You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: So, I'm suprised no-one has commented on this piece of epic yet here.
posted 04-14-12 05:35 PM ET (US)   
Found by Litude a little over a month ago - this is truly another amazing discovery!

"I came across a new very early screenshot of Age of Empires from the English PC Zone magazine. It's from the period where Ensemble Studios was messing around with the GUI quite regularly but unlike the screenshots we already have which show a peaceful village, this one shows a quite huge battle taking place.

Another interesting fact is that this screenshot also shows that the Ice Age was indeed in the game at some point, as you can see written in the lower right corner.

Also, it gives some new food for thought since I and DarkRain654 were almost sure these screenshots were simply mock-ups but the surfacing of this screenshot pretty much disproves that theory."

See the screenshot below:

I mean, holy F. I just love gazing at the amazing early graphics. They look so freaking great, absolutely fantastic stuff!

The original news announcement on AoE Beta also features awesome original cutscenes.

Hats off to Litude!
Replies:
posted 04-14-12 06:00 PM ET (US)     1 / 24  
That gold mine is pretty cool. More realistic than the end-version’s.

Who was that Maud person anyway?
posted 04-14-12 08:56 PM ET (US)     2 / 24  
Wow...
I am speechless. Congrats to Litude for his discovery.
posted 04-14-12 09:25 PM ET (US)     3 / 24  
Amazing.

I like the water. It's clearly better than the 0,0,255 water AoE currently have :/

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 04-15-12 06:43 AM ET (US)     4 / 24  
The foot soldiers remind me of the legions and javelineers of Ceasar III!
posted 04-15-12 10:50 PM ET (US)     5 / 24  
Wow! no matter if the arrows look massive, that is indeed a great discovery. I wish this version was available somewhere. I love how the minimap looks as well! sweet!.
posted 04-16-12 11:54 AM ET (US)     6 / 24  
Incredible discovery, I believe those brown tiles in top right corner were left in the .drs files. The minimap, interestingly, looks very smooth.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 04-16-12 05:53 PM ET (US)     7 / 24  
The water-land borders are smoother, too. It makes some kind of little cliff... they should have kept them.

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 04-19-12 08:45 PM ET (US)     8 / 24  
Very nice finding! Somehow they still amaze me. Who knows what other beta/alpha material is undiscovered?

LordDraganta: Admin of Age Of Empires Village
posted 04-22-12 01:13 PM ET (US)     9 / 24  
The horses look great.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
posted 04-23-12 02:05 AM ET (US)     10 / 24  
It's so weird. It reminds me of starcraft in a way.
Its interesting, but I prefer every end game graphic, please.

USA
katsup or mustard

[This message has been edited by local boi (edited 04-23-2012 @ 02:06 AM).]

posted 04-24-12 10:22 AM ET (US)     11 / 24  
I just wish a lot of these would still be available as placable objects, even if non functional like the Trade Workshop. It would make scn design just so much more awesome and diverse!
posted 04-24-12 11:19 AM ET (US)     12 / 24  
I don't really like the unit and naval graphics in this shot. Only the chariots looks reasonably good.

However, the minimap looks really great. I also like the idea of the gold mine, but it could have used an update.

But the best might be the land/water border. No automatic beach that you need to cover up if it's a river. But of course that creates a problem for beaches. I think they should have made 2 types of water, river and sea instead of water and deep water and based on that render the border with land.

How long before release was this screenshot?
posted 04-24-12 05:36 PM ET (US)     13 / 24  
That screen shots looks pretty early, more likely from the early prototype (~18+ months before release) than the final game.

As for the beach borders, they serve an important function of not allowing building placement (except for docks) to allow for until travel.
posted 04-24-12 05:46 PM ET (US)     14 / 24  
But surely ES would have been able to code river banks to also not allow buildings except docks, so that river banks and beaches only differ in graphic.
posted 04-25-12 07:34 AM ET (US)     15 / 24  
Nice to see you here Matt! I know you're busy, but I hope you can answer some of the questions our forumers have from time to time - everyone would greatly appreciate it

What do you guys think of the trees? They look somewhat larger than in final. Were they scaled down to make loading faster? I can recognize 2 trees which have survived, one being the yellow Ash tree and the tree just above the red ballista near the right upper corner, which is the scaled down bonsai-like tree from the beta (which can also be found in the trial).

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 04-25-2012 @ 07:35 AM).]

posted 04-25-12 11:19 AM ET (US)     16 / 24  
The one in the bottom right corner looks like the end-version’s beech tree (except for the colour).

I don’t like them. The end-version’s trees are pretty good although I wished they were bigger.

----

I’m also glad they removed that modern stop sign. How deplorable!

Who was that Maud person anyway?

[This message has been edited by Crossbowman (edited 04-25-2012 @ 06:00 PM).]

posted 04-25-12 09:05 PM ET (US)     17 / 24  
The tree size is nicer than the final version, however the aspect isn't, just like I don't like much any trees besides AoE's/RoR even though they look more like trees and less like shrubs.
posted 05-01-12 05:58 PM ET (US)     18 / 24  
i saw this and went into the site, quite interesting it worked out quite well i copied the files into the real game an it works also copied the Age of Empires Rise of Rome Expansion Trial campaigns an multiplayer scenarios into the full game an they worked as well.
posted 05-05-12 03:43 PM ET (US)     19 / 24  
I'd have still played it back then if it looked like that.

It's pretty much hands down the best one in the series.

However I feel like AoM had the best system out of them as far as balancing the counter units goes.

Why do you think RoR was chosen?

[This message has been edited by Sublimistri (edited 05-05-2012 @ 03:46 PM).]

posted 05-06-12 06:22 AM ET (US)     20 / 24  
The one thing that stands out most for me is the interface. How the mini-map is located on the left side rather than right and how the resource indicators are paired with the rest of the elements on the GUI bar rather than located at the top by themselves. GUI is definitely easier to look at.
posted 05-06-12 07:50 AM ET (US)     21 / 24  
Best part for me is the bit where they have chariots and ballistas in the ICE AGE!

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
posted 05-06-12 08:02 AM ET (US)     22 / 24  
So historians were wrong after all... Tribes rose before or during the Ice age already! Also, if I'm not mistaken, the white UI still can be found in the graphics.drs file, so this was a playable build for sure.
posted 05-06-12 09:03 AM ET (US)     23 / 24  
Alpha builds usually are. I'd love to get my hands on one.
posted 05-07-12 11:44 AM ET (US)     24 / 24  
Lol I just noticed the Ice Age indicator, lol!
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » So, I'm suprised no-one has commented on this piece of epic yet here.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames