Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Baldur's Gate revisited
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 03-22-04 04:06 PM CT (US)   
I am thinking about creating an AOK campaign based on the great game Baldur's Gate. I want to stick with only the first game because there is less magic involved. I looked up some threads, and not much had been talked about. So here goes:

1) I would like the plot to follow fairly close to the original story. I am thinking about using cliffs instead of dungeons, any thoughts?

2) PC - I was thinking having a choice between a swordsman, archer, or monk (with summoning powers). I have the RPG lvling up system worked out, using many different character types etc. Is there a way to change the range of a unit?

3) NPCs - I want to have most of the same characters be able to join the party, I am thinking about a two-handed swordsman for Minsc etc. My thought is to force all mages to be Summoners, and just have a mage tower or something from where you would have to cast spells. Any thoughts?

4) Items - I would like to try to modify the cool items you can get into AOK style bonuses. For example, I want to add in the finding of armor, and having that cause the research of archer/plate armor etc. Any thoughts?

5) Money and purchasing. I have to include the stores. I plan on having the main stores and appropriate NPCs, like Beregost and Nashkel smiths, and the High Hedge etc. Any thoughts there?

I think this could be a pretty cool setup, and actually not that difficult, as most of it is already laid out for it by the game. Give me some feedback to what you MUST see in the game, and any trigger ideas for them. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by SwordForTheLord (edited 04-19-2004 @ 05:55 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-22-04 09:03 PM CT (US)     1 / 79  

Quote:

with summoning powers

How do you intend to do this?

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 03-22-04 09:21 PM CT (US)     2 / 79  
ask reich.......

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 03-22-04 09:52 PM CT (US)     3 / 79  
Interesting...

and if you need beta playtesters... email me

¯¨´*·~-.¸ SgtSlaughter ¸,.-~*´¨¯
posted 03-22-04 11:24 PM CT (US)     4 / 79  

Quote:

ask reich.......

OK. How?

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 03-23-04 06:57 AM CT (US)     5 / 79  
BG's story and setting without the wide array of D&D spells and monsters... hmm...

It could be an interesting experience for a short bit, just to see how someone is working with the material. But honestly, I doubt that anything beyond the low magic start of the game is going to fly.

This is a hugely ambitious project. In the Neverwinter Nights community I belong to (ALFA), over the last couple of years some of us discussed a side project of trying to recreate BG/ToSC. Never got beyond the 'yeah that would be fun' talk. NwN has been out for two years, enjoys a thriving custom content community, and no has yet remade BG/ToSC so far as I know. That probably speaks to how daunting a task it is.

Another reason may be that much of the charm of BG is in assembling a party of 6, which NwN's Aurora engine doesn't let you do (instead it uses only one 'henchman'). IMO, it is the art of controling the mix of unique abilities among up to six party members that makes BG so satisfying.

Anyway, to start I would suggest limiting the project to creating only the quest to clear the Nashkell mines. No side quests. Then see how it goes.

You could create the Nashkel mines with cliffs, rocks, and dirt. For the true dungeon crawl areas, eg, Ulcaster, Firewine, Candlekeep catacombs, etc., these areas might be better drawn using road/road broken/road fungus and stone walls in various states of damage, ruins, etc. Not sure if there is a way to make those areas darker, and thereby simulate being indoors...

Addendum:

If you're able to simulate at least some of the level 1 mage spells that should make a big difference.

[This message has been edited by Lemernis (edited 03-23-2004 @ 07:40 AM).]

posted 03-23-04 11:52 AM CT (US)     6 / 79  
Thanks for the input, Lemernis, I am a big fan of NWN too. I know I will not be able to recreate the great game of Baldur's Gate in total, who would want to!?!
I have been trying to make RPGs on AOE for quite a while now, and with the new triggers of AOK, I can get much closer than ever before. I know I have to throw out some stuff right away, but I figure I can use the basics and slim down some detail, and come pretty close. I will make Chapter 1 and release it, like you say, for testing. I have high hopes for it. I have to do some research into the spells, as that is the most obviously lacking part. I'll open other threads for specific questions, and keep this one for general discussion.

Baldur's Gate: Design 95%, Triggers 93%, Map 97%
<On hold for now>
Current Build: 116 (Download it here!)

Favorite AOK-related links:
Laws of Map Editor, FAQ,Dragon Design Articles,Random Tips to Improving your Campaign/Scenario, BBCode Reference

posted 03-23-04 01:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 79  
Also your ideas seem good enough.

can i playtest it as you progress?

ŁĒĮĢĦŊ
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
(¯`·._.Member of Tundra Studios/ A spire labs division._.·´¯)
{¯`·._.Modern Mod Total Conversion._.·´¯}

upcoming ATC Activity attending:
-Flying-
posted 03-23-04 01:44 PM CT (US)     8 / 79  
Sword, I realize it will have to be adapted pretty heavily. It's a fine story in a setting many of us are very fond of, I look forward to it. I'll be fascinated to see what you come up with.
posted 03-23-04 02:08 PM CT (US)     9 / 79  
I was hopeing to be able to playtest the game

can you plz e-mail me when you release the beta PLZ

the_wacko_one@hotmail.com

posted 03-23-04 03:30 PM CT (US)     10 / 79  
Summoning? use the same idea i used for Signature moves on AWT...
Demo in blacksmith,as you all know...

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 03-23-04 05:11 PM CT (US)     11 / 79  
I'll have to get AWT, I haven't played it.

PS - I'll start the demo with a choice of fighter/archer, and add the summoner later, along with more side quests etc., so as to get a move on the main project, good point.

<On hold for now>

Laws of Map Editor, FAQ,Dragon Design Articles,Random Tips to Improving your Campaign/Scenario, BBCode Reference

posted 03-24-04 12:19 PM CT (US)     12 / 79  
Alright, I found a good map to start with, and finished making town of Nashkel and the Nashkel Mines. That brings my map to 20%. I have not placed too much time into eye-candy yet, I'll add that after I get the core game up and running. Unfortunatly, the actual dungeons (like the Nashkel mines) will have to be totally different, as far as layout, but I'll try to add back in most of the side-quests. For now, it's coming along nicely!

For my cutscenes and descriptions, does anyone NOT use the maximum screen resolution? I don't want to spend the time writing all the different resolution tricks if I don't have do.

<On hold for now>

[This message has been edited by SwordForTheLord (edited 03-24-2004 @ 12:20 PM).]

posted 03-24-04 12:22 PM CT (US)     13 / 79  
I have another question for anyone interested in this topic:

What should I use for the PC name? I wish there were a way to set the name in game, but I don't want to write an entire keyboard out of triggers. Sheesh, there's a thought.

<On hold for now>

posted 03-24-04 05:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 79  
Well, the protagonist was named "Abdel" in "Baldur's Gate: A Novelization," the canon version of the tale published by Wizards of the Coast.
posted 03-24-04 05:47 PM CT (US)     15 / 79  
Good call, that'll do just fine. I thought there was a book published. Thanks!

<On hold for now>

posted 03-24-04 10:22 PM CT (US)     16 / 79  

Quote:

What should I use for the PC name? I wish there were a way to set the name in game, but I don't want to write an entire keyboard out of triggers. Sheesh, there's a thought

You would have to total number of triggers in LOAM right there without even starting the scenario!

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 03-24-2004 @ 10:22 PM).]

posted 03-25-04 12:53 PM CT (US)     17 / 79  
Yeah, the scary thing is I actually considered it for a while. Maybe if they ever get that trigger copy thing working, then I'd make it and paste it into all my scenarios from now on. Oh well, not worth the hours for now.

I finished Nashkel town, mines, and circus last night, hopefully I can work out the trigger bugs and release the Chapter 1 beta soon!

<On hold for now>

posted 03-29-04 05:51 PM CT (US)     18 / 79  
I have a follow up question regarding the NPCs involved. I can't figure out what unit to represent various NPCs that I have available to join the party. So far, this is what I have come up with:

Branwen - long swordsman (with spells)
Dynaheir - monk (with spells)
Garrick - ?
Imoen - archer I know, I know, duel to mage...
Jaheira - long swordsman
Khalid - men-at-arms
Kivan - elite longbowman
Minsc - two-handed swordsman
Xan - monk (with spells)

I am modifying their stats, and they will also lvl up, so the given stats for any unit is not that important, but I want them to look good. Any ideas for Garrick?

I will work on balance issues for the monks, but for now, I need to get the units in the game for the trigger scripting.

EDIT: I guess Garrick should be a crossobowman, that would seem to fit, and I need more archers to balance the party out.

<On hold for now>

[This message has been edited by SwordForTheLord (edited 03-29-2004 @ 05:53 PM).]

posted 03-30-04 00:49 AM CT (US)     19 / 79  
What is a "Garrick?"

But off the top of my head...

Arbelest

Nevermind, you already decided on a unit.

After this project, are you going to develop the sequals/x-pack in AoK?

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 03-30-2004 @ 00:51 AM).]

posted 03-30-04 06:07 PM CT (US)     20 / 79  
Garrick is an NPC that joins as a Bard. He mostly plays a harp and buffs other characters, but he fights a little too. He even got a few spells later on. My difficulty was deciding which way he should go, fighter, archer, or monk. Anyway...

The main scenario I am working on will include chapters 1-4. I hope to add an additional scenario with Chapter 5 and 6, but that requires making the massive city of Baldur's Gate, with all the NPCs and commoners etc. Not only that, but most of it is indoors, and adding Candlekeep tower/catacombs etc. Anyway, all that to say, I would like to add the X-pack, but it'll be down the line. Thanks for the interest. I will try to add some version of Durlag's tower, that holds more interest to me than any other part of the expansion.

<On hold for now>

posted 03-30-04 09:59 PM CT (US)     21 / 79  
I didn't know what half of that meant, but it is the price of not keeping up with the RPG world!

What sort of architicture does Baulders Gate use? I might try and help with it... If you'll let me.

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 03-30-04 11:34 PM CT (US)     22 / 79  
Hmm, Garrick. It's been a long time since I played the game and I only tried him once... IIRC Garrick is not a very good melee fighter... Maybe you can find a way to simulate having him improve morale, i.e., slightly boost other players stats for brief periods. But anyway, otherwise during combat I expect I'd be have him providing ranged support with a bow. So I guess I would say archer.

Others you might consider adding:

Edwin - monk
Xzar - monk
Montaron - crossbowman
Ajantis - champion
Kagain - berserker

posted 03-31-04 01:19 PM CT (US)     23 / 79  
Redd, The buildings are similar to AOK, here's a screenshot of one country-town I have made in AOK already. I plan on doing this area, and this one, which will be most challenging.

Progress is coming along. Chapter 1 is almost done. I have written, but not finished the opening cut-scene. I have also designed special-abilities for a few of the different NPCs. If you are familiar with the game, I have made Minsc's rage, Imoen's find trap, and Branwen's spiritual hammer.

<On hold for now>

posted 03-31-04 01:28 PM CT (US)     24 / 79  
wow, amazing
this'll be definitely worth a download, though bg2 was much better than bg1 imho

Bah.
posted 03-31-04 03:16 PM CT (US)     25 / 79  
Have the monk be a missionary. There's nothing worse than having to walk an old man with a stick around.

None of us are free, one of us is chained.
posted 03-31-04 04:06 PM CT (US)     26 / 79  
Yeah, I was thinking about the problems with that. I have the dilemma of going to playability, and using the missionary, or staying with the BG theme, and not using horses. Being slow was going to be one of the balance factors, since monks can't kill stuff like everyone else.

The monks are going to keep their conversion ability, but not to the major bosses. I plan on having the classic scenes:

Quote:

"you have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself!"

This would be much more effective if I use the monk instead of the missionary.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I am still debating that point.

<On hold for now>

posted 03-31-04 08:38 PM CT (US)     27 / 79  
hey, i'll playtest. send it to thebobmiester12@AOL.com
posted 04-01-04 12:47 PM CT (US)     28 / 79  
This will be my first upload to the blacksmith, so I'll need lots of feedback between the beta and the final 'gold' release to get reviewed. Once I finish the cut-scene, and tie up some loose ends with triggers, then I'll release the beta to everyone. Thanks for the support, I look forward to getting it all working, I think I'll even enjoy playing it myself when it's done.

<On hold for now>

[This message has been edited by SwordForTheLord (edited 04-02-2004 @ 02:55 PM).]

posted 04-01-04 10:49 PM CT (US)     29 / 79  
So, should I start the city of Bauldurs Gate?

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 04-01-04 10:52 PM CT (US)     30 / 79  
Hey, that would be cool. I am planning on having the game finish when you step onto the edge of the BG bridge, using the very top corner of the map. The further into this project I get, the longer it looks to be, so I probably won't get around to adding chapter 5 of the game. Good idea!

<On hold for now>

posted 04-02-04 01:07 AM CT (US)     31 / 79  
...Sooooooo... Yes?

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 04-02-04 02:55 PM CT (US)     32 / 79  
That would be a yes.

<On hold for now>

posted 04-03-04 00:23 AM CT (US)     33 / 79  
OK... I decided to mix up Western Euro and Central Euro Architicture. Also, it would be cool if there were embassies in Baulders Gate from other nations... OK?

*edit*

Is there a lot of military instilations in the city?

| D A R C K R C D D |

[This message has been edited by DarckRedd (edited 04-03-2004 @ 00:32 AM).]

posted 04-03-04 07:52 PM CT (US)     34 / 79  
There are plenty of maps to follow, here is just one example, but there are many maps to the entire city, and if you haven't played the game, take a look at the entire map to get a feel for it. If you don't care to follow the script, then just have fun making a massive city!

<On hold for now>

posted 04-04-04 06:13 PM CT (US)     35 / 79  
I never played buldurs gate so i dont know much about it but you can give a cleric a "death spell" but having comp research that tech that makes there usits destroyed when converted.and i never tried this so i dont know if it works but a damage spell with
Condition. object selected-Than make target a boss or something
Accumalate attribute-# stone
Timer-# whatever you want
Effect.Change object hp -# what ever you want
Tribute-#stone to gaia

Mana regen
Trigger loop
Starting state-On
Condition. Timer-# what ever you want
Effect send tribute-# stone

Stone can be mana and it should regen over time
And for summoning, you can make a trigger with create object as the effect and object can be wolf.and condition is what ever you want like accumalate atribute # stone and object select(a "magic" item like statue) and tribute # stone to gaia

Only way to change units range is through researching tech

and gold can be money and when you bring object to store and select object you can make trigger like remove object(current Unit) create object (Upgraded unit or something like that) and send tribute (gold) to player your buying from.Oh yeah you can put acumalte tribute (gold) as a condition

I hope this helps.I use some of these triggers for my scenerio and plan on using them all.

[This message has been edited by EQ_Ranger (edited 04-04-2004 @ 06:17 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Baldur's Gate revisited
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames