You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Best Screenshot Competition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 03-13-04 11:15 PM CT (US)   
It might just be me, but I've found SD to be rather slow lately. Even though Luke has come back, there've been few good projects released lately, and nothing of consequence really has come up. So I started this.

Welcome to the Second Annual Screenshot Competition!

Imagine yourself as a cameraman with every tool as your disposal. You have the ability to manipulate the terrain as you see fit, adding living and inanimate objects as you see fit, all in search of that perfect shot.

Here you have that ability. Map design is one of the more articulate parts of scenario designing. A player's first impression is often how well the scenery has been created. This is everyone's chance to show off their map designing abilities and beat out everyone, all while getting to see some nice landscapes in the process.

Rules:

• The deadline has passed. All submitions have been made final, and no more entries will be accepted.
  • You must submit your own screenshots in .jpg format, placed in a .zip file if so desired. I do not have the best Internet connection. If you are unsure of how to change the file type of a .bmp, open it in MS Paint and Save As a .jpg. I will have to limit all contestants to one screenshot per category. Screenshots may be made and staged solely for this contest; that's what photography is all about, no?
  • All elements in the screenshot must come directly from the game. Creativity is allowed; feel free to use in-game text, or even the cursor if you must, but Modpacks will not be allowed. The only tampering of the screenshot allowed will be:
    -Censoring of the mini map.
    -File type change to .jpg.
    -Cropping of the top and bottom game information. (Only this may be cropped.)
    Any other changes will result in disqualification of that screenshot. Of these, only the file type change is mandatory, and none of these will affect the judging in any way.
  • I have gone to great lengths to provide resources for you photographers. Believe me, getting control of several trampolines isn't cheap. However, since you can only jump so high on a trampoline, it would seem you are limited in the amount of land you can photograph, aproximately the size of an 1024x768 photograph. You are a photographer, not an astronaut; full map screenshots are not allowed.
  • Submitions may be sent to me in two ways. You may send the files in .zip format as an attachment to bizubs@prodigy.net, or you may upload it yourself, and either post or e-mail me the URL. I ask that when sending your e-mail you please include your forum name, or I will assume that you do not mind your real name be given out in this thread. I also ask that you please appropriately name your screenshots, so that I may know at a glance in which category you would like them to be entered. The deadline for entires is April 1st. This means that all e-mails/posts must be submitted at March 31, 11:59 PM forum time.

A special note of thanks to Angel Aro for his hard work!

Judging:
    Judging Phases:

Phase I: To reorganize my screenshot folder.
    I have over 22 MB of screenshots, and unfortunately I was stupid enough to sort them all by contestant instead of category. It will take me a good 30 minutes to resort them.

Phase II: To start evaluating the screenshots.
    Once they are all sorted, I can look at all of them and give them my own little score, which is a combination of creativity, professionalism (for example, having patches of grass 1 at the edges hurts the impression), and overall look.

Phase III: To rate the screenshots.
    I then have to decide on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, with the help of my sister, who will provide occasional commentary behind my back. I plan to nearly shut her out, but her comments will have a small effect on judging.

Phase IV: To upload the screenshots.
    Ugh. This will be the hard part. I'm likely going to have to spread the screenshots across both my Geocities accounts, and overall this will be very time consuming.

Phase V: To post the winners.
    This is what you've all been waiting for. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening for a day or two. Please have patience, and I apologize for the suspense and annoyance.

Phase V: The Winners!.

Best Forest Scene

1st: Aftermath
    2nd: The Adder
    3rd: AnastasiaKafka

Colosseum
    DrunkenCelt
    Great Emperor
    Lord Fadawah
    MicroM336
    Raptor the Good
    The X King
    zyxomma100

Best Battle Scene

1st: AoC_DaVe
    2nd: MicroM336
    3rd: Lord Typaer

Aftermath
    Berserker Jerker
    DrunkenCelt
    GeNeRaL_AnZac
    kevingamer_AcX_
    larmir
    Lord Fadawah
    Medieval Warfare

Best Jungle Scene

1st: AnastasiaKafka
    2nd: The X King
    3rd: PaulC2001

Colosseum
    Raptor the Good

Best Winter Scene

1st: Dark_Warrior_1_
    2nd: The X King
    3rd: Lord SnakeEyes

Aftermath
    AnastasiaKafka
    Great Emperor
    kevingamer_AcX_
    MicroM336
    PaulC2001
    Raptor the Good
    AoC_DaVe
    zyxomma100

Best Naval Scene

1st: Lord_Fadawah
    2nd: AnastasiaKafka
    3rd: Colosseum

GeNeRaL_AnZac
    kevingamer_AcX_
    Lord Snakeeyes
    PaulC2001

Best Town Design

1st: MicroM336
    2nd: Aftermath
    3rd: Lord_Fadawah

Berserker Jerker
    crasher
    Lord Snakeeyes
    Raptor the Good
    The X King
    zyxomma100

Funniest Screenshot

1st: PaulC2001
    2nd: Enrique Orduno
    3rd: DrunkenCelt

Darckredd
    Lord Fadawah
    Raptor the Good
    The X King
    zyxomma100

Edit: March 30, 2006. For some reason many of the images over the past years got erased. I've been working over the past few days to get them back up, and now I'm happy to say that for the first time all the images of the 2004 Screenshot Competition are viewable in their entirety. Many thanks to Dark_Aro and to AnastasiaKafka for hosting the files over the past 2 years!

Edit: March 9, 2007. Reuploaded a picture that got erased from Imageshack somehow. I'm not sure exactly what happened... Maybe sometime in the future I will go back and check all the competition threads for broken links. However, until then, I'll leave it to you guys to report them. My goal is to have these pictures available for viewing as long as I'm around at HG (and for many years longer besides), so if any picture is not working anymore, send me an e-mail (check my profile) and I'll get it back up ASAP.

zyxomma100- Age of Kings Heaven forumer
    Proudly thwarting Dark_Aro's evil plans since 2002
    "There is nothing more sad than watching a teutonic knight chasing a petard."

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 03-09-2007 @ 11:10 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 03-21-04 11:46 PM CT (US)     141 / 417  
    Isn't the limit 1024x768, 'cause that's what mine is.

-MicroM336
    Visit my crazy web site here.
    posted 03-22-04 00:03 AM CT (US)     142 / 417  
    *unbans self*
    Good thing I'm a higher level than a Halo.

@ Micro:
    Yes, your picture met the limits. But I can't download the picture for another hour becuase Geocities clamped down ony your bandwidth. I'll get it tomorrow.

posted 03-22-04 10:34 PM CT (US)     143 / 417  
    I've finished my battle screenshot.

[JPEG, (274.83 KB)]

Those shattered trebuchets lying around the place lend a nice effect, don't you think?

posted 03-22-04 11:05 PM CT (US)     144 / 417  
    Sent

I also noticed you confirmed that it was recieved, but my name isn't up there.

| D A R C K R C D D |
    posted 03-22-04 11:11 PM CT (US)     145 / 417  
    Neither was mine when I announced it. Zyxomma100 can't be monitoring this thread 24/7.
    posted 03-22-04 11:19 PM CT (US)     146 / 417  

Quote:

I also noticed you confirmed that it was recieved, but my name isn't up there.

That's because it was too big. New screenshot recieved and added.

@ Fadawah, Micro:
    I'm downloading your pictures now.

Edit: Fadawah, picture received, but Micro, I'm getting the error again. Pleas ejust e-mail to bizubs@prodigy.net.

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 03-23-2004 @ 00:28 AM).]

posted 03-23-04 02:22 AM CT (US)     147 / 417  
    Who's "The Subtractor"?
    posted 03-23-04 02:52 AM CT (US)     148 / 417  
    It's a name I first thought up for Adder.

DR LORENZO
    AoEH | Woad Creations Alumni
    I of course meant bastard in a positive way! - Kor
    I just sort of chop away at it when it gets long enough. The ladies love it. - Obese, on shaving
    Lorenzo is kind of like that relative everyone knows about but won't talk about. - Crimson Knight
    We already knew about the mass murders and gang rapes and ethnic cleansings, but now they've resorted to ENCRYPTING PEOPLES ELECTRONIC DOCUMENTS! - drahnier
    posted 03-23-04 06:50 PM CT (US)     149 / 417  
    since i just so happened to play a bf game today - a very rare occasion, i took a screenshot of me winning and submitted. Its quite full of action if you ask me.
    posted 03-23-04 08:03 PM CT (US)     150 / 417  

Quote:

I've finished my battle screenshot.

Hmmm. Not bad, but too cluttered IMO.
    It looks like a Christmas accident with all that red & green

BTDubya, this is the first time I've used the BBcode for quotes. *Cracks out a few kegs of beer to celebrate*

[This message has been edited by Sir Wiedreich (edited 03-23-2004 @ 08:04 PM).]

posted 03-23-04 08:24 PM CT (US)     151 / 417  
    @ DrunkenCelt:
    Screenshot received... I think. You are Moogle? I though Moogle dropped off the face of the earth.

posted 03-23-04 09:19 PM CT (US)     152 / 417  
    Sent.

(Or at least I think so, I've been having trouble with my e-mail)

posted 03-23-04 11:15 PM CT (US)     153 / 417  
    @ MicroM336:
    Received.

posted 03-24-04 01:39 AM CT (US)     154 / 417  
    posted 03-24-04 07:38 PM CT (US)     155 / 417  
    I've sent two more sreenshots now. One for Best Battle Scene
    and the other for Best Town Design.
    posted 03-24-04 10:13 PM CT (US)     156 / 417  

Quote:

BTDubya, this is the first time I've used the BBcode for quotes. *Cracks out a few kegs of beer to celebrate*

Ooo! Ooo! My 984,365,892,364,964,065,209th time using quotes! *Breaks out a few Kegs of bear to celebrate*

:P

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 03-25-2004 @ 10:00 PM).]

posted 03-24-04 11:13 PM CT (US)     157 / 417  

Quote:

quoute

That many times and you still didn't get it right.

Hey zyx, if one of my friends sends me a screenshot, could I enter it for him? Or is this AoKH members only?

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
    \\\ ==============
    /// AoKH Forumer

[This message has been edited by Raptor the Good (edited 03-24-2004 @ 11:16 PM).]

posted 03-24-04 11:57 PM CT (US)     158 / 417  

Quote:

bear

*Kills a bear, puts it in the blender, and drinks it.*
    I'll try to get screenshots in...*thinks*...by Saturday. If I don't, you have my permission to bludgeon me with the bluntest scimitar you can find.
    *Goes to work creating the coolest battle scene the world has ever known*
    posted 03-25-04 01:19 AM CT (US)     159 / 417  

Quote:

@ DrunkenCelt:
    Screenshot received... I think. You are Moogle? I though Moogle dropped off the face of the earth.

Moogle is dead as a clan, but i still choose to use it as my zone name, theres a few remaining moogles and they just use _Moogle as their zone name, not as a clan association.

posted 03-25-04 12:54 PM CT (US)     160 / 417  
    @ Micro, Fadawah:
    Screenshots received.

@ Fadawah:
    Your friend can enter, just tell me his name or what he would like to be known as. Or better yet, get him to sign up for AOKH.

@ DrunkenCelt:
    There was a Moogle clan? I didn't know that, I was referring to an old forumer named Moogle.

[This message has been edited by zyxomma100 (edited 03-25-2004 @ 12:55 PM).]

posted 03-25-04 12:59 PM CT (US)     161 / 417  
    yes well, he was an aok Moogle. Moogles are critters from the final fantasy games.
    posted 03-25-04 01:35 PM CT (US)     162 / 417  
    Can you start judging this now?

I was the first to enter, and it's starting to get a little boring.

posted 03-25-04 06:46 PM CT (US)     163 / 417  

Quote:

@ Fadawah:
    Your friend can enter, just tell me his name or what he would like to be known as. Or better yet, get him to sign up for AOKH.

Um, that was me, not Fadawah. Anyway, my friend is having a little trouble taking screenshots. I'm not sure what he is doing because I don't know anything about Windows, but he says the screenshot turns out all red and black and pixely.

\\\ ==============
    /// AoKH Forumer

posted 03-26-04 00:03 AM CT (US)     164 / 417  
    @Raptor the Good: I think your friend has pressed print in the game and tried then to past the screen in a bitmap editor. Then comes the all red and blacl pixely screen. All bitmaps will be saved in screenshots folder . Tell your friend to take a look at his screenshots folder.

~~~Member and Admin at DGDN~~~
    Beta Asian Monastery Mod 4.5 | Old Stone 4.5 | Sacred Entrance Mod 5.0 | Stonehenge Mod 4.5 | Weapon Stack Mod 4.5
    Battle of Mayapan 4.0 | The Paladin of Destiny 4.2
    'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.'
    posted 03-26-04 11:58 AM CT (US)     165 / 417  
    Ok, thanks.

\\\ ==============
    /// AoKH Forumer

posted 03-26-04 12:54 PM CT (US)     166 / 417  
    Raptor uses a Mac? That sucks, AI files crash scenarios, or at least used to.

You want fries with that?
    posted 03-26-04 01:04 PM CT (US)     167 / 417  
    Yes, I use a Mac. And yes AoK on Mac is buggy due to a poor, quickly done port of the game.

\\\ ==============
    /// AoKH Forumer

[This message has been edited by Raptor the Good (edited 03-27-2004 @ 06:39 PM).]

posted 03-27-04 04:07 PM CT (US)     168 / 417  
    Here are my entries so far:

Forest scene

Battle scene (not perfect, and many thanks to Echuu for the initial concept I guess)

Snow scene

Town scene

Apologies for loading times, as freewebs does suck

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
    posted 03-27-04 07:15 PM CT (US)     169 / 417  
    Evil...long..loads....

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
    ¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    "i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
    posted 03-27-04 07:38 PM CT (US)     170 / 417  
    Oh my gosh!

\\\ ==============
    /// AoKH Forumer

posted 03-27-04 07:45 PM CT (US)     171 / 417  
    Nice shots, Aftermath... I really like the 'Battle Scene' with the destroyed wall.
    posted 03-27-04 07:54 PM CT (US)     172 / 417  
    Ok. I've sent another screenshot for the Best Winter Scene catagory.

BTW those are really good shots Aftermath.

posted 03-28-04 02:58 AM CT (US)     173 / 417  
    I hope that the order our names are down on doesn't reflect our current position in contest.
    posted 03-28-04 07:42 AM CT (US)     174 / 417  
    Thanks for the compliments guys. There are loads of fine looking entries in here .

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
    posted 03-28-04 01:58 PM CT (US)     175 / 417  

Quote:

I hope that the order our names are down on doesn't reflect our current position in contest.

No, it reflects the order zyx put them in. :P

*edit*

175th post!

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 03-28-2004 @ 01:59 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 12  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Best Screenshot Competition!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames