You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The University

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Windows 7 Toxic Grass Fixes (Approved)
posted 09-22-11 10:37 AM CT (US)   
This article has been approved and can also be read at the University. - Leif Ericson

The windows7/Vista "Toxic grass" fix for Age of conquerors.

Well, if you're reading this you have the problem that pretty much everyone AOC fan has the moment they start up that new computer. Your grass and trees have turned into a plethora of reds, purples, and pinks. The ocean looks like something from Halo has imploded inside it, causing it to take on a rather unwholesome appearance similar to what you experience on the land. Simply put, your colors have inverted and your screen is seizure inducing.

Fortunately this is very easy to fix so you won't have to stick with toxic grass and polluted water forever. It is important to note that the major Programs that allow you to play AOC online,(Voobly, and Gameranger) already have a built in fix; but if you want to watch recorded games or if you want to play a LAN game, you'll have to fix the colors yourself.

Fix one: Ending Explorer.
This is the most basic way to fix the colors in AOC, that requires no downloading or installing of any kind.

The first step is to boot up the game to the main menu. Once the game is up alt tab back to your desktop.

Once you're back at your desktop, you need to Ctrl,alt,Del and bring up your task manager. Once it's up, switch over to processes.

Once there scroll down until you find the process titled "Explorer .exe". Highlight it and then click end process.

All your task bars and icons will disappear leaving nothing but the task manager box up. Alt tab back into your game and enjoy your fixed colors.

Once you're done and you exit the game just go over to applications bar and click the new task box. In the text box, type in explorer and hit enter. Your desktop will come back fully restored.

Fix two: The Lord Basse fix.
This is another easy way to fix the problem. Lord Basse has a Batch file that does the above automatically for you. The only inconvenience with the batch file is that you must boot the game from that file. Installing instructions are included with the download that can be found here.

If you want to make your own batch file, you can also make a batch file of your own with the following lines and place it in the same location as your Age Of Empires 2 executable.

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
age2_x1.exe
Start explorer.exe

As you can see, all it does is end explorer for you and boot it back up when you exit the game.

Fix three: Windows classic mode. Make your own theme.

This is, in my opinion, the best of all the fixes because it allows you to freely alt tab out of the game at any time and do pretty much anything on your computer. It's especially handy if you're watching a recorded game and you want to leave your email, or your Facebook, or your MSN up.

First right click on your desktop and bring up the "personalization screen". Then switch over to "windows classic mode" that I've highlighted in the above screen shot.

Once in windows classic right click again and bring up your screen resolution page. Just leave that window up as in the above screenshot and then boot the game up. Your colors should be fixed.
Note: I've only tested this with Windows7 and it worked on multiple computers. I don't have Vista so I wasn't able to test it out on it. It should work though.

To make this simpler, save windows classic at the top as AOE theme to make it faster to set up. Then all you have to do is bring up the screen resolution page.

So there you have three ways to fix your problem. There are doubtless other fixes but these are the three that I think work the best with as little downloading as possible. I hope you enjoyed the article, thanks for reading.

-Coldviper

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 01-30-2012 @ 03:31 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-22-11 11:21 AM CT (US)     1 / 22  
There's another way, easier way, a permanent way. Watson linked to it on GR before. Can't remember what thread it was though. Was something about making a bat in your aoc registry or something.
posted 09-22-11 11:36 AM CT (US)     2 / 22  
If there is please link it so I can include it in the article. You'll notice under part 2 how I have included some batch file fixes but I was unaware that it was permanent.
posted 09-22-11 02:51 PM CT (US)     3 / 22  
I imagine these would be extremely useful for newer forummers. I definitely never knew that theme one before. Thanks, CV.

As for the registry fix, I reckon this one is what Basse was talking about. It is indeed a permanent fix for Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) and Vista (ditto).

Thanks to Orilus for bringing it to the attention of the late community.

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 09-22-2011 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 09-22-11 03:21 PM CT (US)     4 / 22  
Does he have any more comprehensive instructions for that Watson? I would love to incorporate it, but I need to test it and get some screen shots of installing it for it to really fit in the guide.
posted 09-23-11 00:17 AM CT (US)     5 / 22  
It is already "QFT" as it is, I believe. It's quite simple really:

- Open a notepad
- Copy and paste the registry data
- Save as .reg [importantly, you must select "All files" instead of ".txt" in the "Save as" bar]
- Run the registry entry from outside.

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 09-28-2011 @ 10:43 PM).]

posted 09-23-11 09:41 AM CT (US)     6 / 22  
posted 09-23-11 03:36 PM CT (US)     7 / 22  
Nice guide, Coldviper.

My only comments would be to shortly explain what "toxic grass" is. Not everyone reading the guide might have encountered it. Adding the registry fix solution would be cool as well if you can figure it out yourself.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 09-23-11 04:06 PM CT (US)     8 / 22  
Ok, added stuff into the first paragraph. I can't get the registry fix working for myself. :/ When I have more time to explore it I might be able to get it working.
posted 09-26-11 02:34 PM CT (US)     9 / 22  
Sorry, I can't get the registry fix working. Watson, can you copy/paste into the thread exact what has to be inside the .reg? I have the reg but when I went down the file path in the quoted text but I found I had one of the paths missing and I couldn't find the final AOC destination. Can you help me with that?
posted 09-28-11 10:35 PM CT (US)     10 / 22  
32Bit Vista / Win7:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\aoe2x10cp]
"Name"="age2_x1.exe"
"ID"=hex:EC,33,74,3B
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

64Bit Vista / Win7:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\aoe2x10cp]
"Name"="age2_x1.exe"
"ID"=hex:EC,33,74,3B
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00

Create a new text file called "age2.reg" or something. Important is the file type is .reg

Copy and Paste the code for your OS (32Bit or 64Bit) in that file. Save it.

Few warnings:

- Make sure that you've got your OS right
- Make sure it's saved in .reg (change save as ".txt" to "All files".

[This message has been edited by The Unconvincing Spook (edited 09-28-2011 @ 10:37 PM).]

posted 09-29-11 10:19 AM CT (US)     11 / 22  
Yeah, I did all that to the letter. It's not working. :/
posted 09-29-11 12:09 PM CT (US)     12 / 22  
I suggest you check with the GSD people then.
posted 09-30-11 02:35 AM CT (US)     13 / 22  
I've approved the article, and I'll add it to the University when I can (same with sathcooperation's article). However, I'll give a week or so to see if Coldviper can resolve his problems with the registry fix solution. Also, I think a shortened name would work well.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 09-30-11 10:12 AM CT (US)     14 / 22  
Windows 7 Toxic Grass Fixes.-Is this any better?
posted 09-30-11 04:21 PM CT (US)     15 / 22  
Yes.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 10-10-11 10:16 AM CT (US)     16 / 22  
Nope, register fix is not working for me. I am missing one of the path files that should be there because my drive is partitioned, if people come to the thread they can see the notes Watson left and try it themselves at their own risk.
posted 11-20-11 07:57 PM CT (US)     17 / 22  
Okay. I'll try to get this up reasonably soon. I was waiting to see if you could get the registry fix working.

EDIT:

Queued.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 11-24-2011 @ 04:39 AM).]

posted 12-28-11 10:52 PM CT (US)     18 / 22  
Hey Coldviper, had you tried to use scripter64's fix that Mash newsed recently?

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 01-22-12 02:35 PM CT (US)     19 / 22  
I don't see it anywhere.....
posted 01-22-12 03:39 PM CT (US)     20 / 22  
Link

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 01-23-12 12:15 PM CT (US)     21 / 22  
It hasn't worked for me, but then again, my registry has some abnormal path files inside of it. Once again, people can come to this thread and check it out for themselves, but I've known several people who have messed up their computers through their registry so I don't advise it unless they know what they're doing.
posted 01-30-12 03:29 AM CT (US)     22 / 22  
This article has been added to the University.

´ `  |_\
______|______
 \        /
  `-=<.__.>=-´
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » The University » Windows 7 Toxic Grass Fixes (Approved)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames