Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to make a realistic irrigation system
posted 08-11-11 10:46 AM CT (US)   
I discovered this when playing around in the editor. I hope this has not been discovered yet, and if it has, sorry for bringing it back up

Step 1: Place a Farm on your map
Screenshot #1

Step 2: Map copy the mid-tile in the Farm you just places
Screenshot #2

Step 3: Place normal Shallow (any water should work, but you can walk over shallows) where you want the irrigation system
Screenshot #3

Step 4: Paste new Farms from map copy 2 tiles away from the shallow (or water)
Screenshot #4
Screenshot #5

Step 5: Run a test and it should look like this:
Screenshot #6

After you tested, the irrigation system stays in the editor and you won't see the ugly beach
Replies:
posted 08-11-11 10:57 AM CT (US)     1 / 20  
I never understood why people think the beach terrain is so ugly, and I probably never will.

Nice find though! As far as I can remember, I haven't seen it before.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-11-11 10:57 AM CT (US)     2 / 20  
Looks good, Basse!

Great timing, just before the PTC

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
posted 08-11-11 11:04 AM CT (US)     3 / 20  
Isn't this trick used in the ES campaign of the conquerors, the battle at Manzikert? I thought people already knew it.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 08-11-2011 @ 11:18 AM).]

posted 08-11-11 11:06 AM CT (US)     4 / 20  
I've never played the campaigns
posted 08-11-11 11:12 AM CT (US)     5 / 20  
Fred! You should be ashamed of yourself!
Isn't this trick used in the ES campaign of the conquerors, the battle at Manzikert but with water?
Yeah, I remember that farm section, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing... but then, I haven't played the ES campaigns in years, so it very well could be.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-11-11 11:15 AM CT (US)     6 / 20  
nice timing, I'm sure people will use this for the ptc gj

"i keep my female villagers either garrisoned in the town center or pickin' berries where they belong"
posted 08-11-11 11:31 AM CT (US)     7 / 20  
I'm not knocking the idea of having a guide, but I thought this was extremely well known. It's the same idea as in the ES campaign, as farm terrain covers up beach terrain.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios

[This message has been edited by Julius999 (edited 08-11-2011 @ 11:37 AM).]

posted 08-11-11 11:40 AM CT (US)     8 / 20  
I thought the same about "your" irrigation trick Lord Basse used, Julius

Well, at least everybody can know how to make an irrigation system easy
posted 08-11-11 12:03 PM CT (US)     9 / 20  
Hear hear - I for one don't give a flying foodle where a trick originated, but I always appreciate an insight on how to do stuff! I think sometimes people on these forums set a little too much store by who did things first...

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
posted 08-11-11 12:07 PM CT (US)     10 / 20  
I've done this trick before using other water terrains, although I never thought of applying this to shallows.
posted 08-11-11 12:24 PM CT (US)     11 / 20  
I thought the same about "your" irrigation trick Lord Basse used, Julius
As did I. But he insisted on giving me credit.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 08-11-11 12:32 PM CT (US)     12 / 20  
That one I definitely hadn't seen before!

On second thought I have used this trick myself many times, but with water. How it slipped my mind that it was the same thing but with shallows is beyond me.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 08-12-11 05:50 AM CT (US)     13 / 20  
It is found in the theme of Cappodocia in the Battle of Manzikert from the Battles of the Conquerors campaign. Still, well done on demonstrating it step-by-step with pictures.
posted 08-12-11 06:17 PM CT (US)     14 / 20  
i did this, and if you apply elevation right, it comes out even better. you get a near perfect irrigation system.
posted 08-13-11 05:28 AM CT (US)     15 / 20  
*Makes more notes for PTC11* I still don't use enough elevation...

posted 08-13-11 05:33 AM CT (US)     16 / 20  
Off-topic: NowhereT, if you still haven't ditched Copperbeard, I suggest you take a look at this.
posted 08-13-11 11:13 AM CT (US)     17 / 20  
how is something to look realistic if you don't use elevation? even prairies aren't flat.... although I do find those hard to make. I haven't developed a good terrain mixing process for grasslands yet.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 08-13-11 11:57 AM CT (US)     18 / 20  
CarolKarine, most fields I've seen don't have "hills" on them, maybe one could add a bit elevation at some places, but that would probably ruin the shallow
posted 08-13-11 12:00 PM CT (US)     19 / 20  
@Watson - I haven't absolutely ditched Copperbeard, but I also haven't done anything on it for about a month... I played Bertie's Quest (I think it hit the blacksmith at the same time as something of mine so it caught my eye), it was a nice and different game

@CarolKarine - Elevation can add a lot of realism to a scenario (even the stepped elevation AOK offers!) but I keep forgetting to add enough and it becomes an afterthought :/ Although, as Basse says, a lot of fields in real life actually are pretty flat. The fields by my house, for example probably have a net change of maybe +1 elevation in AOK terms, and I live on the side of a hill!

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 08-13-2011 @ 12:02 PM).]

posted 08-13-11 12:10 PM CT (US)     20 / 20  
Try to get into the habit of placing elevation first judging by the type of landscape you want, adding any cliffs and water in the process. I'll usually have a large area of map done first like this before moving onto anything else - almost as if I've used a height map to layout the earth.

I find it easier this way to make more realistic maps as you arn't building unrealistic elevation around houses, your building houses depending on the landscape. Your placing roads where flatter ground is and building villages in spots near water and defence, you're elevation isn't so random and you're cliffs arnt square.

Well, that's the way I see it. Then you can just alter the elevation slightly if need be as you go and start terrain mixing nicely. I usually do all my elevation/cliffs etc first, then my dirt 3, dirt 2 and dirt 1 around the hill edges and cliff basins, using grass 3 to help blend it too. I then start to manually place trees/rocks and then other objects until it develops into a nice looking scene, terrain mixing along the way if necessary.

Similar concept with towns and villages, placing roads, farm and buildings around realistic points in the landscape.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 08-13-2011 @ 12:11 PM).]

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » How to make a realistic irrigation system
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames