Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Waveslave's Guide to Exploring a Texture
posted 23 May 2004 09:31 PM EDT (US)   
Exploring a Texture

A Waveslave Guide©

Often times, when a new modder opens up a texture, he wonders, what am I looking at? What color on this bmp file goes to what part of the AoM model? This guide will help that person establish the parts of a texture before they even begin.

Part I: The Bottom and Top Sections

The Upper Section

The top part of a texture is the actual texture, the colors and art that will wrap itself around the AoM unit model in-game. It is separated into different parts of the body, such as arms, front body, back body, legs, etc. Many times the head will be in a separate texture, but in special cases, such as heroes, the head will be included.

The Lower Section

The bottom half of the texture, the black and white section, is the silhouette of the team colors. Whatever white is showing, the unit's in-game team colors (blue, red etc) will appear at that spot. Notice that wherever a white spot in the lower half is, the same spot in the upper half is white too. This is so the team color will not mix with a texture color in-game, and produce a darker color at that spot. So if you are making team colors at the bottom, make sure the same spot above is white also. If you do not want any team colors on the unit, simply fill in all the white spots and make the entire lower section black.

Part II: The Coloring Technique

If you are having a hard time figuring out what is what on the texure, use the Color Technique to fix the problem.

A Specific Unknown Part

Do this if you are unsure on a specific detail about the texture, or where a specific part is.

Example: You want to find the front of the Hero Jason foot so you can make laces for the shoe. All you know is where the foot is, but not where the front is.

Enlarged to Show Detail

Color many different strips of vibrant, bright, vivid colors all around where you estimate it will be. Note, this will not work if you are simply editing the look of an AoM unit, but mainly if you are painting a whole new texture, because you can simply paint over the bright colors later. Be sure to make the colors visually different. Now, the area would look something like this:

Now, check it out in-game:

The laces would be best put over the red and gold stripes, based on their frontal location on the picture.

Unknown Full Texture

Do this if you are unsure about the whole texture.

1. First, using the Color Technique explained above, you should color the whole texture, using different block colors on each part. I will use Jason as an example again.

2. Next, check out the unit in game.

Clearly, you can now match up what part of the texture goes to the model by color-coordination. This will give you an understanding of where everything is.

3. If you want to, save the picture of the in-game colored unit and keep it next to you as you mod the texture. Print out the colored .BMP file, and keep it next to you as reference along with the in-game picture. Open up a fresh new texture of the same unit, only not colored, and you are back where you started, only this time, you know where everything is.

That should help you explore your texture as you figure out what part everything is.

Replies:
posted 25 May 2004 00:13 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
wow pretty cool. I have heard of this technique before but never seen it implemented.
posted 25 May 2004 03:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
thanks.... i always wondered what was what great guide

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 25 May 2004 04:53 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Sorry.... i thought it's pretty useless. does anyone, even seeinf atalanta's chest, cannot imagine where's her front???

something that might help: Create a king of small simbol with the shape of a foot to show us in which direction is the leg. It's always make me crazy, i dont know if the left is front, or the right part is the front. did u understand?

--- Twelve encarnations of evil attacked Earth in the last 12000 years. The elves have foreseen that another one will do the same. Tahattus is the 13º encarnation of evil, the last one, and battling against him will change all the rules about the things... --- Zumas Poéticas, 2300 B. C.

[This message was probably messed up by any of the moderators! (edited 06-26-2004 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 25 May 2004 08:36 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7  

Quote:

Sorry.... i thought it's pretty useless. does anyone, even seeinf atalanta's chest, cannot imagine where's her front???

Yes, you wouldn't believe how many people have no idea what a texture is when they start. And if this doesn't apply to you, why even post here?

Useless, is it Tahattus?

Even I can't find a certain spot sometimes, maybe I textured over a hand and I need to find where it is, and I always use that technique for finding the laces on shoes.

posted 25 May 2004 08:50 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
Now that was mean.

You try to find the head on that texture. It's not that easy.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Dnas (edited 05-25-2004 @ 09:05 AM).]

posted 25 May 2004 08:55 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Sorry Dnas, I just had to find a thread that proved my point.

Oh all right. Embarrassing thread of Waveslave's

[This message has been edited by waveslave610 (edited 05-25-2004 @ 08:55 AM).]

posted 27 May 2004 00:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
More! More! Just kidding, but I really like this. I think you should try to get it stickied ::cough cough, looks at lp::
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Waveslave's Guide to Exploring a Texture
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames