks for your compliments, somewhere this month I plan to announce my mod, after soo much time.... that's whatyou get when I'm an huge procrastinator...
posted 04-15-14 02:51 PM EDT (US)     274 / 289  
Titan, how do you get these models? I can't find them online, and as long as I haven't found out how a virtual machine works, I will not be able to create them by myself.

Or do you create them by yourself?
the portrait is just a render for another game's unit/class (probably 1st person shooter) that I slammed into my portrait and Icon .psd templates,
I don't always create them by myself, probably because I will always fail to create a proper face . just simple fan art or old paintings from those units works just as good. as an example: My profile picture is just the face of: captain Frans Banning Cocq, from the nightwatch, painted by Rembrandt van Rijn in 1642 (don't try to pronounce the name of the captain xD, even I failed as a Dutchman). simply copied his face, shrinked to the file size, placed some player color parts and paint the green/brown glow behind it as a second layer. et violà! a new portrait

[This message has been edited by Peter194 (edited 04-15-2014 @ 02:51 PM).]

posted 04-16-14 11:41 AM EDT (US)     275 / 289  
I import them to the game using 3ds max, If I make them or not it depends, usually I don't, I normally use models from other games like civ4/5 or axis and allies, others can be found in other 3d model's sites; but if it's something that it's very easy to do, or, very rare to find it I might make them, the problem is, I'm not very good at modelling, so I try to get them most from other games.

The models used in that picture are the helmets (the 2nd one is just a retexture), and the gun of the last guy, and are all from civ4 (If I remember correctly).
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » Some modding questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames