You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RockNRoR : mod to improve AI and add various game enhancing features
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 03-16-15 02:44 PM ET (US)   
Warning: this project is now named RockNRor.
The file is provided in RockNRor ZIP file.
See also RockNRor website for screenshots, etc.

This mod will contain
- Some already existing fixes
- All new fixes that I find
- All new features I can develop for RoR.

Main ideas are:
- Improve AI to make it more challenging
- Add features like get map seed, add new conversion resistances (see the details below)
- Allow more and more possible configuration. Almost all features can be configured to best suit YOUR expectations.
- Potential improvements/features are almost illimited ! Other major enhancements may come in the future.

As it is part of ROR_API system, it only needs minimal changes in original game files. Moreover, these changes are compatible with all other mods that are written for ROR_API. For the first time, a common part of the code might be overloaded by 2 mods at once !

Requirements:
- Windows XP, 7 or later (compatible with linux using wine+winetricks)
- Windows 10 : please see FAQ paragraph
- Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable libraries 2013
- Rise of Rome expansion !

Installation
- Run RockNRoradmin.exe (make sure to use latest version) and use the dedicated menu entry.

Please provide feedback. This is still under heavy development, I hope it is bug-free.

Keys:
Scenario Editor : F1 to switch to "select unit" mode
Scenario Editor : F2 to edit selected unit
Scenario Editor : F3 to open RockNRor menu (edit terrain, triggers, get PER/AI files, etc)
Scenario Editor : F10 to open standard menu

FAQ:
Does it work for 1.0b version or vanilla AoE ?
Yes... But features will be very limited !

How do I set up my own configuration for conversion resistance, custom civilizations or any other stuff ?
Just edit RockNRor.xml / RockNRor_civs.xml...

Can I make sure all RockNRor features work correctly ?
- Open RockNRor.log and check for error messages. It will tell you if a feature could ne be enabled (if CustomizeAOE changes are missing)
- Press F1 in ROR main menu (first screen). If an options screen appears, then RockNRor is working. If AOE help opens, then RockNRor is not working.
- Select a unit and press F2 in game screen. If a popup shows up, then RockNRor is working.

The game is not working well in Windows 10 system
If the game does not run, does not run in full screen, or if RockNRor is not active (see the previous paragraph to see how you can check this), then follow the indications as follows:
copy-paste manually the links, there is a bug with the forums if you click on them
- Install the standard Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable libraries 2013
- If you still have issues, install the updated libraries
- If you still have issues, install the all-in-one libraries found by Phatfish
- If you still have issues, right click on your shortcut or game 'exe' file, open the properties/compatibility, and select the Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Features:
- Handle up to 255 civilizations in ROR instead of 16 (see RockNRor_civs.xml).
- Improved game speed change with +/- buttons. Choose the speed change factor (default 1.25) in XML config or in-game RockNRor menu.
- Dramatically improve defence AI: train relevant units according to attacking units and accoding to player's available units.
- Improve unit targeting so that AI units do not hesitate between several targets (including 2-priest trick).
- Ability to customize number of relics/ruins in random games/deathmatch.
- Replace SNScalingFrequency unit from minutes to seconds (low values will automatically be fixed to prevent issues).
- Improved tactical AI updates:
-- Disable irrelevant limited-retrain units (like clubmen) when starting at iron age or post-iron.
-- Unblock "stuck buildings". It is necessary to wait a moment before doing this or the player will lose all his resources trying to build something that is "instant-killed" by the enemy.
-- Add some useful (available) researches if the player is rich, well developed (for example, wheel when it's not included in player's strategy).
-- TO DO - Disable useless building (governement center) if it is no longer useful (all underlying techs researched, iron age already researched).
-- TO DO - Improve farms management (lower their priority in AI list).
- Set a maximum number of farms in deathmatch games. AI builds too much farms in deathmatch (SNMaxFarms).
- Automatically computes AI's "dislike" values against each player. A player with all relics/ruins/wonder will have more chances to be taken as target.
- Change conversion resistances, like 1.25 for war elephants instead of 1 (customizable in config file).
- Faster town building at game startup in deathmatch using appropriate SN numbers (SNRequiredFirstBuilding, SNInitialExplorationRequired).
- Improve some city plan calculations to prevent villagers from being stuck and improve access to TC (+granary/SP) for farmers/gatherers...
-- Always protect Town center (and granry/storage pit) immediate neighborhood from being built (may occur when using custom city plan configurations)
-- Improve granary location choice (closer from most of the target bushes)
-- Avoid construction of many consecutive buildings in a row that leave no way for living units
- Correctly sets AI control at game startup when using the "ManageAI" feature (allows AI to control your "old" player when changing with gaia cheat code).
- Triggers system
- Enhanced scenario editor
- etc...

Fixes:
- Fix timer bug on fast computers (game freezes in low game speeds).
- Fix stuck AI bug #1: missing unitId in computer players strategy for unfinished buildings.
- Fix stuck AI bug #2: strategy when an unfinished building is destroyed (computer player will no longer get stuck).
- Fix stuck AI bug #3: strategy when a building that is currently training a unit is destroyed (computer player will no longer get stuck).
- Fix stuck AI bug #4: when entering "panic mode", too much irrelevant units are added on top of strategy and AI gets stuck.
- Fix bug with reveal map option in game settings (does not applies correctly to all players). Bug can be observed with FULL_computerPlayer1 or when switching players with gaia cheat code.
- Fix SNRequiredFirstBuilding handling (was not working correctly).

Misc:
- A new button in game menu opens RockNRor options UI.
- Automatically show "F11" information at game startup.
- In scenario editor, F10 opens the menu.
- Display a chat message at game startup to say the plugin is active.

Chat commands:
- Type "t" or "time" in chat box to display system time (as a chat message)
- Type "seed" to get map seed (as a chat message)
- Type "ai" or "AI" in chat box to fix AI control flags after using a "gaia*" cheat code.
- Type "allai" or "allAI" in chat box enable computer-control for ALL players
- Type "hi" to get Hello world, "about" for information about RockNRor.
- Type "timer stats" to get info related to game timer bug.

Troubleshooting:
- You may need to run your editor as admin to edit XML files according to the location you installed the game.
- RockNRor produces a log file named "RockNRor.log" in RockNRor folder in Age of Empires installation directory.
- If the game process does not have necessary rights, the log file might be located in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Jeux\Age of Empires
- Make sure the "ROR_API.conf" file contains the lines 'wndmode.dll' and 'RockNRor.dll' (without the quotes and without extra characters on the same line)
- If the game won't run, try to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode

[This message has been edited by chab (edited 07-05-2020 @ 10:36 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-26-21 09:57 PM ET (US)     201 / 233  
I am extremely grateful to you.
Now I can allow MP3 through RocknRoR and change the resolution correctly
posted 11-27-21 07:25 AM ET (US)     202 / 233  
Thank you for your feedback, I am happy to see that it is useful to you.
posted 12-02-21 10:00 AM ET (US)     203 / 233  
HI, I was faced with a new problem.
I tested two computers connected to multiplayer games via TCP/IP, but the host player was jointly controlled by AI and players. Moreover, the host will crash soon after entering the game.
posted 12-06-21 12:15 PM ET (US)     204 / 233  
Hello,
I tried to make the mod so that it is compatible with MP games, but it's experimental.
Testing/debugging it is too long and complicated and I don't have the time to do it.
If you have issues with MP and RockNRor, I suggest to play MP games with the regular ROR game, and use RockNRor for SP games (which is its main purpose).

Sorry for that, but at least I don't want to deceive you with false hopes...
posted 12-14-21 08:42 AM ET (US)     205 / 233  
I understand that very well. This is already great.
Sincerely thank you for your selfless dedication to this classic game!
posted 03-10-22 02:05 AM ET (US)     206 / 233  
I Have Some Problems
1.Can it install in Upatch 1.1HD Version?
2.Can it provide the api to use AOK AI Files?

[This message has been edited by WhiteGiveMan (edited 03-11-2022 @ 01:38 AM).]

posted 04-24-22 06:16 PM ET (US)     207 / 233  
Hi chab,

I've just upgraded to the latest version of Rock n Ror, but there seems to be a problem. One of the extra commands which lets you switch to any other AI players is not working.

I wanted to check the remaining resources of an enemy, but whenever I type the "set control=6" into the extra commands fields, it moves to the blank bar right next to where the command is inserted.

If I type "set control=f" it shows "controlling player#=-1" in the bar that was blank with a number inserted. Pressing enter results in memory address error. (I guess it's normal, because -1 player ID is non-existent.)

Also, typing "set control=" switches to gaia.

No matter what number I place instead of X after set control= it never changes to the view of the chosen player ID.

Do you have any ideas how to fix this?
posted 04-29-22 01:58 PM ET (US)     208 / 233  
Yes there is a small bug in Rocknror with this command in current version, I'll fix it
posted 04-30-22 10:22 AM ET (US)     209 / 233  
Hello, you are really a great person, I like your software very much, but both in Vietnam and China use the 1.0B version, it would be great if the 1.0B version also has a 1.0C version, maybe You don't have time, can you tell me how to implement it? Can you tell me the principle? Thank you very much.

1.0B的1.0B的1.0C的

Xin chào bạn, bạn thực sự là một ngưi tuyệt vời, tôi rất thích phần mềm của bạn, tuy nhiên ở Việt Nam và Trung Quốc đu sử dụng phiên bản 1.0B, sẽ rất tuyệt nếu phiên bản 1.0B cũng có phiên bản 1.0C, có thể bạn không có thời gian, bạn có thể cho tôi biết làm thế nào đ thực hiện nó? Bạn có thể cho tôi biết nguyên tắc? Cảm ơn bạn nhiều.
posted 08-01-22 01:20 PM ET (US)     210 / 233  
Hello, I bought the game gold version on one site. Downloaded the DRS files for my resolution (1920/1080) moved them to the Data and Data2 folders. I ran the file as an administrator and entered everything, but it says that it could not be modified. Please can you half-pathically explain what to do if I just want to change the resolution? Much please. Thank you. Upatch increased the resolution without any problems, but I don't want to upatch. The game is from the site old games com, I had to pay for the game. Why does it work with upatch? Do you really just put the two files in the data and data 2 folders, run the app and it should work? Could you please emulate upatch which is much better at this? Did I throw money down the drain? Thank you. It would be enough to create software that only changes the resolution to full HD like upatch, but otherwise it won't change anything and I would be in seventh heaven. Could it be because I'm using windows 11? Thank you. Please help me a lot. Please.

[This message has been edited by darkmarek (edited 08-04-2022 @ 05:18 AM).]

posted 08-09-22 11:12 AM ET (US)     211 / 233  
Hello
I am not aware of issues because of windows 11.

To change resolution, what you can do is
- Make a copy of empiresX.exe. It's not mandatory but by doing so you can "patch" the copy, and preserve your original file. If you do so, of course to play the game with higher resolution, run the "copy" exe file, not the original one
- Download the DRS files, and put them in any folder (don't move them manually to the game folder, you would overwrite original files, which is not necessary - nor recommended
- Run rocknroradmin.exe as administrator
- in the menu, file / Change game resolution
- follow the steps...
- Notes :
-- select the "copy" exe file if you created one
-- select the DRS files from the download location and *let the software move/rename them to the correct location*

remark : of course UPatch is more straightforward, its a mod that does not allow any customization.
RockNRor is entirely configurable and let you customize almost everything, so yes you have to make some choices and/or additional manipulations if you want some specific configuration.

[This message has been edited by chab (edited 08-09-2022 @ 11:15 AM).]

posted 08-09-22 04:53 PM ET (US)     212 / 233  
Hello, thank you very much for your help. I probably did everything correctly and the following sentence appeared for each drs file: Check it is not write protected. And one sentence: Could not create all necessary files. Abort. Please help me. Thanks.
posted 08-14-22 09:55 AM ET (US)     213 / 233  
Probably is win11, you are barely in full control of the software with that shit OS. What I suggest is get a copy of Win7 and install on a new partition or external drive (or use a VM), then use that to play AoE and install RockNRoR, should be much more hassle free.
posted 08-17-22 12:14 PM ET (US)     214 / 233  
I'm very sorry for my ignorance, maybe the problem was because I was using the shortcut icon and not the exe or whatever it's called. Unfortunately, before I figured it out, I tried in rocknror the option to reset the screen resolution in the registry. Now I got the message Unable to create all necessary files, abort. And rocknror writes: File cannot be copied (data). Check if it is not write protected. It says the same for data2. Could it have something to do with resetting the screen resolution in the registry? Thank you very much. If only I had thought earlier that I couldn't use the proxy. I'm really...
posted 08-18-22 09:10 AM ET (US)     215 / 233  
Resetting the resolution in the registry should not be a problem here.
You can try to copy the whole AOE game folder and paste it in a place that is not protected by the system (eg NOT program files, NOT directly under C:\, etc).
And of course make sure files/folders are not write protected, run the program as admin, select the game (exe) from the "copy" folder
And to play the game don't forget to run the same exe as the one you customized with RockNRorAdmin program.
posted 08-18-22 11:42 AM ET (US)     216 / 233  
I put it in my downloads. It says: Game file could not be patched. Could it be that I am logged in to the laptop with limited rights as a guest? It's just that I know the PIN, which I often have to enter when I want to run a program, for example. Or log in as an administrator which I do. Thank you.
posted 08-24-22 11:30 AM ET (US)     217 / 233  
Please modify the program so that it also works with AOE or advise me what to do. Thank you. You're great for paying attention to me at all. You are great.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 08-26-2022 @ 08:14 AM).]

posted 08-26-22 08:12 AM ET (US)     218 / 233  
Cool it with the blatant advertising for a website with unofficial game purchases please.

You can check the .exe file version, make sure it is supported with RockNRoR.
posted 08-29-22 04:14 AM ET (US)     219 / 233  
The file version is 0.4.2.901. Microsoft Corporation. Size 1.44 MB. How can you tell if it is compatible? I don't know about it. Thank you very much. Is there a patch that modifies AOE 1 definitive edition so that everything is the same and looks the same as in AOE 1 gold?

[This message has been edited by darkmarek (edited 08-29-2022 @ 04:40 AM).]

posted 09-03-22 09:42 AM ET (US)     220 / 233  
I think your version is AOE1.0b (ROR 1.0) without the final patch.
It's compatible to change game resolution or use windowed mode, but not for using RockNROR mod.

Try to copy AOE folder to a folder which is not system-protected and not readonly, for example c:\stuff\AOE or d:\games\aoe if you have other hard drives (other than windows hard drive)
Make sure to run RockNRorAdmin as admin.
If you still have issues, then it's an issue with your system, not with rocknror.
I don't have clues or the time to troubleshoot this more anyway.

@Phatfish, I took the time to release a new build that includes a form to search for units in scenario editor (new button in F3 editor menu)
Tip: If you find a unit and close the popup, you can press F2 to access unit properties (while it's selected)... and delete it if you want (typically to clean up flares or that kind of units !)

I hope it can help you and save time when designing scenarios (I saw your production in another thread and it was impressive)
posted 09-07-22 11:19 AM ET (US)     221 / 233  
Sorry, I kinda confused when installed this mod.

1. Where should I install this mod into?
2. How I create new civs with this. Are we just type new civs in RockNRor_civs.xml, save it, and then what must I do? To put RockNRor_civs.xml inside what folder or just leave it there.
3. How to change AI/PER with this? Does it really fix some crappy A.I., when beginning the A.I. always act so aggressively (in the hardest difficulty), then after sometime it will became passive unnoticeably.
4. Does it support Aoe2r + newest unofficial patch?

Thank you.
*Note: texts with underline is the most important I wanted to ask you.
posted 09-08-22 09:15 AM ET (US)     222 / 233  
I took the time to release a new build that includes a form to search for units in scenario editor (new button in F3 editor menu)
Tip: If you find a unit and close the popup, you can press F2 to access unit properties (while it's selected)... and delete it if you want (typically to clean up flares or that kind of units !)

I hope it can help you and save time when designing scenarios (I saw your production in another thread and it was impressive)
Very useful feature, especially when cleaning up certain areas that have been overlapped with other objects. May even help to solve rare case of crashing! I probably won't turn to scn design for a while though, but I'm not ruling anything out. Who knows
posted 12-17-22 05:06 AM ET (US)     223 / 233  
Please, I would be happy if the creators of rocknror modified it to work with AOE versions that can be legally purchased and then downloaded to a laptop. It may only apply to some pages, but I can't list them here so as not to advertise. I am not happy with Upatch at all. I just want to change the resolution and I don't want to change almost anything else. Or I would have to meet with the creator of Upatch and talk about all the changes and agree on what would suit me and what I don't want. But that's nonsense and it's unrealistic why he should meet with me like this to have a long discussion and finally create for me the version that I would like. Of course that's bullshit. Please, would it be possible to modify rocknror so that it also adds all the trial versions to the base game and the data disk to the AOE? These two things, the change in resolution and the included trial version, would definitely be enough for me, at least for now. Later, I might start to miss better AI. I really thank everyone who put in the work and work on programs to improve AOE and other older games and offer them for free on sites like this, it's great!!!
posted 07-05-23 04:35 PM ET (US)     224 / 233  
Why waste time on limited trial versions?

Hey Chab, I can't get the custom map size funtion to work anymore - I set the xml values to:

map name="maximumMapSize" value="300"

editor name="UseCustomMapDimensions" enable="1"

yet it won't generate anything above 255x255 anymore. Is this bugged at the moment? Latest version.
posted 07-07-23 11:57 AM ET (US)     225 / 233  
I think it's still supposed to work the same, no changes recently.
However higher values than 256 can be unstable.
In the editor I think you can generate an empty map 20*300, but it won't generate a random map with these dimensions

Did you try an empty map ?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » RockNRoR : mod to improve AI and add various game enhancing features
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames