Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Greetings and a question
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11-09-08 11:17 AM CT (US)   
My apologies if anyone feels this is off-topic, it's been a while since I was here.

So does anyone here remember me? I must say that when I came back I wasn't expecting so many new faces! I thought that with the advent of AoE3 then this place would really struggle, but thankfully I've been proved wrong.

What have I missed? Are scenarios and campaigns now a great big technical jumble of editted data files and mods now or is there still a place for the old-school designers who like to make do with the (sometimes severe) limitations of the original editor?

D_B

Đąŗķ_ίļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
Replies:
posted 11-09-08 11:29 AM CT (US)     1 / 42  
Welcome back! This is definitely the place for old-skool designers. While mods are growing more popular, I really haven't seen any used in scenarios, besides the ever-popular Renaissance.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 11-09-08 01:08 PM CT (US)     2 / 42  
It is not and I don't think will ever become 'standard' to use a mod in your scenario. It is simply an extra tool for you to utilize if you want.

me
posted 11-09-08 01:14 PM CT (US)     3 / 42  
is there still a place for the old-school designers who like to make do with the (sometimes severe) limitations of the original editor?
There's always a place for everyone who want to lock themselves within the limitations of the original editor.

Welcome back.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."
posted 11-09-08 01:18 PM CT (US)     4 / 42  
Welcome back, d_b.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 11-09-08 01:20 PM CT (US)     5 / 42  
It is not and I don't think will ever become 'standard' to use a mod in your scenario.
I sure as hell hope so.

Morgoth Bauglir/Quaazi - BORINGMETAL HEADTWAT
Huidin's Belief - The Siege (4.4) - 2475 - Birth Of The Uruk-Hai (4.1) (Best Sound of 2008)
Signature currently under construction. If you want to help out and provide me with the resources needed, download from the above links.
posted 11-09-08 01:24 PM CT (US)     6 / 42  
Welcome back, I remember you slightly.

Oh yes, and seeing as you've been away, it's only fair to tell you. The status quo is that I'm the new Ingo van Thiel only, like, much better.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 11-09-08 04:06 PM CT (US)     7 / 42  
Lol. I needed a chuckle!

I already feel welcome back. I tried the Age of Chivalry - Hegemony total conversion earlier and I have to say that I like it very much (although I won't be switching to it anytime soon. It is very exciting, if not a little daunting, to see some on the progress that's been made.

Another stop I made was to 'The Old Man and the Sea'. Excellent work IMO and I look forward to working out how even half of it was done. Anyone who hasn't watched it should do, as it is an excellent and inventive piece of work.

Surge, particularly good to see the Pink Floyd lyrics are still there (and that you are too).

D_B

posted 11-09-08 05:37 PM CT (US)     8 / 42  
I am a very old school designer... I dont even like using map copy! I have no idea who you are, but welcome back!

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
posted 11-09-08 06:06 PM CT (US)     9 / 42  
I dont even like using map copy
No, that's not being old school - that's just giving yourself a foolish handicap which means you're not using the editor provided to it's full potential.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 11-09-08 06:13 PM CT (US)     10 / 42  
Thanks Scud for taking care of that the civilised way.
Surge, particularly good to see the Pink Floyd lyrics are still there (and that you are too).
Heh, no use reinventing the wheel.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 11-09-08 06:43 PM CT (US)     11 / 42  
I am a very old school designer.
To design old school, you have to be old school.

me
posted 11-09-08 06:45 PM CT (US)     12 / 42  
Scud, why is it that any time I point out a specific thing about me that might be different from most people, you seem to look at it and find something wrong with it, and point it out? What does it matter if I dont like using map copy? I can still make maps just as good as if I liked using map copy. The only different thing would be mountains, which btw I do use map copy for.

Impeached: Why do you have to be old? What if I designed before I was at AoKH?

HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
posted 11-09-08 06:55 PM CT (US)     13 / 42  
Scud, why is it that any time I point out a specific thing about me that might be different from most people, you seem to look at it and find something wrong with it, and point it out?
This is the first time I have pointed anything out (well the 'other' occasions might be when you have deralied the CSC with going off-topic, which you have managed yet again here). There is nothing malicious in what I said, you seem to be confusing what other people said and blaming what they have said on me and me alone.

The 'problem' I had with your post (if you really think there is one) is you think that not using map-copy makes you "old school" when it's not, for like I said, it's just limiting yourself unnecessarily.

And last time I checked, handicapping yourself due to personal preference doesn't constitute as 'old school'.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 11-09-2008 @ 06:56 PM).]

posted 11-09-08 07:27 PM CT (US)     14 / 42  
Impeached: Why do you have to be old? What if I designed before I was at AoKH?
You didn't, though. At least not seriously...You called yourself a noob when you first joined.

me
posted 11-09-08 07:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 42  
And last time I checked, handicapping yourself due to personal preference doesn't constitute as 'old school'.
I didnt say I was "constituting" that fact for being old school. Like dark_blade said in the topic post,
Are scenarios and campaigns now a great big technical jumble of editted data files and mods now or is there still a place for the old-school designers who like to make do with the (sometimes severe) limitations of the original editor?
I prefer the regular editor, no mods, and no editted data files. The limitations of the original editor are fine with me, and that is why I classify myself, in this case, as and old school designer. Notice what I underlined in the quote above.

EDIT: @Impeached: Well, even though I was no good at designing, I still did. I didnt use any fancy equipment or program, and no mods either. The reason I called myself a noob was because imo, I was one. I expected way too high for myself(and if Surge's reading this, Im not trying to get people to pity me. ).

[This message has been edited by Hunnic Paladin (edited 11-09-2008 @ 07:50 PM).]

posted 11-09-08 08:15 PM CT (US)     16 / 42  
'Old school' is not the correct term that defines you. Ingo, BJ, Surge, Mark Stoker are those who belong to the old-school party. Maybe something like... 'Old-fashioned', is the term you're looking for. It's not a bad thing, though.

Map-copying is definitely not in the same line as modding, it's stil within the editor's boundaries. If you choose not to do it, then you're handicapping yourself. You have a powerful weapon that you could use, yet you choose to use your bare fists.

Please do not feel harassed in any way, we're telling you this as fellow designers. As I pointed out before, you're a nice guy, but you still have more things to learn. So do all of us. We give advice to each other, mutually.

-•|•- StormWind Studios -•|•- Blacksmith Files -•|•- Fabula Fatalis -•|•-

"No more gold lights for the queen earth to keep you warm in your kingdoms,
high on the waves you make for us, but not since you left have the waves come."

[This message has been edited by Indonesian Knight (edited 11-09-2008 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 11-09-08 08:43 PM CT (US)     17 / 42  
Hmm, I recall reading some posts by you in archives, and that's about it.
Are scenarios and campaigns now a great big technical jumble of editted data files and mods now or is there still a place for the old-school designers who like to make do with the (sometimes severe) limitations of the original editor?
There's a separation of people who refuse to use any form of modification and those who embrace it, and that separation has been clarified over time and will probably continue. I would most likely fall somewhere in the middle.

You'd be welcome in either section.

Welcome back.

@ HP: You're about as old school as me.

@ Other people: Don't dwell over such a subtle comment.

[This message has been edited by Turtov (edited 11-09-2008 @ 08:44 PM).]

posted 11-09-08 08:54 PM CT (US)     18 / 42  
Yes, old-fashioned is probably a better word. I didnt realize D_B was talking about people that have actually been at AoKH for a while and are 'old-fashioned' as well. Sorry D_B for turning your thread into my argument's home.

[This message has been edited by Hunnic Paladin (edited 11-09-2008 @ 08:55 PM).]

posted 11-10-08 02:10 AM CT (US)     19 / 42  
I don't mind at all. I'm actually glad to see that there's still enough passion here for a (sensible) debate.

D_B

posted 11-10-08 10:59 AM CT (US)     20 / 42  
That was a sensible debate?

posted 11-10-08 01:33 PM CT (US)     21 / 42  
Lol. What I meant was a debate without shouting, swearing, personal insults etc.

D_B

posted 11-10-08 02:01 PM CT (US)     22 / 42  
I remember you, were you not working with Dark Reign on something a while back?

And no mods are required to get this noob forum to like you and your projects. In fact they will like you better without them.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 11-10-08 02:30 PM CT (US)     23 / 42  
Lol, yeah I was working with D_R a while back. We had loads of stuff on the go. Then before that was Berserker Jerker and watchwood. Good times, good times........

Still, to the future. Has anyone yet solved the problem of how to transfer things between scenarios, e.g resources, units, unit levels of attack etc?

D_B

posted 11-10-08 02:34 PM CT (US)     24 / 42  
You can do it in a way, but it's amazingly tedious. I'm pretty sure this was known when you were last around, as it's nothing special, but I'll repeat it anyway.

Measure player resources etc at the end of the scenario. Based on what they have, give them a taunt to remember. The next scenario needs a taunt to start, and depending on which taunt is used, the player gets stuff they had in the previous scenario back.

Oh, and on the debate issue. I'm so old-school I don't even use the editor. So there.

posted 11-10-08 02:37 PM CT (US)     25 / 42  
So you mean all your scenarios came from straight from the random map generator? You lucky dog.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 11-10-08 03:01 PM CT (US)     26 / 42  
Julius, I'm assuming you mean that for 50 of something you'd need to type 50, that kind of thing right? This is quite exciting if so, as I claimed I could transfer resources in a much less cumbersome way and I still believe I can, so I'd better get to work.

D_B

posted 11-10-08 03:16 PM CT (US)     27 / 42  
Tell us or we'll lynch you!

me
posted 11-10-08 03:24 PM CT (US)     28 / 42  
Yes, more or less. For example, you could have, 500 gold and 3 paladins gives you taunt 122 while 200 gold and 1 paladin gives you taunt 156. If you've come up with a smooth, simple way of doing this, you are brilliant.
So you mean all your scenarios came from straight from the random map generator? You lucky dog.
Well, I have people to push the 'Generate Random Map' button for me. But you were almost there.

posted 11-10-08 05:35 PM CT (US)     29 / 42  
That's good then. i was worried before I stopped posting a while back that I'd said too much and someone else would crack it. I have the process in place, it's now just a case of debugging, so (assuming I'm not lazy), I would hope that within a month you'll all have the chance to test it out.

D_B

posted 11-10-08 05:56 PM CT (US)     30 / 42  
I'm so old-school I don't even use the editor.
Well, I have people to push the 'Generate Random Map' button for me.
You are a hilarious character Julius.
Yes, more or less. For example, you could have, 500 gold and 3 paladins gives you taunt 122 while 200 gold and 1 paladin gives you taunt 156. If you've come up with a smooth, simple way of doing this, you are brilliant.
Doesn't this require Data editting or Ai scripting(something like that)??

posted 11-10-08 06:38 PM CT (US)     31 / 42  
Welcome back d_b! I just came back, myself, a few days ago. It feels a little different, but still the same old AoKH!

.•°*”˜˜”*°•. FuzzyFurry25 .•°*”˜˜”*°•.
I am the one and only "mr. proofreader" of the Scenario Design FAQ
"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required" - Winston Churchill
"Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born" - Ronald Reagan
posted 11-10-08 08:14 PM CT (US)     32 / 42  
'sup, d_b? How've you been?

Luke Gevaerts » Website · YouTube · Backloggery

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that.
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." - Frank Zappa

OD · AoKH
posted 11-11-08 02:12 AM CT (US)     33 / 42  
Not been too bad. Got into an online game since I got fed up with the data editing splurge.

No, Hunnic, it definitely doesn't require data editing.

D_B

posted 11-12-08 09:37 AM CT (US)     34 / 42  
Greetings and a kick up the arse butt for being away for so long
Lol, yeah I was working with D_R a while back. We had loads of stuff on the go.
I thought I heard my name We still have like 42 projects to finish, young Stuart. Lol.

EDIT: And to keep the topic rolling... Old school designers are making a come-back. Need to teach these young whipper-snappers how to do things using good ol' trigger work and 3am finishes, lol.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         

[This message has been edited by Dark_Reign (edited 11-12-2008 @ 09:41 AM).]

posted 11-12-08 08:36 PM CT (US)     35 / 42  
I don't get the problem with DAT-editing. Why is it bad?

me
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Greetings and a question
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames