Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Crazymoose's Guide de la France
posted 08-21-08 09:08 PM EDT (US)   
CRAZYMOOSE'S GUIDE DE LA FRANCE

Alright, I made this guide for my clan and I thought I'd post it here too so that more people can be helped by it/give me input. This guide isn't done yet but it has the most basic strats and I'll add to it as I get time. I'd really appreciate any suggestions for making it better, since I'm only an average player (1st lieut). This isn't anything new really, it's just a compilation of strats and a guide for new French players. Anyway, onto the guide. Enjoy!

*DISCLAIMER* This is not a guide to make you a really good player as soon as you follow the strategies. Never just blindly follow your build order, you have to know when to change it and adapt to what your enemy does. These will just get you started in your game, it’s up to you to finish it off, though I may give some tips.

French Units
Alright, so I’ll start this off with a quick guide to the main units you will use as French. This isn’t every French unit, but the one’s you will probably use most:

Coureur des Bois – The French settler. Equivalent to 1.25 regular settlers in their ability to gather resources. Useful for fighting off rushes due to their high hp and attack (for a settler), especially when upgrade at the market. [Cost: 120f]

Crossbowman – This is your basic colonial ranged infantry. 90% of your rushes will probably involve at least some of them. They’re easy to micro and are decent to good against everything but cavalry and they don’t have great siege. Becomes pretty much obsolete in age 3 when skirmishers become available. [Cost: 40f, 40w]

Musketeer – Good all around age 2 ranged unit that is not killed by cav, but will be killed by ranged infantry. Very handy in age 2, especially with hussars. [Cost: 75f, 25c]

Pikeman – Good backup unit to crossbowmen in colonial. They kill the cavalry that’ll own any unprotected x-bows that you may have. They also have a much higher siege than x-bows so they’re good for taking out buildings. Weak against any ranged attack though. Becomes pretty much obsolete in age 3 when dragoons become available [Cost: 40f, 40w]

Hussar – Age 2 cavalry. They own ranged infantry but get owned by pikes. Also useful for raiding unprotected villagers. [Cost: 120f, 80c]

Skirmisher – Important age 3 unit. They beat halbs, muskets, dragoons, pikes, etc, extremely well, especially with hit and run. Like x-bows they are beaten by cavalry and are not great against buildings. [Cost: 50f, 65c]

Cuirassier – A better, more expensive, and 3 pop version of the hussar. These guys will cut down strelets like blades of grass due to their area damage. The beat cannons as well, and they will beat most other types of cav in a population-fair fight. Splash damage makes them nice for raiding too. Just stay away from anti-cav like halbs and goons. [Cost: 150f, 150c]

Dragoon – Dragoons are usually the preferred French anti-cavalry because the French don’t have any halb shipments, and they have cav cards that upgrade both cuirs and goons. Also goons are easier to micro than halbs. [Cost: 90f, 90c]

Falconet - While you aren't likely to build a lot of these except for in longer games, the 2 falc shipment is a very important part of any FF. Cannons are one huge thing that separates age 2 from age 3. Cannons with a little back-up will decimate an age 2 army, especially if it is all infantry. They make up for your lack of heavy seige as well.

Strategy Guides

DUAL RAX X-BOW/PIKE RUSH
This is a good solid rush with mostly x-bows and then pikes to take out cav and buildings. (btw, when I say deck skeleton, that means you should fill it in with personal preference cards)

Deck Skeleton:
Age 1: [3 cdb] [economic theory]
Age 2: [4 cdb] [700f] [700w] [700c] [8 x-bows] [3 hus] [Infantry HP] [Infantry training]
Age 3: [1000w] [8 skirms] [3 cuirs] [5 goons] [2 falcs] [refrigeration] [royal mint]
Age 4: [factory] [factory]

Build Order

Age 1:
-Standard 14 cdb age-up (gather crates que up a cdb ASAP, build a house, all cdb on food, ship 3, age-up with 14 cdb. Age with 13 if more speed is needed)
-Age using the quartermaster (400w)

Transition:
-5 cdb go on wood, 2-3 of them at a forward location.
-If you don’t have at least 50c, take 1 or 2 food cdb and put them on coin until you get 50, then move them back to food.
-Once you have 100w, build a market and research first food and wood techs once you have the resources.
-Que up a couple cdb.
-Get another house up if you can.

Age 2:
-Ship 700w. Use this to build a couple houses. It’ll also supply enough wood for some x-bows/pikes.
-Gather the 400w and build 2 barracks w/ your forward cdb.
-Put new cdb on wood
-Once barracks are up, train 5 x-bows in each. Then train 5 pikes. You want mostly x-bows but you always want some pikes in case he gets cav or if you need to take down some buildings quickly.
-2nd age 2 ship is 8 x-bows or 3 hussar.
-Start harassing your opponent with your 10 x-bows. Attack when you think you have enough troops, but don’t wait too long.
-If he looks like he’s FFing and you don’t think you can get his TC down, build pikes and take down as many houses as possible. Chances are he’ll hit fort before you take down his TC. If you’ve killed enough houses to stop him from sending shipments, you’re in good shape. Just keep him constantly trapped in his TC and make sure he doesn’t have any vils off to the side collecting resources/building houses. Even if he does fend you off your eco should be quite a bit better than his if you’ve been constantly building vils
-3rd ship is 4 cdb for eco boost and then ship whatever you need. If you’re finding you have a surplus of resources you can ship the creation speed boost.
-If the guy is rushing try and get down his rax, but don’t make mostly pikes. Just keep enough for if he’s building cav off to the side.
-Balance out your cdb so that you can pump out as many x-bows and pikes as possible. If the fighting goes on for a while you may want to research the coin tech, switch some cdb over from wood to coin, and get a stable and start getting hussars. You can also go to age 3 if you think it’s safe.

BASIC FAST FORTRESS
The French have a good solid FF with skirm/goon or skrim/cuir being nasty combos to try and beat.

Deck Skeleton:
Age 1: [3 cdb] [economic theory]
Age 2: [4 cdb] [700f] [700w] [700c] [8 x-bows] [Infantry HP]
Age 3: [1000w] [8 skirms] [3 cuirs] [5 goons] [2 falcs] [fort] [refrigeration] [royal mint]
Age 4: [factory] [factory]

Build Order
Age 1:
-Standard 14 vil age-up
-Age with 500f

Transition:
-9 cdb on wood, build a market and research first food and coin ups
-Once you have that, move all those wood vils to coin
-Que up 3 cdb (Important to do this before you hit age 2 because 4 cdb ship puts your pop at 21/20)

Age 2:
-Ship 4 cdb
-TC waypoint to coin
-Gather food crate with 1 coin cdb and then move him back after
-Shift around cdb if needed to get 1200f and 1000c ASAP
-Age with either skirms or hussars

Transition:
-Put some coin cdb on wood and then have about the same amount on food/coin with maybe a few more on food.
-Research market wood up
(If you know for sure you won’t be attacked soon (like with a turtle or defensive boom) and you want a strong eco, ship economic theory and research the next market ups. You can still follow the next steps, you’ll just be a bit slower. The bonus is you have 30% extra gathering on all resources, not to mention the first market ups.)
-Get a stable and some houses.
-Que up a couple cdb

Age 3:
-Ship a military shipment (usually skirms)
-Start building either goons or cuirs. Goons/skirms is better if you didn’t do the economic version because your eco isn’t usually incredible right when you hit fort and cuirs cost a lot. If you have a good eco then cuir/skirm is better.
-Make sure your wood is being put to good use. Get lots of houses. Also try to get a rax as soon as you have enough houses to support everything you’re building.
-From this point on it’s up to you to decide what shipments you want to send. If you want to boom you should send 1000w which is almost enough to get you 2 TC’s.

Rush Defence
Often you’ll find yourself getting rushed as you try to FF. Usually you should have scouted enough to find a forward base, indicating that he’s rushing. Here’s what you should do:
-You should already have a market when you see that, so once your food and coin ups are done, research the cdb hp and attack techs. Cdb are pretty strong with the market techs and can hold their own vs pretty much everything but cav in age 2. (cause of their range resistance) You’ll probably need more vils on food to make up for researching the techs
-Try to start aging as soon as you possibly can.
Now, how do you hold him off while you age?
-First send a couple cdb away and out of sight so you can build houses if needed.
-Put 10 cdb in your TC, and have the rest fighting off the units. If he starts focus-firing on your cdb, use this tactic: Set all cdb as a control group and garrison them in your TC. As soon as the TC fires a shot, pop the cdb out and make them all shoot at a unit. Hit the bell on the TC and let it fire a shot. Pop them out and make them fire, and do that over and over again.

Basically the key is to fend him off with your vils and then once you age use the units you get + a shipment + minutemen (if you still have them) to beat him off so you can take full advantage of your age. If he stops pressuring you then he’s probably following you to fort. Start harassing him ASAP and attack if you have enough units. Likely he’ll have dropped all military production so it shouldn’t take much.

HUSSAR SEMI-FF
This is a slower version of the FF but you’ll damage your opponent’s economy to make up for it.

Use your FF deck, though it’s nice if you have the 3 hussar card if your FF deck doesn’t.

Build Order

Age 1:
-Standard 14 vil age-up
-Age with 400w

Transition:
-Put about 7 cdb on wood, build a market and research first food and coin ups
-Once you have that, move all those wood vils to coin
-Que some cdb

Age 2:
-First ship is 700c
-Gather the 400w and build a stable and 2 houses.
-Train 5 hussars and start raiding with them
-Train a couple more (3-5). More hussars give you more raiding but it’ll slow you down more, use discretion.
-Ship 4cdb as soon as you have the shipment.
-Get your resources for aging as quickly as you can and age with whatever you think is best.

Transition:
-Research first wood market up
-Put around 6-7 cdb on wood and try to get a rax and some houses up. Split vils on food/wood with slightly more on food.
-Keep raiding the guy as much as possible, build some more hussars if needed.

Age 3:
-Start massing skirms and either goons or cuirs. Again, goons will let you get more and quicker, but cuirs will be stronger. Basically go with what the other guy’s building. I usually go for goons first because you should have most of your hussars left.

PIKE/CDB RUSH
This is a kamikaze strat that can be fun in unrated games. I’ve only done it once or twice but I thought I’d share it anyway.

For the deck copy your rush deck, just make sure you have the vil hp upgrade cards (age 1 one is the most important)

Build Order

Age 1:
-Standard 14 cdb age-up
-Age with 400w

Transition:
-6 cdb on food, 8 on wood
-Get a market up and research the vil hp and attack ups
-Send 2 cdb off to a well hidden location, slightly forward if possible.

Age 2:
-1st ship is 4 cdb
-Gather the 400w and build a rax with the forward vils, build 2 houses at your base.
-Keep building pikes and cdb until you get your 3rd shipment, send the age 1 vil hp card.
-Attack with your cdb and pikes. Use pikes to tear down buildings and coureurs to fight off units.
-Remember that your first punch needs to be big enough to beat him or cripple him cause if it doesn’t, you pretty much lose. You have to find the balance between speed and power.
-For the next ship you can send military or the other vil upgrade card.

MUSKET SEMI-FF

This is mostly a defensive FF. It's good against any rushes that are mostly HI or cav. It'll do ok against soft counters like x-bows if you have coureur back-up, though other strats may be better if you know it's coming. Definitely don't use it vs hard counters like skirms. It will work vs a pure FF much the same as the Hussar semi-FF because you can really harass his vils. It's also nice because you can very easily slow down your aging to build more troops to defend.

Deck

Needed Cards

Use your FF deck, just make sure it has 3 hussars and 8 x-bows

Build Order

Age 1:

-The usual: build 1 house and put all cdb on food
-1st shipment is 3 cdb
-Age with 14 cdb using 400w

Transition:
-Gather so you have 225w
-Build a house and a market
-get 10 cdb on food and 4 on coin

Age 2:
-Ship 4 cdb, put 2 on food and 2 on coin
-Use the 400w to build a barracks and a house
-Research market techs for food and coin
-Start building musketeers (keeping cdb production up)
-How many muskets you build depends on what your opponent does. If he FF's, just build 10 and go harass his vils with them. If he rushes, build 15 and defend.
Micro Tip: upgraded cdb will do far better against ranged infantry than muskets will.
-2nd ship is 700 of either food or coin to get to fortress fast or to help you finish building muskets; 8 crossbowmen or 3 hussars if you really need the extra troops
-Right after you get your muskets, re-arrange your cdb so that you can age as quickly as possible
-Age using 6 skirmishers or 4 hussars

Transition:
-Switch around 6-7 cdb to wood and then split the rest mostly evenly between food and coin
-Research the market wood up
-Try to get a stable up and as many houses as you can

Age 3:
-Ship either skirms, cuirs, or goons, depending on what his army is. Usually you'll use skirms.
-Start pumping either skirm/goon or skirm/cuir out of your stable and rax.
-Basically follow through like you would with any other FF

NATIVE RUSH
This one is obviously map dependent. Do this on maps that have good natives. This one also changes a lot because with different natives you'll need to gather different resources and build different units.

Deck Skeleton
Age 1: [3 cdb] [eco theory]
Age 2: [4 cdb] [700 cards] [ranged inf hp] [8 x-bows][native hp/att] [cdb, native, skirm hp] [cav hp or att]
Age 3: Same as rush deck but w/ native boost
Age 4: Same as rush deck

Build Order
Age 1:
-Standard 14 cdb age-up with 400w

Transition:
-Put 9 cdb on wood and get enough to build a tp. Get your explorer to build one at the best native village
-Balance your cdb to build that native + an age 2 unit. Here it's up to you to pick the best unit combo based on your native.
-Try and get up a market and research based on what res you'll need (this will carry on into age 2)
-Que a couple cdb

Age 2:
-Start building natives
-Ship either one of the resource crates (based on the unit you're building) or 8-xbows if you plan to attack right away.
-Gather 400w and build either a rax or a stable (based on your unit combo choice) and 2 houses.
-Start harassing as soon as you can and then go for an all-out attack once you have enough troops.
-2nd ship is either res or 8 x-bows, whichever you didn't send
-3rd ship is 4 cdb
-After that just keep spamming your combo and watch out for a church. A smart player will build spies to counter your native so make sure your other units focus on any spies.

For an interesting twist to this strat you can send early skirms and build skirms with your native. Then you can use the card that boosts both skirms and native hp. Only do this against civs that are likely to spam HI.

HUSSAR/MUSKET RUSH
A nice alternative to the x-bow/pike rush. Muskets are a more all-round unit that's a lot stronger than the pikeman while still having decent siege. Hussars will beat ranged infantry and can raid as well.

Deck
Basically use your rush deck, but try and get the 2 cav combat cards in there. Switch out whatever you use least.

Build Order

Age 1:
-Standard 14 cdb age-up with 400w

Transition:
-Leave 9 cdb on food, put rest on wood (2 forward) until you have a market.
-Research first market up and make sure you have 80c left over.
-Try and get a house up. Once that's done, put 2 wood vils on food.
-Que up a couple cdb, gather point on coin.

Age 2:
-Ship 700c ASAP
-Collect 400w and build a stable then a rax with fwd cdb.
-As soon as your stable is up, que up 1 hussar. Your coin crates should come in soon enough to make it 5. Harass and raid with these
-Start queing up muskets once your rax is built.
-3rd ship is 8 x-bows or 3 hussars
-Balance your cdb depending on whether you're focusing on cav or muskets. Make sure you're not having a surplus of coin. This strat requires a lot more food than coin especially if you're focusing on muskets.
-4th ship is 4 cdb

Well, those are all the strats for now. More to come soon as long as I have time to do it.

Coming Soon (hopefully):
-X-bow semi FF
-Gren FF
-FI (If I can ever figure out how to do it effectively...)
-Actual screenshots of the decks
-More unit pictures

[This message has been edited by SoC_crazymoose (edited 08-25-2008 @ 01:51 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-21-08 10:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
x-bows, or equivalent until you can get to fortress. Basically just don't use it against ranged infantry like skirms or equivalent
Contradiction!
[size=150]Dual Rax X-Bow/Pike Rush[/size]
Fail at BBCode
Musketeer – Good all around age 2 ranged unit that is not killed by cav, but will be killed by ranged infantry. Not usually used by French but still can be useful in age 2.
Muskets are used a lot by France, especially against a civ like Sioux.

Looking good, Moose!

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan

[This message has been edited by LordKivlov (edited 08-21-2008 @ 10:20 PM).]

posted 08-21-08 10:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
haha, failure at BB code was cause I copied it over from my clan forum and the size things don't work here. I thought I got them all...

And I'll clarify the contradiction with x-bows, part of it was me not thinking and part of it was not being clear.

Edit: ok, I changed the musket thing too, I think that was just me being tired (I wrote most of this on the road home from being on vacation)

[This message has been edited by SoC_crazymoose (edited 08-21-2008 @ 10:49 PM).]

posted 08-21-08 10:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
Very good guide, it covers most of french's strategies. You might want to make a vanilla deck skeleton though.
posted 08-21-08 11:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
@ arcane

just take out econ theory

The only one I think that is special for TWC and TAD

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 08-21-08 11:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
Ya, as far as I know, other than economic theory, the decks are vanilla friendly.
posted 08-22-08 12:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
good job... it shows most of the usual french strats.
posted 08-22-08 04:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
ok, I added native rush. This one's still in the tentative stage cause all the games I've played with it I've been too focused on making the BO so my micro fails and I'm way to slow with it.
posted 08-22-08 06:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
This is a very good guide i must admit.
However, you really should post the BO to an xbow semi ff, as this i probably the best strat a french can do.
Apart from that, well done.
posted 08-22-08 06:54 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Great guide to new french players!

I didn't read it all cause I don't know much about French, but it looks excellent! Great work!

*Y*
posted 08-22-08 07:26 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
awsome thing here, sticky material i say

ESO: P o l a r s u n
Proud Officer of Royal Empires League United.
posted 08-22-08 11:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
Nice guide, now I can play and defeat France. I always wondered how they could get so many hussars...

The pictures are a nice touch.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 08-22-08 11:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
awsome thing here, sticky material i say
+1
posted 08-22-08 11:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Strat's don't get stickied. There have been far more in depth guides written for a civ that haven't been written.

Proud Citizen of Sovietcanuckistan
posted 08-23-08 00:16 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
He means putting it in the AoE3 Guide/Strategy Reference.
posted 08-23-08 01:40 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
@loessli
x-bow semi-ff is probably coming next. I've started having a lot better success with the native rush now that I'm not so focused on the BO that my micro is terrible. I'm gonna start on that one very soon, then probably the hussar musket rush.

@sticky, idc if it's stickied or not. A spot on the strat page would be nice though...
posted 08-23-08 02:18 AM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
no single strategy is stickied, i just add it to the strategy section i'll get to this one i na bit

Proud winner of the FFA Winter Round '07!
[Judgε][Epic Thread]
My Vods:[One] [Two][Three][Four]
"with all the bling on a mandsabar you could win the game by paying the enemy to resign." IL
posted 08-23-08 02:31 AM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
I've always wondered, what DOES eco theory do?
posted 08-23-08 03:16 AM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
10% boost to all vil gathering. I believe it affects fishing boats as well but I'm not sure on that.
posted 08-23-08 05:24 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
Economic Theory: All Settlers + Fishing Boats Gather Faster
posted 08-23-08 09:33 AM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
It's obvious they mean in the sticky and I haven't played France in week or 2 but I play them

@Thread starter: Nice thread
posted 08-25-08 01:52 AM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
Musket/Hussar Rush added.
posted 08-25-08 03:00 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
About the pikemen:
Becomes pretty much obsolete in age 3 when dragoons become available
I think that's the only part of the guide I'm bothered with. It may be my own style, but pikes are essential in early fortress for cheap sieging / meatshield. I agree with dragoons being a good choice, but they don't replace pikes.

Overall, as a French player myself, great job -- you covered pretty much everything!

A n e c d o t a l S N A K E
posted 08-25-08 09:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
This is really good....Très bien.

The French are my fav civ so its nice to see some strats up.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Crazymoose's Guide de la France
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames