Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Suggestion for a forum game
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 01-15-14 05:10 AM CT (US)   
You know, I really liked playing games on AOKH which were harder than say a word (or three) I loved that zombie invasion role-playing game, all the mafias, and what not. Now I have a lot of free time on my hands everyday with no new game as of late, so I'm willing to host a map game.

So, is anyone willing to play a map game like the one we had? If you don't know what I am talking about, take a look at this thread. Now I know that I am inexperienced and you may not want to play the game with me as host, but you know what, I'm 15 and I think I got the hang of it (although too late in the last game) and I think I can do this.

Basically, in a map game, you assume command of one nation, and issue orders via bolded text. Now all these orders will have to be within reason. So no saying that, 'I recruit 10 billion martians in my army' You can decide by yourself to invade a country, initiate talks, or do all kinds of ridiculous shit. You can do this with all nations, living or computer-controlled. I will answer on behalf of computer controlled-nations. If you engage in a conflict, I will decide on the outcome, either by my own fair and sound judgement (lol ) or by just simple logic. (again, open to debate) I assure, I will fully research all topics, relationships between nations including in-game events, about characters, etc. before I take any decision. I'll also keep it lively. (Popey knows how. ) But trust me, it'll be fun. I got endless hours of fun out of map games, and I think I'll be able to have that once again.

So, would anybody be interested in playing such a game? We can decide on the timeline and all my decisions will be open to review by majority. My email's at mayankshrm991@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 01-15-2014 @ 05:25 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-15-14 08:40 AM CT (US)     1 / 67  
Honestly, adjudicating what is fair and what is ridiculous makes this kind of thing pretty infeasible. Scud was right, play Crusader Kings instead.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 01-15-14 09:17 AM CT (US)     2 / 67  
I have to agree with Popey on this one. In addition to his point, the Map Game moves too slowly or too quickly (depending on the player) and the mods always come under fire despite their best efforts to be fair, realistic, or keep it enjoyable and fast paced.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 01-16-14 12:18 PM CT (US)     3 / 67  
I tried hosting a mafia game a while ago, but there was not enough interest to fill it in. I still have all my documentation on it, so if you want I can re-open the sign-ups.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 01-16-2014 @ 12:18 PM).]

posted 01-16-14 07:38 PM CT (US)     4 / 67  
I'd love to play a forum game where players could stop for a long time, and the game would keep running. Then they could pop back in and play whenever they want. I have some ideas about that but I don't think anyone would be interested.

Jesus HATES you.

I was once a normal Titan but then I decided to be King.
I have 2500 in the fastest splash splash ever. Suck it
posted 01-17-14 04:07 AM CT (US)     5 / 67  
I find people rather discouraging here. But me, I love map games, since Taichud hosted the 1st one here. I admit I prefer playing than hosting, because it's too time-consuming, but if you do think you can host it Mayank, then I'd love to play. You have more freedom of time when you play rather than you host, but anyway, a single post per day and per player should be enough to make the game move on without wasting everyone's times.

Can you just tell us the period you'll use?

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS
Still looking for DANISH, UKRAINIAN, LITHUANIAN and HUNGARIAN voices.
posted 01-17-14 06:43 AM CT (US)     6 / 67  
I'd play a forum game like the one you mentioned Jetkill.

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ )¬,|¯ (¬ /-\ |\| |/¬ |\| | (¬ |-| --|--
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀ You're gonna eat lightnin'and you're gonna crap thunder. - Mickey Goldmill from Rockey II
posted 01-17-14 07:21 AM CT (US)     7 / 67  
Can be anything. I can manage at least two hours for this every day even on exam days. Would it be enough? can you advertise a bit in the other sections of this forum to see if anyone is interested? I'm sure some in the GS&D forum like to play such a game.

We can decide on time period, anything pre-modern will do.
I have to agree with Popey on this one. In addition to his point, the Map Game moves too slowly or too quickly (depending on the player) and the mods always come under fire despite their best efforts to be fair, realistic, or keep it enjoyable and fast paced.
Yeah but we can certainly try, can't we? Despite all the differences, the real reason we gave up the last game was due to the dungeonists' inactivity. I'm sure I will be completely active for a good few months at least, and my summer holidays start much sooner than everyone else's.

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 01-17-2014 @ 07:27 AM).]

posted 01-17-14 10:40 AM CT (US)     8 / 67  
I'm definitely in as long as Steve's in. And I'm encouraged by your optimism. I'll play- perhaps we could start in 843AD (Treaty of Verdun) or 955AD (just after the Lechfeld)?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 01-17-14 10:51 AM CT (US)     9 / 67  
Hmm. If you have a decently accurate map of the Milky Way, I might be interested.

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 01-17-14 12:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 67  
I'll play. I would advocate any historical time period where there were several major factions struggling for dominance, with a possibility of glory for all of them. I'm not saying there should be victory conditions, but establishing fair interaction between regional superpowers and minor countries is certainly tiresome.

I must say I am rather pleased that my experimental Earth 1914 map game has successfully established this forum game type in the community, as was intended.

posted 01-18-14 01:33 AM CT (US)     11 / 67  
Moff, can you try to play this? This is one place where you can be actually considered serious. I'd love if we can get as many people as we can. And it's fun to play!

Can we decide on a starting date? Somewhere in an important year? 1066?

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 01-18-2014 @ 01:43 AM).]

posted 01-18-14 01:34 AM CT (US)     12 / 67  
I'll play if it's kept serious.
posted 01-18-14 01:43 AM CT (US)     13 / 67  
You know how serious I am!
posted 01-18-14 03:04 AM CT (US)     14 / 67  
Good to see more and more players are coming!

I've nothing against playing again during the Middle Ages, but since Europe is ALWAYS used in that kind of game, why not playing this time in Asia? There are a lot of interesting countries, even in the Middle Ages. That's a suggestion, of course, depends if the other want...

"Vous vous rendez compte, la France est le seul pays au monde où l'on recycle toujours les mêmes hommes politiques, même lorsqu'ils ont échoué !" Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 01-18-14 03:08 AM CT (US)     15 / 67  
I wouldn't mind doing an 1815 Post-Congress of Vienna Europe game.
posted 01-18-14 05:55 AM CT (US)     16 / 67  
ve nothing against playing again during the Middle Ages, but since Europe is ALWAYS used in that kind of game, why not playing this time in Asia? There are a lot of interesting countries, even in the Middle Ages. That's a suggestion, of course, depends if the other want...
I find Asian history to be more interesting but it is much harder to use in a map game because frankly, most people here are Westerners. A lot of difficulties arise.
I wouldn't mind doing an 1815 Post-Congress of Vienna Europe game.
I would love to do this.

posted 01-18-14 06:40 AM CT (US)     17 / 67  
Well I'm Asian too so I can handle an Asian map game as well. If I can be given pointers as to how to decide battles in gun warfare (because they are mostly similarly equipped) I can see that as well. Just you know, reach for a consensus.
posted 01-18-14 07:41 AM CT (US)     18 / 67  
I'm up for one that takes place in Asia too. I'd personally prefer any time pre-1648, but if the majority of other players want something modern, I'll roll with it.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-18-14 08:48 AM CT (US)     19 / 67  
If we go for Asia, then yes, a period between 1000 and 1700 or something like that would be good. After all, Asian Middle ages lasted longer than European ones. And IMO, no matter if we're mostly from Europe and America, most of you in the last game played a country you didn't quite know the history, so playing an Asian nation won't change many things, at least, I don't think it's that problematic in that kind of game ; diplomacy, military recruitment and tactics in Asia aren't that hard to understand for us, I think...

If we go for Europe, no problem for the post-Napoleonic era, although it's a bit less interesting than from 1830 and so forth. But I'd go with that anyway

AGE OF VOIVODS
posted 01-18-14 09:01 AM CT (US)     20 / 67  
I wish you all luck with this endeavor. What about Feudal Japan as a setting, starting with the fall of the Ashikaga Shogunate? Perhaps ending with the Meiji restoration?

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 01-18-2014 @ 09:02 AM).]

posted 01-18-14 09:12 AM CT (US)     21 / 67  
So far the general consensus:

Pre-1700~ Asia
I wish you all luck with this endeavor. What about Feudal Japan as a setting, starting with the fall of the Ashikaga Shogunate? Perhaps ending with the Meiji restoration?
I don't think playing various obscure Japanese clans is going to interest many people, for all the excitement it may generate for me and possibly you.

posted 01-18-14 09:36 AM CT (US)     22 / 67  
I think Japan should be playable as a whole nation, to make the game easier, but of course, the player who chooses it should face issues of recuitment or something like that because of the clanic wars. Or two factions could be playable on the archipelago: Emperors vs. Shoguns, or Hojo vs. Ashikaga, depending on the period. It would be like Sung vs. Jin in China if we start around before 1350.

AGE OF VOIVODS

[This message has been edited by fr steve (edited 01-18-2014 @ 09:37 AM).]

posted 01-18-14 09:48 AM CT (US)     23 / 67  
I found these maps for 1200 AD and 1500 AD: Can we decide between the two?

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 01-18-2014 @ 09:52 AM).]

posted 01-18-14 10:14 AM CT (US)     24 / 67  
I think Japan should be playable as a whole nation, to make the game easier, but of course, the player who chooses it should face issues of recuitment or something like that because of the clanic wars. Or two factions could be playable on the archipelago: Emperors vs. Shoguns, or Hojo vs. Ashikaga, depending on the period. It would be like Sung vs. Jin in China if we start around before 1350.
I agree with this. If we were to have the setting that Popeychops suggested, from 1600 to 1868, we could have one player representing the Shogunate with direct control over Aizu, the massively militarized loyalist domain in the north, with an opposing player controlling Choshu, the vanguard domain of the revolutionary movement in the 1800s.

I think this was a very chaotic time for Asia as a whole. A Qing Dynasty player could, for example, first conquer China and then try to prevent the historical decline of this great empire. At the same time, a Mughal player could try to consolidate the subcontinent and then go on to further conquests, at the same time defending himself against the colonial forays of the European empires. A Russian player could expand further into Siberia and strike south into Persia, or create a powerful foothold at the Pacific. The possibilities are countless.

posted 01-18-14 10:15 AM CT (US)     25 / 67  
The reason I suggest reducing the sizing is because we just do not have enough sources to balance this game. If one player is Siam and the other is Cambodia, who wins in the war? The player who writes the most eloquent and strategic posts?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Suggestion for a forum game
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames