Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to Deccan
posted 10-22-08 06:40 AM EDT (US)   
A Guide to Deccan

Well I've been playing Deccan a lot recently and I've come to know the map like the back of my hand (Which, come to think of it, isn't that good). So I've decided to write a quick guide to help you get to know the map.

Game Description:

Players start on opposite sides of a central plateau that contains thick forests and abundant wildlife. Resources are plentiful, as Mines, small herds, and sparse forests ring the surrounding lowlands. Trade sites are situated at the edge of the map, while natives inhabit the plateau. The plateau is not present in free-for-all games.

Basic Layout

1v1:

Team:

FFA:

Trade Route:

In 1v1 there will be 5 trading post sites (2 on one side and 3 on the other). In 2v2 and FFA there are 3 on each side.

Natives

There will be 2 different Native settlements in the middle plateau (Or at the ends in FFA). The 2 Settlements will be a random pick from Sufi, Udasi and Bhakti. Check out the Minor Natives Guide by Peachrock, StR_VipeR and DAMNIT for more info.

Crates:

On Deccan you will start with additional resource crates. You will get your normal crates plus an extra 300 Food, 200 Wood and 200 Coin

Common Treasures:

50 Wood
Guardians: 1xLion

90 Wood
Guardians: 2xTiger

30 Food
Guardians: 1xLion

20 Coin
Guardians: N/A

5 Population
Guardians: 3xTiger

Show All Mines
Guardians: 2xMonkey

1 Tiger Pet
Guardians: 2xRhino

65 Coin
Guardians: 4xMonkey

100 Food
Guardians: 2xLion

The less defended treasure (Mainly the ones listed above) are located around the circumference of the map and near the towns. The big ones are usually in the middle of the plateau. If you're lucky you will get a big one near your town so you can use your Town Center to help get it.

Resources:

Food:
Near your town you will get a herd of hunts, 2 Elephants, Berries and 2 Buffalo.
The hunts don't all run when you attack them so you don't need to herd on this map.
Other herds and berries are scattered around the map. There will also be pairs of Buffalo up for grabs.

Coin:
The coin mines are scattered almost evenly throughout the entire map. There are 2 near each town, 2-3 in the Plateau and a few near the trade routes.

Wood:
The trees on Deccan tend to be in clumps of 3-5 rather than in large forests on other maps. There are clusters of trees around the entire map.

Game play Options:

The extra crates enable you to do a lot more in the opening minutes. With most civs you can either choose to build a market and get an early hunting dogs, as well as placer mines and fume. If you're playing as the natives the extra gold allows you to research that expensive lumber ceremony. The other option is to build a trade post. This gives you an early XP boost so you can get some more shipments early. If you are the British you can use the extra wood to get another house or two. As the French you can ally with the Natives and do a pretty effective native rush (Tiger claws are excellent for this strategy). FF's also work well because of the better start. Walling off the central plateau is a good option because it costs little wood and means you can only be attacked from 2 sides. By strategically placing houses, the market and small wall segments in conjunction with the clutter of Berries and Trees, you can really mess with the enemies path finding. Whichever option you choose really depends on your civ and overall strategy.

Note:

Deccan is included in both the Standard Map and Asian Map rotation.

ESO NAME: UGMO
I AM USING: TAD
I AM PLAYING: The Aztecs, British and Russians
.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_UGMO (edited 10-23-2008 @ 05:21 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-22-08 07:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Nice descriptions and screenshots. Incredibly useful if I ever play on Deccan!
posted 10-22-08 08:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Great guide Colonel

"Rot's given a free pass simply because he's Rot." - theferret
posted 10-23-08 05:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Great work!

I don't really like Deccan this much..

Also, is this going to go on "Special Name"?
posted 10-23-08 05:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Thanks for the compliments guys
What did poor innocent Deccan ever do to you?
Also, is this going to go on "Special Name"?
Probably
Incredibly useful if I ever play on Deccan!
Well I do see people hosting it quite a bit atm. It's not as popular as Great Plains, but I would say it's one of the top Asian maps

.oO James246: Well, you wouldn't be able to sigg any dumb things I say, because I don't say them. :P Oo.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_UGMO (edited 10-23-2008 @ 05:22 AM).]

posted 10-23-08 06:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
What did poor innocent Deccan ever do to you?
It never did anything. It's just one of those things that I don't like. No idea why.
posted 10-23-08 06:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Well, I gotta say I learned where the heradbles are now. That could really save you if you're quick and swoop them up - 8 free water bison! I love it.
posted 10-23-08 03:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
i dont really get why great plains is so great?? can someone tell me why? i personally hate it and their natives are "yuck", the herds are usually too far away, which calls for map control, meaning if u dont go map control, u dead (except dutch and japs).
posted 10-23-08 05:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Great Plains is just incredibly standard. There's no tricks or sunrises from water, and the treasures are fairly level. People start at places that are basically the same, and the map doesn't give one person an advantage. It offers a fair game.
posted 10-23-08 09:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
gp is the map for real men (or those who like playing ottos/india lol)

James you probs dont like deccan because, well at least in my experiance, all the india players like to lame other people into the ground on this map.

..................Oh yh and another thing i love about gp is the fact you get decent herds which you can actually shoot back to your base with out killing half the animals. (Cholesterol you need to do this ) None of that sparce herd crap you get in asian maps.

awesome guide tho dude, back on the subject!

Ultimitsu : james, can you please understand the counter system first before making comments on the "what counters what" subject?

Lordkivlov : Do you just like to see your own posts? Because 90% of them are pretty much useless.

"Generall every civilisation has it easy time with British." - James246
ESO: retribution1423

[This message has been edited by adamh43524 (edited 10-23-2008 @ 09:31 PM).]

posted 10-24-08 02:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
GP is my favourite map by far

Andes come's close.
posted 10-24-08 07:31 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
I don't like Buffalo much, I find the never run the way I want them to and I will have them next to my TC one minute and in the middle of the map the next.

posted 10-24-08 10:15 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
I find the Buffalo run a long way.... But, I <3 them
posted 10-25-08 09:23 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Easy to herd bison on GP because there's so much. OR if you're bad at micro just put a TC in the middle for map control.

Colonel UGMO will you be doing any more maps?
It would be nice to have a guide of all the standard maps like this one.
posted 10-25-08 09:54 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
I probably could do all of them. But I should leave some maps for other people who want a 'Special Name' to do. I was thinking of doing Plymouth next which isn't a standard map though.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_UGMO (edited 10-25-2008 @ 09:55 PM).]

posted 10-25-08 11:48 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
UGMO, how'd you go about finding all the common treaures on the map?
posted 10-26-08 00:32 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
By playing Deccan hundreds of time

posted 10-26-08 01:23 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
What civs would you think are the best on deccan?

- i would imagine the russians could do an excellent fast rush

Lets here what you all think.
posted 10-26-08 01:35 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
ottos and dutch. They can age up almost immediatly. Slso natives, who can afford to use the fast age up poli and still have some decent res for a rush.

Need a quick way to get laid? Chaplain gives you results.
"Screw me if I'm wrong, but haven't we met?"
"Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that name tag was in Braille."
"If I were you, I would have sex with me."
3 reasons I am the sexxyest forumer: Raiding Cav... - China Merc... - Aztecian coloni... <-- howzat?
posted 10-26-08 04:04 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Ottos and India can shave like a minute or more off their rush. I've done some pretty good Native Rushes with the French before. Tiger Claws are pretty handy. Asian Civs can put a consulate up with the extra wood.

posted 11-01-08 08:40 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
use china use vils and explorer to get 100 wood build 3 villages ship 4 vils in age 1. simple

ESO Name: Dabottle
Clan: TSR (The Soul Reapers)
Civs: Britain, China, France and Sioux
Check out my-->Guide to China (Will update soon)
ROFL
posted 11-01-08 08:41 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
maps that someone could do: mongolia and siberia

ESO Name: Dabottle
Clan: TSR (The Soul Reapers)
Civs: Britain, China, France and Sioux
Check out my-->Guide to China (Will update soon)
ROFL
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » A guide to Deccan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames