Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: For Those Requesting Names Based On Ethnic Origins
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 08-01-07 09:41 PM CT (US)   
Because I think it might be useful:

Link a to site with name-listing database.

http://www.incompetech.com/named/

Romeo's
http://www.20000-names.com/

Babies...
http://www.babyhold.com/

Saint Mungo's
http://behindthename.com/

http://surnames.behindthename.com/

[This message has been edited by pehchaqui (edited 10-05-2007 @ 00:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-02-07 01:36 AM CT (US)     1 / 73  
It's not a very good database, though. For example, it only has about twenty Dutch names, and most of those aren't actually Dutch names. It's like the creator just made up some names he/she thought were Dutch. And it lists Flemish and Dutch separate but 'Celtic' collectively. Inconsistency ftw!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 08-02-07 06:32 AM CT (US)     2 / 73  
posted 08-02-07 01:57 PM CT (US)     3 / 73  
If they sound Dutch to the creator, they probably sound Dutch to everyone else too.

That's a nice one too, Romeo.
posted 08-02-07 05:20 PM CT (US)     4 / 73  
Yes, the assyrian names are quite interesting.

Tribulation Designs
I wish my English was better ...
posted 08-03-07 02:33 PM CT (US)     5 / 73  
If they sound Dutch to the creator, they probably sound Dutch to everyone else too.
Except of the, ooh, 22 million Dutch speakers in the world the vast majority have internet and are very vocal; you may have noticed there are loads on this forum alone. If you're using Dutch 'names' which include Dwight, Minikin and Skyler you're in for a hell of a mocking. You might notice I'm complaining already and no one's even used them yet. No one should use them either, cos they're shite.

The internet is a global world, not a US monopoly.

Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-03-2007 @ 02:35 PM).]

posted 08-03-07 03:09 PM CT (US)     6 / 73  
Meh, screw the dutch.
wait, you're dutch? I meant, let's give them cookies!

Anyway, Tom is a multi-national (:P) name.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 08-03-07 08:08 PM CT (US)     7 / 73  
But who uses the name "Tom"? It's so... normal.
posted 08-04-07 06:13 AM CT (US)     8 / 73  
So? Tom will do for all categories, that's a good thing.

Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 08-04-07 06:41 AM CT (US)     9 / 73  
But who uses the name "Tom"? It's so... normal.
Somebody who doesn't plan to steal the plot from a major fantasy franchise for their scenario mabye?

And I've used the scenario oliver linked to a fair while a go, I found it by accident when I was doing other things, and it is indeed a good site.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scuddles (edited 08-04-2007 @ 06:42 AM).]

posted 08-04-07 06:42 AM CT (US)     10 / 73  
Adam will do fine too.

posted 08-04-07 07:38 AM CT (US)     11 / 73  
I've been using 20000 names for a couple of years. Apparently, now that everyone will be taking the names from there, I'll have to get more creative.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 08-04-07 09:17 AM CT (US)     12 / 73  
I always make mine up.

posted 08-04-07 10:15 AM CT (US)     13 / 73  
I get mine out of medieval municipal archives or history books.

Offt hin hinder.
posted 08-04-07 10:50 AM CT (US)     14 / 73  
Try closing your eyes and type random buttons on your keyboard. Eventually, you'll find a name.
posted 08-04-07 11:37 AM CT (US)     15 / 73  
Or type out the complete works of William Shakespeare!

Offt hin hinder.
posted 08-04-07 12:12 PM CT (US)     16 / 73  
Or type out the complete works of William Shakespeare!
posted 08-04-07 02:47 PM CT (US)     17 / 73  
Faster way is to lock 49 monkeys into a room with 49 typewriters.

posted 08-06-07 01:51 PM CT (US)     18 / 73  
I sometimes switch letters around in a name and come up with completely new names:

Janet

-Netaj - Antej - Etnaj - Jetna - Tanje

and then you could find fun words like "Tanje" is like Tangerine. It's fun for the whole family.

[This message has been edited by pehchaqui (edited 08-06-2007 @ 01:53 PM).]

posted 08-06-07 02:07 PM CT (US)     19 / 73  
I make mine up most of the time. When I was younger, I often used names from various TV series and mixed them together in totally different stories.

Two names I often use is Sahleen and Esmeralda. Two persons that I can get into both scenarios and comics I make. Sometimes they're sisters, but originally Sahleen is the wife of Esmerlada's older brother.
Those names originally come from Aladdin and Sailor Moon, but I use them because I like them.

Oh well, enough with that. The 20 000 names site is good, but the other one... nah, Borr, Lunt, Kolina, Quenby? Hardly normal swedish names. Kaisa is mostly spelled Kajsa, and is the only of the five names that I have ever heard in Swedish.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-07-07 11:46 AM CT (US)     20 / 73  
...from Aladdin and Sailor Moon...
Sailor Moon is still around?

I found another site from an old teacher of mine. It's names for babies, but it's still useable.
http://www.babyhold.com/

[This message has been edited by pehchaqui (edited 08-07-2007 @ 11:53 AM).]

posted 08-07-07 11:56 AM CT (US)     21 / 73  
I have no clue. i was probably 10 years old when i watched it the last time, i.e. soon five years ago.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-07-07 12:13 PM CT (US)     22 / 73  
For names, I use THIS and THIS.

[This message has been edited by Saint Mungo (edited 08-07-2007 @ 12:14 PM).]

posted 08-07-07 07:10 PM CT (US)     23 / 73  
Why were you watching Sailor Moon? Unless you were babysitting your sister and she was watching that, that's kind of understandable.
posted 08-07-07 07:55 PM CT (US)     24 / 73  
For names, I usually take 4-6 random letters, and unscramble them into something legible. I'll do it now.

Vosekl -> Leksov, Vosek, Voesk, Kosev, Sovek.

Then I would use the best one, probably Voesk or Vosek.

me

[This message has been edited by Impeached (edited 08-09-2007 @ 12:59 PM).]

posted 08-08-07 03:57 AM CT (US)     25 / 73  
Why were you watching Sailor Moon? Unless you were babysitting your sister and she was watching that, that's kind of understandable.
I guess I liked it; I dont see any other reason

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-08-07 06:00 PM CT (US)     26 / 73  
@Basse
I understand the show enough to not understand why all of the Sailors were named after planets, and then one of them was named after a moon. Enlighten me Basse.

@Impeached
Cool

I hope everyone realizes I've been using their suggested websites for this thread. I don't see why anyone would mind anyways.

[This message has been edited by pehchaqui (edited 08-08-2007 @ 06:02 PM).]

posted 08-08-07 06:02 PM CT (US)     27 / 73  
That's right. Then where was a demon queen trying to ruin the world or something, and a hero dressed in a costume and a hat. That's pretty much all I remember

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-08-07 06:09 PM CT (US)     28 / 73  
Haha, okay.
I'm not sure if the show was on where you live, but I remember a corny show I watched a lot called PeeWee's Playhouse. I think the producer was sexually perverted.
posted 08-09-07 03:50 AM CT (US)     29 / 73  
No, I have no memory of a series called that.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-09-07 10:00 AM CT (US)     30 / 73  
I remember that show! That's old.

The show host PeeWee Herman had his show and and that stuff. There wasn't anything wrong with him, yet...
Then some day, PeeWee was arrested in a movie theater. He was watching an "adult" movie and was masturbating during the move, causing his arrest. When that court stuff was over, he had to give up his show.
Ever since then, many paroridys of this show have been made. *cough*Family*cough*Guy*cough*

There.
posted 08-09-07 10:14 AM CT (US)     31 / 73  
Oh that's what happened to him.

Well at least the next generation doesn't have to worry about watching him. I hated his voice. I wish I had a link to somewhere with a recording of it so I could frighten fellow forum-ers.

EDIT: Attempting to get back on to topic,
PeeWee could be a name someone could use. Maybe a Viking called PeeWee isn't so manly, but there are stranger things. I wonder if it is a real name and what its origins are.

[This message has been edited by pehchaqui (edited 08-09-2007 @ 10:18 AM).]

posted 08-09-07 10:31 AM CT (US)     32 / 73  
Just don't take advice for names from retarded people. I did that with my file, "Sounds of the Huffies". Listen to what the reviewers have to say:
I thought the name 'Huffies' sounded rather unlike a brutal, murdering army but that's just a personal opinion.
the name Huffies doesn't directly make me think of a brutal tribe of barbarians, more like a new character in Winnie the Pooh.
if it had been your intention to portray the Huffies as brutal murderers you failed entirely in that.
I don't think I'll be using that name for a brutal barbaric tribe name anymore.
posted 08-09-07 11:12 AM CT (US)     33 / 73  
Don't listen to anyone critisizing your names, unless they are repetitive. Some names are definetly not intimidating, but their owners sure are.

posted 08-09-07 11:20 AM CT (US)     34 / 73  
Umm, okay. Can I use the first part of your old name then?
posted 08-09-07 11:22 AM CT (US)     35 / 73  
Depending where.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » For Those Requesting Names Based On Ethnic Origins
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames