Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: My First Campaign Project: Koncoo
posted 08-09-10 06:09 PM CT (US)   
A couple of you have probably seen my initial Koncoo scenario on the Blacksmith. If you have, you've seen how sad my skills can be. However, drawing on the advice of NewDesigner and Lord Basse, I have finished half-way completely reworking my first scenario, and plan to quickly create the rest for the campaign. It will contain 5-7 scenarios and will display the early history of my favorite imaginary nation, from discovery by Caleb and Christopher, to its and Amael's official recognition from Britain as independent nations. I will give more details after I finish the first scenario: "Landfall." Here are some screens:

See the full album

---By the way, there is a stretch where two units, not of your player, must walk approx. 50 tiles, and you can do nothing in the meantime. Is there any good way to fix the sudden grinding halt in action?

[This message has been edited by MixenDixon (edited 08-09-2010 @ 06:12 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-09-10 06:15 PM CT (US)     1 / 32  
Looks really good! I must say, I love the map design, though I don't think anyone agrees with me because it is so simple

The story sounds good and from the pictures it looks like a fun campaign! Good job

Oh, and, palm trees and pine trees doesn't look good mixed together (second screenshot)

[This message has been edited by Basse (edited 08-09-2010 @ 06:16 PM).]

posted 08-09-10 06:21 PM CT (US)     2 / 32  
Thanks! I've been trying hard to get this right. Oh, thanks for pointing out the tree thing. There was originally a pine forest there, but I replaced it with bamboo and must have missed a couple trees.
Hey, any advise about this: there is a stretch where two units, not of your player, must walk approx. 50 tiles, and you can do nothing in the meantime. Is there any good way to fix the sudden grinding halt in action?
posted 08-09-10 08:39 PM CT (US)     3 / 32  
though I don't think anyone agrees with me because it is so simple
Indeed
MixenDixon, I'm going to give you a short advice based on the screenshots.
From what I see, the map design is lacking eye candy, terrain mixing and elevation. You can play some high-rated scenarios and see what I mean by map design.
But moving that aside, I see the story's original.
I think that if you learn a little more about scenario designing, this is going to be a great campaign.
I wish you good luck.

Scenarios:
Divine War (rated 4.4)
Phoenix trailer (rated 3.8)
Proud Member of Black Forest Studios

It`s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead
posted 08-10-10 02:13 AM CT (US)     4 / 32  
Personally I like the simplistic charm of the map design. However if you want to appeal to the masses then more eye-candy will be needed. This looks like a great start though, and the story already has me interested! Good luck.
posted 08-10-10 06:10 AM CT (US)     5 / 32  
This seems like quite an improvement compared to the original! Hope you didn't find my review too harsh, I tried to be constructive with it.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-10-10 01:27 PM CT (US)     6 / 32  
@Teotl and EdenCook: You actually see only a very small portion of the full environment here. Although I do have more work to be done, there is more than currently meets the eye. I am glad the story seems interesting, though.
@Lord Basse: It was all good. I replied to it, by the way, with some info not in this thread yet. I'm mainly just glad you even bothered to try it out to begin with. lol

Again, does anyone have any suggestions for my 50-square walk (look a couple comments earlier if you don't know)? I need some advice there.
posted 08-10-10 04:26 PM CT (US)     7 / 32  
You could stumble upon a cutscene which can be anything from chatter to a skirmish. You can add a guard that forces you to do something. Add a side objective. There's lots of stuff you can do to make a long trek enjoyable.

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest
posted 08-10-10 05:19 PM CT (US)     8 / 32  
make it a mine field that you have to make your way through, or have several different traps.

-illiterate/Donnieboy
posted 08-11-10 04:52 PM CT (US)     9 / 32  
I'm not sure I was clear that you're not the one with the 50-tile walk, but another player is. In the meantime, you do nothing. Luckily, I found a way out. See, the progression was cut-scene, walk, another cut-scene. So, since the scenes use different units, I simply tasked the units at the beginning of the first cut-scene, so they'd be in place by the next.

By the way, I have a specific instruction color scheme. For dialogue, the text is the player color of the speaking character (duh!). For actual instruction, the text is purple (I don't have or plan to have a purple player). History and narration appears in gray, and setting information appears in green.

[This message has been edited by MixenDixon (edited 08-11-2010 @ 04:55 PM).]

posted 08-11-10 05:07 PM CT (US)     10 / 32  
Sounds good! You know that you can change players colors, right? Just go to player menu and select what color the player will have.
posted 08-11-10 06:18 PM CT (US)     11 / 32  
See the full album
In the topic post when i click the link i get to photobucket and it asks for login. I suppose something went wrong. I thought to look at the full album, but couldnt.

(_(_(_ World of Warcraft _)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Level: 85 Pierce [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|] Class: Warrior[|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_(_(_(_(_(_( = [|]Race: Human [|] = )_)_)_)_)_)_)_)_)
(_(_(_( = WizardBoy: | Proud member of AOK = Click to add population = )_)_)_)
posted 08-11-10 07:48 PM CT (US)     12 / 32  
Oops. I've never used Photobucket before, so I didn't realize I needed to set the album as public. I did now, though, so it should work.

@Basse: I know that. I change player colors a lot.
posted 08-12-10 04:03 AM CT (US)     13 / 32  
Yeah, but you never know
posted 08-12-10 05:10 AM CT (US)     14 / 32  
Good to see a First Project that wont be an utter failure.

Looks good.
posted 08-12-10 10:35 AM CT (US)     15 / 32  
Jecon's first project wasn't an utter failure.

~
[My Dropped RPG Project | Keltos - RPG] [My Finished Games | MGC09 - Where Am I + MGC11 - All For The Horse + Puzzle Racing] [My Current Project | Defense of The Towers]
~~~
A RPG Scenario You Should Play | Tsubasa's Tale | Another RPG Scenario You Should Play | IceQuest
posted 08-14-10 01:27 PM CT (US)     16 / 32  
The first scenario, Landfall, is now over halfway completed. The first half of the scenario has been done and repeatedly fine-tuned, the map is as good as it's gonna' get, and the selectable side quests are fully triggered. I've just begun the second half, and should complete it quickly. When I finish it, I will upload it for testing. Once it's been cleared, I will continue and finish the campaign.
posted 08-18-10 04:17 PM CT (US)     17 / 32  
Landfall is complete! If you guys critique it, I'll fix the remaining problems and continue to finish the campaign. Check it out in the Blacksmith when it goes through.

EDIT: Landfall in now in the Blacksmith. Try it out!

I serve Yahweh, the living God who sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for your sins. He loved you so much He would rather die than be without you, and die He did. Won't you accept the sacrifice?
"This is real love--not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins." 1 John 4:10 (New Living Translation)

[This message has been edited by MixenDixon (edited 08-20-2010 @ 09:25 AM).]

posted 08-23-10 05:43 PM CT (US)     18 / 32  
I need some advice. I've begun work on the second scenario, The Feast, which consists of three or four cut-scenes. There is a hall with a feast, and I'm trying to come up with the best thing for at least the feel of having a banquet table. So far I've only raised the elevation in a thin strip, but that looks weird.

I serve Yahweh, the living God who sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for your sins. He loved you so much He would rather die than be without you, and die He did. Won't you accept the sacrifice?
"This is real love--not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins." 1 John 4:10 (New Living Translation)
posted 08-23-10 06:23 PM CT (US)     19 / 32  
Using the elevation and your creativity is all you can do here sadly. You can take the easy path and just give a view of a darkened building with dialogue describing the scene.

~
~~~
posted 08-24-10 09:34 AM CT (US)     20 / 32  
It appears you're right. I noticed that the market has a decent table in it, but no map-copy tricks allowed it to stand alone. I'm not sure whether or not to make a mod pack or stick with the elevation. Opinions?

posted 08-24-10 10:26 PM CT (US)     21 / 32  

http://img163.imageshack.us/f/aok022e.png/

Feel free to use this as inspiration for your table dilemma. It was the closest I could get to a table.

Man, Dann, you sure did wipe the... flor... with him on that one! BAM! OOO! ~ Aro
posted 08-25-10 08:05 AM CT (US)     22 / 32  
That's similar to mine, but larger with more stuff (and people?) on it. I guess I'll stick with what I have. The rest of the scenario more than makes up for it.

posted 08-25-10 01:22 PM CT (US)     23 / 32  
Did you use the sowned farm terrain as the table top?

~
~~~
posted 08-25-10 02:54 PM CT (US)     24 / 32  
That's a good idea. I've been using Dirt 1, but that sounds a bit better.

posted 08-30-10 08:57 AM CT (US)     25 / 32  
Scenarios one and two, Landfall and The Feast, are complete and refined. Number three, Revasion, is half-way. Any suggestions for delaying a computer's advancement to the Feudal Age?

posted 08-30-10 09:56 AM CT (US)     26 / 32  
Make sure he doesn't have enough resources, whenever you want him to enter Feudal, research it with triggers.

joshua4missions
posted 08-30-10 10:04 AM CT (US)     27 / 32  
The thing is, I want him to have plenty of resources by the time he reaches the Feudal Age. When I tried to prevent the reaching of 500 food, it failed. So I settled for allowing it a little early. I also tried disabling Feudal Age and then researching it with triggers, but that must not work.

posted 08-30-10 10:14 AM CT (US)     28 / 32  
Condition: Technology Researched: Feudal Age
Effect: Tribute 1000 food
Effect: Tribute 1000 gold
Effect: Tribute 1000 stone
Effect: Tribute 1000 wood

That should clear out your problems
posted 08-30-10 03:46 PM CT (US)     29 / 32  
Full setup:
Trigger Name: ~Delay Feudal Age~
Display As Objective: No
Starting State: Off
Trigger Looping: No

Trigger Name: Undo Food
Display as Objective: No
Starting State: On
Trigger Looping: Yes
---
Condition 0: Accumulate Attribute - Food - 500
Effect 0: Tribute - Food - Player 3 > Gaia - 500

Trigger Name: Compensate Resources
Display as Objective: No
Starting State: On
Trigger Looping: No
---
Condition: Researching Technology - Player 3 - Feudal Age
Effect 0: Tribute - Food - Gaia > Player 3 - 1000

When I'm ready to allow advancement, I deactivate the "Undo Food" trigger.

posted 08-31-10 10:17 AM CT (US)     30 / 32  
Well, from the look of it, it looks like it will work
posted 09-07-10 09:52 AM CT (US)     31 / 32  
I now am in an interesting quandary. I have three units, a Long Swordsman, a Halberdier, and a Champion, all to be in a duel cut-scene. They exist in the same place as a previous cut-scene, so they are invisible using the magic frame number. They are also all invincible, so I can control their fight. Now, I have issues. When I start the duel, I task the champion to attack the halberdier, and the champion becomes visible, goes to the halberdier, and doesn't attack. (NOTE: I have already changed diplomacies for the fight). The long swordsman is then tasked to the champion to attack him, but he goes to where the champion was standing before it was tasked. None of them attack each other, even though they are enemies. Help?
---
BTW, would anyone be willing to do some voices for my campaign? I'd send you a list of key phrases to be recorded, and then you could send the audio to me however you wish. I think it would be a good help to my work, so tell me if anyone's interested.

[This message has been edited by MixenDixon (edited 09-07-2010 @ 09:54 AM).]

posted 09-22-10 10:03 AM CT (US)     32 / 32  
I ended up fixing the duel scene, and created a bonus scenario, however, I will have to take a break for a while. And I will likely end up releasing this alongside my Days of Koncoo mod pack.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » My First Campaign Project: Koncoo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames