You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What is the best way to draw different kingdoms' territories on your Instruction screen maps?
posted 08-11-21 03:07 PM ET (US)   
When you design maps for AOE1 and AOE2, what is the best way to draw different kingdoms' territories?
-- In the official AOE ROR and AOE DE campaigns, it looks like they take a geographical map with water and brown land and then paint shades on top match the Players' territories, like Bluish land for the Blue Player (eg. Greece) and Reddish land for the Red Player (eg. Persia). One challenge with this method is that I don't know how to do this with Windows Paint. I guess you need a special program like Photoshop or Gimp or Turtle to paint shades of colors onto Brown land.
-- Another option is to use Paint and just draw the borders of your territory in colors and then leave the land itself brown. I guess that this is the best method.
-- Another option is to use Paint's "spraypaint" option, but this looks pretty trashy IMO, painting specks of pure colors onto brown land.
-- Another option is to draw the borderlines of your Players' territory and then paint diagonal lines across your territory like this pattern where the brackets represent the borderlines: [//////////]

Nacht Jaeger used a combination of the spraypaint option and the diagonal lines option in his map here:

Here is how the AOE1 ROR official campaign game paints the Instruction map for the Ctesiphon scenario:

As you can see, they take the water and land and then seem to switch it to Blue and Red while keeping the saame features like little hills or rough terrain. In other words, they switch the terrain color from brown to blue or red while keeping the same terrain otherwise.

It looks hard to recreate this same effect.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 08-11-2021 @ 05:21 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-12-21 06:29 AM ET (US)     1 / 2  
I guess you need a special program like Photoshop or Gimp
You answered your own question there.
posted 08-13-21 12:08 PM ET (US)     2 / 2  
Yeah, that's the way I did it for my messy ass bitmaps in my last campaign. However if you're really intent on using Paint and using the mapdefault.bmp as a base there is a nifty trick that it replaces the color black with the default background in-game. That way you can quite effectively create a kind of mesh pattern, by making every other pixel black and every other pixel your chosen color, and then paste that pattern onto your bitmap. It's not real transparency, but looks somewhat like it.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » What is the best way to draw different kingdoms' territories on your Instruction screen maps?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames