Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Need explorers and some mercs to speak Lakota
posted 02-22-10 02:33 PM EDT (US)   
I didn't see a thread about this, or any mention in the FAQ thread.

Basically I need to know how to make the following units speak Lakota:

YPSPCChen
SPCXPKanyenke
SPCXPOldKanyenke
SPCXPNonahkee
ypNatMercRattanShield
xpCoyoteMan
SPCBeaumont

I've tried Player: Override Civilization for Sound, but only "general-use" units change language, e.g. Villager, Surgeon, generic artillery.

The RPG campaign is set in precontact North America so all of the starting hero units must speak Lakota, and need to be infantry units which don't have a firearms attack. (This is why I'm not using SPCXPCrazyHorse, SPCXPChiefTwoMoon, etc.)

It's intended for multiplayer play, so I don't want to make a separate mod just yet. I want to see if it can be done with triggers first, so players don't have to download a mod file to test it.

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
Replies:
posted 02-24-10 04:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
I don't think triggers can change their sound file.

The easiest way to do that is to copy the lakota sound file (in the sounds folder, if you haven't modded sounds before you'll probably need to extract soundxml2.bar). Paste the file in the Sounds folder in your AOE3 folder (c/program files/Microsoft games/Age of Empires III/Sounds) and then edit the title to be the proto name of your unit (I.E. SPCXPKanyenke, SPCXPOldKanyenke, or SPCXPNonahkee) and also edit this line in the top of your sound file:

<protounit name="xpLakotaWarchief">

Change xpLakotaWarchief to your Proto Unit's name.

This will override the base sound of your units (Instead of speaking Iroquios Kanyenke will now speak Sioux).

If you find you have to do it this way instead of triggers I would suggest just making new units based off of your current list because then you have complete control over what they can and can't do (you could make Kanyenke be a great hunter then, that can actually hunt and gather food from huntables).

Hope this helps.

.:: Experienced :: [Modder] :: [Scenario Designer] ::.
Currently working on: Western Expansion(1820-1835) Campaign: #2 Defend the fort
Scenarios: The Battle of Lexington and Concord, The Battle of Bunker Hill, Sieging the Fort
posted 02-24-10 08:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
:/

Thanks. Was afraid that might be the case. I was hoping there was a console trigger that allowed me to force Lakota chatter dialogs on units that didn't already have them. Or had proprietary chatter of their own.

At any rate, a mod would probably solve a lot of other problems, such as SPC Great Plains Chief not being able to build trading posts or TCs.

Crunkatog on ESO
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 02-24-10 10:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Yep, a mod would allow that. You could even make him gather from farms or fish if you want.

Modding opens up an almost infinite amount of options. You can make almost anything sit up and beg if you get my meaning :P

If you choose to add mods and need help feel free to e-mail me.

Scenarios: The Battle of Lexington and Concord, The Battle of Bunker Hill, Sieging the Fort
posted 02-24-10 10:37 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
No point, the only reason I play any more is social, and who wants to play a mod with only one civ?

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 02-24-10 10:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
I know what you mean. I prefer designing Scenarios and building unique units to fit their historical time period though over the ESO. Just never got the knack for ESO.

But that's getting off-topic.

When I get some time I'll look into the triggers and see if I can find anything for changing the sounds.

Perhaps you could rename a Sioux Infantry and modify their ProtoUnit using the respective triggers? Or could you change the civ to being Iroquois instead without messing up the story?

posted 02-25-10 10:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
Perhaps you could rename a Sioux Infantry and modify their ProtoUnit using the respective triggers?
Someone else suggested I just give each player a starting regular unit: a cetan, a club, etc. and beef each one up so they feel more "special". This wouldn't work for two reasons. They would die permanently, meaning that player would lose the game if his hero became seriously wounded (and there's plenty of times when someone must stop and heal up first).
Secondly, later on, players do establish a town and build a few units. If all cetans and clubs are modified to be buff supermen, it spoils the game.
Or could you change the civ to being Iroquois instead without messing up the story?
Pretty much out of the question, at this point. I made the map based on Yankton historian Ella Deloria's account, gathered from the oral histories and traditions of many different tribes. They all seem to agree that the present-day Sioux migrated all the way from South Carolina coast across the Appalachians and up the Mississippi to a new homeland in southeastern Minnesota.

Migration of peoples isn't that remarkable, many groups were moving around. But the numbers, distance and time it took is what stands out and makes for a good story. In their migration path, which took some 200-300 years, the Sioux may have encountered the builders of the great Mississippi mounds, the Cherokee may have just been heading south into the mountains then, and Aztec and Algonquian traders circulated about.

So it's a unique story, I've made the map for it and set up the objectives and just need to fix this. The characters in the start have to fit the story, and they have to be durable and unique.

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
posted 02-25-10 05:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Seems like you'll have to sacrifice some historical accuracy then.

What year is the story based in?

Maybe the Sioux in that time period spoke a different dialog then they speak in TWC. WarChiefs or Leaders of the tribe in that period may've also spoken a bit different to give unique commands so they could be heard better in battle by their braves. Just a thought.

posted 02-27-10 08:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8  

Actually, two of the side objectives are based on Lakota words or cultural elements, and two NPC allies are also Siouan speakers or branched off the main party, so probably everyone will start with GP Chief.

Problem solved :P

Crunkatog on ESO
Crunkatog on Steam.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Need explorers and some mercs to speak Lakota
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames