Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I think I have found the ultimate Failed to Join Fix
posted 11-03-08 11:29 AM EDT (US)   
Alright, so before I did this, I was getting a Failed to Join error on about 80% of games.
I tried all the things listed in this thread:
http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/1/768566/ShowThread.aspx

• I've turned off my Windows Firewall, my Avast On-Protection Control.
  • I've also tried with UPNP off and on (and using utorrent and a UPNP testing application I can confirm that UPNP works on my router).
  • I've tried forward ports 80 and 2300-2340.
  • I've made a fresh install of just vanilla.
  • I've tried the user.cfg method.

This is on a Vista 64bit machine btw, with a wireless network card connecting to my Speedtouch 585 (Bebox) router.

THE FIX:
  • Ensure UPNP is working on your router and your computer (use this to test). If it is not working, then first go to your router's page and find the UPNP option. If it's on but UPNP still doesn't work then try turning your router off and on. If that doesn't work then google is your friend.

• Delete any port forwarding you have made for AOE3 (ie. ports 2300-2310).

• Download and install utorrent. Set the program to use UPNP and use the port number 2300. And then close the program, wait a minute and then reopen the program (this is so that the new port number is made on your router). To check if the port is working, wait a minute and if a green icon with a tick near the bottom of utorrent's interface comes up then it is working.

• NOTE: You will have to keep utorrent running in the background before launching and while playing AOE3, so also make sure to set upload and download speed of the program to 1kb/s (NOT 0 kb/s).

Since I've done this I've been able to join every game

DeviantArt | Me | Liquid Fire

~ I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning its motives ~

[This message has been edited by Inazuma (edited 11-03-2008 @ 12:45 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 11-03-08 11:49 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14  
    Wow thanx man.
    I get a lot of failed to join errors.
    Will try this out when I get the chance

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
    posted 11-03-08 03:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14  
    If this were to work 100 percent effectively and not let crazy hackers into your computer then you just fixed the "potential" (other than twc iros) biggest issues ensemble studios has dealt with in the last 3 years.

I don't have failed to join problems but I really hope this helps those who do.

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
    "So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
    "I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
    posted 11-03-08 05:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14  
    I don't have the faild to join error either, but I hope this really works. Can I ask how you figured out that you need to use that program?

I love Marneus Calgar more than anyone else at Heavengames!
    Accomplishments:
    The Run Back Home (for AoM)(4.2),Arrow Key Movement (for AoM), WorldMap v2 (3.1)(for AoE3) Fight for Life RPG (For AoE3)
    Work In Progress:
    Click Upon an Old Man (30% complete)
    posted 11-03-08 05:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14  
    Lucky, I get failed to join 25% of the time. Not too bad, but my computer is already slow enough without viruses.
    posted 11-03-08 06:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14  
    Thanks.
    Well from what I'd already tried, I'd figured that AOE3 probably wasn't setting the ports like it should do itself. Forwarding ports should have worked, but it didn't (this may be a problem isolated to myself and people with similar setups tbh).

Utorrent is the only program I know that can open ports without a problem and that you can set which port to use and I knew that AOE3 uses ports 2300-2310. So I just figured if I set utorrent to open one of those port numbers then it would work.

~ I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning its motives ~

posted 11-04-08 00:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 14  
    not to advertise but i suggest you post this around, aka age sanc and age comm, maybe shoot milo an email bc they have literally had hell with this problem.

׺°˜`°º×RealityFatality׺°˜`°º×
    "So, what do you guys think? What's theverdict? OP, or do I need to stop smoking crack?"
    "I don't have hard drives. I just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers"

[This message has been edited by Kiverly Spears (edited 18-12-2008 @ 9:21 PM).]
    posted 11-04-08 00:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14  
    Probably a good idea.

If this fix is shown to work as often as you think it might...well then this would be quite a find you have here.

Good work so far!

Ex-Seraph Cheesewiz - Former WICH Webmaster, AOE3H Webmaster, & RTWH Staff, HeavenGames LLC
    World_in_Conflict_Heaven || Age_of_Empires_III_Heaven || Support_HeavenGames || The_Playpen || Do_The_Right_Thing
    posted 11-04-08 03:46 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14  
    I used to FTJ, but, then I Port Fowarded and have never had a problem. (So far)....
    posted 11-04-08 01:07 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14  
    Probably a better idea for readers to try it out before everyone starts hyping :/

posted 11-05-08 11:15 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14  
    Doesn't work for me

I used the UPNP test, and fixed all problems, so it got PASSED everywhere.
    Also set µTorrent to use port 2300 (µTorrent portcheckers tell that it's open, however, any other ports starting from 2301 aren't open) and set up- and downloadlimit to 1kb/s.

Still, I can't join many games.
    posted 11-17-08 07:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 14  
    Vincey, utorrent only opens one port. The game does only need one port (any one from 2300-2310), however it's possible something else is using 2300. So try opening 2301, then 2302, etc. But remember you must close AOE3 and restart utorrent each time you change the port.

Edit: My cousin has also tried this method and it's worked for him

[This message has been edited by Inazuma (edited 11-17-2008 @ 07:52 AM).]

posted 11-17-08 05:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14  
    how do you port forward?

Heros
    Cookie
    James
    Kiv
    I'm Back...3peat
    posted 11-17-08 05:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14  
    www.portforward.com

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
    posted 11-17-08 07:16 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14  
    k thanks!
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » I think I have found the ultimate Failed to Join Fix
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames